CCL re-organizes, new role for Swartz, breakup of HAL Group

Coral

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Would someone please create a diagram?  I am a visual learner.  It looks like Padgett is still head of Princess.  

That is how I interpret it also.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Would someone please create a diagram?  I am a visual learner.  It looks like Padgett is still head of Princess.  

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

That is how I interpret it also.

Padgett remains head of Princess and now reports directly to Carnival Corp CEO Weinstein.

Swartz remains a direct report to the CEO with a completely new portfolio. Her new title, Executive Vice President I believe puts her a step above the other vice presidents. Not sure if this means she's the chosen one for CEO sometime in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest ldtr
17 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Padgett remains head of Princess and now reports directly to Carnival Corp CEO Weinstein.

Swartz remains a direct report to the CEO with a completely new portfolio. Her new title, Executive Vice President I believe puts her a step above the other vice presidents. Not sure if this means she's the chosen one for CEO sometime in the future.

Based upon the title (EVP strategic operations) and responsibility it could be that, or it could be the equivalent of head of special projects.   New responsibilities primarily administrative and not operational or even financial. Not a good sign for her position.  Certainly appears to be getting shuffled off to the side. 

Her new responsibilities include Alaska Land Operations,  Oversight of Global ports and destination development, Communications, and Government Affairs.

Appears that they are putting more decision authority in the hands of the brands.  Should see more definition in the unique appeals of each brand going forward.  That would fit with some of the changes with HAL into the focus on long and unique routes.

Edited by ldtr

9 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Look at the timing of the two articles.  The one you referenced is from Jan 2023, the one I referenced is from June 1, 2023.

What you posted was right back in Jan., but not according to the June article. Now she does not have any of the brands reporting to her.

Carnival Corp.'s global executive leadership now consists of Weinstein's five corporate direct reports — CFO David Bernstein, Chief Maritime Officer Bill Burke, Chief HR Officer Bettina Deynes, Miguez and Swartz, along with the six operating unit presidents — Duffy, Padgett, Antorcha, Ludlow, Zanetti and Eichhorn.

Thanks for catching that.  I did not check the date and had followed the other link up above.  It almost read like more details on Jan regarding the re-org.  Good catch.

Yes, I get it from the original article.  I guess time will tell.  Seems like she has been given some things that seem to suit her and her background.  

I like the concept of attempting to make each brand line more nimble and in control of their operations as was outlined.  I just hope they are able to execute across the brands and get that stock value back up.

33 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't see JS shuffled to the side.  The second article has more detail around her situation.  It also states this, which I admit seems a bit odd in that some brand presidents report to her, but also report to Weinstein per the first article.

I deleted the 2nd link. I had done a search on Jan (and news) and came up with another Seatrade inside article but then realized it was from January 2023. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for catching that.  I did not check the date and had followed the other link up above.  It almost read like more details on Jan regarding the re-org.  Good catch.

Yes, I get it from the original article.  I guess time will tell.  Seems like she has been given some things that seem to suit her and her background.  

I like the concept of attempting to make each brand line more nimble and in control of their operations as was outlined.  I just hope they are able to execute across the brands and get that stock value back up.

Sorry - I thought I quickly deleted the link.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I could be all wrong, but I sense the general consensus (disappointment) is that Padgett is here to stay.  

I actually want Jan gone. I saw more decline under her leadership.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I could be all wrong, but I sense the general consensus (disappointment) is that Padgett is here to stay.  

I think Padgett being promoted to president of princess must have been part of his inducement to leave Disney.

Maybe Arnold Donald will post here (under a fake name) and confirm...

• Haha 2

Where I really see the potential for this change to benefit any one division is within Holland America / Seabourn as it should give their executive team a little more latitude to focus the brands on what they have historically done so well - destinations and service. There are already signs of improvement with HAL bringing back more guest lecturers, focusing on longer, unique itinerary options, etc.  With two new expedition ships entering the fleet and one of their smaller ships leaving the fleet, Seabourn seem poised to leverage their assets better within the luxury segment without overly diluting the brand.  There is still a long ways to go

Princess seems to be focused, and this really goes back to the launch of the Grand class but even more so with the launch of the Sphere class, on attempting to capture a multigenerational family audience that value time together.   Enough dedicated space to keep kiddos occupied when the parental units need some alone time, but eschewing all the gizmos gadgets and water parks that have taken over competing lines like RCCL/NCL newbuilds.  They are not being, nor have they been for some time, positioned as an ultra-premium/luxury small/mid sized ship company. They were one of the first lines to build a ship over a 100K GRT for heck’s sake, and when launched in 1998 Grand Princess was the largest, most expensive cruise ship ever built!  Contemporary, slightly upmarket, comfortable large ships with ample choice of dining and entertainment.  Something slightly more refined than Carnival but more family friendly and energetic than Holland. In short - the sweet spot. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 5

For those who are occasionally disappointed by cruise line website problems, medallions, etc., notice that IT isn't mentioned as a top level management position.  Despite being a critical function that impacts every aspect of the business operation, corporate executives don't understand it and don't want to deal with it - leaving it to lower-level, underfunded and often ignored managers.

• Like 4

Guest ldtr
52 minutes ago, mnocket said:

For those who are occasionally disappointed by cruise line website problems, medallions, etc., notice that IT isn't mentioned as a top level management position.  Despite being a critical function that impacts every aspect of the business operation, corporate executives don't understand it and don't want to deal with it - leaving it to lower-level, underfunded and often ignored managers.

IT still remains a shared service between several of the brands

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

IT still remains a shared service between several of the brands

HR is also a shared service between brands.  Chief HR Officer Bettina Deynes is a direct report to Weinstein.  My point remains that despite being every bit as critical to business operations as HR for example, IT is still not recognized as such in the organization.

@mnocket many years ago Carnival Corp outsourced its IT and website development to a third party contractor, assumed to be a low bidder, hence the contract award. The problems we as consumers deal with are a direct result of this.  While some functions may be in-house I believe the vast majority of the work is still being outsourced. 

17 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I think Padgett being promoted to president of princess must have been part of his inducement to leave Disney.

Maybe Arnold Donald will post here (under a fake name) and confirm...

Padgett was a mistake. When they got him from Disney they should have gotten Goofy instead.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6