The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday December 21st, 2022

richwmn

Good morning from a cold, 34F, cloudy but trying to clear central Texas.  According to the forecast, we are supposed to reach the low 50s today.  Tomorrow will start in the 40s until the front starts coming through about 10 am, when the temperatures will begin to drop and the wind will get stronger.  The highest wind predicted is 27mph.  Thursday night the low will be 12F and Friday's highs will not get out of the mid 20sF. 

This morning, I had to make another quick trip to the store after seeing this week's specials.  There were some things I needed, and I knew they would go quickly.  An added bonus was my prescriptions that were supposed to be ready tomorrow were ready when the pharmacy opened at 8:30.

Winter Solstice is a day I look forward to since the days will begin getting longer.  Blue Christmas is a good idea along with Humbug Day.  Graham @grapau27, thanks for the definitions of the days.

I agree with the A. A. Milne quote, and during DH's hospital and rehab stay learned I could handle more than I thought.

The meal and the wine sound good, but I'll pass on the Long Island Iced Tea.

We have not been to today's port.

@cat shepard  Safe travels tomorrow, and I hope the Boston traffic and the weather cooperate.

@rafinmd  Roy, that must have been a shock.  I hope you are feeling well and that it was a mix-up or the test picked up some stray, dead virus remains.  Roy, some people get the virus and never have any symptoms.  That could be your case.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry yesterday was not a good day, but just remember to take it easy and to let others pamper you for a while.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I loved the meme, but then anything dachshund gets to me.  

@0106  Tina, thanks for the explanation of the tests.

@1ANGELCAT  That is good news that the kitties don't have feline leukemia.  We lived outside of Philadelphia form 1980 to 1981 and watched all the local stations.  Jim Gardner had a long career there.

@Mtn2Sea  Robert, thank you for your pictures.

@durangoscots  Susan, I'm glad it is warmer there, and you will not get the brunt of the storm.

@dfish  Debbie, the recipes look good.  I make a similar dish with chicken, mushroom soup, and milk that goes in the oven at a low temperature for about three hours.  I'll have to make it after the first of the year, but today will be meatloaf.  I'm glad Sue will be able to leave early tomorrow and miss the worst of the weather on her drive to Midland.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, thank you for your pictures.  That is breaking news, and good news about the bridge being dedicated.  The passing of Franco Harris is sad news indeed.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Oh, I hope @rafinmdRoy that you don't have covid.  Everyone has mentioned how tired it leaves you.  I'm sure having trouble shaking that -- been dozing off at the most random times.

@StLouisCruisers, glad DD is doing well with her foot.  She's so creative and active, it must really be hard for her to be down at this time of year.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, it's wonderful that your DH is much improved and ditching some of his apparatus.  Love that.

@JazzyV, yippee about the bridge!

@dfish, that's great that Sue will get away early!  What a fun family Christmas you guys will have.

@1ANGELCAT, good news that the kitties don't have leukemia.

If anyone is having trouble with overexcited pets this holiday season, this is working here:  Julie Andrews Christmas carols.  Pocket had been really annoying until he heard her sweet and perfect tones.  He relaxes and chills out every time he hears her lovely voice.  ❤️

Many thanks to all our contributors here.    Have a lovely day!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Well dh got the snow blower going, so of course we won’t get much snow! It will be cold however. We are dog sitting our daughter’s labra doodle and I am sure she will have to be coaxed to go outside! 

prayers for all that need them and will raise a glass later to those celebrating.

• Like 18

Thank you Rich, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Cat Shepard, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

@smitty34877 Terry, hope you are feeling better.

@rafinmd Roy, the same thing happened to me recently. Three rapid tests that were negative followed by a PCR test that was positive. Symptoms were no more than a slight head cold.

We took Sam for his twice-a-year Senior exam yesterday. As you may remember I have a passion for adopting senior dogs that no one cares to adopt -  simply because someone needs to. Sam has probably been in the worse physical condition, although healthy, of the three Alaskan Malamutes I have rescued. When we had Juno, we were lucky to find a vet that is just fantastic with older dogs. She has since started her own mobile practice of traveling to the patient as well as doing surgery at the original animal hospital. Her expertise is not only cats and dogs but horses and llamas as well. Sort of a Virginian "Dr. Pol."

