Elevator issue upon disembarkation

Hobbes67

Sorry if this is long!  We were on deck 17 and kept waiting for an elevator, it would go up to 16 and then back down.  My husband finally used the stairs, but since I had the suitcase I waited along with 3 other people.  Finally the elevator came, we got in, and then of course stopped at each floor to pick up people.  Once full we had to turn others away.  We then got to a floor where one person had a walker and one a scooter.  We said there was no room, but she demanded that people get out of the elevator for her.  Claimed she had called 911 (not for medical emergency) to get an elevator.  You know what they told her.  When the elevator doors started to close she threw her body into the door frame and smiled.  Said if we didn't get out no one was going anywhere and she wouldn't move.  I have never experienced a crazy person like this on board.  There were a few people a little younger so they get out to make room.  (They didn't have luggage.)  Then she dropped her bag and some of her items fell out so we had to wait for her to pick them up.  I got off at 7 and she was still going down to 5.  When I got out she told me she hopes I get dementia.  What a way to ruin a cruise.  I hope I never become that bitter in my life!  Stay away from those crazy people...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We were on an elevator when a woman on a motorized scooter backed in and parked on my friends' foot. He started yelling at her to pull forward and she just ignored him until he actually pushed her away. She wasn't very polite and gave us a look like what's your problem and didn't apologize.

• Like 1

This isn't as much an elevator problem as it is a 'crazy person' problem.

I ran into that once, in the Piazza, during the evenings special event.

World is full of sad, sick, self-centered people!  Unfortunately , sometimes even on a Princess Cruise.

PS:  One reason I have learned I want to book a mid-ship lower deck, location. 

Ended up top deck, forward, once.   the trek to and from our room during busy times...  : o

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

This isn't as much an elevator problem as it is a 'crazy person' problem.

I ran into that once, in the Piazza, during the evenings special event.

World is full of sad, sick, self-centered people!  Unfortunately , sometimes even on a Princess Cruise.

PS:  One reason I have learned I want to book a mid-ship lower deck, location. 

Ended up top deck, forward, once.   the trek to and from our room during busy times...  : o

I always book Lido deck forward.. one pro tip I've learned over the years..  during peak elevator use, go up to go down. 

As far as the crazy lady on the scooter goes, I've always given priority in the elevator to people with mobility devices.  If the doors open and they're waiting, I'll exit to let them on.  But this lady would certainly make me rethink this courtesy. 

• Like 5

I have always given priority to scooters as well, however, this lady (I use that term loosely) had a walker.  The she jumped in and put her body in the elevator I don't see her needing a walker.  I didn't know that the doors would automatically close at one point, this is good to know.  I will no longer book on 17 forward either.  We had a suite which is why we were there.  17 forward is really not a good location for other activities.

• Like 1

The OP doesn't say which ship they were on but we were on the Sky 11/26 cruise.  The amount of people on scooters and with walkers was crazy.  There honestly was a parking lot at the entrance of the dining room with them.  So many I think it would have been an absolute disaster if there was any kind of emergency.  Anywhere you were there was one within a couple of feet.  We had several elevator incidents while on the ship.  They have the same rights, not enhanced rights.  Unbelievable what happened to the OP

• Like 2

Not excusing her behavior but I can’t imagine what it’s like to have mobility issues and trying to get into an elevator. I have seen people in scooters waiting for elevators and people just rushing past them until it’s full and they have to hope they’ll get in on the next one.

She must have just been at her wits end.

• Like 4

Happily, Mrs. XBGuy and I are healthy.  More often than not we will take the stairs.  One notable exception is if she is wearing a long skirt when we go to dinner.  I have observed that waiting for an elevator on disembarkation day looks futile.

The cruise lines pay people to schlep our luggage around.  I think that is a great program.  So, we pack up our large bags the day before and put them outside our cabin in the evening for the elves to take away,.

I have a wine tote that I use to bring bottles of my own wine on board.  At the end of the cruise there is no more wine left.  So, that tote is useful for packing away toiletries and things that were not put out the previous evening.  It is small enough that I can easily carry it up or down stairs.

• Like 3

The cruise lines pay people to schlep our luggage around.  I think that is a great program.  So, we pack up our large bags the day before and put them outside our cabin in the evening for the elves to take away,"

That IS the good program when you Can use it.

HOwever if you have an earlier flight, etc.  Early walk off is a Must for many of us.

We do Not have time to leisurely disembark and take our time finding our luggage in holding.

If a persons luggage ISN"T outside their cabin the night before?

Its probably for a Good Reason.

I have not sailed on such a geriatric cruise as the one just described.   But, this does not sound 'fun'

I will have to always remember that tip to press UP to go down during those times!

I am all for equal rights, and not greater rights. 

Common courtesy would mean letting somebody who is already waiting to board get on before pushing right by.

Common courtesy also means that if I have waited patiently and am on an elevator, then I am going to take the elevator up or down as I need to.

I would never have thought to exit an elevator mid-way because somebody else might want on.

Why is equal rights no longer enough.

Why does everyone now fully expect special treatment.

It seems to always be "MY rights matter".

We actually try to avoid having to use the elevator to go any distance during peak times.

I would rather avoid the jostle and cramming, and the rush and fight to get on, such that the people who are exiting cannot even exit to make room.

This is why I would not make a bid for an upgrade.

Princess could put you anywhere on that ship.  No sections or sub-categories are considered.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

HOwever if you have an earlier flight, etc.  Early walk off is a Must for many of us.

We do Not have time to leisurely disembark and take our time finding our luggage in holding.

Yes, I agree that is a problem.  If you are able to manage your luggage, then self-walk-off works for you, and you can continue making those early flight reservations.

