The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 20th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Not restarting but a one-off.  Today's sunrise is from my first post-covid cruise, Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore in February.  On February 20, 2022 we visited their private island of Coco Cay:

dawn0221a.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Happy Presidents Day. I like cherry pie, but not eating sweets now. I'll salute Hoodie Hoo day; come on Spring! Sweet quote. I'll pass on the meal (I like spicy, but too carby), drink and wine.

I haven't been to IJmuiden.

It's chilly and rain showers are expected. I'm heading out to a doctor's appointment soon. On the way home I need to stop at the pharmacy and the grocery store. Unfortunately one of my eye drops is out of stock.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up today, for Rich and Roy! It's great to hear your numbness after Mohs surgery has finally improved. Thanks for the Ijmuiden pictures.

@RMLincoln Woohoo on DS getting his passport!. On our prior cancelled cruise in November, BFF and I were doing the same thing by driving to Ft. Lauderdale over 3 days to make it easy. I used to never be able to put in eye drops, even with that alignment bottle. Once it was imperative, I started putting a magnifying mirror suction cupped to my bathroom mirror, and I pull down the lower lid and put drops in the pocket created. 

@kazu I'm hoping you don't get ice again. I aspire to one day start plants from seeds; for now I just buy what I need at the garden store.

@ottahand7 Good news that the house is ok. Sorry to hear of the medical issues of fellow passengers. 

@rafinmd Roy, good that you slept well. I gave it thought before putting Jimmy Carter on the Care List; I thought that regardless of one's political leanings, there was agreement on his being a humanitarian and a man of faith. Thanks for the sunrise picture.

@Cruzin Terri Safe trip home. I hope the bathroom renovation meets your expectations.

@TiogaCruiser That present looks great. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a partly cloudy central Texas.  It is supposed to be 83F today.  The plan was to clean out the flower beds and spray the weed killer, but that changed when I saw the forecast.  We are supposed to have fairly high winds this week.  Blowing leaves from the flower beds and spraying strong weed killer don't work well in wind.

We'll celebrate President's day, but probably won't have cherry pie.  I don't remember the last time I baked a cherry pie since there are other pies we like better.  If I go outside at noon and yell hoodie hoo, it will just confirm our neighbor's impression that I'm a little nuts.

I like today's quote.

We'll pass on the meal, ramen noodles, but might make the birria someday.  We'll also pass on the drink and the wine.

We have had the pleasure(?) to dock in Ijmuiden four times on b2b2b2b... cruises.  The first time, we embarked the Prinsendam, and the other three days were turn around days.  We wanted to take the ship's transfer to Amsterdam because taking the train could have been dicey.  The transfer was the most expensive tour to Amsterdam, and it was canceled every time for lack of passengers wanting to take the transfer.  In stead, we took a tour to see the windmills at Volendam and to Gouda one day, and the transfer to Haarlem another day.  The last time, we walked across the road from the port to the sand dunes.  I'll post some pictures in a little while.

@Erehwon  I was glad to see your post yesterday to know that you are safe.  I'm sorry about the devastation and loss of life from the cyclone and the earthquake.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you can get the paperwork finished today.  I love the memes.

@RMLincoln  Great news that DS's passport arrived.  Now, everyone can relax and enjoy the cruise.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad you house is all right.  We've had some late night UPS deliveries very close to the 9pm deadline.  I'm sorry you found Santos trashy.  It was a nice, clean town when we were there in 2015, and we enjoyed a city tour we picked up in the port terminal.  I hope your cruise friend and the other passenger are comfortable and improving.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad your numbness finally disappeared.

@rafinmd Roy, I'm glad you slept better.  I think it would be appropriate for Vanessa @JazzyV to add Jimmy Carter to rotation or even the care list.  Vanessa, I agree with you about putting Jimmy Carter on the care list.  Many people did not agree with his politics, but admired the way he lived his post-Presidency years, and all the good works he did during those years.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the weather forecasters were over zealous in their rain and snow predictions.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, safe travels today, and I hope the drive today is easier than yesterday with all the traffic around Daytona.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope the search for the new computer is successful today.  

