The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 2nd, 2023

rafinmd

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another sunny day here, then snow (!) tomorrow and rain the rest of the week.  

I'm all for stopping spam, it seems to be getting worse all the time.  I'm very, very cautious about giving out my email address or phone number.  Strange, but 99% of the spam emails I get (and I don't get a lot) are all in German!  I speak no German.  With DH's help (he took German in school) I was able to find the "remove me from your mailing list" at the end of one of them. But most of them don't include that.  I'm so curious why all the German spam??  My other rant is about a group on another site.  It's cruising-related.  The moderator apparently doesn't believe in/want to take the trouble to require approval of posts before they're posted.  Instead he wants the group to report spam to him....HA!  By the time he gets them, dozens of poor unsuspecting people have fallen yet again for these scammers. They never learn.   The only other group I'm in requires post approval from the moderators and we get NO spam. It's enough to make me want to leave the group -- that and so much misinformation -- CC is so much better.   Rant over, sorry!

We love chicken pot pie but I'm kind of fussy about it.  I only use home-made pie crust (top and bottom).  The rest I do the easy way, I supplement frozen mixed vegetables with some fresh onion, celery, and anything else on hand, and use gravy previously made supplemented by Heinz gravy.  

Will pass on the drink and wine, and yay another port we'll go to on the Grand Australia (we leave one year from today for San Diego)!!  "Only" one year away LOL.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersHappy Birthday to your DDIL!

Carol @mamaofamiHappy Birthday to your DH Sam!

9 minutes ago, summer slope said:

@Cruising-alongif you c&P the email into a translation program on Google you can find the delete button.  I've done that several times when the email was in a language foreign to me.

We are also getting more spam emails and texts in the last few months.  Plus, there are some robo calls, the main one seems to be in Chinese, and for those we just hang up.

We have stopped trying to unsubscribe to the spam emails, instead we just delete them from the in box and from the trash.  DH says that just opening spam emails and texts much less unsubscribing, lets the sender know they reached a valid email address or phone number.  We do block the junk numbers before deleting the call from the call log on our phones.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Chicken Pot Pie, now I want some, been years.

When I was in my early 20s I was dating a young lady, we would frequent a family style restaurant that offered Chicken Pot Pie, and it was delicious.  My girlfriend would spend forever reading over that menu and always order the Chicken Pit Pie.  One day we went in, I was definitely hangry.  I said to her you are going to order the Chicken Pot Pie anyway so just order.  She insisted that no she was going to order something else.  After half an hour of reading over the menu, she burst into tears, and said she wanted the chicken pot pie.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have stopped trying to unsubscribe to the spam emails, instead we just delete them from the in box and from the trash.  DH says that just opening spam emails and texts much less unsubscribing, lets the sender know they reached a valid email address or phone number.  We do block the junk numbers before deleting the call from the call log on our phones.

I've wondered about that (opening the email and responding in any way).  I do mark them as spam, and now Comcast does seem to put the German emails into my spam folder before I see them. 

Also I block the phone numbers.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Roy @rafinmd, a few days ago you posted a link to finding subscribed threads. I can’t find it now (forgot to save it then), would you be able to post it again?  

Thank you!

Not Roy but using his instructions.works well

for each thread you want to follow, click the follow button at the top, chose send no emails, follow 

then go to activity in the blue header at the top of this thread

click on it, you get the heading, my activity stream 

click on content I follow

Any thread you are following will show up here.

i scroll down the list and go to the first highlighted one of a thread I want to get back to @nd it takes me to the last comment I read and I can continue from there.

i hope this makes sense. Ask away if something doesn’t. I love using it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from Sydney

We stayed at the Rydges Hotel at Sydney airport. Very convenient. The international terminal is across the street, no more taxis! We arrive home very late on Tuesday night. 
     Boarding our plane in a few hours for the long journey home. Can’t believe this trip is over!  As is told one of the ships officers yesterday, it was not perfect but it was wonderful!  
     My DD did very well even with the mask wearing. All of us remained healthy and hope to remain that way over the last part of the journey. 
   Loved Australia and New Zealand. Beautiful countries . 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

• Like 21

A very belated Happy New Year to all the wonderful Dailyites!!!  Yesterday was a very bad day for me, and all I could was read.  My irregular heartbeat was rearing it's ugly head and I couldn't do much, but sit in the recliner.  For me, the condition  is caused by a leaky heart valve, but is not bad enough for a replacement.  I haven't had such an episode in about 8-9 years.  Today I am still worn out, but-----.