When we have adopted these dogs, Sue and I realize that we will have a finite time with them due to their age. Oke' s loss came as a surprise when a tumor he had ruptured and was gone in two hours at 12 years of age. With Juno our vet was able to predict a year +  how long we still had. Her prediction was correct so over that period of time we started to prepare ourselves. She was just over 13 years.With Sam it is more difficult as he is healthy except for his rear legs. He has just turned 10 last month and I am sure (?) we have more than one year left with him.  He is the most vocal with is Mal "talk" and just so affectionate

This trip to the vet was probably  his last car ride as it was so painful for him to get in the car, even using a ramp. From here on it will be home visits with his vet. Her only comment as to his longevity was depending on this winter's weather. Last winter after our two significant snowfalls, he had trouble moving in the yard as he drags his rear legs as opposed to lifting them. My plans are to attempt to make paths for him (snowblower?) to make it easier for him to walk.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

What is the name of the hotel across from the port in San Diego?

We stayed at Springhill Suites which is across the street from the port. We stayed there on 2 occasions. Great experience. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to all who posted such caring thoughts yesterday.  Guess my "funk" has been heightened with our cold weather!  It is a bright blue sky with below freezing temps, which will continue all day.

I just figured out how I am going to get in a better frame of mind.  The Nutcracker is going to be performed today through Friday at a theater in Grand Junction.  Since I know no one else will go with me, I am giving myself a treat and going by myself!!!  This was an annual ritual that we did when DH was alive and well!  

Will get my ticket for above this afternoon after I get out of the dermatologist office.  Want to see what he does to my body, if anything!  This is the "annual" so hope all is okay by him!

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 28

Good morning, 

It's a bright sunny COLD morning here in Sedro-Woolley. Think 8F on the thermometer. Our road was plowed yesterday but still hasn't been sanded and we got about another 1/2 inch of snow last night. I need to finish off shoveling out the driveway (75 feet) and then work on the ramp which is almost done. 

Talked to DH's rehab facility this morning and I've been assured a phone call after 10:30 (they are in meetings which I understand). I asked what the secret was to getting a call returned and, when asked, mentioned that I had called daily since Sunday. I was met with momentary silence and then told today. I want to find out if DH will be coming home, etc. The person in charge of arranging his discharge hasn't made it in the last few days (understandable) but I'd still like to talk to someone! 

Thanks for letting me rant. Now back to our regular scheduled programming! 

Karen

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Her expertise is not only cats and dogs but horses and llamas as well. Sort of a Virginian "Dr. Pol."

After a brief excursion along a highway, a rogue 20-year-old llama has been returned home in Northern Virginia.

Kolby, a black female llama, was spotted galloping down Fairfax County Parkway, near Popes Head Road, on Sunday night. She was subsequently caught by the county’s Animal Protection Police.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/12/21/llama-fairfax-county-parkway/

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

I'm a little late this morning, DH was sick this morning.  We're pretty sure it's from the chemo treatment yesterday and not the flu.  He called the clinic, as they told him to report anything like this.  Sounds like it's kind of expected, but he was told to let them know if it gets worse.  No fever, just nauseated.  

Roy @rafinmdoh my on the "detected".  That must be a worry for you.  Like everyone else, I'm hoping it's some kind of fluke.

We're supposed to have the grandsons here tomorrow night for our delayed overnight -- of course now we're waiting to see how DH is feeling.  I may end up decorating that tree by myself lol.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon!

FedEx picked up the boxes this morning and at noon Previous Owner called and wanted to know what I had done with them.  Apparently, it is medicine for her cat and she is frantic.  Not frantic enough to make sure she gave Chewy the right address.   Anyways, she says she has some things for us that they took by mistake - remotes for things and such.  So, if she ever unpacks she'll drop them off.  

@luvteaching Rant away!   We've all been there at times.  You have a right to be upset with them.  

@cruzn single Good for you!  Enjoy the Nutcracker and safe travels.  

• Like 20

For the past couple of days I had no access to my computer. Turns out it was just a dead mouse. Tekkie came out last evening and fixed everything for me. Now I will go play catch up on the days I missed. Like many of you I am basically feeling good but very tired especially mid afternoon. Even the very mild Covid seems to hang on forever.

Jane

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Cat Shepard, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

@smitty34877 Terry, hope you are feeling better.

@rafinmd Roy, the same thing happened to me recently. Three rapid tests that were negative followed by a PCR test that was positive. Symptoms were no more than a slight head cold.

We took Sam for his twice-a-year Senior exam yesterday. As you may remember I have a passion for adopting senior dogs that no one cares to adopt -  simply because someone needs to. Sam has probably been in the worse physical condition, although healthy, of the three Alaskan Malamutes I have rescued. When we had Juno, we were lucky to find a vet that is just fantastic with older dogs. She has since started her own mobile practice of traveling to the patient as well as doing surgery at the original animal hospital. Her expertise is not only cats and dogs but horses and llamas as well. Sort of a Virginian "Dr. Pol."