@marshhawk  Annie, it sounds like you'll have a busy time in Vancouver before your cruise.  We didn't watch the entire Daytona 500, but did watch the last 20 laps or so.  That was a wild ending.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning,

I am not a cherry pie fan and I will be visiting the destination of the day in May.  Thanks to all who are keeping this thread going. 
Roy I am glad you are sleeping better. I know it seems slow on the road to recovery but you are getting there.

it looks like bad weather is creeping towards all of us. Please keep safe everyone. 
I agree President Carter was a unique individual who was a true humanitarian. He not only talked the talk he walked the walk. 
Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 26

Here are some pictures of Ijmuiden on our first and last time there.  We saw part of the town on our way to and from the port, but it was too far to walk into town the last time we docked there.

The port as we sailed toward the Baltic.

DSC05516.thumb.JPG.74e75da1422c32445d255f10127ac5cb.JPG

DSC05518.thumb.JPG.6eca08b8f7b0a405ececf7a42693050d.JPG

The port area on a sunnier day.

DSC06283.thumb.JPG.cc253d653ff35ba633f0a6262ae82a14.JPG

Across the street from the cruise terminal are some very tall sand dunes.  During WWII the Germans built a series of bunkers/gun emplacements in the dunes after they invaded The Netherlands.

DSC06850.thumb.JPG.a0539fa7239d7e904e17b361401adf4d.JPG

DSC06851.thumb.JPG.221cd4a1254087d70231f27bd19431ed.JPG

The gangway being removed in preparation to sail down the west coast of Europe and to the Mediterrean.

DSC06858.thumb.JPG.7fc753cf09fe14a10f005c315e444c1b.JPG

Views of the port and the beaches as we sailed.

DSC06853.thumb.JPG.fc00283b1c17c69e05510d68c85bf977.JPG

DSC06854.thumb.JPG.4fbaeaa7fe9adf379cb3208aa8d4e836.JPG

DSC06860.thumb.JPG.26b66a35867a4d51762578a437ebaf5b.JPG

DSC06867.thumb.JPG.ee13da6ed0f8b908059dfcd23f083e7f.JPG

DSC06868.thumb.JPG.315b1571af307edaeaef400ea88e63e2.JPG

One of the DFDS  ferries Graham @grapau27 mentioned.

DSC06865.thumb.JPG.f808e5fd87f16595c4af348dc0ae9d56.JPG

As ports go, Ijmuiden is not the greatest.  😁

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Not restarting but a one-off.  Today's sunrise is from my first post-covid cruise, Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore in February.  On February 20, 2022 we visited their private island of Coco Cay:

dawn0221a.jpg

Roy

I was with you, Roy!  Katherine 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a partly cloudy central Texas.  It is supposed to be 83F today.  The plan was to clean out the flower beds and spray the weed killer, but that changed when I saw the forecast.  We are supposed to have fairly high winds this week.  Blowing leaves from the flower beds and spraying strong weed killer don't work well in wind.

We'll celebrate President's day, but probably won't have cherry pie.  I don't remember the last time I baked a cherry pie since there are other pies we like better.  If I go outside at noon and yell hoodie hoo, it will just confirm our neighbor's impression that I'm a little nuts.

I like today's quote.

We'll pass on the meal, ramen noodles, but might make the birria someday.  We'll also pass on the drink and the wine.

We have had the pleasure(?) to dock in Ijmuiden four times on b2b2b2b... cruises.  The first time, we embarked the Prinsendam, and the other three days were turn around days.  We wanted to take the ship's transfer to Amsterdam because taking the train could have been dicey.  The transfer was the most expensive tour to Amsterdam, and it was canceled every time for lack of passengers wanting to take the transfer.  In stead, we took a tour to see the windmills at Volendam and to Gouda one day, and the transfer to Haarlem another day.  The last time, we walked across the road from the port to the sand dunes.  I'll post some pictures in a little while.

@Erehwon  I was glad to see your post yesterday to know that you are safe.  I'm sorry about the devastation and loss of life from the cyclone and the earthquake.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you can get the paperwork finished today.  I love the memes.

@RMLincoln  Great news that DS's passport arrived.  Now, everyone can relax and enjoy the cruise.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad you house is all right.  We've had some late night UPS deliveries very close to the 9pm deadline.  I'm sorry you found Santos trashy.  It was a nice, clean town when we were there in 2015, and we enjoyed a city tour we picked up in the port terminal.  I hope your cruise friend and the other passenger are comfortable and improving.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad your numbness finally disappeared.