It is another dreary cold day.  We have snow, then rain, then freeze, then warming and thaw.  As long as the weather is decent next Monday when I leave for Phoenix and then to Hawaii, I will just endure our unusual (for here) weather.  All summer long I was noting how dry it was in Western Colorado.  We ended up at the year's end with annual moisture about the annual average.  I am sure the states downstream in the Colorado River Basin will be happy!

On New Year's Eve I spent most of the day clearing out my filing cabinet of 2022 paperwork.  I want everything ready when I return from Hawaii the end of January to get my 1099's , etc. ready to send to my CPA.  Need to get my tax stuff asap because I am leaving for my TA on the Rotterdam the end of March and won't return till after tax filing date!

Hope the day is great for everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I wrote a long post but must have said something questionable because it's being held up....I think I know what word it was, and the silly thing is it had nothing to do with this site.  So waiting to see what happens to it.  Guess I'm starting the year off naughty.  🤣

Naughty is a lot more fun.  Keep it up!

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

23 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from Sydney

We stayed at the Rydges Hotel at Sydney airport. Very convenient. The international terminal is across the street, no more taxis! We arrive home very late on Tuesday night. 
     Boarding our plane in a few hours for the long journey home. Can’t believe this trip is over!  As is told one of the ships officers yesterday, it was not perfect but it was wonderful!  
     My DD did very well even with the mask wearing. All of us remained healthy and hope to remain that way over the last part of the journey. 

Charlene 

Charlene, we stayed at the Rydges Hotel at Sydney airport once, too.  Like you said, just across the roadway from the International terminal.  Talk about convenient!  I'm glad you all were healthy and enjoyed Australia and New Zealand.  I've loved our visits in the past and would do it over and over if I could.  Your home sweet home awaits you.

7 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

A very belated Happy New Year to all the wonderful Dailyites!!!  Yesterday was a very bad day for me, and all I could was read.  My irregular heartbeat was rearing it's ugly head and I couldn't do much, but sit in the recliner.  For me, the condition  is caused by a leaky heart valve, but is not bad enough for a replacement.  I haven't had such an episode in about 8-9 years.  Today I am still worn out, but-----.

It is another dreary cold day.  We have snow, then rain, then freeze, then warming and thaw.  As long as the weather is decent next Monday when I leave for Phoenix and then to Hawaii, I will just endure our unusual (for here) weather.  All summer long I was noting how dry it was in Western Colorado.  We ended up at the year's end with annual moisture about the annual average.  I am sure the states downstream in the Colorado River Basin will be happy!

On New Year's Eve I spent most of the day clearing out my filing cabinet of 2022 paperwork.  I want everything ready when I return from Hawaii the end of January to get my 1099's , etc. ready to send to my CPA.  Need to get my tax stuff asap because I am leaving for my TA on the Rotterdam the end of March and won't return till after tax filing date!

Mary Kay

So sorry to hear about your irregular heartbeat.  I hope that doesn't become a regular thing for you.  Otherwise you will need to seek your doctor's advice.  Take care!

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Mary Kay

Mary Kay.... we are having the same weather and while glad for the moisture, the gloppy mess is beginning to wear thin. We are having snow showers this afternoon but it should move out this evening and then drying out. We did get 5 inches more last night and early this morning which included snow, rain, freezing rain and a bit of hail. Main Avenue has a huge pile of snow down the middle of the street. I am going to have a big snowplow bill for the condos but that is ok by me.... I can't shovel any more. I am fortunate that my neighbor has been clearing my car for me since I need to move it every time the plow comes.

Sorry about your health issue. Take care.

Susan

• Like 14

Hello everyone,

So here’s the story.