When we have adopted these dogs, Sue and I realize that we will have a finite time with them due to their age. Oke' s loss came as a surprise when a tumor he had ruptured and was gone in two hours at 12 years of age. With Juno our vet was able to predict a year +  how long we still had. Her prediction was correct so over that period of time we started to prepare ourselves. She was just over 13 years.With Sam it is more difficult as he is healthy except for his rear legs. He has just turned 10 last month and I am sure (?) we have more than one year left with him.  He is the most vocal with is Mal "talk" and just so affectionate

This trip to the vet was probably  his last car ride as it was so painful for him to get in the car, even using a ramp. From here on it will be home visits with his vet. Her only comment as to his longevity was depending on this winter's weather. Last winter after our two significant snowfalls, he had trouble moving in the yard as he drags his rear legs as opposed to lifting them. My plans are to attempt to make paths for him (snowblower?) to make it easier for him to walk.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Jack, I'm sorry Sam is having so much trouble with his hind legs.  It's good you found a vet who makes house calls.  That should be so much easier on Sam and on you.

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Many thanks to all who posted such caring thoughts yesterday.  Guess my "funk" has been heightened with our cold weather!  It is a bright blue sky with below freezing temps, which will continue all day.

I just figured out how I am going to get in a better frame of mind.  The Nutcracker is going to be performed today through Friday at a theater in Grand Junction.  Since I know no one else will go with me, I am giving myself a treat and going by myself!!!  This was an annual ritual that we did when DH was alive and well!  

Will get my ticket for above this afternoon after I get out of the dermatologist office.  Want to see what he does to my body, if anything!  This is the "annual" so hope all is okay by him!

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I hope the dermatologist visit went okay.  Enjoy the Nutcracker.

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

It's a bright sunny COLD morning here in Sedro-Woolley. Think 8F on the thermometer. Our road was plowed yesterday but still hasn't been sanded and we got about another 1/2 inch of snow last night. I need to finish off shoveling out the driveway (75 feet) and then work on the ramp which is almost done. 

Talked to DH's rehab facility this morning and I've been assured a phone call after 10:30 (they are in meetings which I understand). I asked what the secret was to getting a call returned and, when asked, mentioned that I had called daily since Sunday. I was met with momentary silence and then told today. I want to find out if DH will be coming home, etc. The person in charge of arranging his discharge hasn't made it in the last few days (understandable) but I'd still like to talk to someone! 

Thanks for letting me rant. Now back to our regular scheduled programming! 

Karen

Karen, I agree -- rant away.  I can understand your frustration.  While the people at the rehab facility who worked with DH were all great, the administration and their communications skills were lacking.  They did not call me when they sent DH to the hospital when he had the embolism.  Their excuse was he was keeping me updated, so they didn't feel the need to call.  At least, the second time they sent him to the ER, they had learned their lesson, and the charge nurse called me.  She had more medical details than DH.  Also, when DH missed his follow-up visit with the surgeon due to the embolism, they only called and canceled the appointment but did not give a reason.  Their excuse was the surgeon's office didn't ask why.  Thank goodness, I called the surgeon to make sure they knew the appointment was canceled and why.  Yesterday, the surgeon commented that he's found the different facilities are not good at communication.  At least, they were great taking care of DH.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm a little late this morning, DH was sick this morning.  We're pretty sure it's from the chemo treatment yesterday and not the flu.  He called the clinic, as they told him to report anything like this.  Sounds like it's kind of expected, but he was told to let them know if it gets worse.  No fever, just nauseated.  

Roy @rafinmdoh my on the "detected".  That must be a worry for you.  Like everyone else, I'm hoping it's some kind of fluke.

We're supposed to have the grandsons here tomorrow night for our delayed overnight -- of course now we're waiting to see how DH is feeling.  I may end up decorating that tree by myself lol.  

Carolyn, I'm sorry your DH is having a bad reaction to yesterday's treatment.  I hope he feels better tomorrow.  Can they give him anti-nausea medicine when he gets the treatment or to take at the first sign of nausea?

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon!

FedEx picked up the boxes this morning and at noon Previous Owner called and wanted to know what I had done with them.  Apparently, it is medicine for her cat and she is frantic.  Not frantic enough to make sure she gave Chewy the right address.   Anyways, she says she has some things for us that they took by mistake - remotes for things and such.  So, if she ever unpacks she'll drop them off.  