2 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

The cruise lines pay people to schlep our luggage around.  I think that is a great program.  So, we pack up our large bags the day before and put them outside our cabin in the evening for the elves to take away,"

IF you choose to book flights that are too early, then that is your decision.  Princess advises that no one book a flight before 11 and I have never missed a flight. 

It is unfortunate that you dont have time to 'leisurely' (some would say 'orderly') disembarkation.  I hope that someday you can enjoy your vacation all the way through until you can get home without being so rushed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Is the early flight a must?  Are there no other flights that leave at a better time so you don't have to rush off the ship?  It would make the last day of your cruise much less stressful if you took a later flight.  Just a suggestion.

DON

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for you post.  We will be cruising on deck 12 in two weeks, "note to self", on last day, leave cabin early, take elevator to where we need to get off the ship.  I usually do this because we are old and have carryons, my dh has dementia and does not always behave well in public.   Next cruise I will be cruising with my DH plus my sister who has a walker, we are all on deck 12 because we got rebooked by Princess from the Ruby to the Royal.   Usually, we are deck 9 in mini suite.  

By the way I have had my own encounter with a very rude old man at Customer Service who cut in front of me at the elite station.  He was so rude to me and the Customer Service person, when I pointed out he was not next in line, that I told the CS person, take care of him.  I wanted him out of my sight.   This was also on the last day of the cruise, I guess the crazies come out on that day.  

Good luck cruising

2 hours ago, sirclean said:

IF you choose to book flights that are too early, then that is your decision.  Princess advises that no one book a flight before 11 and I have never missed a flight. 

It is unfortunate that you dont have time to 'leisurely' (some would say 'orderly') disembarkation.  I hope that someday you can enjoy your vacation all the way through until you can get home without being so rushed. 

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Is the early flight a must?  Are there no other flights that leave at a better time so you don't have to rush off the ship?  It would make the last day of your cruise much less stressful if you took a later flight.  Just a suggestion.

DON

Someone has to take the early flight so there are seats available for those who prefer to dawdle and take their time disembarking and have a more relaxed time getting to the airport.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Hobbes67 said:

I have always given priority to scooters as well, however, this lady (I use that term loosely) had a walker.  The she jumped in and put her body in the elevator I don't see her needing a walker.  I didn't know that the doors would automatically close at one point, this is good to know.  I will no longer book on 17 forward either.  We had a suite which is why we were there.  17 forward is really not a good location for other activities.

Sometimes people need a walker for long distances and they are ok for short distances.

On 12/11/2022 at 9:03 AM, Hobbes67 said:

Sorry if this is long!  We were on deck 17 and kept waiting for an elevator, it would go up to 16 and then back down.  My husband finally used the stairs, but since I had the suitcase I waited along with 3 other people.  Finally the elevator came, we got in, and then of course stopped at each floor to pick up people.  Once full we had to turn others away.  We then got to a floor where one person had a walker and one a scooter.  We said there was no room, but she demanded that people get out of the elevator for her.  Claimed she had called 911 (not for medical emergency) to get an elevator.  You know what they told her.  When the elevator doors started to close she threw her body into the door frame and smiled.  Said if we didn't get out no one was going anywhere and she wouldn't move.  I have never experienced a crazy person like this on board.  There were a few people a little younger so they get out to make room.  (They didn't have luggage.)  Then she dropped her bag and some of her items fell out so we had to wait for her to pick them up.  I got off at 7 and she was still going down to 5.  When I got out she told me she hopes I get dementia.  What a way to ruin a cruise.  I hope I never become that bitter in my life!  Stay away from those crazy people...

Where's a cell phone when you need it. That would have gone viral in an instant! Crazy!

30 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Sometimes people need a walker for long distances and they are ok for short distances.

Some folks use a walker because they can't stand for long periods and walker provides a seat, regardless, no reason to be demanding.  

33 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Some folks use a walker because they can't stand for long periods and walker provides a seat, regardless, no reason to be demanding.  

I never said that was a reason to be demanding.  I said that because the poster mentioned that he didn’t think they needed a walker. You don’t know who needs a walker just by looking at them.  Some people are just jerks.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

We pack one large bag, for the both of us, then each a small carry-on. Which will piggyback.

So, not talking trying to take the elevator with several sizable pieces of luggage.   No more space needed than somebody with a full walker or wheelchair.

Also, by making an earlier flight, it always means that we won't be having to wait until mid-afternoon, and then getting home at mid-night.  (not to mention possible weather and difficulty driving at night, as the flight is only the first part of our travels home.)

As long as we feel we can plan to make the early flight, then one large suitcase, or an elevator, will not deter us from doing that.

Anybody who wants to question our flight choices will be met with polite silence, which will be followed with 'and, this is your business, HOW?' if the questions and suggestions persist.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, tonit964 said:

Not excusing her behavior but I can’t imagine what it’s like to have mobility issues and trying to get into an elevator. I have seen people in scooters waiting for elevators and people just rushing past them until it’s full and they have to hope they’ll get in on the next one.

She must have just been at her wits end.

I think those of us who are more mobile really need to look out for those passengers to make sure they find a place on elevators. I’m not saying they should push ahead or be given preferential treatment, but unless someone speaks up, they (especially older couples who are both mobility impaired) are often overlooked in the rush for elevators, particularly after theater shows end. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I think those of us who are more mobile really need to look out for those passengers to make sure they find a place on elevators. I’m not saying they should push ahead or be given preferential treatment, but unless someone speaks up, they (especially older couples who are both mobility impaired) are often overlooked in the rush for elevators, particularly after theater shows end. 

Brings tears to my eyes.