Open loop cruise, what happens if you don't get your passport in time? Insurance?

robinbtigger

Hi everyone!  I just booked an "open loop" cruise leaving in about 7 weeks.  It leaves SJU and and arrives in NYC.  My friend's passport is expired and was speaking to a TA yesterday who told her that she didn't need one, so she sent her passport into be renewed and didn't pay for it to be expedited.  While we were trying to book the cruise today we were told that she *does* need a passport because it's not a "closed loop" cruise.  She called the State Department and they said she could pay to get it expedited once it shows up as being processed.  She's in DC and they said she could get it within 28 days.  I'm not sure if that's once it shows up as being processed or the entire wait time.  According to the State Department, expedited passports are taking about 5-7 weeks so she's cutting it very close.  It's too bad she already sent it in because she would have qualified for Urgent Travel and gotten an appointment in DC to renew it in person.

I know that she will not be able to board without a passport.  Does insurance cover the cost of the cruise if her passport doesn't get to her in time?  They can probably still have a little vacation in San Juan if they can't make the sailing but they don't want to eat $2500 if the passport doesn't get there in time.

It's unlikely that any insurance would provide coverage, especially if she didn't have a passport when the cruise was booked. Some insurance does cover if travel has to be cancelled because of lost or stolen travel documents, I don't believe they cover not having the travel document in the first place. She should probably wait to book until she has the passport in hand (which means hoping that there are cabins left by that time).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, robinbtigger said:

Hi everyone!  I just booked an "open loop" cruise leaving in about 7 weeks.  It leaves SJU and and arrives in NYC.  My friend's passport is expired and was speaking to a TA yesterday who told her that she didn't need one, so she sent her passport into be renewed and didn't pay for it to be expedited.  While we were trying to book the cruise today we were told that she *does* need a passport because it's not a "closed loop" cruise.  She called the State Department and they said she could pay to get it expedited once it shows up as being processed.  She's in DC and they said she could get it within 28 days.  I'm not sure if that's once it shows up as being processed or the entire wait time.  According to the State Department, expedited passports are taking about 5-7 weeks so she's cutting it very close.  It's too bad she already sent it in because she would have qualified for Urgent Travel and gotten an appointment in DC to renew it in person.

I know that she will not be able to board without a passport.  Does insurance cover the cost of the cruise if her passport doesn't get to her in time?  They can probably still have a little vacation in San Juan if they can't make the sailing but they don't want to eat $2500 if the passport doesn't get there in time.

You could opt for very expensive “cancel for any reason” insurance but I expect the passport issue you describe would be excluded.

That said, you can request from the State Dept, an emergency passport renewal within about two weeks (?) of the trip. But, the appts. Are in major cities with an agency office and reservations are often hard to get - this requiring possible domestic travel to get one.

57 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You could opt for very expensive “cancel for any reason” insurance but I expect the passport issue you describe would be excluded.

That said, you can request from the State Dept, an emergency passport renewal within about two weeks (?) of the trip. But, the appts. Are in major cities with an agency office and reservations are often hard to get - this requiring possible domestic travel to get one.

My understanding is that CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) is really CDNR (Cancel For NO Reason).

Does one need to give a reason?  If so (and I'd doubt one is needed, which is the point of CFAR), then just say you changed your mind, or didn't want to go anymore.  And that would be true:  Why would one want to travel to the ship, if one knows one would be turned away at the port?

If I'm wrong about there needing to be "included reasons" for CFAR, I would really like to learn about this, because if so, we have not been understanding it.  I thought the purpose of CFAR was precisely NOT to need to match any "included reasons".

Thanks.

GC

I’ve never heard of a situation where travel

Insurance covered someone who failed to know/apply for passports/visas ahead of time. Getting your passport stolen the day before you leave, maybe. But lining up your travel documentation is the traveler’s duty. If they have written info from the travel agent that a passport wasn’t needed, they may be able to pursue reimbursement through them.

Edited by sanger727

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

My understanding is that CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) is really CDNR (Cancel For NO Reason).

Does one need to give a reason?  If so (and I'd doubt one is needed, which is the point of CFAR), then just say you changed your mind, or didn't want to go anymore.  And that would be true:  Why would one want to travel to the ship, if one knows one would be turned away at the port?

If I'm wrong about there needing to be "included reasons" for CFAR, I would really like to learn about this, because if so, we have not been understanding it.  I thought the purpose of CFAR was precisely NOT to need to match any "included reasons".

Thanks.

GC

Your understanding is correct.

Two things of importance on a CFAR policy:

(1) On the policies I've seen you only are paid 75% of the amount you're out.

(2) You have to cancel no later than 48 hours, or two calendar days depending on the policy language, prior to your scheduled trip, so you can't make the go/no go decision at the absolute last minute.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I’ve never heard of a situation where travel

Insurance covered someone who failed to know/apply for passports/visas ahead of time. Getting your passport stolen the day before you leave, maybe. But lining up your travel documentation is the traveler’s duty. If they have written info from the travel agent that a passport wasn’t needed, they may be able to pursue reimbursement through them.

