First time Hawaii: Cruise vs flying + hotel?

thermal

I've never been to Hawaii.   I'm considering a trip next May, and am debating between two options: 

A) 5 days hotel + airfare = $3000 

B) 18 day cruise with Holland America: Vancouver -> Hawaii islands 6 days -> Vancouver = $3300 in an interior cabin.   This would be a solo trip. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/H3H18B/K327.html

I wonder if something significant would be lost by not being immersed in Hawaii on the ground?   This may be a once in a lifetime trip.  

Any feedback would be appreciated.  

Edit: I might add that I live in Vancouver, Canada. 

Edited by thermal

How much interest do you have in Hawaii? That will answer your questions. Hawaii is a beautiful place to visit,  with much history and cultural value. It's a fun place to visit. But if you are just interested in a "drive by" visit,  then a cruise will probably satisfy you.

In order to help you determine this, research is required. Start with the Hawaii board on Cruise Critic. Watch a travel show or two, as well as a documentary or two.

• Like 6

To compare the 2 you'd have to look more closely at what you could do with the time available . A land vacation would be 24/7 in one place (which island?), so you could explore in depth without regard for an all aboard deadline early in the evening or late afternoon. OTOH, the cruise would permit a (very) small sample of what several different islands have to offer, but again you are severely limited to time. 12 of those 18 days would be at sea. And you'd only have an interior cabin.

There's no right or wrong; only what appeals most to you at this time.

• Like 1

I agree about the 'why you want to see Hawaii' post.  If you're looking forward to walking along the beach in warm water, drinks with umbrellas, water sports and taking shore excursions to be entertained on each island, the cruise is a far better 'deal'.  All depends on your wishes and wants.  We're booked over Christmas in an aft-facing cabin and I'm not sure we will care if we get off the ship or not ... we're there to relax and soak up the soft breezes of the Hawaiian Islands as well as experiencing the hedonism of the cruise itself.

Edited by jsn55
clarity

Another possibility is a cruise within Hawaii:  NCL's Pride of America.

It does a 7 day cruise every week, with an overnight at Maui, then a call at Hilo, then at the other side of the Big Island, then an overnight at Kauai, and then back to Honolulu.

Basically, the hotel follows you around, and you'd have a chance to see a bit of several islands.

Note:  We have not been on that cruise, but have it on our list.  We aren't eager to island hop by little planes, as that would eat up too much time.

Or we might stay several days on each of two islands... TBD.

GC

• Like 1

We enjoyed a HAL cruise stopping at Maui, Honolulu (overnight), a couple of stops on the big island (including a midnight dead in the water about a mile from the lava spewing into the sea) and a couple of other islands.  True, we are not that great fans of Hawaii, so the sailing each way plus the few stops made an ideal combination.   It all depends on your preferences.

• Like 1

We have sailed on the Pride of America, it is in my opinion the idea way to visit Hawaii the first time. With a couple of days in Honolulu pre or post cruise you get an excellent overview of the islands. When we return to the islands we will probably do a land vacation now that we know which island we like best.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

When comparing cost, remember that with the land trip, your meals are not included, unless you book an AI.  And if you want to see more than one island, that is an additional not insignificant expense.  EM

There aren't any all inclusives in Hawaii.

There are pros and cons. There is so much these beautiful islands have to offer. To truly experience all of it, I would say you need 3+ weeks. That just isn't feasible for most people due to cost, distance, and time.

We did 8 days on land between Kauai and Oahu. I absolutely loved every second of it. We were able to do quite of few things that would have been difficult on a cruise. Although, in that 8 days, we did not experience Maui or the big island. 5 days on land certainly doesn't have a huge advantage over 6 cruise days to Hawaii.

Many cruises have 5 solid days in port and may hit Kauai, Oahu, Kona, Hilo, and Maui. Which it looks like this cruise does. It gives you at least 10 hours in port. Some 14, one overnight. That is very difficult and costly to hit those otherwise. Having your room travel when you sleep is a nice way to get around these islands. Plus, there are additional days on the cruise as well.