@rafinmd Roy, I'm glad you slept better.  I think it would be appropriate for Vanessa @JazzyV to add Jimmy Carter to rotation or even the care list.  Vanessa, I agree with you about putting Jimmy Carter on the care list.  Many people did not agree with his politics, but admired the way he lived his post-Presidency years, and all the good works he did during those years.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the weather forecasters were over zealous in their rain and snow predictions.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, safe travels today, and I hope the drive today is easier than yesterday with all the traffic around Daytona.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope the search for the new computer is successful today.  

@marshhawk  Annie, it sounds like you'll have a busy time in Vancouver before your cruise.  We didn't watch the entire Daytona 500, but did watch the last 20 laps or so.  That was a wild ending.

Lenda

Here, here!  Regardless of politics Jimmy Carter is a fine example for all.  Katherine 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites from lovely Koningsdam.

It's a brisk sea day today and the wind is howling. I sent a text via Navigator about the screeching and rumbling of our cabin door. It sounded like a cat knocking on the door. When we came back from dinner the noise was gone. I think it has to do with the auto door, which we are grateful for.

Sandi I wonder what your favorite part of your cruise was? Thank you to Ann for pitch hitting for you and thank YOU for taking the task over for Roy and Rich.

Lots of prayers lifted for our Daily family this morning. 

Ok friends from Canada: get out there today and start screaming Hoodie Hoo! What harm can it do and may work! You never know!

image.png.fc3ff41734e46514e3cc1de833a58c13.png

I think adding President Carter to our prayer list is a good thing. He gave so much time to Habitat for Humanity, his giving outweighs his politics. 

We met a Cruise Critic friend last night after dinner. She reads our Daily but rarely posts. Welcome Donna and hope to see you again soon!

My sweet husband is starting to stir, so signing off for now. Lifting prayers and blessings to my Daily Family. Be kind!!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

Graham’s Sarah losing a close friend

Ger_77 with dental issue

RIP Temple University Police officer killed in line of duty

46,000+ deaths after Turkish & Syrian earthquakes

New Zealand affected by cyclone/flooding, with deaths and many missing people

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Cruising sister recovering from hand surgery

Cruising-along’s kidney issues, seeing Nephrologist next week 

My BFF’s Uncle, who is doing poorly, and has perhaps only days

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shout outs:

StLouisCruiser’s starting the Fleet Report/Daily

Roy starting to sleep better

Cruzin Terri Welcome Home!

Dfish’s happiness with her new home, and being near family 

Luvteaching’s DH’s continued slow improvement

3 days for Lady Hudson (Enchantment of the Seas 2/23 to 3/3)

5 days for RMLincoln family cruise (Rotterdam 2/25 to 3/8)

5 days for SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam 2/25 to 3/11) 

5 days for Cruisercl (NCL Bliss 2/25 to 3/12)

5 days for Mr. Boston (Celebrity Millennium 2/25 to 3/4)

ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

Thank you for today's lists Vanessa and for Sarah's mention.

Graham.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

dawn0221a.jpg

Roy

Roy @rafinmd.

Coco cay sunrise and then around 10am from our balcony 

Graham.

IMG_20230130_063454.jpg

IMG_20230130_074042.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all. I was up early this morning but after walking the dogs, I headed out the grocery store to beat the crowd I know will be descending up on it later. They are forecasting snow for us beginning Tuesday night and continuing through Wednesday with high winds. We will see. Today is pleasant and I managed to find the basics I needed. Now to just settle in. I have a meeting scheduled for Wednesday night but will wait and see what the weather is really like. Probably postpone it.

Today I am continuing the room by room cleansing which did not get very far yesterday. Have my eagle eye on two closets that are more than ready for a purge. I have a good deal of my Mother's stuff that my Sister sent me since she did not want to deal with it and I need to be very careful in sorting that. Probably some paperwork related to family history in there. One piece at time to be thoroughly reviewed takes time.

On the cruise side, I am booked for the Grand Australia/New Zealand on the Volendam for January 2023 and now have to wait it out. There are some "ifs" but so far it is a go. Got my favorite location on the ship. I have made several tentative arrangements for the dogs.... just have to pick out how they will be handled closer to the time. As long as they are together they will be content with any of them. Monty does rely on Bandit for support in everyday life.

