The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 9th, 2023

richwmn

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Cape Town twice.  The first time was in 2000 on P&O Oriana world cruise.  A friend,  who we met on the ship, asked us to join them on a private tour.  The tour included a city driving tour, Table Mountain, Stellenbosch, a drive along the coast before returning to the ship to freshen up.  Our guide picked us up later and took us to the big shopping center in the Victoria and Alfred waterfront area where we were on our own for dinner.  After almost 3 months on a British ship, we wanted an American hamburger, so we went to the Hard Rock Cafe.

Views of Table Mountain and town from the ship.

785048906_P32006302.thumb.JPG.d5d38d9375abc01b69333399938fde0c.JPG

P3200633.thumb.JPG.fc9994e3a88b68c15966fd70f12be571.JPG

P3210634.thumb.JPG.b8e05de2224207d0d5679ac819f5fe9a.JPG

P3210635.thumb.JPG.982138d0a1f83f1bee6b9e72a81287a0.JPG

We drove by this statue.

P3210641.thumb.JPG.e3d14186c153dfcb083e17e1379d7d2a.JPG

Our first stop was Stellenbosch, a town outside Cape Town know for its wines.

P3210648.thumb.JPG.1dbc1314753863dcfc520fe4960e0b8d.JPG

P3210649.thumb.JPG.0c9683cdc16e5422ac9d9790c62fdd38.JPG

After our tour of a winery, each couple was given a wicker picnic basket with enough food for a small army, and each couple purchased a bottle of wine.  We had a lovely lunch in a park like setting.

P3210654.thumb.JPG.33e772afbf77df9bc05e95c08f95d26f.JPG

P3210655.thumb.JPG.33da3df91fe0811c07c3ee091bfba0b2.JPG

Our drive along the coast.

P3210665.thumb.JPG.df1bd993874433468dd153cadd144a23.JPGP3210669.thumb.JPG.d85bdd8147bba900c2c342b40b57694b.JPG

The last stop of the afternoon was Table Mountain.  Here are some views from the top.

P3210671.thumb.JPG.c96fe7c53a62aa784c1083d167131308.JPG

P3210674.thumb.JPG.3645de57a217691a7707c196a9344fac.JPG

One of the cable cars on display

P3210687.thumb.JPG.c2b35b602dab1258d92aee81ab9bb70f.JPG

I'll be back with pictures of our second visit.

Lenda

Amazing photos.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is currently 66°F and sunny here.

The hydrangea's I brought from my late mam and dad's house 11 years ago and created a memorial garden at ours are still flowering nicely.

3 interesting days.

I think we all want to love and be loved.

Today's food sounds nice.

Never been to South Africa.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG_20230809_111553.jpg

Graham

Those hydrangeas are gorgeous! Though mine have been blossoming much longer this year, too - they do not compare to yours. And yours are a living memory. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Graham

Those hydrangeas are gorgeous! Though mine have been blossoming much longer this year, too - they do not compare to yours. And yours are a living memory. 

Thank you @cat shepard.

My late dad gave Pauline this white hydrangea 12 years ago  he specially grew.

The flowers are enormous and need a support table underneath.

IMG_20230809_135808.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  My computer says it's 70 and partly sunny and earlier it said expect high winds today.  I am never sure that my computer knows where it is. I didnt turn on the tv this morning to verify any weather, because it's summer in Atlanta and it will do what it wants to do.  We have become more like the tropics, with afternoon thunder showers around 4 pm every day.  Problem is that there is no beach here.  I miss the ocean.

I was supposed to get my last training last night  before I start the California campaign, and I called my boss at the time I was supposed to, and I got no answer.  I tried again, and he answered he is having a family emergency health crisis, I told him we would try today if things looked better.  He said no, I will call you later...Then I got a text from the big boss, that it really was a crisis, and I may or may not get trained on the last part today either.  So, I can either pick up hours on the other job, or actually have a day off.  I am not angry, family always should come first.  And jobs, well for me, they just happen. So I may just take a day off...

I am a little off the base with today's days, so excuse me while I share some things I love

no polka, polka dots!

I never did the Polka, but I am a huge fan of Yayoi kusama's infinity mirrors with polka dots...