A has already been noted you can buy CFAR coverage, and you do not have to prove a reason for cancelling beyond "I decided not to go".

57 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Your understanding is correct.

Two things of importance on a CFAR policy:

(1) On the policies I've seen you only are paid 75% of the amount you're out.

(2) You have to cancel no later than 48 hours, or two calendar days depending on the policy language, prior to your scheduled trip, so you can't make the go/no go decision at the absolute last minute.

Thanks.  I was pretty sure I had asked LOTS (!) of questions about this the first few times we travel insurance, which thus far has always included CFAR.

Something else important to note is since they (some insurers, anyway) added "Trip Interruption For Any Reason", there's another 48 hour waiting period after the trip start.  So that's 2 x 48 hours that one can't get a 75% refund "at will".

And with 3rd party travel insurance (but always double check *your* particular policy rules!), that 75% is "cash back", NOT a credit of some sort, possibly with a deadline to use or lose.

NOTE:  This was as it was in TheBeforeTimes.  I don't know if it's changed more recently.

GC

I think you should check into the regulations for sailing from San Juan.  I believe there was an exception to the PVSA rules for Puerto Rico, made so that Carnival could run what was almost a ferry service to Florida.  But I don’t know if it is still relevant.  Maybe @chengkp75could tell us.  EM

50 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I think you should check into the regulations for sailing from San Juan.  I believe there was an exception to the PVSA rules for Puerto Rico, made so that Carnival could run what was almost a ferry service to Florida.  But I don’t know if it is still relevant.  Maybe @chengkp75could tell us.  EM

Yes, there's a PVSA exemption in place for Puerto Rico, but that is to eliminate the need for a ship to make a call at a distant foreign port in order to carry passengers between Puerto Rico and another US port. A cruise between Puerto Rico and another US port still doesn't permit passengers to travel with just a birth certificate and a photo ID, as only closed loop cruises qualify for that exception to the passport requirement. The cruise could be taken with a passport card .

Why not give a call to a professional, experienced travel insurance broker who provides answers to specific questions. Steve and his staff at tripinsurancestore.com

will help you out with facts, not speculation. Yes, he's a broker, and he will help you whether or not you purchase insurance through his website. (And both brokers mentioned here do not charge more for insurance than booking directly with insurance company.)

Insuremytrip.com is another broker who is widely respected on Cruise Critic. And check out the travel insurance board here.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

1 hour ago, Shorex said:

Why not give a call to a professional, experienced travel insurance broker who provides answers to specific questions. Steve and his staff at tripinsurancestore.com

will help you out with facts, not speculation. Yes, he's a broker, and he will help you whether or not you purchase insurance through his website. (And both brokers mentioned here do not charge more for insurance than booking directly with insurance company.)

Insuremytrip.com is another broker who is widely respected on Cruise Critic. And check out the travel insurance board here.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

InsureMyTrip has a far more robust and comprehensive search engine that helps you look at policy options you may want to discuss with their agents over the phone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Just curious, why does it take so long to get the passport in the US? Something special right now or is it always like that?

As I understand it this is due to staffing issues. Since the passports are made with specific materials this might also be linked to supply chain issues. 

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Just curious, why does it take so long to get the passport in the US? Something special right now or is it always like that?

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

As I understand it this is due to staffing issues. Since the passports are made with specific materials this might also be linked to supply chain issues. 

Additionally the documents required contain personal information of the passport holder and can only be processed at the passport offices for security purposes. No WFH for these folks. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, there's a PVSA exemption in place for Puerto Rico, but that is to eliminate the need for a ship to make a call at a distant foreign port in order to carry passengers between Puerto Rico and another US port.

Actually, the PVSA exemption for Puerto Rico eliminates the need for any foreign port call.  

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

InsureMyTrip has a far more robust and comprehensive search engine that helps you look at policy options you may want to discuss with their agents over the phone. 

Unfortunately, they are losing some credibility on the dedicated thread over on the travel insurance forum. It appears as though a chatbot or if it's an actual person is cut and pasting very generic answers and not being very helpful and not following up on a post that they do reply to when a potential client asks to have an answer clarified.

22 hours ago, robinbtigger said:

Perhaps your friend has or can more rapidly acquire one of the other documents listed in the Land or Sea Travel section of https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3618?language=en_US.

Edited by broberts

4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Unfortunately, they are losing some credibility on the dedicated thread over on the travel insurance forum. It appears as though a chatbot or if it's an actual person is cut and pasting very generic answers and not being very helpful and not following up on a post that they do reply to when a potential client asks to have an answer clarified.

FWIW: The fact remains that InsureMyTrip has the far better search engine and UI which allow you to peruse far more detailed and customizable quotes in your initial research. Skip the chat option and call them direct. I’ve found their phone staff in Rhode Island to be knowledgeable and efficient.

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The reason why I asked is that in Sweden we normally have to wait for only a few days but we have had problems with that too recently.

• Like 1