The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday March 30th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

7 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

No spring tree for me but a spring mantle.  Former teacher here.26F7B9BD-1BC3-42A2-846F-A315A0AF478A.thumb.jpeg.6276fc167c0b3dbfcb799818c44ad5b2.jpeg

Love your rabbits!  And Easter basket grass behind them.  My collection consists of only two rabbit knickknacks.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKS5GqsJOBwnPhXB7V648TBaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1680185304

DD calls this her wise rabbit.  No word on the bird's nickname.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKZebLm137qx1u8uIsXkAcGqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647952821

Only two more days until April 1st, white rabbit time again.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm in control most days, except when on a cruise - then I let someone else take over.  Yay for doctors; we're among the fortunate who actually have one and have had for the past 40 years.  I'd like to take a walk in the park, except ours are still covered in snow, lots of snow.

It looks like our weather may be smartening up a bit; this morning we're sitting at a mild -8C (17F), and the high will be -1 which means if the sun decides to come out, there should be some melting of the glaciers in the front and back yards.  A slow melt is always good, as it means the water isn't running away, it's packing down the snow banks and will be able to be absorbed by the earth. 

Yesterday we dropped off the blankets for children going into foster care - I was able to pack them into 2 giant sized zip top bags with carry handles - and as I was leaving the office, I heard the receptionist say "Ladies, we have blankets !!!!!"  I'm not sure how many they'll be able to collect, but I was happy my efforts may have helped.

Not a lot on the agenda today, DH is going out to his son's acreage to check on it.  Last time they went, they saw large wolf tracks in the snow around the house; I'm glad there isn't anyone living out there, especially in the winter!  While DH is out of the house, I'll do a general vacuum/dusting and get that out of the way.

@SuslorHappy Birthday to you!

@cruzn singleHappy Birthday to you as well!

@USN59-79wishing you and your DW a Happy Anniversary!

I'm pretty sure I'd like the drink of the day, and although I'd like to try the wine, it's out of my price range.  Because tomorrow is pizza night, tonight we'll be having leftovers of salmon and burgers along with garlic mashed potatoes and a small salad at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Thanks for the picture  of the  blankets.I am sure they are appreciated. I am amazed your rapid  needlework.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Wow! How great to receive birthday greetings from so many of you great people. ❤️. Thanks @ger_77, @ottahand7, @grapau27, @smitty34877, @rafinmd, @marshhawk, @JazzyV, @dfish, @StLouisCruisers, @puppycanducruise, @cat shepard, @kazu, @cruising sister.  I hope I didn’t forget anyone. 

it’s been a while since I posted. My DH and I got off the 45 day Hawaii and French Polynesia cruise just before Thanksgiving and I immediately went from airport to urgent care to ICU with a heart issue that has been resolved. Then we were supposed to join four friends on a Panama Canal cruise the beginning of this month but cancelled the day before we were to go FLL because my DH was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery for a small intestines blockage. Two friends cancelled with us and two went because they were already in Florida. 
The four of us have rebooked for March. 🤞 So we’ve been busy just recuperating and getting use to a new medication routine. 

@grapau27, thanks for the reminder about the Reagan assignation attempt. I live in DC and yes, it was my birthday but I was spearheading a Fire Safety and the Handicap conference that day at George Washington University right next door to GW hospital where he was taken. Never a dull minute in DC!  My DH’s mother also died that day 😿. A day to remember. Hope today is not as dramatic. 

Well wishes to all who are “under the weather”, celebrating and getting that walk in the park in. @rafinmd hope you continue to progress, neighbor. 

Susan

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, Suslor said:

Wow! How great to receive birthday greetings from so many of you great people. ❤️. Thanks @ger_77, @ottahand7, @grapau27, @smitty34877, @rafinmd, @marshhawk, @JazzyV, @dfish, @StLouisCruisers, @puppycanducruise, @cat shepard, @kazu, @cruising sister.  I hope I didn’t forget anyone. 

it’s been a while since I posted. My DH and I got off the 45 day Hawaii and French Polynesia cruise just before Thanksgiving and I immediately went from airport to urgent care to ICU with a heart issue that has been resolved. Then we were supposed to join four friends on a Panama Canal cruise the beginning of this month but cancelled the day before we were to go FLL because my DH was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery for a small intestines blockage. Two friends cancelled with us and two went because they were already in Florida. 
The four of us have rebooked for March. 🤞 So we’ve been busy just recuperating and getting use to a new medication routine. 

