Panama cruise problems

Potstech

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

As is apparent they truly are. But then why did the app accept the passport card scan instead of rejecting it. Most that you say that is clearly posted IS NOT to people with poor eye sight or first time cruisers.  My friends were not the only ones with passport problems because there were several other having similar problems.

The website might be clear in very small lettering and many people here at the terminal gave varying renditions on what was required. Clear, probably, in print that can be read by all, not hardly.

It sounds like the TA is incompetent if they don’t know that the travel summary and other paperwork would outline passport requirements. That said, if the passengers weren’t able to read their travel summary for whatever reason - eyesight, language issues, illiteracy etc. , they should have asked someone to do it for them and perhaps relied on their TA to do it. There is no way Princess was unclear about this in the travel documents 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Many posters on her have said to use a BC as a backup for paperwork.  Are they all wrong or are you the only one right one?

YES... "they" are all wrong. The poster you are responding to IS right... but he is far from being the "only one" who is right.

Several people here have posted (and documented) that a passport was/is required for THAT cruise.

Other posters here have also said the "advising T/A" is wrong. Which is right. 

Edited by teecee60

59 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Why would you go through the trouble of just getting a passport card? It is basically the same process for both. The website clearly spells out the difference between passport and passport card use.;

796349525_ScreenShot2022-11-28at1_13_59PM.thumb.jpeg.799e95658742d51fb84360583b090421.jpeg

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

People being cheap. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, this is probably the one case where travel insurance won't help. Since they didn't have the proper documentation, they are probably out of luck.

Yep. If you are denied boarding due to your own passport negligence, I predict no insurance payout - Unless they had cancel for any reason. And I don't mean to be harsh to the cruisers, but some things are sooooo basic.....

• Like 5

FWIW if anyone reading this hasn't gotten the actual passport book yet it can be produced on a same day basis. So get it. How do I know? Grandson needed a passport for his European tour. Called the local office and they gave him a 10am appointment in SF as they were put of apps. Must be on the day of the flight. Not before. SF had him return at 1pm. Had passport book in hand by 1:15. (Processing time 10am -> 1:15pm) On uber for SFO within minutes. Only cost an extra $60. 

Also he cruised with me numerous times w/o one and with just an embossed bc BUT only to Mexico, Alaska (Canada), and Caribbean. Never to Panama or South America 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

Colombia and Panama aren’t WHTI countries.   I hope you have an email from the travel agent saying the card would suffice.  

I’m not one of these people who think you shouldn’t get on a cruise ship without a passport book, but at 85 and for two weeks, the odds of having to fly internationally aren’t close enough to zero for even my taste.  

Panama has been extra-spicy about inspecting passport books since the restart. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Why would you go through the trouble of just getting a passport card? It is basically the same process for both. The website clearly spells out the difference between passport and passport card use.;

796349525_ScreenShot2022-11-28at1_13_59PM.thumb.jpeg.799e95658742d51fb84360583b090421.jpeg

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

$100.  That’s why.  

• Like 3

If the TA actually put in writing to the client that a passport card would be sufficient, then the people who were turned away should ask the TA to reimburse them for the costs they incurred.  The TA can either do so out of pocket, or using their E&O insurance.  

This was a VERY basic mistake to make. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Potstech said:

Friends were just denied boarding on the Caribbean Princes for a 10 day FLL-FLL Panama cruise. They had both Passport Cards and birth certificates.  The ship says it is an "Open loop cruise" and requires a passport book. This was a once in a lifetime cruise for them.  This despite passport office and TA telling them it should not be a problem before leaving for the cruise.  The app even let them scan there card and gave them a green light.

No amount of discussion seemed to matter. They are now back at the airport trying to find a flight back to Virginia,

I’m so sorry for your friends, it is a very costly mistake.

Princess is very clear on the requirements.  Princess must make sure passengers have the correct documents or face hefty fines.

The TA should have known better.  The TA may be held responsible if anything was documented.  Or, if they have CFAR 

insurance, they should be able to file a claim.

Whatever, the case, I wish them luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VibeGuy said:

Another fun wrinkle - closed loop cruises that call in Martinique and/or Guadeloupe are not WHTI-compliant.   That one catches even some relatively savvy people unaware.  

A painful and expensive learning experience.  

I was thinking the same thing. When I book clients on itineraries to those locations I make sure, in writing, that they are aware of the passport requirement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry for your friends.  Elderly people inexperienced with international travel, relying on their travel agent -- seems very reasonable to me!

I bring my passport on every cruise, even though most of my cruises have been US based closed loop trips.  It doesn't cost any extra for me to throw our passports in my carry-on bag with tickets and other documentation.

• Like 6

I feel so bad for your friends - as you said a once in a lifetime trip and to have it end like that is just a shame.  I hope they aren't too discouraged and go ahead and get passports and make the cruise sometime soon!

Who gave them the incorrect information when applying for their passports?

The US State Department's website is explicit.  Compare the entry information for Panama and the Bahamas (an example of a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative country):

Panama (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Panama.html )

A passport valid for at least three months past the date of entry.

Bahamas (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Bahamas.html )

Those traveling to The Bahamas on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document.

Edited by capriccio

Took me 5 minutes to find this on the internet when I typed "Is a Passport Card accepted for Panama".

"How to Enter Panama

Do I need a passport or visa to enter?

U.S. citizens traveling by air, road, or sea must present a valid passport when entering or departing Panama. U.S. citizens departing or re-entering the United States must likewise present a valid passport. Complete information on how to obtain a U.S. passport is available on the Passport Information page at travel.state.gov or by calling 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778).

Panamanian law requires that U.S. citizen travelers present a passport that has a remaining validity of at least three months or a passport with a Panamanian visa, and the visa has a remaining validity of at least six months."

DON

• Like 1