Guests Denied Boarding Due to Passport Requirements at Port Everglades

ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Looks like the local news is going to push this story tonight. It really sucks to be given misinformation and miss your cruise, but hopefully the word will get out that carrying a passport should be the default travel document option for everyone regardless of itinerary.

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/dozens-of-cruise-line-passengers-stranded-at-port-everglades/

"MIAMI - Loads of cruise passengers have been left stranded at Port Everglades.

Dozens of people called CBS4 reporter Gabby Arzola, saying something needs to be done.

"Passengers are telling me that they put a 10-day cruise with the Princess Cruises. The representatives told them that they didn't need to bring a passport and then they were turned away when they tried to board, saying that they needed a passport."

Passenger Lori Johnson said she is no stranger to cruises. Earlier this month she noticed that her passport would expire during the trip. 

"I called Princess cruise lines, and they said they didn't require a passport for this trip," says Johnson. 

Johnson was denied entry at the port in Fort Lauderdale. 

"I've been on the phone with them for hours, nothing has been done and I've already spent more than $8,500 dollars," says Johnson. "It's been devastating. I want people to be aware of what they are receiving as consumers."

Traveler Michael O'Connor had the same exact issue with his soon-to-be expired passport. 

"I was told over the phone that I could bring my birth certificate," says O'Connor.

O'Connor was traveling with his wife to celebrate their honeymoon and was also denied entry on the ship. 

"What's really disgusting is their customer service," says O'Connor. "We have been transferred 50 times, spent 12 hours on the phone, we've been hung up on, and put on a permanent hold."

Travelers say they have not been able to receive a full refund, and are pushing for answers. 

Princess Cruise Lines released this statement: 

"Passengers need to take responsibility for their mistakes. 

On Princess' website, it clearly states that valid US Passports are required on this itinerary. Normally, passengers on closed-loop sailings which begin and end at the same US port can use an original or certified copy of the birth certificate along with a valid, government-issued ID. However, on sailings to Central and South America including Panama Canal, a valid US Passport is required. 

Princess' Ocean Medallion app provides all of these details during the registration process. I just returned from my 12th cruise of the year, which happened to be on Princess a week ago. All of the documentation requirements are spelled out quite clearly. 

Also, as stated in the Passenger Contract, it is the passenger's sole responsibility to ensure they have proper documentation. Even if a cruise representative provided wrong information, it's still the passenger's responsibility." 

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser
  • Like 7

Why would people call the news when they won’t take responsibility to obtain what they need for travelling. On our recent transpacific the IT officer was inundated with guests who didn’t know they needed an electronic visa for NZ or Australia. And couldn’t get them until we got to Fiji   He said they were blaming Princess for not telling them. It’s says right on the website that you are responsible for your own travel documents 

• Like 25

9 minutes ago, trey420 said:

So this wasn't a closed loop cruise? I wonder who told them different. 

I wonder if it was Panama Canal: Normally, passengers on closed-loop sailings which begin and end at the same US port can use an original or certified copy of the birth certificate along with a valid, government-issued ID. However, on sailings to Central and South America including Panama Canal, a valid US Passport is required. 

While I think they should just make passports mandatory - I do have to say that I have been told so much wrong information from Princess reps, I do think if Princess told someone they didn't need their passport, they should work with them and allow them to transfer their money to another sailing. Princess needs to have proper training for their phone reps. I was appalled earlier this year when working with Princess on a matter on how poor their Customer Service agents knowledge was. Princess does hold some responsibility here if they informed someone wrongly when they called about their cruise.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5

Why would they call Princess when it is clearly stated that a passport was required for this voyage? Granted they called Princess and got bad information (Suprise!), they should have known that Princess had no power to waive the passport requirements. I believe that the id/birth certificate for closed loop cruises be eliminated, then everyone would know that passports are required, even the poorly trained phone reps.

Edited by Doug R.
Bad gramer and spelun.
  • Like 17

Neighbors had the same problem with wrong information after they were denied boarding.  Yes some know of the information but many do not and rely on other forms of info to plan for their cruise.  The passport card is a rip off and should be gotten rid of.  It causes to many problems.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Neighbors had the same problem with wrong information after they were denied boarding.  Yes some know of the information but many do not and rely on other forms of info to plan for their cruise.  The passport card is a rip off and should be gotten rid of.  It causes to many problems.

The passport card is very handy for those who live near the Canadian or Mexican border and make frequent border crossings, it relieves them of having to carry the passport on a daily basis.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, skynight said:

Lesson. Always travel internationally with a passport, no matter what others may say. Always research passport and visa requirements yourself. 

valid passport, never leave the country without it ...

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

It is a shame, however, people also need to take some responsibility and actually read their travel documents from the cruise line. Princess also is in need of better employee training. 

Agreed that a Passport should be the standard. 

• Like 14

It’s hard to believe people STILL do not check requirements for travel.

It is all over their website and you are responsible to check your own documentation.  Did any of these people have a TA or CVP?

But, STILL passengers rely on others for document questions. They don’t read the website, travel summary or search the government websites.  

Travel Summary 1st line:  It clearly states you need a valid passport, with 6 months still on your passport after completion of travel.

Princess definitely needs to train employees.  They should not give out documentation advise unless absolutely sure.  They need to document any information given in the passengers 

in their record.  

Rant over.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, c-boy said:

valid passport, never leave the country without it ...

After May 7, 2025, everyone will need a "REAL ID compliant" drivers license to board a domestic airline flight, carrying a valid passport for all travel by common carrier should be the default position.

Identification | Transportation Security Administration (tsa.gov)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

After May 7, 2025, everyone will need a "REAL ID compliant" drivers license to board a domestic airline flight, carrying a valid passport for all travel by common carrier should be the default position.

Until the delay the Real ID Drivers License yet again.  How many times has it been postponed.

DON

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Valid Passports are also accepted without a "Real ID compliant" driver's license, correct? The link lists several options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nini said:

It is a shame, however, people also need to take some responsibility and actually read their travel documents from the cruise line. .....

Amazed by the number of relatively intelligent people who 'forget' to read the travel summary

• Like 4

Clearly stated in their travel summary.  "We called and they told us"  Sure. 

It's in WRITING on your travel summary. Why are they calling the cruise line?

Too add, booking a cruise for $8,500 and they can't afford or plan to have a valid passport?

Art of responsibility is dying off quickly. Snowballing.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

So many times I read on forums that on a closed loop such as a R/T out of Ft. Lauderdale one can use a government issued B/C. And many times it can be used, BUT, not always......sometimes on those itinerates a passport book is required.  

Just this December we did a R/T out of Ft Lauderdale on a Caribbean itinerary and a passport was required. It was stated very clearly in our documentation. Please read your official documentation; don't just depend on some strangers opinion.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ATL_Miami_Cruiser said:

Loads of cruise passengers have been left stranded at Port Everglades.

The reporter says "dozens of people are contacting her"

I'm curious how many is "load" and "dozens"?

Totally in agreement that those involved should have read their cruise info (IN WRITING) not relied on a phone conversation with a reservations representative.

• Like 5

Of course, I do feel badly for these folks because it's a huge disappointment and financial hardship. But c'mon! If you'e a "loyal patron" of Princess with 7 previous cruises then you should know a passport is required. Even when we do a closed loop we bring our passports for "worse case scenarios" such as one of us getting sick or missing the ship or worse. An expensive and sad lesson learned.

• Like 6