Sending my best wishes and prayers to those in the path of the coming storm and to the people of New Zealand recovering from the terrible one they just had. Also of course to the people of the Ukraine and to our Daily members family and friends.

Susan

• Like 31

Happy Monday/President's Day.  Yesterday was blue skies, and today is grey and overcast.  Wish the weather would make up its mind.  Guess snow coming for mountains, and rain for us later in the week.  Of course, I have two county meetings (different counties) and it is supposed to rain.  Rain usually doesn't bother me for driving, as I lived in Florida for 19 years!  It seemed to rain almost every day as I got off work and had to drive home.

Daytona 500 was enjoyable, and the driver who won was a surprise!  All of my "favorite" drivers ended up with their car in a non-running/wrecked situation!  Oh well, that is Daytona!

Prayers for all on the Care List.  I concur with having President Carter on the Cares List.  It is an example to all that home hospice care can bring peace.  So many in our world are hurting for so many reasons.

My jobs for this week are a much needed haircut, and a much needed mani/pedi.  After I returned from Hawaii I was sick for over a week, and then was out of town last week.  Typing is hard with these long nails, and I can barely see through the hair almost covering my eyes!

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 25

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I enjoyed watching the race yesterday, although not too sure if the coverage was that great.  I think NASCAR should have it's own channel like F1 does.  No commercials.  I would pay for that, don't think DH would, he slept through 3/4 of the race.  

👍👍👍

Although living in the Pacific time zone we have a bit of an advantage.  We always DVR races, and, so, when we sit down to watch them, we can blast through the commercials.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Not much closes around here for Presidents Day, though when I worked it signaled the beginning of the “dry spell”, with Memorial Day and July 4 being the only holidays.

Most importantly, schools are closed.  😄  That means that there was no traffic on my 2-mile commute to the bagel shop.  Life is good.

in my work days there were several holidays that the company did not observe:  Columbus Day, Presidents Day, and Veterans Day.  In exchange we always had four day weekends for Christmas, Independence Day and Thanksgiving.  I was very OK with that program, but it was a bit of a long haul between New Years Day and Memorial Day

• Like 21

Good morning all and Happy Presidents Day and Family Day to our Canadian friends.

Cherry pie is DH's favorite, but we don't have it often.  In the past we bought pie cherries from farms and I made the pies with "real" cherries. 😉  But nobody else in the family cares for cherry pie, and a whole pie is too much for the two of us so...

The quote is a good one, as is the drink and wine but I'll pass on the meal.  Have been to Amsterdam a few times but never to this port.

Today I'll find out if DD will be picking up the kittens and taking them home for a few days before they leave for their Whistler ski trip, or if they will continue to stay with us.  I'm betting the boys (and DD) have missed them and will want them home those few days, but we'll see.  I haven't gotten much done while they've been here, but we sure are having fun.

• Like 25

Good morning, Dailyites, and a big thank you to all who post with interesting tidbits, recipes, etc.  Here in BC it is also Family Day, but there has been some discussion about making it First Nations' Day.  I'm not sure if/when that will happen.  At the moment we have a small box shaped like a bear that has been in the California family for a long time, it was given to my mother's cousin's father when he had a cannery somewhere in BC.  It is now in Pat's study and waiting to be taken to UBC for their indigenous museum.  DD will be taking it over one of these days.  It is a "well-loved" box, played with by many generations, I'm not sure what the museum will do with it, but they keep sending little messages reminding us that it was promised to them!

IMG_6817.thumb.JPG.514969dd77986b7f2e9c2b5cbf342d67.JPG

About hoodie-hoo day - here on the island we have 3 types of owls, I believe.  A birder friend explained to me that they have different calls.  We have two nearby that we hear many nights if the windows are open, one says "Hoodie-hoo....who?" and the other says "Hoo-hoo.......who?" but I can't remember which is which.  So it must be Owl Day here.

Pat has his pre-op tests and consultations this week, they are going to interfere with my stamp club meetings, 🙁 - I will have to see if I can get a ride with a neighbour.  We also have phone appointments with our family doctor.  I am going to try to persuade him that I should go off Prolia for a while, as, although he scoffs at the pain I have in my leg for the past year, there are reports that it can be a side effect, even when it's not connected with an atypical femoral fracture.  As the Prolia is wearing off this time, my thigh pain is actually lessening, and I would like to see if it continues to get better.  My last bone density study in November had me back  to being osteopenic, so I should be able to manage for a while without the shots.