@grapau27, thanks for the reminder about the Reagan assignation attempt. I live in DC and yes, it was my birthday but I was spearheading a Fire Safety and the Handicap conference that day at George Washington University right next door to GW hospital where he was taken. Never a dull minute in DC!  My DH’s mother also died that day 😿. A day to remember. Hope today is not as dramatic. 

Well wishes to all who are “under the weather”, celebrating and getting that walk in the park in. @rafinmd hope you continue to progress, neighbor. 

Susan

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your heart issue immediately upon returning from that fabulous cruise!  Then your DH's intestinal blockage causing a cancelled cruise.  Good news that all is well now though and you can continue cruising.  Enjoy your birthday celebration today!🎂

• Like 16

Thank you to all contributors for another Fleet Report and Daily to brighten the morning.

It’s a crisp and sunny 4C this morning and promises to go up to 13C. (Sorry, it’s too early for me to translate to F). Any day without rain here, is a good day. 
A walk in the park is a great idea.

I have a great doctor and am fortunate that I don’t need to see her very often.

We’ve never been to Greece, but it’s on our ever growing retirement travel list!

Best wishes to all.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

We were only in Katakolon a short time after our tour to Olympia, but they had nice stores and good WiFi. I bought saffron there, enough to give as gifts to my lady friends. If we ever get back I think it’d be a lovely place to enjoy on its own, clean and friendly. 

Thanks to you and @StLouisCruisers for the info on Katakolon.  Very helpful.

45 minutes ago, Suslor said:

My DH and I got off the 45 day Hawaii and French Polynesia cruise just before Thanksgiving and I immediately went from airport to urgent care to ICU with a heart issue that has been resolved. Then we were supposed to join four friends on a Panama Canal cruise the beginning of this month but cancelled the day before we were to go FLL because my DH was admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery for a small intestines blockage. Two friends cancelled with us and two went because they were already in Florida. 

Oh my heavens 😬 You have certainly been through medical trials and tribulations 😞. It sounds like recuperating is going ok?  Hopefully you can go on that planned cruised 🤞 

• Like 16

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn;

I don't always feel I'm in control, mainly due to medical stuff. I'll salute doctors. Probably no walk in the park today for me. I like the quote. I'll pass on the meal and take the drink; yes to the wine if someone else pays.

I've been to Greece but not sure about Katakolon.

Today it's sunny. Starting off below freezing, but it's set to warm up. This AM I noticed some weird skin changes on the same leg I gave my shot yesterday, but not at the injection site. So I sent off a photo to the Rheumatologist to see if she felt it was related. I may go to BFF's DD DF's house this afternoon to help with more going through stuff.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting the FR/Daily today, sharing DD's tree, and the Katakolon photos. I like your rabbit knickknacks.

@Crazy For Cats Congrats on the cruise booking to celebrate a big birthday. 

@richwmn Sorry to hear about the port change.

@seagarsmoker Thanks for sharing your observations about your cruise and the photos.

@mamaofami Great news about your vision since the cataract surgery.

@cruising sister Good to hear the hand therapy is going ok. 

@RMLincoln I was glad to hear DH's vision was better and hope the pressure comes down.

@rafinmd Nice sunset.

@aliaschief Good to hear Sue is home, even if there were a few bumps along the way. Ha ha on the memes.

@Lady Hudson Cute bunnies.

@Suslor Sorry to hear about the heart issue after your cruise, but good that it's resolved. Oh no on DH's emergency surgery and hopefully he's doing well. Prayers for you both. Enjoy your day today!

Prayers for the Care List and props to all with something to Celebrate.

Be well everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Just a quick not that the Elegant Explorer is currently arriving in Key West:

https://www.keywestharborwebcam.com/

Roy

Thanks for the notification.  Boy, that is one slow-moving webcam!  I missed it when I clicked on it and got a 2 or 3 minute tour of the downtown buildings.  Too bad she is half blocked by the buildings there.  They need another webcam.  Does anyone know of another?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for the notification.  Boy, that is one slow-moving webcam!  I missed it when I clicked on it and got a 2 or 3 minute tour of the downtown buildings.  Too bad she is half blocked by the buildings there.  They need another webcam.  Does anyone know of another?