I'd pick the cruise. If it ends up being a place you love, you can always go back.

• Like 3

Far too many sea days for me with the Hawaii itinerary.  With potential rough seas out there in Pacific, it also doesn't appeal.  There are no islands to get behind on the way from San Diego and former cruisers will tell you it can be rough or it can be smooth.  

I'd opt for land but not 5 days; that is far too short for Hawaii.  Shop around.  We usually do airbnb because we don't want to eat out everyday, rent a car and flight.  It will take a bit more work to organize than for a cruise.  If you don't think you are going to do much in terms of moving around then maybe a cruise is easiest for you.  Keep in mind that excursions and extras will add to your cost for the cruise, so compare apples to apples.  

12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

When comparing cost, remember that with the land trip, your meals are not included, unless you book an AI.  And if you want to see more than one island, that is an additional not insignificant expense.  EM

True could be said for tips, excursions, upgraded meals on a cruise - all of this is extra.  She has to compare apples to apples to get a true cost.  

21 hours ago, thermal said:

I've never been to Hawaii.   I'm considering a trip next May, and am debating between two options: 

A) 5 days hotel + airfare = $3000 

B) 18 day cruise with Holland America: Vancouver -> Hawaii islands 6 days -> Vancouver = $3300 in an interior cabin.   This would be a solo trip. 

I wonder if something significant would be lost by not being immersed in Hawaii on the ground? 

Have done both. Both have their advantages and disadvantages! I don't know about being immersed, but staying in one place (we were on the Kona side of Big Island) allows you to do multiple things: we went to National Park(s), a botanical garden (there are several), the black sand beach, horse riding, down in a submarine, and to a luau! That's what I remember! As far as budgeting, you will probably want a rental car, and several if not all of the experiences have fees.

The circle Hawaii cruises allow varied experiences, we toured several of the islands with native guides, visiting coffee plantation, a "blow-hole", hearing about past sugar-cane and pineapple growing, also about surfing and "polynesian" type rafting across the Pacific! We visited the Pearl Harbor Historic Park in Honolulu and a (different) botanical garden in Hilo. The various islands let you have different weather (even the two sides of Big Island are very different). 

Have you cruised before? Five or six days in a row each way may not be the BEST first cruise... although the Koningsdam has multiple venues to occupy you!

Either way you need to increase your budget over the amounts you have above. Rental car (unless you, say, stay in Honolulu and avail of tours only for transportation) and meals for flying there, and minimum of $279 for automatic Crew Appreciation (gratuities) for cruising plus additional excursions.

I would not be interested in Pride of America (flying plus island hopping) as an option. I feel that it has the worst of both of your choices: It is expensive, you have to fly, and you get just a small a taste of a few islands.

• Like 1

A couple of posters has suggested Pride of America for a 7 day cruise visiting several Hawaiian ports.  This would be a good sampler, but, when I considered this ship, the per day cost was much too high.  

As others have said, the OP needs to determine what aspect of the Islands appeals the most.  If choosing a land vacation, on which island would appeal the most to you would be your next decision.  Each island has its own "vibe".  I have cruised (more than once) and at the end of one cruise spent a few days on Kauai with a rental car and staying at a resort.  Did enjoy those few days very much and was able to visit some places that I had not been able to do during the cruise.  

Difficult, but, a fun decision!  

• Like 1

We did the roundtrip cruise option a few years ago.  It was perfect for us.  A highlight of the sea days was the opportunity to attend classes in hula, ukelele, jewelry making, etc.  That added a lot, IMO, to our appreciation of our ports.  (And in our case, being Shipgeeks, we loved channeling the old Matson sailings to Hawaii.)  The five ports we experienced were lovely, but I have no further need to take any more trips there.

