Availability of OTC medications on board

Jchivers

My last 2 cruises have been on Viking (ocean), post-covid (2021 and 2022).  All my previous cruising activity was pre-covid on other cruise lines.  I bring this up because I'm not sure if this is a Viking thing, or a Covid thing....

Viking's onboard sundry shop doesn't carry any over-the-counter medications: no pain relievers, no cold remedies, no tummy soothers, no seasick medication.  Nothing.  I know that the ship's medical center will sell you a bottle of cough syrup.

I suspect that the reason for this is virus-related: they want the ship's medical personnel to see anyone who has a headache, runny nose, or upset stomach.  But this means that if you have a simple case of heartburn, you either wait until the medical center opens (2 hours/day), or you get into port, or you had the foresight to bring your own Rolaids from home.

(When I posted this situation on a Viking-related Facebook group the near unanimous response was: I'm unreasonable to think the ship would carry this stuff and I should have thought to bring my own from home.)

What are other cruise lines doing?  Is this now an industry-wide thing?

The conundrum is that a cruise can't say so on their web site.  They can't say "we don't stock any medications so bring your own" because they don't *want* you to bring your own -- that would defeat the purpose of the policy.

6 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

My last 2 cruises have been on Viking (ocean), post-covid (2021 and 2022).  All my previous cruising activity was pre-covid on other cruise lines.  I bring this up because I'm not sure if this is a Viking thing, or a Covid thing....

Viking's onboard sundry shop doesn't carry any over-the-counter medications: no pain relievers, no cold remedies, no tummy soothers, no seasick medication.  Nothing.  I know that the ship's medical center will sell you a bottle of cough syrup.

I suspect that the reason for this is virus-related: they want the ship's medical personnel to see anyone who has a headache, runny nose, or upset stomach.  But this means that if you have a simple case of heartburn, you either wait until the medical center opens (2 hours/day), or you get into port, or you had the foresight to bring your own Rolaids from home.

(When I posted this situation on a Viking-related Facebook group the near unanimous response was: I'm unreasonable to think the ship would carry this stuff and I should have thought to bring my own from home.)

What are other cruise lines doing?  Is this now an industry-wide thing?

On Cunard ships, they were watching purchases in the shops and even notified the medical center.

Even heard if noted on your dresser medications, supposely medical center was noted.

2 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On Cunard ships, they were watching purchases in the shops and even notified the medical center.

Even heard if noted on your dresser medications, supposely medical center was noted.

That's correct.  I asked our attendant about that. He said they were to report things like excessive tissue use, a person staying in their cabin too much, etc. We asked when we saw security at someone's door and a sickly woman answered.  Interesting what you observe just walking by!

No first hand experience (post-covid) but everything I've read on many different lines since the re-start says - bring it with you as you'll only get it at the medical center these days.  Personally always brought things with me (pre-covid) as it's unknown what you might get onboard or in a random port not to mention the cost.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure why you won't bring your own?

We *always* travel with our own OTC meds (plus the various Rx meds).  In foreign countries, it might be difficult to know which item is the right match for something, etc.  And on ships, even when they had these things (we haven't sailed yet post-COVID), they were silly expensive.  A small quantity of the types of OTC meds we might need doesn't take up much space at all, and if we don't use them, we'll use them later at some point at home.  And we *know* we'll have just what we want, and when we want it, just in case...

We do double check the drug laws of all countries we'll be visiting, to avoid any unfortunate events, whether we sail or fly.  It's not always obvious.  Japan absolutely prohibits original formulation of Sudafed or the generic, for example.

GC

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not sure why you won't bring your own?

If I had known in advance: certainly, I'd have cleaned out my medicine cabinet.  But i didn't know.  I assumed that a luxury cruise ship's sundry shop was at least as well stocked as a Holiday Inn.  My mistake. 😉

Edited by Jchivers

1 hour ago, Jchivers said:

My mistake. 😉

No winky face necessary. It WAS your mistake .I find it hard to believe that anyone with previous international travel wouldn't know the wisdom of bringing at least a small supply of both first aid items as well as common otc meds.You made an assumption and were proven wrong. You know what happens when you assume.

Whoa, that was a bit harsh, dontcha think? 

My travel kit is packed with first aid items and a few miscellaneous personal care stuff.  This has always been sufficient in my pre-covid international travel because I could always pick up anything else I need in the sundry shop.  

But the rules changed with covid, and i didn't get the memo.  Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. [raises fist] As God is my witness, I'll never be without Rolaids again.

Edited by Jchivers
  • Haha 2

I know people that did hide their medications in socks and shoes so they were not noticable.

Our Stewardess was very nice Camilla accommodated us with our needs with no questions.

We also dumped our garbage from self testing in the main hallways trash cans so not to show our personal business of self monitoring.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

My travel kit is packed with first aid items and a few miscellaneous personal care stuff.  This has always been sufficient in my pre-covid international travel because I could always pick up anything else I need in the sundry shop.  