• Like 23

Good afternoon from a cloudy central Texas.  It looks like the sun is trying to make another appearance, and it is now 74F.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites from lovely Koningsdam.

It's a brisk sea day today and the wind is howling. I sent a text via Navigator about the screeching and rumbling of our cabin door. It sounded like a cat knocking on the door. When we came back from dinner the noise was gone. I think it has to do with the auto door, which we are grateful for.

Sandi I wonder what your favorite part of your cruise was? Thank you to Ann for pitch hitting for you and thank YOU for taking the task over for Roy and Rich.

Lots of prayers lifted for our Daily family this morning. 

Ok friends from Canada: get out there today and start screaming Hoodie Hoo! What harm can it do and may work! You never know!

image.png.fc3ff41734e46514e3cc1de833a58c13.png

I think adding President Carter to our prayer list is a good thing. He gave so much time to Habitat for Humanity, his giving outweighs his politics. 

We met a Cruise Critic friend last night after dinner. She reads our Daily but rarely posts. Welcome Donna and hope to see you again soon!

My sweet husband is starting to stir, so signing off for now. Lifting prayers and blessings to my Daily Family. Be kind!!

Joy, enjoy your sea days, especially now that the door is quiet.  When we were on Koningsdam, we found we received a prompt response when we sent a message via the Navigator.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning to all. I was up early this morning but after walking the dogs, I headed out the grocery store to beat the crowd I know will be descending up on it later. They are forecasting snow for us beginning Tuesday night and continuing through Wednesday with high winds. We will see. Today is pleasant and I managed to find the basics I needed. Now to just settle in. I have a meeting scheduled for Wednesday night but will wait and see what the weather is really like. Probably postpone it.

Today I am continuing the room by room cleansing which did not get very far yesterday. Have my eagle eye on two closets that are more than ready for a purge. I have a good deal of my Mother's stuff that my Sister sent me since she did not want to deal with it and I need to be very careful in sorting that. Probably some paperwork related to family history in there. One piece at time to be thoroughly reviewed takes time.

On the cruise side, I am booked for the Grand Australia/New Zealand on the Volendam for January 2023 and now have to wait it out. There are some "ifs" but so far it is a go. Got my favorite location on the ship. I have made several tentative arrangements for the dogs.... just have to pick out how they will be handled closer to the time. As long as they are together they will be content with any of them. Monty does rely on Bandit for support in everyday life.

Sending my best wishes and prayers to those in the path of the coming storm and to the people of New Zealand recovering from the terrible one they just had. Also of course to the people of the Ukraine and to our Daily members family and friends.

Susan

Susan, I found it interesting, but time consuming going through all the old newspapers and paperwork my father saved.  I'm also eyeing the 2024 Grand Australia/New Zealand cruise, but we are holding off booking anything for a few more months while DH recovers.

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Happy Monday/President's Day.  Yesterday was blue skies, and today is grey and overcast.  Wish the weather would make up its mind.  Guess snow coming for mountains, and rain for us later in the week.  Of course, I have two county meetings (different counties) and it is supposed to rain.  Rain usually doesn't bother me for driving, as I lived in Florida for 19 years!  It seemed to rain almost every day as I got off work and had to drive home.

Daytona 500 was enjoyable, and the driver who won was a surprise!  All of my "favorite" drivers ended up with their car in a non-running/wrecked situation!  Oh well, that is Daytona!

Prayers for all on the Care List.  I concur with having President Carter on the Cares List.  It is an example to all that home hospice care can bring peace.  So many in our world are hurting for so many reasons.

My jobs for this week are a much needed haircut, and a much needed mani/pedi.  After I returned from Hawaii I was sick for over a week, and then was out of town last week.  Typing is hard with these long nails, and I can barely see through the hair almost covering my eyes!

Have a great day, everyone!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, be careful on the wet roads.  My picks for the winner of the Daytona were also eliminated by wrecks.  IIRC, on the last lap, all but the three or four front runners were in a wreck.

36 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all and Happy Presidents Day and Family Day to our Canadian friends.

Cherry pie is DH's favorite, but we don't have it often.  In the past we bought pie cherries from farms and I made the pies with "real" cherries. 😉  But nobody else in the family cares for cherry pie, and a whole pie is too much for the two of us so...