• Like 2

Additionally, I just recalled that while our ship was in one of the ports into the evening, a local dance and music group were brought onboard, where they did a big show in the theater, and a later one on the open upper deck.  They were wonderful, and from all reports, far superior to the performances/events/luaus that passengers attended onshore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Additionally, I just recalled that while our ship was in one of the ports into the evening, a local dance and music group were brought onboard, where they did a big show in the theater, and a later one on the open upper deck.  They were wonderful, and from all reports, far superior to the performances/events/luaus that passengers attended onshore.

The two best luaus we’ve ever been to (on Kauai) were a fundraiser by a local high school and a family one done by the owners of the Tahiti Nui bar in Hanalei (yes the same “dive bar” Clooney frequents in the movie “The Descendants”).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I just recalled that while our ship was in one of the ports into the evening, a local dance and music group were brought onboard, where they did a big show in the theater,

usually, these local groups that are hired to perform the ships are excellent.  One of the best that I have experienced was a local church group from one of the Polynesian islands when we had a late sailing one evening.  

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

luaus

The laua that we attended was on Maui and it was fun, but, touristy,  Don't think I would make any effort to attend one like that again.  

• Like 1

Aot of many good exchanges of  ideas, and experiences. With that being said, here is another's point of view.  I enjoy cruises-both for the ship experiences, and for the ports of call experiences. I've been to many  places, which I may have never been able to visit, if it weren't for the cruises..  It's like a buffet-sampling new places/ports of call. If a place sparks an interest, then ,  consider  going back on a land vacation.  I hope the O.P. let's us know of their decision.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, urbanhawk said:

Aot of many good exchanges of  ideas, and experiences. With that being said, here is another's point of view.  I enjoy cruises-both for the ship experiences, and for the ports of call experiences. I've been to many  places, which I may have never been able to visit, if it weren't for the cruises..  It's like a buffet-sampling new places/ports of call. If a place sparks an interest, then ,  consider  going back on a land vacation.  I hope the O.P. let's us know of their decision.

This is what we do sometimes.  We've especially done it in the Caribbean.  We tend to take private excursions, from something carefully planned in advance to just a taxi at the port ("please drive us around the island and can you include places like...").

We've sometimes asked either to have a couple of specific hotels included for a quick look, or just "could you include a couple of nicer hotels".

In two cases, that helped us to find islands we liked, and hotels that we especially liked on those islands.  And we had great excursions each day as well.

We've also stopped at some ports that we realized were probably not going to be at the top of our "revisit" list.

We may do the same for Hawaii, and use the cruise as a sampler, or 1 week cruise, 1 week land, once we are there...

GC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would vote for the HAL cruise you've booked.

HAL will have Hawaiian Ambassadors on Board to give cultural talks, entertainment etc.

HAL will have PORT talks - giving you history of each island you will visit and the sites you should see.

HAL will take you to more islands to visit than just a 5 day stay in Hawaii

When in Honolulu - HAL normally brings on a Dance Troup to entertain in their theater.

I would research the islands on your HAL itinerary.

Decide what you want to see.

It is easy to rent a car on the islands - esp if you pre-book them.

Then you're free to drive & see more than taking an excursion that may not have all the sites you want to see.

Be sure to join a Cruise Critic Roll Call for the specific Cruise you'll be on.

The site will give you alot of ideas & you can ask your questions.

Many people on your Roll Call will have made many Hawaiin cruises before & will be happy to make suggestions.

I like cruising - as I unpack once.

Don't have to worry about finding a restaurant to eat at.

So nice to come back to the ship & be pampered after a long day of sightseeing.

• Like 2

I'm confused as to what your limiting factor is. Is $3,000 your budget? It sounds like you have 18 days available for this vacation. Why not include a land trip staying longer than 5 days? 

We did a mesh between the two. We flew to Hawaii, stayed for 5 days on our own, then boarded a Celebrity cruises which spent 6 additional days on the island. Then it cruised back for 5 days and we debarked in Vancouver.