Last Friday, while at my house, I took off my  ROSE-COLORED GLASSES.  In doing so, I realized that after the flooring was put down, no one cleaned it.  i found soda can rings and soda spills and lots of dust.  i took out the Swifter and went to work.  

I also noticed that the baseboards needed touching up.  There were marks all over them in every room.

The Service Master People, who were moving in the furniture said that they could not continue if these things were not corrected.  So they left.  So I have a mattress, but no bed frame.  A dining room table, but no chairs.  No kitchen table, etc.  You get the picture.

A call to the Contractor did not go well.  He insisted that the floor guy cleaned the floor and that the AC ducts were dirty and I needed to get them cleaned.  I insisted that was not the case.  it only got worse.

Then we had the weekend.  On Saturday the floor guy came and cleaned the floors after I cleaned them.

Today the painter was supposed to come, but did not show.  

However, the contractor showed.  We had a long talk.  He changed the AC filter for me and apologized for the meltdown on Friday.

So tomorrow the painter will show up to do the baseboards.

The Service Master will be here on Wednesday to continue to move in the furniture.  

So maybe we can begin to move in by the weekend?  Who knows.  

I will still need to find linens, etc.  before we can do that.

Do not ask me about DH.  He is a bit old than me and he is having a hard time with all this and most of all of this is falling on my shoulders. 

You people do not know how much of a support you have been.  I really appreciate your prayers and comments.  It means more than you’ll ever know.

So that is the state of affairs with the house right now.

Will keep you posted.

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We are also getting more spam emails and texts in the last few months.  Plus, there are some robo calls, the main one seems to be in Chinese, and for those we just hang up.

Lenda

Lenda

my gmail account allows me to select an unopened email and then select “report spam” from the option list. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from Sydney

Charlene 

Safe travels, Charlene! It has been very foggy the past few mornings.  Hope that will  have moved on by the time you return. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Lenda

my gmail account allows me to select an unopened email and then select “report spam” from the option list. 

Not Lenda, but our Comcast account does also.  But to unsubscribe I have to open the email. (and that option isn't always in the email anyway)  😞  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I've wondered about that (opening the email and responding in any way).  I do mark them as spam, and now Comcast does seem to put the German emails into my spam folder before I see them. 

Also I block the phone numbers.

Carolyn, we have one email account that we don't use, that let's us mark emails as spam, and that's all that we get on that account.  Sometimes on our other accounts,  the spam emails just disappear when we hit delete and do not even go to the trash.  BTW, I think I know the word that got you in trouble because my last post had to be approved before it would post.  

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from Sydney

Charlene 

Charlene, I'm glad you all had a great if different cruise, and that none of you got sick.  Wishing you a safe and uneventful flight home.

51 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I'm sorry you had such a bad episode, and I hope you go even longer than 8-9 years before you have another one.

14 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hello everyone,

So here’s the story.

Last Friday, while at my house, I took off my  ROSE-COLORED GLASSES.  In doing so, I realized that after the flooring was put down, no one cleaned it.  i found soda can rings and soda spills and lots of dust.  i took out the Swifter and went to work.  

I also noticed that the baseboards needed touching up.  There were marks all over them in every room.

The Service Master People, who were moving in the furniture said that they could not continue if these things were not corrected.  So they left.  So I have a mattress, but no bed frame.  A dining room table, but no chairs.  No kitchen table, etc.  You get the picture.

A call to the Contractor did not go well.  He insisted that the floor guy cleaned the floor and that the AC ducts were dirty and I needed to get them cleaned.  I insisted that was not the case.  it only got worse.

Then we had the weekend.  On Saturday the floor guy came and cleaned the floors after I cleaned them.

Today the painter was supposed to come, but did not show.  

However, the contractor showed.  We had a long talk.  He changed the AC filter for me and apologized for the meltdown on Friday.

So tomorrow the painter will show up to do the baseboards.

The Service Master will be here on Wednesday to continue to move in the furniture.  

So maybe we can begin to move in by the weekend?  Who knows.  

I will still need to find linens, etc.  before we can do that.