But the rules changed with covid, and i didn't get the memo.  Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.  it'll never happen again as God is my witness.  There.

Just as a reminder (to others, also), even *if* there are sundries ordinarily available somewhere on the ship, that doesn't guarantee that just what you want or need will be in stock when *you* need it.  It's not necessarily like they can get another <whatever> from another branch for you, or like you could go across the street to the competition to get the item.

OTOH, we have travel insurance, so IF we needed to get something like aspirin or decongestant from the ship medical center, we'd be reimbursed for the visit and any supplies.  However, even *that* has now become an incredibly more complex situation with COVID and any restrictions that might occur if one simply wanted some routine med that one ran out of, lest it trigger some disproportionate response from the powers that be on the ship... 😠

A lot of things have changed, alas.

We can understand the need for caution, etc., and we are among the more vulnerable due to age and pre-existing medical conditions.  But still... decisions can get made by mistake, or for "incorrect" reasons, and on a ship, "their" decision must stand.

GC

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

That's correct.  I asked our attendant about that. He said they were to report things like excessive tissue use, a person staying in their cabin too much, etc. We asked when we saw security at someone's door and a sickly woman answered.  Interesting what you observe just walking by!

LOL, my dh has dementia, he uses a lot of tissue, he also spends lots of time in the cabin... nothing new here.  Now that the cabin stewards needs him out of the cabin to service it, he leaves for a bit. 

10 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I know people that did hide their medications in socks and shoes so they were not noticable.

Our Stewardess was very nice Camilla accommodated us with our needs with no questions.

We also dumped our garbage from self testing in the main hallways trash cans so not to show our personal business of self monitoring.

Thanks for mentioning this.

I'm not sure if we would have thought to dispose of any testing in such a "discreet" way.

But what is this about hiding things in your socks and shoes!?  Are you suggesting that this is like summer camp and the counselors/crew are looking for forbidden candy or other "contraband" - such as... unused test kits - in socks or shoes!?!  (I guess I have smaller feet! 😉 ) But seriously are you suggesting they were *searching* through one's things?  That is so different from "noticing something in plain sight"! 😱

GC

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks for mentioning this.

I'm not sure if we would have thought to dispose of any testing in such a "discreet" way.

But what is this about hiding things in your socks and shoes!?  Are you suggesting that this is like summer camp and the counselors/crew are looking for forbidden candy or other "contraband" - such as... unused test kits - in socks or shoes!?!  (I guess I have smaller feet! 😉 ) But seriously are you suggesting they were *searching* through one's things?  That is so different from "noticing something in plain sight"! 😱

GC

In those areas was in the room and not on your person. I got this from other postings here from others that sailed and did. I personally don't like certain things in plain sight.

In the past it was posted that Crew did notice in sight items ex. amount of the tissues I didn't even think of that. We at home use a lot so on board we used a lot. 

13 hours ago, Jchivers said:

But the rules changed with covid, and i didn't get the memo.  Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. [raises fist] As God is my witness, I'll never be without Rolaids again.

Harsh?  Yep, especially considering your question wasn't if you should bring these things but rather if these things were being pulled across all lines due to covid.  

When I read your initial post I thought, naw they would't do that.  But, unless it is a forum myth being perpetuated,  it seems to have been confirmed that pulling routine OTC's was covid related.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

If the test was negative, why be concerned?  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

If the test was negative, why be concerned?  

I don't think it's proper that test equipment be visible on a vessel where people are out to enjoy themselves.

Like not disposing syringes for medical reason to be improperly disposed of.

Consideration to your fellow passengers. Also items can not be disposed down the toilets without clogging the system.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I don't think it's proper that test equipment be visible on a vessel where people are out to enjoy themselves.

Like not disposing syringes for medical reason to be improperly disposed of.

Consideration to your fellow passengers. Also items can not be disposed down the toilets without clogging the system.

Person I quoted indicated dumping home test kits in the public hallway bins as opposed to their cabins' trash bin.  Reason was pretty clear to avoid it being seen by cabin steward. My question related to that.  Unless I grossly misunderstood, it has nothing to do with leaving home test kits or sharps laying about public areas and certainly nothing to do with lack of consideration for fellow passengers.      

• Like 1

I recall seeing some OTC meds on our last two Carnival cruises in the shops onboard (November and February) so I'm not sure it's industry wide. As mentioned, the prices are seriously marked up. We always pack the basics on our trips, both to be prepared and to prevent from being shorn like a sheep.

• Haha 1

We cruise often enough that bringing a variety of OTC meds in our personal hygiene kits makes sense. Simple items, for colds, stomach issues, decongestants, allergies, cuts, etc.

What once in a while happens is that we won't need a particular OTC for some time, then when we do, we find our supply has exceeded its "use by" date.  OOPS!!

Now I check them once a year in January and refresh as needed.