Do the books have words? Independence of the Seas

Ok. I admit it. I'm a library nerd. Going on a cruise to read in the library sounds like a sweet vacation to me. Does anyone know if the library onboard Independence of the Seas has actual books to borrow and return while sailing? Not just those decorative books you can buy at HomeGoods, but books with words. 

A lot of the English books are the sort of thing that one might read in an English class- The Great Gatsby, Tale of Two Cities etc. You might be able to find something more contemporary, but I would bring several books on my reader just in case!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, angiekozikowski said:

Ok. I admit it. I'm a library nerd. Going on a cruise to read in the library sounds like a sweet vacation to me. Does anyone know if the library onboard Independence of the Seas has actual books to borrow and return while sailing? Not just those decorative books you can buy at HomeGoods, but books with words. 

Most ships have some small section of cruisers turned in paperbacks. I know I turn in all I bring and read. I agree the selection might be slim so I always bring a overabundance of books. I have a fear of running out of books. I read too, though not necessarily in the library.  I read where I can see the ocean when I can. Or the aft. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Most ships have some small section of cruisers turned in paperbacks. I know I turn in all I bring and read. I agree the selection might be slim so I always bring a overabundance of books. I have a fear of running out of books. I read too, though not necessarily in the library.  I read where I can see the ocean when I can. Or the aft. 

Instead of FOMO. Fear of missing out. It’s FOROOB Fear of running out of books!   

I must admit, i have it too and brought 7 books with me on my first cruise.  When I switched to Kindle, I had a panic attack at 2am, in the hotel the day of the cruise.  Woke out of a dead sleep thinking I forgot my kindle.  I had to get out of bed, rummage through all of the bags to make sure it was there.  IT WAS!!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I read too, though not necessarily in the library.  I read where I can see the ocean when I can. Or the aft. 

Over the years, I never brought along my own books (took up premium space in the suitcase) and relied on those already in the ship's library. Slim pickings at best. Now, I have books on my iPad... subjects I want. Very convenient to carry my personal library all over the ship and find a comfortable location.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mandaleigh said:

I must admit, i have it too and brought 7 books with me on my first cruise.  When I switched to Kindle, I had a panic attack at 2am, in the hotel the day of the cruise.  Woke out of a dead sleep thinking I forgot my kindle.  I had to get out of bed, rummage through all of the bags to make sure it was there.  IT WAS!!!!

I tried reading books from a tablet. I just hate curling up in bed with a device. I want a real book. I tried but went back to real books. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, angiekozikowski said:

I will be on the Indy on the 11th and can look for you and take pictures if needed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, angiekozikowski said:

Most if not all will have words

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mandaleigh said:

I am a librarian, and I am going to use his acronym the next time I need to sign up for an account and create a username 🤣.

As far as whether or not the books in the library have words... I've always seen "real" books in the ship libraries in a multitude of languages, but I can also recommend some wordless graphic novels that are quite good as well. Haha! 😆

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I tried reading books from a tablet. I just hate curling up in bed with a device. I want a real book. I tried but went back to real books. 

You should try an e-reader. Paperwhite Kindle or an e-reader Nook. They are just about the size of a paperback, you can adjust the text size, and there is no screen glare. I resisted for a long time, but I love my e-reader and can have a whole library in something that will fit in my purse. 😊

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Coralc said:

You should try an e-reader. Paperwhite Kindle or an e-reader Nook. They are just about the size of a paperback, you can adjust the text size, and there is no screen glare. I resisted for a long time, but I love my e-reader and can have a whole library in something that will fit in my purse. 😊

I went the Amazon Fire 10 HD route (can do the 8 if you want smaller). Downloaded the API's to allow android apps from google play, which removes the tablets Amazon limiting restrictions. I mainly read from a kindle subscription, but can also download from other sources (libraries, etc). 

15 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I tried reading books from a tablet. I just hate curling up in bed with a device. I want a real book. I tried but went back to real books

It took me a little while, but I got used to it.

• Like 1

Books are extremely limited in the so called libraries now...for two reasons.

1. Kindles

2. Pax taking them to use as Chair Hog "props".  

Won't be long, IMHO, and there will not be a library on a ship any longer.  Some library spaces even being used as an office for the LA.  Like that gives a quiet atmosphere!  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I use this cover so it seems more like a book

20230804_113019.jpg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, mandaleigh said:

Ha, I've done that.  And I get VOOM so if I need to download something new I can hotspot my phone!  

Hello,

The original library has been converted to cabins.

The current library used to be the cigar lounge - does it still smell?

If you want a proper library then head for QM2:QM2TheLibrary.thumb.JPG.d938ea3168b48f21534a4d8fdc21207f.JPG

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

I am packing 3 paperbacks and my iPad with many new books loaded. I have trouble reading on my iPad on the outside decks, sometimes. So, I bring the paperbacks for my outside reading! Don’t want to run out of reading material! In general, I haven’t had much luck with liking the choices in the libraries on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• 1 month later...