Who watched the Real Love Boat?

Roatanfans

1 hour ago, caribill said:

And hopefully anyone who does book Princess because they saw this show will not expect to have dinner at "The Captain's Table" with a Captain who feels an important part of his job is to promote romance.

That person will be disappointed.

In 2015, Princess did a 50th Anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess II, following the original itineraries of the TV show (modified) with the original TV show cast on board.  Jack Jones sang the theme song at the sail away party.  The cruise was two weeks long, and the cast members intermingled with the guests and even ate alongside them in the MDR.  There were plenty of cameras on board, so I wondered later why Princess wasn't using this cruise as advertisement.  Maybe the "new" Princess was a plan even then.  

There are people here on CC who remember this, but I won't "out" them.  🙂  We can remember a truly class-act cruise.  When they sold the Pacific Princess, I guess the handwriting was on the wall.

• Like 3

Princess has a love boat theme cruise in 2weeks on the discovery going out of San Pedro to Mexico with the cast of the TV show on board I will be on that sailing.  As to the reality show I watched the first episode and it was pretty awful.  But I do like jerry O'Connell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kay S said:

There are people here on CC who remember this, but I won't "out" them.  🙂  We can remember a truly class-act cruise.  When they sold the Pacific Princess, I guess the handwriting was on the wall.

That was a fantastic (sold out) cruise. Even the President of Princess, who had been scheduled to be on the cruise, had to give up her full suite and skip the cruise so that GTY passengers could be accommodated.

891205 016 12.05.15 'Love Boat' cast for Q&A DSC07381m.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, caribill said:

That was a fantastic (sold out) cruise. Even the President of Princess, who had been scheduled to be on the cruise, had to give up her full suite and skip the cruise so that GTY passengers could be accommodated.

891205 016 12.05.15 'Love Boat' cast for Q&A DSC07381m.jpg

Sold out for years in advance!  Cast members even went on excursions with us commoners.  Everyone one of them was so nice and like regular folk.  (High point of my life:  Ted Lange laughed at one of my jokes during lounge.)  Sammy the cruise director was the best Princess ever had, IMO.  Those were the days...  Sigh...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

The wrong kind of customers, IMHO. 

With the Sun Princess and her sisters being built with larger capacity different marketing strategies need to be implemented in order to spur additional cruisers to try Princess.

I will infer that you don't like the fact that possibly some younger cruisers would try out Princess and this rubs you the wrong way.  

Learned a long time ago that we don't make the rules we just play the game.  If you don't like the game that the bean counters are playing at Princess, you do have other lines you can sail with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

That person will be disappointed.

In 2015, Princess did a 50th Anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess II, following the original itineraries of the TV show (modified) with the original TV show cast on board.  Jack Jones sang the theme song at the sail away party.  The cruise was two weeks long, and the cast members intermingled with the guests and even ate alongside them in the MDR.  There were plenty of cameras on board, so I wondered later why Princess wasn't using this cruise as advertisement.  Maybe the "new" Princess was a plan even then.  

My dad who was 84 at the time went on that cruise solo and had such a good time. He had conversations around the ship with several of the cast members. I'm so happy he got to experience that.

ETA: He didn't think he was going to clear the wait list at 116 but he did. We were all shocked.

Edited by tonit964
Added info
  • Like 3

We’ll see how the rest of the episodes play out, but I couldn’t help but think that first episode will give potential new customers a false sense of what cruising is like: every cabin is a giant suite, every cruiser is an attractive 20 or 30 something, the pool deck is empty and it will be easy to find a lounger. Although, I suppose the original probably did some of that too.

I also happened to be reading an Amazing Race board today. Their opinion seemed to be that this show was poorly placed in between Survivor and The Amazing Race and that fans of those shows have no interest in watching The Real Love Boat or cruising.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cruiser933 said:

I also happened to be reading an Amazing Race board today. Their opinion seemed to be that this show was poorly placed in between Survivor and The Amazing Race and that fans of those shows have no interest in watching The Real Love Boat or cruising.

I am a huge Survivor fan (watched every season since the first one) and I love cruising, so maybe I'm the exception to that TAR boards opinion.  But then I lost interest in TAR a few years ago when they went too heavy into the of stories of the contestants and the stunt casting of teams, but I still respect that show. 

As others have said, the Real Love Boat seems to be a rip-off of The Bachelor/Bachelorette & Love Island franchises, only set on a cruise ship instead of a castle in the south of France or a "tropical" island.  I never watched any of those shows, so why would I want to watch this one?  I know I'm not their demographic anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If you don't like the game that the bean counters are playing at Princess, you do have other lines you can sail with.

Sad this is how it must be, but, yes, we will be moving on.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cruiser933 said:

We’ll see how the rest of the episodes play out, but I couldn’t help but think that first episode will give potential new customers a false sense of what cruising is like: every cabin is a giant suite, every cruiser is an attractive 20 or 30 something, the pool deck is empty and it will be easy to find a lounger. Although, I suppose the original probably did some of that too.

The original show was fiction and presented as such.  This new one is reality TV and selling the illusion (as all reality shows do) that this is real life.  Unwitting customers who buy the illusion will find out soon enough if cruising is for them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Sad this is how it must be, but, yes, we will be moving on.

If you prefer the older, smaller ships in the fleet instead of the newer larger ships of the Royal and Sun Classes, you still have choices and there is no reason for you to move on.  

Now of course if there are other reasons, Celebrity or Holland are calling.  

7 hours ago, caribill said:

The original show is credited with really introducing the idea of cruising itself to the general public. Before that show there had not been knowledge of and demand for this type of vacation.

In large, maybe, but don't forget the Columbo episode, "Troubled Waters," two years earlier (1975), which perhaps popularized murder at sea.

And I think there are dozens and dozens of great old movies featuring cruise ships, such as the Marx Brothers ("A Night at the Opera") and Marilyn Monroe ("Gentlemen Prefer Blondes") - which certainly made me interested in cruising!

Oh, and I guess a few movies about big cruise ships that didn't end so well for the ships!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

There are other lines with smaller ships, and a more 'refined' atmosphere and food and service.

(Princess just, very simply, is not one of them)

Whatever floats your boat!!!

It all comes down to you get what you pay for.  That's why many will shell out more money to sail on Oceania, Viking, Seaborne, Azamara etc.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, c-boy said:

geez tough crowd in here. I can't shake the thought of your guys throwing the towel in at half time just cause your down six points.  

A. You're assuming we guys are even interested in whatever sport you were alluding to in the first place or

B. had a team we cared enough to root for.

Princess may well be trying to attract a younger demographic by being attached to this series. But they are cheapening their product in the process, just by association.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, c-boy said:

geez tough crowd in here. I can't shake the thought of your guys throwing the towel in at half time just cause your down six points.  

Nope. I watched the whole game but in the end my home team lost……it was an embarrassment. I’m going to watch one more game and if we have a repeat performance I’ll be done for the season. I really did want to like this show but it was so boring! 🥱

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Princess may well be trying to attract a younger demographic by being attached to this series. But they are cheapening their product in the process, just by association.

They need to think out of the box in order to fill the Sun Class ships because of the increased cruiser capacity.  Once again, if you no longer feel that Princess fits your idea of a good vacation, vote with your wallet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 9:35 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I made it to the second commercial.  I recorded it, but don’t have high expectations for the rest.  It made me miss the original Love Boat even more. 

I didn’t make it beyond the introduction.  I have it recorded but seriously doubt I will watch it.  I did suffer through the “The Real Love Boat Kick-Off” on YouTube, though, as painful as it was.  Princess, what are you doing?!

• Like 1