Sept-5-2017-post.jpg

kusama_aftermath_high_courtesy.jpg

She is a very interesting artist and these pictures (not mine) demonstrate her art.  You walk into a dark mirrored room, one or two people at a time, and then the lights are turned on, The pumpkins above are made of glass.  No touching!  You are allowed two minutes. After two minutes, the lights go off, they open the doors, and you walk back out, not through.  At the exhibit we saw, the non mirrored rooms were splattered with polka dots.  Her outfits she wears are polka dots, and she lives in a mental institute, but can come and go as she pleases.  She just feels safer there. 

I am not a big fan of modern artists, but this is jaw dropping, and for my gardening friends, you should check out Andrew Goldworthy's art 

land-art-andy-goldsworthy-810.jpg

7393436_orig.jpg

art+119.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Good morning,

Lots of rain this morning and Molly won’t go outside. I wii have to watch her closely so she won’t do ger business in the house!

I talked to my DB and DSIL yesterday. Head doctor got back Monday and multiple tests all show the heart working fine. They are puzzled as to why she coded after being off ECMO for 24 hours. The only thing they can think of is possibly the cannulas they left in longer than they normally do. They plan on trying again today or tomorrow and they will take cannulas out right away. My niece and her husband have been working with the medical team and social workers on possible scenarios and what they will do in each case. They want quality of life for Murphy first and foremost. My heart just aches for this young couple and the long 6 weeks they have been dealing with this. 

I have been working on my 94 day cruise and my mind is spinning. I discovered I had two excursions booked for the same port. I listened to a presentation from my TA yesterday on excursions they are offering and signed up for a few. I am stopping for a bit and organize what I have before booking anything else. I do not need to book in every port but have a few must haves such as snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef. 

I have one cruise on the books which is the Amazon in 2025. I am not sure if I want to do it. I would like to book the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings in 2025 if they offer it. I would appreciate any advice on either one. 

Prayers to all and have a good day. It looks like rain for several more hours. I will need to stand outside with an umbrella and force this little dog out. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

First, from last night:  

@marshhawk Annie your lung report is AMAZING!  So happy for you!  Love your dancing cats, we’re all dancing with you!  

@cruzn single Mary Kay, trying to quote from your late post last night… 

“Just one mention - @RMLincoln, your picture of enchiladas brought back so many happy memories of the 9 wonderful years that we lived in Las Cruces.  From some of what you have said, did you live in Ruidoso, as that seems to relate to what you write.  Like you, I miss NM, but will be content with what life has handed me.”  
We lived in the north mountains, the Jemez mountains west of Los Alamos and Santa Fe, due north of Albuquerque, 8700 feet. Both my boys (step sons from first marriage) went to NMSU Las Cruces, great school and community but way too hot for me!  I miss the mountain house that DH/we built, my fire service family, my community that I was very active in. But my life is so filled with blessings that I have no room to regret what I don’t have!  I’m happy we moved, let go of what was to make room for what can be. I’m excited about the next chapter too. And Saturday we’ll drive north to NY, see family- cousins, sister, niece, plus DH’s granddaughters and their guys who have become my family too. It’ll be great to move closer to them and live in a place where we can each feel supported but have our independence too!  I am so blessed!  I hope you feel that too along with the tugs and tears!  I’m cheering for you!  

Book Day!  Too many books, and never enough! 🤣

I think we all want to be loved the way we are!  I guess that means being understood or at least accepted. That’s how I try to love others. 

Flowers, oh my!  Nancy and Graham your flowers brighten the day for all of us!  My mother had hydrangeas in Brooklyn when I was growing up. They were her mother’s too. Sweet spot in my heart!  

Chicken Caprese is a great combination for us. I make a version of it. Nice to read other twists on it. Thanks Tina!  

Not been to South Africa. 

Wonderful photos of Greenland and Iceland, thank you @dfish  

Learning about the ports on our next itinerary, coming fast, Sept 4! Yikes!  Boston, Portland, Halifax, Cornerbrook, Quebec City, Saygueney, Charlottetown. Have to learn fast!  And NCL is complex… but our expectations are minimal. No packages, maybe I’ll try to reserve a special show but only being Gold level we may not get in behind the earlier reservers platinum and up. That happened on HAL when we were only 3stars on Tales of the South Pacific when the more elite pax snagged tables in the “open dining” for the duration of the cruise, so we ate very late, like 9:00 most nights or buffet. But we were fed and we will be too this time!  There were a ton of world cruisers on that cruise which was prelude to the WC. We were chopped liver. But for us it was a cruise if a lifetime!  

