Oasis Class vs. Quantum Class - Which do you Prefer?

I'm planning on booking a cruise with my family and currently debating between a quantum class ship (Odyssey of the Seas) and an oasis class ship (Symphony of the Seas). We are leaning Odyssey as there is some concern that an oasis class ship has too many people and is going to feel overcrowded. We went on Norwegian Escape earlier this year, which is a 4200 capacity ship, so not like we aren't used to a ship with a lot of people. The first cruise we did was Rhapsody of the Seas. 

I really like the concept of the neighborhoods with the oasis class ships and I have heard that it really helps spread the crowds around so it never really feels too crowded. However, the technology and some unique activities on the quantum ships like the skydiving simulator and the north star are appealing to me. One thing I really like about both classes is the variety of complimentary food options - seems like they both are very good in that regard and to be much more than any Norwegian ships.

I know it's all personal preference and I'm sure I will have a great time on either one, but just curious what people who have been on them before like better.

Edited by MysteryKnight

Even though Oasis class can hold more it handles the crowds better.  While we enjoyed both, prefer Oasis, although do love 270.  I tell people try both if you can and make your own decision, but if you can only do 1 go with itinerary.

• Like 2

We have not been on all ships, not by far, but Symphony is our favorite ship.

Given identical itineraries, or if you are sailing more for the ship than the ports, we'd pick an Oasis class over a Quantum (or Quantum Ultra) any day.

I liked Odyssey just fine, my wife was more like "meh",

Beyond that, I'd let the itinerary make your decision for you. For instance, my wife is perfectly happy to be going on Odyssey again in Fall '24 for the Holy Land cruise.

Don't let passenger counts scare you off. Sure, there's more passengers, but there's also just that much more space, including public space, in which they all spread out. I can't say I've every really felt any more crowded on an Oasis class than any other ship we've been on.  

• Like 1

Oasis class ships are geared more towards families while Quantum class ships are geared more towards adults. My previous sentence is an over simplification, but Oasis class ships definitely have a different feel than Quantum class ships. Quantum class ships remind me of Celebrity ships. 

• Like 2

We've sailed Oasis class 13 times, every one except Wonder. We've sailed Anthem once, and leave this month on Quantum for an Alaska roundtrip from Seattle.

We love the layout of Oasis class over Quantum and prefer the Oasis class entertainment and shows. Still, we're really looking forward to this upcoming cruise!

Barb

• Like 1

I've recently sailed on both ships you're considering, and for a first sailing I'd choose Symphony over Odyssey to start.  Central Park on Oasis class ships is a big draw.  Another major difference is the Aqua Theater and shows on Oasis class.  I was looking forward to experiencing the 270 venue on Odyssey, but it didn't live up to what I expected for a number of reasons:

• On an Oasis class ship I start my mornings with a light breakfast in Park Cafe at an outdoor table, enjoying the fresh air, light breeze and bird soundtrack.  There's a rotating variety of breakfast sandwiches as well as the usual breakfast staples.  On Odyssey, the closest equivalent is Cafe@270 which seemed to open just on time and never be ready.  There wasn't a rotation of breakfast sandwiches so it got boring quickly.  While it's not outdoors, the view of the ship's wake would have been a relaxing sight, however the neon lighting inside 270 cause a great deal of reflection on the windows and distracted from the view.
  • 270 as an entertainment venue gets a great deal of hype.  There's even a 45 minute presentation explaining all the cool technology.  Oh... I should say cool and EXPENSIVE technology-- $37 million!  I'm left feeling that RCI makes this presentation because they are still trying to convince themselves that it was worth spending all that money for this technology.  In particular those 6 robot arms that are able to maneuver flat screen displays were tremendously expensive.  Their "WOW Factor" is the ability for their movement to be precise down to a fraction of a millimeter, and the partial geek in me appreciates the intense programming that goes into coordinating their movements.  But that's the extent of the Wow because the six robots are on a singular plane limiting their movement, otherwise the arms would crash into each other.  So the end visual effects provided to the audience is rather limited.  There's a bigger Wow in seeing cars built on an assembly line using this robotic technology.  The Book, as a show was entertaining, but it was hard to figure out where the best seat in the house was.  I looked.  After I had seen a performance from the very side, sitting at the bar, I came back early one morning to find the perfect seat, center stage.  I tried several locations, but never found what I thought was a good one where something in the performance wasn't blocked.  Those books create a number of bad seats as they block the view.
  • On Odyssey they've been efficient by locating Cafe Promenade next to Sorrento's so they could justify removing just about all seating from the Cafe.  The coffee house feel is gone as it's the size of the cupcake shop on a Freedom class ship.  
  • If you're a fan of Izumi Hibachi/Teppanyaki --or whatever name you assign to the onboard version of Benihana-- you'll love Odyssey as the room is HUGE compared to Oasis class ships.  The capacity is greatly increased meaning less passengers are met with the "Sorry, we're sold out for your entire cruise."  Plus, every table has beautiful views of the ocean outside through larger windows.
  • Giovanni's Table on Odyssey doesn't have many great views outside as the few windows' views are obstructed by lifeboats.  Both Chops and Giovanni's/Jamie's on Oasis Class are located in Central Park with a combination of indoor and outdoor seating.  Lunch outdoors in the shade while enjoying the views of Central Park can't be beat.  Whereas my table for lunch in Giovanni's Table on Odyssey had me seated facing the EXPENSIVE (yes they noted a tremendous cost for their pizza oven but I can remember the number) pizza oven.  In the distance I could look right into the oven.  I think everyone by now has seen those tv monitors that display a flickering fire on logs as you hear the crackle of the wood, simulating a fireplace.  Well that's all I could think of as I chuckled, staring into that pizza oven to see simulated flames at the back.  
  • Despite the number of dings I've presented against Odyssey, I know I want to sail on her again.  The ship presents the familiarity of those elements I like about sailing RCI with a twist.  It's different for a change.  And the artwork throughout is interesting and eye catching.
  • I almost forgot one of the hugely positive things about Odyssey:  the redesign of Junior Suite cabins.  Gone are the walk-in closets in favor of a half bath with sink and toilet.  This allows for both a tub/shower and amble size walk-in shower in the bath, rather than a toilet.
  • Thanks 1

