Salty Dog Gastropub?

mvaldes140

I was on Enchanted in July and Emerald right now, and both times they were closed because the ships are understaffed, which is understandable. The princess website says that the Enchanted, Crown, Emerald, and Ruby Princess have the gastropub onboard (on Crown, Emerald & Ruby it’s supposed to be in the wheelhouse bar). Has anyone recently been on one of these ships where it was open. I’ve really wanted to try the food there but haven’t had the chance. I’m going on Ruby in July, so that’s looking like my next chance to try it out. Just wanted to see if any ship has had enough staff for it yet.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, mvaldes140 said:

I was on Enchanted in July and Emerald right now, and both times they were closed because the ships are understaffed, which is understandable. The princess website says that the Enchanted, Crown, Emerald, and Ruby Princess have the gastropub onboard (on Crown, Emerald & Ruby it’s supposed to be in the wheelhouse bar). Has anyone recently been on one of these ships where it was open. I’ve really wanted to try the food there but haven’t had the chance. I’m going on Ruby in July, so that’s looking like my next chance to try it out. Just wanted to see if any ship has had enough staff for it yet.

Thanks!

I was also on the Enchanted in July and was told it was closed for technical reasons. I was on the Crown in November and was told it had been closed since May. I will be on the Discovery in February and have been told it is open. Let's hope so. I was on the Enchanted last Spring and really enjoyed lunch with a Beyond Burger and Guinness.

Edited by billco
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mvaldes140 said:

Thanks!

You are not missing anything special 

Good but not worth the additional charge 

Thats why it’s not being offered 

• Like 1

We were on the Enchanted last February. The Salty Dog was where the Vines was on other Royal class ships, so every time I passed by I would just sneer and mumble something nasty under my breath. No matter though, no one was ever there to hear me anyway. No wonder they closed it. Great use of space there, Princess.

On the older ships that have one, it's in the Wheelhouse, kind of as a pop-up which is at best what it is. They used to sell a burger created by a chef, Ernesto Uchimura - the Umami burger, which was quite good. Not sure that's still the case though. 

We love the one on the Ruby.  I happen to really live the white tomato soup and the chicken burger.
the calamari is just so so … 

I’ve never been able to eat the dessert as it is just too much food.   
Not everyone green with me on how much they like it.  

• Like 1

Just came off the Discovery and ordered the Beyond Meat Burger, lobster macncheese, grilled cheese and fried calamari. You order 2 entrees because they are small and no starters. I ordered coffee and doughnuts for dessert which are the bite sized one in photo. It was quiet and not busy so service was fast. The breadsticks come first which are soft with a cheese dipping sauce. 

20221214_181819.jpg

20221214_184828.jpg

20221214_180455.jpg

• Like 2

On the Discovery in April/May we tried it for the first time and loved it. We were on the Enchanted in November and went. Just as happy with it. Great food!  Lobster Mac and Cheese, Burger, Short Rib Poutine were terrific. Try as we might we could not finish everything. The staff were so attentive and happy to chat. They are only open from 5:30p.m.  Soon will be going on the Sky and plan to eat there again. On the Enchanted while we were there many people were at the bar and also used the tables and chairs to sit with their drinks. 

• Like 1

I was disappointed with both the food and the service.  

Waited 5-7 minutes to be seated, before we were acknowledged.  Not a huge deal, but set the pace for the entire meal.

First round of drinks was served promptly, with the weird cracker breadsticks and semi melted velveeta.  Cold and thin with lumps of processed cheese.  Cracker breadsticks broke every time we tried to dunk them,  which was probably good, because they were stale. 

Waited and waited and waited for food.  Not joking it took 35 minutes to get calamari fries for me and lobster mac for shipmate.  Calamari fries were over-breaded, with the thick breading greasy and falling off after the first bite. Calamari was tender though, just overcooked and cold.  I didn't taste the lobster mac (shellfish), but my friend didn't finish it.  

We thought the server would be back to re-drink us.  Nope, never happened. So we sat.  This time for only 30 mins for the second course.  I got the burger with kimchi, friend ordered the short ribs.  Burger taste was great, but cold.  Short ribs were extra fatty, like chunks of unrendered fat.  The sauce was good though.

Still no drink refills and another 40 mins waiting for dessert.  Chocolate with popcorn for me, espresso mousse with donuts for friend.  Again cold.  We picked at it and left.  

And went to the buffet.  

So for $18 when sabatini's was $25, crown $29.  I won't go back.  

We went on the Discovery after we finally got back on the ship in Cabo. Our Princess excursion got back late and the tender line was very long and slow, so we wanted to eat immediately.  Very few tables were occupied.  The wild mushroom dish was excellent,  the lobster mac and cheese was good, but we weren't crazy about the hamburgers.  I've seen others rave about them on here, so we wanted to try. Dessert was unremarkable.  I would not pay to eat there again,  unless we had a lot of obc to spend. 

We had lunch at the Gastropub on the Enchanted several times earlier this year. Each of the dishes we tried were fantastic and the signature alcoholic beverage, the Salty Dog Smash, was fantastic. I guess it depends what kind of fare folks are into, but for a nice spin on bar-like food we felt it an excellent value and quite tasty. Would not hesitate to grab a bite there again. 

• Like 3

I was on Discovery in October and the Gastropub was open. 

I thought it was the best burger I've ever eaten anywhere.    The meat is made of short rib and prime rib......oh, and the brioche bun...   I salivate every time I think about that burger.

2F8E1D6B-8630-447B-862F-B7B89468BA10.jpeg

979B34EB-8AAB-4704-BCEE-4ED4A3D8187F.jpeg

• Like 8

On 12/21/2022 at 12:21 PM, mvaldes140 said:

Thanks!

We were on the Ruby in November & it was open, doesn’t get many people. Most of the ones we have seen are crew. The food is good we’ve eaten there before.

• Like 1