Need to keep moving forward. We have a home nurse wellness visit today, I have to finish clearing off the table!  Too many stacks have piled up.
Blessings all, good health, happiness and the time to enjoy it!  m—

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@DeeniEncinitas Denise my dear sis are you still home in Maui? I read about the devastating fires in Lahaina town and saw a news clip where people had to jump in the ocean to escape the fire. How scary and sad!! I hope you and David are safe. 

Good grief, Denise! Hope you, David and your home are safe!

• Like 18

Happy Hump Day to All!  I used to be an avid reader; always carried a book with me no matter where I went.  I started doing that when I began venturing out as a single person - way back in the '80's.  When I finally got an iPad, it switched to books on it.  Unfortunately, I left my first one on a plane coming back to the States from China.  Didn't buy another one for a couple of years but now I do read off of it.  Presently, it is A Path Between the Seas to get ready for my cruise next year.  Great collection of days! And I like the quote and meal, pass on the drink, think about the wine.  I have never been to South Africa/Cape Town.  My first sojourn overseas to Riyadh, KSA to work, my roommate was from Cape Town.  I knew nothing about it before and she was a wealth of information.  I want to go to Table Mountain!!  Cheers to Mr. Diesel!!

Boy, I was tired yesterday.  I can't/don't nap so I basically chilled all day.  I wasn't getting sub opportunities from the large school district so after trying to figure out what the problem could be and contacting the sub office, all is well.  I picked up a 6th grade class for this Thursday and Friday and I am absolutely terrified!!  I don't know the school or teacher so I am really stepping out of my comfort zone.  I know I can do it but still.  

We got a nice rain yesterday afternoon and the big heat is not apparent.  High today only around 105F but it is the humidity - presently at 55%!! Watching and worrying about the fires on the big island.  I hope everyone is ok; I am going to Hawaii in Nov.

Thoughts for all on the care list and cheers to those celebrating!  Oh, those hydrangeas are absolutely beautiful!!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

We had a nice walk though it was  pretty cloudy and cool today. We were surprised to see the huge church has the steps removed and it looks like they will have a lot of work rebuilding them. So we walked up the steep street to the right of it. Then over to the Botanical Garden. They still had flowers but no spring ones like the tulips we saw in June 2022. 

The troll everyone was taking photos with and me in the Akureyri heart. DH is not the finest photographer around and he only takes one!

IMG_3768.thumb.jpeg.d0142cf54499355c9c893079e398c12a.jpeg

IMG_3773.thumb.jpeg.ad07e171053e0465c462416056bdf302.jpeg

IMG_3775.thumb.jpeg.a95a982e995cdb98e9a83ad88e0533a7.jpeg

IMG_3803.thumb.jpeg.6635fb26562e72d8be1622a35b1ab120.jpeg

IMG_3811.thumb.jpeg.64292769aad51bc380a793ee97f13429.jpeg

IMG_3816.thumb.jpeg.00517c7882b93b2bbcda4a3d92413102.jpeg

IMG_3818.thumb.jpeg.3bb9bf8655eaa15d32fc2b6009eff8af.jpeg

IMG_3821.thumb.jpeg.8a9921d64b12410cbfd1a8b0f4d715f8.jpeg

IMG_3823.thumb.jpeg.cf5905b17a696cf5be3202aa4ccd3612.jpeg

IMG_3828.thumb.jpeg.3081cee43d0224e1cfdddc1a9c77340b.jpeg

IMG_3830.thumb.jpeg.ac70b179ebb4e41cd1af9e47563739b7.jpeg

A trash can on a light pole with a knitted cover for it. This was the cutest one we saw. 

IMG_3833.thumb.jpeg.da948b2d9b0d89535b9f9350b897fd2f.jpeg

We came back to the ship and had lunch and wouldn’t you know it. The sun peeped out a few times!