I don't know of any other webcams but was hoping she would dock at Mallory Square which is less blocked.  She's in Miami tomorrow (hoping for Terminal J and overnight in Nassau April 1 and 2.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a very cloudy and windy central Texas.  It was 59F when I got up and is now 61F.   The temperatures are supposed to reach 72F early this evening and not go below 70F until sometime tomorrow night.  We could get a little rain, but I'm not holding my breath about that.  At least, it wasn't cold when I ran my early morning errands.  That is one holdover from 2020 that I've kept.  I like going to the store when it is not crowded and there are no lines at the checkout.

During the last three years, I've learned that we are definitely in control.  A walk in the part would be nice, but I'll settle for my walk around our small community later if the weather cooperates.  We both like our PCP and the Physicians Assistant very much.  They both listen to what we tell them, but we've had a couple that seem to be in another place when we saw them.

I very much like the Albert Einstein quote.  If DH had not had an idea for a computer program that was outside the box, our lives would have been very different.  He was told many times by "experts" that his approach to a technical solution would not work by those who only knew the textbook method.  In a way, we are glad all the people who tried to compete with DH used the textbook method.  For the 32 years he had his company, no one was able to develop a program to compete with his.

The recipe for the ham roll ups looks good.  We'll pass on the drink, but would love to try the wine if the price was not so high.

We've been to Katakolon twice on BHBs.  I look for my pictures in a few minutes.

@richwmn  Rich, I'm sorry your day in Dakar was canceled, but glad the captain put the safety of the passengers and crew first.  After our tour to the Ile Goree, where we felt perfectly safe, we took the shuttle into Dakar.  We walked about two blocks toward the market, but turned back because we began to feel uneasy.  After that shuttle, the shuttles would take passengers into Dakar to give them a look at the town, but would not let them out to wander around.

@seagarsmoker  Thank you for your comments on your cruise last week. I was happy to read that the staff is beginning to enforce the rules.  I also enjoyed your pictures.

@RedneckBob  I'll also celebrate the doctors who saved your life.  The Daily wouldn't be the same without your humor.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm happy you are seeing better every day.

@kochleffel  Paul, I loved the dachshund meme.  Walking our two was a challenge at times as they'd "braid" their leashes around me if I wasn't careful.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, I'm glad the therapy on the hand is going well, but sorry the skin is still so sensitive.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad things are going well for you and your DH, and you are getting back to a more regular routine.

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for reminding us about "I am in control" when Reagan was shot.

@Suslor  Susan, I'm sorry both you and your DH have had major health challenges in the last few months.  I'm glad your heart issue is resolved, and that your DH is recovering well.  Enjoy planning for and taking your upcoming cruise.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the change on your leg is not serious and not related to the injection.

@rafinmd  Roy, thank you for the link to the see the Elegant Explorer.  She still looks good, but I wish her livery was still HAL blue.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a very cloudy and windy central Texas.  It was 59F when I got up and is now 61F.   The temperatures are supposed to reach 72F early this evening and not go below 70F until sometime tomorrow night.  We could get a little rain, but I'm not holding my breath about that.  At least, it wasn't cold when I ran my early morning errands.  That is one holdover from 2020 that I've kept.  I like going to the store when it is not crowded and there are no lines at the checkout.

During the last three years, I've learned that we are definitely in control.  A walk in the part would be nice, but I'll settle for my walk around our small community later if the weather cooperates.  We both like our PCP and the Physicians Assistant very much.  They both listen to what we tell them, but we've had a couple that seem to be in another place when we saw them.

I very much like the Albert Einstein quote.  If DH had not had an idea for a computer program that was outside the box, our lives would have been very different.  He was told many times by "experts" that his approach to a technical solution would not work by those who only knew the textbook method.  In a way, we are glad all the people who tried to compete with DH used the textbook method.  For the 32 years he had his company, no one was able to develop a program to compete with his.

The recipe for the ham roll ups looks good.  We'll pass on the drink, but would love to try the wine if the price was not so high.

We've been to Katakolon twice on BHBs.  I look for my pictures in a few minutes.

@richwmn  Rich, I'm sorry your day in Dakar was canceled, but glad the captain put the safety of the passengers and crew first.  After our tour to the Ile Goree, where we felt perfectly safe, we took the shuttle into Dakar.  We walked about two blocks toward the market, but turned back because we began to feel uneasy.  After that shuttle, the shuttles would take passengers into Dakar to give them a look at the town, but would not let them out to wander around.

@seagarsmoker  Thank you for your comments on your cruise last week. I was happy to read that the staff is beginning to enforce the rules.  I also enjoyed your pictures.