The quote is a good one, as is the drink and wine but I'll pass on the meal.  Have been to Amsterdam a few times but never to this port.

Today I'll find out if DD will be picking up the kittens and taking them home for a few days before they leave for their Whistler ski trip, or if they will continue to stay with us.  I'm betting the boys (and DD) have missed them and will want them home those few days, but we'll see.  I haven't gotten much done while they've been here, but we sure are having fun.

Sometimes just have to have fun with the kids or the furry kids instead of getting anything accomplished.  Cute picture of the kitty and the puzzle.

14 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and a big thank you to all who post with interesting tidbits, recipes, etc.  Here in BC it is also Family Day, but there has been some discussion about making it First Nations' Day.  I'm not sure if/when that will happen.  At the moment we have a small box shaped like a bear that has been in the California family for a long time, it was given to my mother's cousin's father when he had a cannery somewhere in BC.  It is now in Pat's study and waiting to be taken to UBC for their indigenous museum.  DD will be taking it over one of these days.  It is a "well-loved" box, played with by many generations, I'm not sure what the museum will do with it, but they keep sending little messages reminding us that it was promised to them!

IMG_6817.thumb.JPG.514969dd77986b7f2e9c2b5cbf342d67.JPG

About hoodie-hoo day - here on the island we have 3 types of owls, I believe.  A birder friend explained to me that they have different calls.  We have two nearby that we hear many nights if the windows are open, one says "Hoodie-hoo....who?" and the other says "Hoo-hoo.......who?" but I can't remember which is which.  So it must be Owl Day here.

Pat has his pre-op tests and consultations this week, they are going to interfere with my stamp club meetings, 🙁 - I will have to see if I can get a ride with a neighbour.  We also have phone appointments with our family doctor.  I am going to try to persuade him that I should go off Prolia for a while, as, although he scoffs at the pain I have in my leg for the past year, there are reports that it can be a side effect, even when it's not connected with an atypical femoral fracture.  As the Prolia is wearing off this time, my thigh pain is actually lessening, and I would like to see if it continues to get better.  My last bone density study in November had me back  to being osteopenic, so I should be able to manage for a while without the shots.

Ann, that is an interesting box.  I hope all the pre-opt tests for Pat and the phone appointments with your family doctor go well.

I have some pictures of our tour on August 8, 2016, to see the windmills in The Netherlands and to Edam.  Earlier, I said we'd been to Gouda, but it was Edam, which is just next to Volendam.  The windmills were between Amsterdam and Edam, so we got to see a lot of the Dutch countryside.  I'm going to post the pictures of Edam in a separate post, or this one would be too long.

Arriving at De Zaansche Molen, the windmill museum on the River Zaan.

DSC05519.thumb.JPG.67b278af70e7c5e5f8c1e7ef67254244.JPG

Before we toured the windmills, we saw a demonstration about how the Dutch wooden shoes are made.  I have a pair of wooden shoes my mother bought in The Netherlands on a tour of Europe with the Hardin-Simmons University Cowboy band in about 1930.  I also have her authentic Dutch hat. 

DSC05522.thumb.JPG.226accc33f9dea3b2601de76ffd9fb70.JPG

DSC05524.thumb.JPG.629662c7f67dbea95b634d092536952d.JPG

DSC05526.thumb.JPG.b4dc71a2370ddba7483c381b3209cdfa.JPG

Of course, there was an opportunity to buy some wooden shoes along with other souvenirs.

DSC05527.thumb.JPG.f2540495a9efb8996fb5cf5fdc902577.JPG

Houses near the windmills

DSC05530.thumb.JPG.d517be5d613ad0c10a7c6b336231422b.JPG

More windmills on the Zaan.

DSC05531.thumb.JPG.fcd33b68b20c2affd8210d0ecbddeb39.JPG

DSC05549.thumb.JPG.68cf51282c120a807ef1455ce4c68cb8.JPG

We got to go in one of the working windmills, Paintmill de Kat, the world's only paint making windmill.  In stead of grinding grain, he was making powder pigment.  DH climbed the steep ladder to the upper level, but I stayed downstairs.  The grinding wheels are a little blurred because they were turning.