The three ships here today are Zaandam of course, Windstar Star Pride and a tiny expedition ship parked to our aft the Le Bellot from Ponant.  Yesterday in Isafjordur we had Le Boreal from Ponant and Rivages du Monde World Explorer. 

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Happy Polka day!  A quick polka story:

I remember a cruise -- on Sitmar I think -- when I was a kid where the staff held games and competitions in the evening before or after dinner related to dancing. One night, my parents participated in one where you had to dance together to whatever music the band played with an orange between your foreheads. If you let the orange drop, you were out. (And I seem to recall that you had to actually DO the required dance, not just move your feet back and forth.)

My parents were doing so well. They were one of three couples left and I was cheering them on. Then the band struck up a polka. My dad loves to polka -- a dance which is, shall we say, lively. Off he went. Down came the orange. Oh well....  They had fun.

For those who wonder whether taking kids on cruises is a good vacation, this is one of many memories I have stored up from a young age from the family cruising we did. It's nice to look at my parents now, in their 90s and not in great health, and remember how much fun they had cruising and how lively they were.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We had a nice walk though it was  pretty cloudy and cool today. We were surprised to see the huge church has the steps removed and it looks like they will have s lot of work rebuilding them. So we walked up the steep street to the right of it. Then over to the Botanical Garden. They still had flowers but no spring ones like the tulips we say in June 2022. 

The troll everyone was taking photos with and me in the Akureyri heart. DH is not the finest photographer around and he only takes one!

IMG_3768.thumb.jpeg.d0142cf54499355c9c893079e398c12a.jpeg

IMG_3773.thumb.jpeg.ad07e171053e0465c462416056bdf302.jpeg

IMG_3775.thumb.jpeg.a95a982e995cdb98e9a83ad88e0533a7.jpeg

IMG_3803.thumb.jpeg.6635fb26562e72d8be1622a35b1ab120.jpeg

IMG_3811.thumb.jpeg.64292769aad51bc380a793ee97f13429.jpeg

IMG_3816.thumb.jpeg.00517c7882b93b2bbcda4a3d92413102.jpeg

IMG_3818.thumb.jpeg.3bb9bf8655eaa15d32fc2b6009eff8af.jpeg

IMG_3821.thumb.jpeg.8a9921d64b12410cbfd1a8b0f4d715f8.jpeg

IMG_3823.thumb.jpeg.cf5905b17a696cf5be3202aa4ccd3612.jpeg

IMG_3828.thumb.jpeg.3081cee43d0224e1cfdddc1a9c77340b.jpeg

IMG_3830.thumb.jpeg.ac70b179ebb4e41cd1af9e47563739b7.jpeg

A trash can on a light pole with a knitted cover for it. This was the cutest one we saw. 

IMG_3833.thumb.jpeg.da948b2d9b0d89535b9f9350b897fd2f.jpeg

We came back to the ship and had lunch and wouldn’t you know it. The sun peeped out a few times!

The three ships here today are Zaandam of course, Windstar Star Pride and a tiny expedition ship parked to our aft the Le Bellot from Ponant.  Yesterday in Isafjordur we had Le Boreal from Ponant and Rivages du Monde World Explorer. 

Awesome photos Sandi.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I like books for their education value and also ability to transport us to new places and ideas. I'll salute the world's indigenous peoples. Due to a large Polish descendant population here, polkas are still popular at weddings. I think most of us want to be both loved and understood. I like the meal, pass on the drink, and maybe on the wine. The invention of the diesel engine was an important milestone. I haven't been to Cape Town.

Another in a string of nice days here. I have PT, but it's not until 5:40 PM. This is the special therapist, and she's only at the nearby site once a week. I should do some work in the yard, but just not feeling up to it today. I put a Salonpas on my back this AM, and I think that's starting to help.

@grapau27 Lovely hydrangeas, and with special meaning. Mine didn't bloom this year (not because I cut them back too much), along with other plants/shrubs that didn't either. Maybe it was our winter with almost no snow. I'm hoping for better luck next year.

@StLouisCruisers Enjoy Akureyri, Iceland! Thanks for the photos. Best to DD as she starts her school year, and to Ren in his new school in Texas.