@RedneckBob  I'll also celebrate the doctors who saved your life.  The Daily wouldn't be the same without your humor.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm happy you are seeing better every day.

@kochleffel  Paul, I loved the dachshund meme.  Walking our two was a challenge at times as they'd "braid" their leashes around me if I wasn't careful.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, I'm glad the therapy on the hand is going well, but sorry the skin is still so sensitive.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad things are going well for you and your DH, and you are getting back to a more regular routine.

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for reminding us about "I am in control" when Reagan was shot.

@Suslor  Susan, I'm sorry both you and your DH have had major health challenges in the last few months.  I'm glad your heart issue is resolved, and that your DH is recovering well.  Enjoy planning for and taking your upcoming cruise.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope the change on your leg is not serious and not related to the injection.

@rafinmd  Roy, thank you for the link to the see the Elegant Explorer.  She still looks good, but I wish her livery was still HAL blue.

Lenda

Lenda, are you sure about my humor ?

Another interesting story, I think. Last Friday had to go to hospital where I had medical issues ten years ago. One of the nurses that did my prep remembered me from my stay ten years ago. I guess my “sick” humor left a mark at the hospital.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 8
  • Haha 7

Good morning all!

We're having another nice day here but it will dip back down to the mid 30's F for the lows for a few days before warming up again. Even the dreaded "frozen mix" in the forecast.  So I wait to put my seedlings out. 

This weather really reminds me that I'm not in control 😉  We've had some wonderful doctors over the years.  Sadly our last long-time doctor retired a year ago. We really hated to see her go.   I've seen her replacement only twice so far and like her -- fingers crossed she can live up to our last doctor.  I'd love to take a walk in the park today, but will have to settle for the treadmill.  DH will be working the game for the Mariners today as he will be for many days this month.

The quote is a good one, I'd prefer the Asparagus and Ham Rolls but do try to avoid ham because of the salt.  Will pass on the red wine and drink.  We've been to Olympia, photos to follow.

Happy Birthday Susan @Suslorand Mary Kay @cruzn single!

Happy Anniversary Ray and Sarah @USN59-79, enjoy your cruise!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersThank you for posting your DD's spring/Easter celebration tree.  Always a treat to see.  It reminds me that I need to change my St. Patrick's Day windsock to a spring windsock.

Susan @SuslorI'm sorry that both you and your DH have had medical issues since your cruise.  Glad though that the issues seem to be resolved.  Wishing you good health!

We were in Katakolon in the fall of 2019.  We went to Olympia and then a wine tasting.  

Olive trees

936478173_olivetrees.jpg.2fcf1cea6efc61bd9db97e3e3eab7cc7.jpg

877829006_Olympiasite.jpg.af4ce514b9da8d981bb6a399adb68b88.jpg

401083684_Olympiaruins.jpg.7399d9daaf4e6847b2290c4f594ff14e.jpg

76107940_Olympiacolumns.jpg.d6ce5553eb2aeef73bdc52e1a22a022d.jpg

Olympia.jpg.fcef447a492a5cdaec7c389e242e3baf.jpg

233209220_tumbledcolumns.jpg.335831d10e8e2016db0a18ae46c80b2b.jpg

Bowl where the flame sat

810786081_bowlwhereflamewaslit.jpg.bbab058209c05689d7903e1a1b348d95.jpg

Footprint of the 9-foot statue that had been on this pedestal

359486540_9-foottallstatuefootprint.thumb.jpg.02505b7746794c1294edcefd14cbea2a.jpg

entry.jpg.0c97078561459d9ff277dae1cde5b234.jpg

1425303361_tallcolumns.thumb.jpg.4082659a8791621e3c2eef7d17e3f715.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

We have been to  Katakolon twice.  In 2016 on the Prinsendam, we just stayed in town.  In 2019, on the Veendam, we took a local bus to Olympia and saw both the town and the site of the first Olympics.

A few pictures from Olympia.  It's hard to get pictures with out a lot of people in them.

DSC06648.thumb.JPG.e5ee7812f5a2c548f783974d3562b940.JPG

DSC06658.thumb.JPG.8b04c4d6100cc95e3e144c74a37e2b90.JPG

DSC06659.thumb.JPG.7b6e51c375e34767f32739ebd1751243.JPG

The big event field.  DH had not seen pictures of this and was a little disappointed.