Do not ask me about DH.  He is a bit old than me and he is having a hard time with all this and most of all of this is falling on my shoulders. 

You people do not know how much of a support you have been.  I really appreciate your prayers and comments.  It means more than you’ll ever know.

So that is the state of affairs with the house right now.

Will keep you posted.

Terri

Terri, it sounds like things are back on schedule, and I hope this is the last snag in getting back into your house.  

14 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Lenda

Ann, see my comments to Carolyn, @Cruising-along above.  The account I mentioned is a Gmail based account.  

Lenda

• Like 11

I hope I don't bore you but we did another walk in the woods, and I am so excited about using my camera, and finally being able to post pictures. Tomorrow there will be no walk, so this will be it for a while.

It's cloudy, and drizzling on and off , it was after lunch when we went, not before.  I never saw any birds, but I did hear them.  And when the world is not marvelous with warmth and sunshine,  then you look at the smaller things to find the joy, and then it happens.

A darkening woodland-

image.thumb.jpeg.958805164ff7f80c7fe78c139d2db4e9.jpeg

The bridge to the meadow

image.thumb.jpeg.8732907617e7e3e0577c1dcf66d0e1b7.jpeg

Close up of what the meadow has in it now

image.thumb.jpeg.30531f0436023895d41376170a3514b7.jpeg

The path around the back side of the meadow

image.thumb.jpeg.3b0041a20343f62f1def635ce6150bda.jpeg

And what we saw in the woods today-

image.thumb.jpeg.74f60ed9031f1fa92dfb889ec9fe3840.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.be32393252da0e49d9fcd9e0764806ec.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Not Roy but using his instructions.works well

for each thread you want to follow, click the follow button at the top, chose send no emails, follow 

then go to activity in the blue header at the top of this thread

click on it, you get the heading, my activity stream 

click on content I follow

Any thread you are following will show up here.

i scroll down the list and go to the first highlighted one of a thread I want to get back to @nd it takes me to the last comment I read and I can continue from there.

i hope this makes sense. Ask away if something doesn’t. I love using it.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you both!  I’ll check and let you know if it works for me. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

International Stop Spam Day. This makes me very mad. No one’s going to stop me from eating Spam. It’s one of four basic food groups right behind hot dogs, sausage, peanuts and pickles.

There are meals that I only make while camping. One of them I learned in Girl Scouts “Catastrophe.” It’s diced Spam, diced canned new potatoes, scrambled with eggs. 😋

10 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning,

Just a quick hello before we have breakfast and showers and run off to our house to see what surprises await us today.  

Baseboards need to be touched up and hopefully they will resume replacing the furniture in our home again.  Story too long as to why they stopped on Friday..

New Living Room Furniture scheduled to come on Jan. 12.

Gotta go.

God Bless,

Terri

So glad your house is coming along. Floors look beautiful!

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Monday Morning Dailyites!  It seems odd that the parade is on today, and not on the actual first.

When the parade was on a Sunday, it bothered the horses and therefore churchgoers. So in 1893 the “Never on a Sunday” rule was implemented. 

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@dobiemom  I bet they don't cut any of the commercials from the rerun of the Rose Parade. 😉 🤣

On KTLA it’s first broadcast is without commercials. Not sure about the others stations. On repeat/encore I though it was shorter but it’s 30 min longer (according to the TV guide) and it has commercials. 🫤🙂

@mamaofami Happy Birthday to DH! 🎉🎂🎈

Thanks to @richwmnRich (and Roy) for the Daily and Locations of our BHBs.  Thanks to @rafinmdRoy for the Care and Celebration lists (and doing double/triple duty). And thanks to the food, wine, and beverge ladies for your input. 😘 

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 17

We love, love, LOVE Costa Maya!! 

The band's are so great and we didn't have any geriatric mariachi's.

We need all aboard by 9:30 tonight. We are going to this restaurant for dinner. Great day!

Stopped for a drink and this bird and Rotterdam were picture perfect.

0102231405c.thumb.jpg.d6737943b8dd1d781eadd600caf84f6f.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1