DSC05536.thumb.JPG.f4f30f05456cc0ffd02a5665beb639cc.JPG

DSC05537.thumb.JPG.70ed20c56cae96b448e5256e01e68fbd.JPG

DSC05540.thumb.JPG.9065f5377dacaf46bbe03b5868c5d24b.JPG

DSC05544.thumb.JPG.24e804466b28b64597388c75c2837ce5.JPG

DSC05547.thumb.JPG.2d18f6813c33091004657b8f8fe5c1fc.JPG

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Our next stop was Edam, a very nice town.  We did a walking tour of the town before reaching the central square.

There were bridges all along the canal for boats heading to open water.

DSC05556.thumb.JPG.13afdf6a3ca77ef8261a64c8e7f7a0ba.JPG

DSC05558.thumb.JPG.ecedac7918f468748aaf5e118d87f574.JPG

Some of the houses along the canal

DSC05561.thumb.JPG.09ae9cde2aa6d773abc8a2fe4b523768.JPG

DSC05563.thumb.JPG.646c3509ca2bd5c01b51d464ea69bf69.JPG

DSC05564.thumb.JPG.605d1a4a40f6544f02c9dd2ada6e5e51.JPG

A quiet residential street and some of the many gardens.

DSC05567.thumb.JPG.50c4f1e07838ed6571f785e9b780cc55.JPG

DSC05570.thumb.JPG.5a50cad851aad8bdfbd25b893397935f.JPG

Busier streets

DSC05576.thumb.JPG.d103bfe6bebdb84654dfb9c36a9646d8.JPG

DSC05579.thumb.JPG.dea7c2c8d60d3291a91f2053aab5fba7.JPG

When we reached the central square, we found we were very lucky to be there on a Wednesday in summer.  They recreate the Edam Market from the past on Wednesday during the summer.

DSC05587.thumb.JPG.d4efad57c159b208d726934af2b8b11a.JPG

DSC05588.thumb.JPG.46233dd780c17dd4606f02768eff54b9.JPG

DSC05591.thumb.JPG.bab33e54128a0361dc6cbe2cdee84cab.JPG

DSC05598.thumb.JPG.4b3ce206d98171e25c7725625914a122.JPG

DSC05604.thumb.JPG.2dd0641dc34eb59b49cd507eb187be2e.JPG

A local church

DSC05607.thumb.JPG.9810068ce728a85519ab7fcdfb0cbaff.JPG

DSC05608.thumb.JPG.27b87d70dbefbf19a346a9e05b6ae8bd.JPG

Part of the floor in the church

DSC05609.thumb.JPG.ae6b30e54996d0e7fc2d00a40b4a1074.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

On August 23, 2016, the Prinsendam again docked in IJmuiden.  That day, we decided to take the shuttle to Haarlem, where we walked around.  We stayed around the main area where the shuttle dropped us off.  

DSC06260.thumb.JPG.210b1fd22464ab343517ecda569dd648.JPG

DSC06261.thumb.JPG.9766202c25cc5c4e89afb6d40be29580.JPG

The cathedral.  We tried to go in the cathedral, but in spite of being told it would be open, we couldn't find an unlocked door.

DSC06263.thumb.JPG.5c05cd56858701ec6c09bb3896aa5f0d.JPG

DSC06265.thumb.JPG.1851f2404763c14063aa3df974bcfe8a.JPG

We walked over to the main shopping area, then headed back to the shuttle pick up point.

DSC06270.thumb.JPG.004626994fabad3840afc7e63f390eb1.JPG

DSC06271.thumb.JPG.46679c1074237d8ae11a5678e92d1f4f.JPG

DSC06273.thumb.JPG.9b19fc1578faa6e5e5da5b42efac1c83.JPG

DSC06281.thumb.JPG.7759d7966d65731c26b031b430638762.JPG

Haarlem is a nice city, but it was mainly a place to go to get off the ship for a few hours.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Thanks everyone for the Daily 

@marshhawkit seems like you have some good plans for our city.  Just wish the Maritime Museum had a bit more to offer, only a small percentage of artifacts can be displayed at a given time.  Still, worth the effort to see the St Roche on display, having made the Northwest Passage.

Enjoying the day off, going to try get some projects done today.

Everyone has been getting under my skin this weekend, including myself.  Missed seeing my great nephews first hockey tournament because I messed up the time and location.  DWs BFF got to me with the usual unsolicited advice.  The topper was trying to buy the DW a new car.  Salesman got ugly and agressive, so took a walk. Lots of other dealers willing to take my money.

