Royal Caribbean is dropping its printed daily activity sheet, will soon only be on app. Can Celebrity be far behind?

Bill Miller

Royal Caribbean is dropping its printed daily activity sheet in favor of an electronic delivery through the Royal Caribbean app. You'll also be able to access this information on electronic signs through out the ship. This is part of Royals effort to go green, but it's also a money saver in paper and printing.

We can expect Celebrity to follow this plan. The Celebrity app is already there for the most part.

What do you think? Do you like having the daily activity printed sheet in your hands to plan the next days activities or are you cool with the strictly Celebrity app version on your cell phone?

• Like 1

We carry the paper  schedule tear off  with a yellow highlighter.  We,NEVER carry a phone around a ship while  on vacation!  We will bring paper and pencil to write down our own list ...if X goes the Royalized way!

We have been told that info on the app is often WRONG..as to times, dates and events...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

They are presuming that everyone had a smart phone or tablet.  

I own both but they aren’t attached to me and not part of my body.   90% of the time they are left in my cabin. The other is if we go somewhere to relax and I want to read something.  I like to travel light and  only carry my sea pass card when on board.   I don’t need to converse with anyone other than my wife or maybe other passengers.   

I like and always use the daily paper for the activities,  bar hours, shows port authority contact and etc 

If they want to do away with paper waste then they should eliminate the art auction and spa fliers.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

We carry the paper  schedule tear off  with a yellow highlighter.  We,NEVER carry a phone around a ship while  on vacation!  We will bring paper and pencil to write down our own list ...if X goes the Royalized way!

Ditto. 😉

Was on the Wonder of the Seas two weeks ago when they announced this was the first cruise where they were going green with the electronic version of Compass.  You download it from the app as a PDF, but then you have to spend time scrolling around the document (it's not page formatted) and zooming in to read it.  It was horrible.  I asked our attendant for the old paper copy and he happily obliged for the rest of the cruise.  Not sure how long they will continue to provide hard copies, but this push by cruise lines to force you to use your phone for everything while on vacation is just plain annoying.

• Like 14

Stick with the app. It's searchable. You can add events to your calendar. It doesn't require printing and it doesn't create waste to recycle.

But that's how I do almost everything. The only highlighter I've used in years is the highlight option in Adobe and Office applications. The phone will almost always be with me because it's also my camera.

But if all they're doing is delivering a PDF of a paper formatted document, then no. It's not readable on a phone. The best electronic deliveries don't try to look like the paper version.

But that's me...

• Like 7

Just did a cruise on another line.  No daily sheet. Activities were listed on cabin tv.  After a few days of missing stuff, we asked for paper copy and got it.  I don’t use my phone on ships.  Turn it off and lock it in safe.  When I was on Summit in June, I downloaded the app and found it worthless.  There was a daily sheet, but no info or maps for ports.  Many people do NOT live on phones.  Sadly, too many people need to be connected.

• Like 6

It should be made as an option. If you want paper, then the cabin steward will deliver as usual. If you want paperless, then get the info online, and they can cut down on the number printed. Should suit everyone. Its logical, so its why it probably won’t be done!

• Like 18

59 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

In the interests of the environment paper copies should be ended. 

Oh please, all of this paper is completely recyclable. This is not saving the planet, only saving cruise lines money.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

The issue is that the app is not always current.  My sailing on Summit had info on ports cancelled days ago due to the hurricane.   Another issue is demographic.  Celebrity trends older, and often much older. A good number of the much older crowd (not all I know) don't have smart phones.

• Like 2

I personally prefer the app as it is always up to date, and updated when new items get added at the last minute that were not on the paper copy. 

I don't care about the cost savings (because we know that we - the customer - won't see a penny of that savings) but the environmental impact would be significant and something I could support.

5 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

I personally prefer the app as it is always up to date...

Unless it isn't 😏

I distinctly recall scratching my head over the app's 'perfect day in Dubai' recommendations and explanations about Singapore disembarkation on my last Caribbean cruise...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Fine with me. I like the pop up reminders in the app when you have added something to your calendar. 

Except for spa appointments and some other events that don't since there seems to be no way to add them.  

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

Except for spa appointments and some other events that don't since there seems to be no way to add them.  

True. And a frustration. But they’re not on the daily either. Some events are, but the daily shows the spa hours, not you appointment. 

4 minutes ago, markeb said:

True. And a frustration. But they’re not on the daily either. Some events are, but the daily shows the spa hours, not you appointment. 

Granted, but for the app to be truly useful for reminders, it needs to he possible to add them manually if need be, especially to avoid conflicts.

28 minutes ago, canderson said:

Unless it isn't 😏

I distinctly recall scratching my head over the app's 'perfect day in Dubai' recommendations and explanations about Singapore disembarkation on my last Caribbean cruise...

It isn’t, far more activities in the printout