We definately prefer the Oasis Class ships.  I enjoy the ships layout with the large promenade.  The ship seems roomier IMO.  The service on the Oasis class ships IMO much better.  We love the Crown Loft suites on the Oasis class ships with the lounge and costal kitchen near by.  Felt that the Quantum class was much less appealing.  Our favorite Oasis class ship is the Harmony of the Seas- but love them all.  Will be trying the Icon next year!  Hope we like it!

We will be on the Oasis again in August and truly look foward to that cruise!

We love both classes, for different reasons.  I don't think you would go wrong with either.

We have cruises currently booked on both classes.

Edited by barbeyg

Overall, I like the Oasis class better, mainly due to the aqua shows, but as a cigar smoker, give me the Quantum class with the bus stop that hangs over the side, and no snide looks from non smokers.

Symphony is definetely a great ship, number 3 after Oasis and Wonder in my opinion.

But here are some great features of Odyssey 

Music Hall is a great venue for entertainment, the sheer size blows the Oasis versions away.

Playmakers is huge and climate controlled. Lots of huge screens to watch sports

Giovanni's Wine Bar is great for people watching and reasonable snacks

The pub serves snacks as well

Hibachi has great views, mainly before it gets dark. Rare in winter season, but probably great in Alaska

El Loco Fresh is an improvement over the Oasis ships

Well done Windjammer, on par with Wonder

iFly is a must, so much fun. Pay sessions are cheaper than land based ones

Bumper cars are a blast as well

Outdoor seating on Promenade

Cafe270 is a Park Cafe on steroids. Great seating in 270 as well. Watch them rehearse for The Book

Solarium is nicely done, on par with Wonder

Great Scooner bar, less distraction than the Oasis ships

Sorrentos seems bigger than Oasis ships

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Music Hall is a great venue for entertainment, the sheer size blows the Oasis versions away.

For me this is one of the biggest selling features of Odyssey and all Quantum class ships.  Music Hall blows away the equivalent venue on Oasis...  

The downside is no Ice show.

• Like 1

I really liked the Solarium design on Ovation with the tiered pools, much nicer than the Oasis Class IMO. I would give Oasis Class the edge on pretty much everything else. Of course I would prefer a Radiance, Vision or Sovereign Class ship over either of them, but that's just me being a traditionalist.

• Like 1

Over 50 nights on Oasis Class ships.  Did 17 nights on Quantum and Ovation last year.  Absolutely hate Quantum Class, ship feels very crowded, Esplanade is a big disappointment compared to the Promenade, shows are blah at best, MDR is claustrophobic. Read above how nice 270 and Schooner Bar is, I completely disagree as I found the seating in 270 awful and schooner bar way to small. As a whole the ship feels very small. Never again for us. On the positive the specialty restaurants were very good and Vintages became our go to spot.  Ovation had the best pizza of any ship we have been on. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Oasis class ships are geared more towards families while Quantum class ships are geared more towards adults. My previous sentence is an over simplification, but Oasis class ships definitely have a different feel than Quantum class ships. Quantum class ships remind me of Celebrity ships. 

Never been on Quantum class, but with bumper cars and the activities in that area, I thought this was a

class designed for families as well?   

I believe the design is similar to one of the Celebrity classes?   Maybe that is why you have that feeling?