Have a great day everyone, looks like we have winds tonight and another deep freeze (for us) on the way

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, happy family day!  And presidents day!  thanks all!  A big shout out to all who have kept this thread going!  Sandy, Anne, Jazzy, dfish and Lenda for her beautiful photos.  And to those I have no doubt missed! 

@Vict0riann follow your gut, I had an atypical femoral stress fracture from Fosamax,  several doctors tried to minimize but finally an orthopedic surgeon diagnosed it.  I am much better without, but the endocrinologist wants me on Prolia because he says there’s less risk,  I have declined so far as my density is better.  I strongly recommend hiking poles, my physio thinks they have helped. 

@lobsternight I hate those type of salesperson!  Ps try lexus

8935EAA9-901E-4100-9624-939E9322F64C.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from a cloudy central Texas.  It looks like the sun is trying to make another appearance, and it is now 74F.

Joy, enjoy your sea days, especially now that the door is quiet.  When we were on Koningsdam, we found we received a prompt response when we sent a message via the Navigator.

Susan, I found it interesting, but time consuming going through all the old newspapers and paperwork my father saved.  I'm also eyeing the 2024 Grand Australia/New Zealand cruise, but we are holding off booking anything for a few more months while DH recovers.

Mary Kay, be careful on the wet roads.  My picks for the winner of the Daytona were also eliminated by wrecks.  IIRC, on the last lap, all but the three or four front runners were in a wreck.

Sometimes just have to have fun with the kids or the furry kids instead of getting anything accomplished.  Cute picture of the kitty and the puzzle.

Ann, that is an interesting box.  I hope all the pre-opt tests for Pat and the phone appointments with your family doctor go well.

I have some pictures of our tour on August 8, 2016, to see the windmills in The Netherlands and to Edam.  Earlier, I said we'd been to Gouda, but it was Edam, which is just next to Volendam.  The windmills were between Amsterdam and Edam, so we got to see a lot of the Dutch countryside.  I'm going to post the pictures of Edam in a separate post, or this one would be too long.

Arriving at De Zaansche Molen, the windmill museum on the River Zaan.

DSC05519.thumb.JPG.67b278af70e7c5e5f8c1e7ef67254244.JPG

Before we toured the windmills, we saw a demonstration about how the Dutch wooden shoes are made.  I have a pair of wooden shoes my mother bought in The Netherlands on a tour of Europe with the Hardin-Simmons University Cowboy band in about 1930.  I also have her authentic Dutch hat. 

DSC05522.thumb.JPG.226accc33f9dea3b2601de76ffd9fb70.JPG

DSC05524.thumb.JPG.629662c7f67dbea95b634d092536952d.JPG

DSC05526.thumb.JPG.b4dc71a2370ddba7483c381b3209cdfa.JPG

Of course, there was an opportunity to buy some wooden shoes along with other souvenirs.

DSC05527.thumb.JPG.f2540495a9efb8996fb5cf5fdc902577.JPG

Houses near the windmills

DSC05530.thumb.JPG.d517be5d613ad0c10a7c6b336231422b.JPG

More windmills on the Zaan.

DSC05531.thumb.JPG.fcd33b68b20c2affd8210d0ecbddeb39.JPG

DSC05549.thumb.JPG.68cf51282c120a807ef1455ce4c68cb8.JPG

We got to go in one of the working windmills, Paintmill de Kat, the world's only paint making windmill.  In stead of grinding grain, he was making powder pigment.  DH climbed the steep ladder to the upper level, but I stayed downstairs.  The grinding wheels are a little blurred because they were turning.

DSC05536.thumb.JPG.f4f30f05456cc0ffd02a5665beb639cc.JPG

DSC05537.thumb.JPG.70ed20c56cae96b448e5256e01e68fbd.JPG

DSC05540.thumb.JPG.9065f5377dacaf46bbe03b5868c5d24b.JPG

DSC05544.thumb.JPG.24e804466b28b64597388c75c2837ce5.JPG

DSC05547.thumb.JPG.2d18f6813c33091004657b8f8fe5c1fc.JPG

Lenda

Thank you for the interesting photos Lenda.

Today would have been Pauline's late dad's 96th birthday.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1