DSC06662.thumb.JPG.fadf51da1e5bd534195d8c58d933b177.JPG

Pictures of the town Olympia.  Like Katakolon, the main street is full of shops.

DSC06678.thumb.JPG.a348a2e2d9f24439947be4ac8a488d1c.JPG

DSC06677.thumb.JPG.69f7e5508c181029d831a29c740a9e0d.JPG

We enjoyed Katakolon, the museum (which takes donations and has demonstrations if there are enough people) and sitting in one of the many cafes visiting with friends.

DSC06685.thumb.JPG.f1edd573c8026ceca2b66a48c5d89018.JPG

The main street in Katakolon

DSC08315.thumb.JPG.95d4a285d2d664715071bb5f745fe09b.JPG

DSC08316.thumb.JPG.c110652c8a4e074478d6447ba3299de9.JPG

DSC08317.thumb.JPG.c7ad83bb913cbcf412862801285a1f7d.JPG

The waterfront and cafes.  

DSC06686.thumb.JPG.4fa6fa22604eb64048b3765e0d52ad2a.JPG

DSC06687.thumb.JPG.07ed1e3faf083de5be048a0b1a0feccc.JPG

An Olympic torch from the 2004 summer games in Athens.  The owner of one of the jewelry stores carried the torch during the relay before the Olympics.

DSC08324.thumb.JPG.bfaa21056d3b03e0d2dd9da1a312a675.JPG

We met the owner when we purchased a Greek key necklace at his store.  We'd looked in very Greek port for the necklace, and DH found one like I wanted when he went back into town in 2016.  The owner let DH take the necklace back to the Prinsendam for me to see without DH having to pay for it.  We went back to the store and settled on a price.  His mother escorted me to the one ATM in town to get the money to pay for the necklace.  You don't find many people that are that trusting, but then he knew where to find us.

Finally, the waterfront as the Veendam sailed for her next port.

DSC06691.thumb.JPG.fb0920e6a1b991d3f371baf3d8aa92a1.JPG

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

For those who have Katakolon on an upcoming cruise, but who don't want to take a ship tour to Olympia, I thought this might be of interest.

The locals have a regular big bus that they sell tickets to Olympia and back.  You can’t miss them as they outside the first group of buildings across from the dock.  In 2019 it was €8-10 round trip.  My advice is to check with several “sellers” as they have different prices for the same bus.  You need to be off the ship early.  Our bus left at 9 am and they picked us up in Olympia at noon.  This does not include the entrance fee to the museum or the grounds.  This beat the ship tour prices and the €90 to rent a car.  The two hours in Olympia was plenty of time for us

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks  all!   Most definitely not in control, lol!  I am very thankful for my doctor of more than 25 years!   We’ve visited Katakalon several times, strongly recommend Olympia if you haven’t been.  And if you have there’s a nearby lovely beach under ten minutes away. Not the one by the town. Also one of the local restaurants is very good for lunch, I’ve attached a photo. It is on the end of town farthest from the dock.  

@USN59-79 Congratulations to you both your 60 th!  Wow! 
@cruzn single and @Suslor happy birthday!  Sorry to hear of your health issues, 

6012100B-7099-4619-AC4A-16FDA683E8CA.jpeg

61C9AA7F-3D45-4D32-8C72-8C3CABBFACC8.jpeg

90131CD4-0A80-4485-8680-52EE5B27971A.jpeg

D38FF7B7-A60F-415A-B6A6-D4297AAB9C91.jpeg

7766A17A-1FF1-4925-9421-77E1730C91AC.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Two new eaglets at the Hays Eagle Nest

1332C996-EC75-4F3F-9E1D-E01FBA584A85.thumb.png.17ecf5db39cde8c5799605baee4fecfc.png

053347AF-356B-4252-B1E2-1059CA4FA855.thumb.png.7ad02689649a0a782f34304a21111cb1.png

Thank you for letting us know about the eaglets.  I’ve become obsessed with them.  Dad brought a large fish to the nest this morning and M & D took turns feeding their babies.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, if it’s not too much trouble, could you let me know when Punta Arenas, Chile was the port of the day.  We are there for 12 hours and I don’t know the best way to spend our time.  The wonderful pictures posted by the Dailyites always inspire me.

@seagarsmokerThank you for your “trip report”.  I am extremely happy to hear that the rules, particularly that the Seaview Pool is adults only, are being enforced.

I’m off to take a walk in the park, 45 and sunny.  Hope everyone is having the best day possible.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2