@luvteaching Rant away!   We've all been there at times.  You have a right to be upset with them.  

@cruzn single Good for you!  Enjoy the Nutcracker and safe travels.  

Wow, Debbie.  When we move, one of the first things I do is change our address and make sure all packages are sent to the new address.  Hope the cat doesn't suffer too much because of her mistake.

Lenda

12 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

For the past couple of days I had no access to my computer. Turns out it was just a dead mouse. Tekkie came out last evening and fixed everything for me. Now I will go play catch up on the days I missed. Like many of you I am basically feeling good but very tired especially mid afternoon. Even the very mild Covid seems to hang on forever.

Jane

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

The governor of Georgia has declared a state of emergency.  Due to bad weather that is approaching.  It is imperative that the chicken ranchers get the heating oil they need (so we dont have frozen chicken) oh and to the home owners.  But in this case, the chickens came first.  We are to remain off the roads as much as possible, and to not drive on Friday or Saturday morning.  The cold will come in so quickly that the water on the roads from the rain we get tomorrow will FREEZE!  and become black ice.  We may lose power , but remember, if you lose power, so did your neighbor.  We are all in this together. (yes he said that) (some how I doubt if the governor will lose power, either way you look at it)  and when some one asked if they will bring in workers from other power companies, that was a no.  Governor said they probably wouldn't be able to get anyone, so if we do lose power it will be for several days. Be prepared!  The average temperatures in Georgia in December are a low of 29 and a high of 56.  Not sure how we can really prepare for temperatures with a wind chill of minus 15.  

I checked my collection of candles.  Not so good.  Flashlights, eh. Firewood.  No, just enough for a day, so tomorrow in the rain, we will GET to go out and get these items.  At least I don't need white bread or milk, or eggs, things that would be nice if we had snow.

One thing I do when we lose power in the winter, is I put a long lasting candle in the shower, and close the shower door, the heat stays in and helps the pipes.  We open the cabinets under the sinks, so that they can get warmer,  we have the wood burning stove,  which heats half the house, and we close off the rooms we dont use.  Right now we use all of them.

So to my Yankee and Canadian Friends, what else would you suggest for DH and I and the critters.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon!

Thanks for the Daily. Such nice people here!  It’s a great place to visit.🙂

After avoiding Covid all this time, it finally caught up to me 10 days ago via my sweet DGD.   Not fun at all🙁. Just starting  to feel better now.  Hubby is still negative, go figure.

Luckily my son and daughter-in-law are hosting Christmas on the 26th,  she even made all the tourtières!   Hopefully I’ll be negative by then.

I hope the weather cooperates for all the travellers and everyone stays safe.

Jo

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jodi58 said:

Good afternoon!

Thanks for the Daily. Such nice people here!  It’s a great place to visit.🙂

After avoiding Covid all this time, it finally caught up to me 10 days ago via my sweet DGD.   Not fun at all🙁. Just starting  to feel better now.  Hubby is still negative, go figure.

Luckily my son and daughter-in-law are hosting Christmas on the 26th,  she even made all the tourtières!   Hopefully I’ll be negative by then.

I hope the weather cooperates for all the travellers and everyone stays safe.

Jo

Sorry to hear you have been unwell but thankfully you are feeling a bit better Jo.

Prayers 🙏 you are negative for the 26th and your visit to your son and his wife.

Graham.

• Like 9

Good afternoon!  Craig and I went shopping this morning. Even though I’m happy to be home this Christmas I’m in a small funk, I’m sure a lot of it is because I was so sick for most of November and part of December. I also miss being on a BHB like we were last year. Remember yesterday about my crazy cruise dream?  Well wouldn’t you know but my PCC called yesterday about final payment due January 8th. I’ll have to call back to cancel but I’m going to wait until next week. I want to research the Europe cruises for 2024 first. 

5 hours ago, summer slope said:

What is the name of the hotel across from the port in San Diego?

As others have said it’s a Wyndham, but make sure it’s the Bayside Wyndham and if you want a bay view specify that when booking. It’s fun to watch the ship from your balcony and watch the going’s on. We’ve stayed there more times than I can remember. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I'm sorry your DH is having a bad reaction to yesterday's treatment.  I hope he feels better tomorrow.  Can they give him anti-nausea medicine when he gets the treatment or to take at the first sign of nausea?

Excellent question Lenda.  I'll have him ask! 

He's spent all morning in bed, so unlike him.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2