@ottahand7 Nice catch and nice flowers.

@smitty34877 I'm glad DSIL was safe from the storms yesterday. 

@aliaschief Safe travels tomorrow up to PA.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I hope the convertible check engine light goes off! Thanks for the Cape Town photos.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear about the boss having a family emergency. Interesting art.

@cruising sister Prayers for Baby Murphy that she can get off ECMO successfully, and for the family with any decisions they have to make.

@Nickelpenny I loved Path Between the Seas. I met David McCullough many years ago and he was fascinating to talk to; he was from here and there is a bridge named after him. You'll do great subbing!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've always had a love for books and have passed that down to my DS, and now his boys enjoy books as well.  I'm proud to say I have Indigenous ancestry and although we love to polka, haven't had the chance to do it in years.

It's a cool morning out there today - currently only 14C (57F) and it isn't expected to get too warm, only 21 (69).  Apparently the cold front we're experiencing is supposed to get rid of the smoke we've had hanging around the past number of days.  I just wish there wasn't any smoke to get rid of!  

Neither of us slept well last night - both of had our minds racing after DH received the news that he'd be getting a pacemaker implanted.  We're both a little slow this morning, but thankfully there isn't a lot going on.  I have an eye appointment later this afternoon and that's about all - of course, there's always laundry after having guests in the house.

I'm going to pass on the drink, although I like Scotch, I'm just not a fan of Laphroaig, but would try the wine next year.  I really like today's menu suggestion, especially the one baked in the skillet - sounds super easy.  We're still working on leftovers from the weekend; tonight's creation will consist of grilled pork chops, barbecued dill potatoes and a freshly made coleslaw that we'll enjoy on the deck with the windows closed.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I like books for their education value and also ability to transport us to new places and ideas. I'll salute the world's indigenous peoples. Due to a large Polish descendant population here, polkas are still popular at weddings. I think most of us want to be both loved and understood. I like the meal, pass on the drink, and maybe on the wine. The invention of the diesel engine was an important milestone. I haven't been to Cape Town.

Another in a string of nice days here. I have PT, but it's not until 5:40 PM. This is the special therapist, and she's only at the nearby site once a week. I should do some work in the yard, but just not feeling up to it today. I put a Salonpas on my back this AM, and I think that's starting to help.

@grapau27 Lovely hydrangeas, and with special meaning. Mine didn't bloom this year (not because I cut them back too much), along with other plants/shrubs that didn't either. Maybe it was our winter with almost no snow. I'm hoping for better luck next year.

@StLouisCruisers Enjoy Akureyri, Iceland! Thanks for the photos. Best to DD as she starts her school year, and to Ren in his new school in Texas.

@ottahand7 Nice catch and nice flowers.

@smitty34877 I'm glad DSIL was safe from the storms yesterday. 

@aliaschief Safe travels tomorrow up to PA.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I hope the convertible check engine light goes off! Thanks for the Cape Town photos.

@marshhawk Sorry to hear about the boss having a family emergency. Interesting art.

@cruising sister Prayers for Baby Murphy that she can get off ECMO successfully, and for the family with any decisions they have to make.

@Nickelpenny I loved Path Between the Seas. I met David McCullough many years ago and he was fascinating to talk to; he was from here and there is a bridge named after him. You'll do great subbing!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Thank you Vanessa.

I pruned them early April taking the old flower heads off to the leading buds and there are lots of flower heads still to open.

The previous year I pruned them early March and we had a severe frost after that which really affected that years flowers.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I grew up in an area where wedding receptions and any large gathering always had polka's. I loved dancing the polka. My husband was raised in a different culture, one where no one dances. I was shocked when I went to a wedding reception on his side of the family. it was lovely but very very quiet....

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Every day should be Book Lover's Day and the Day of the World's Indigenous People. Once a year is enough for the polka.

The chicken would be OK with me, although I couldn't make it at home (no combinations of meat and dairy ingredients). Laphroaig should be drunk straight or with a little spring water. Iberian wine grapes don't ripen well here (yet) so I'll suggest Eminence Road Farm Winery Acidalia Red Blend, despite the awful name. I haven't been to Cape Town.

Dentist this afternoon, then lawn mowing if it doesn't rain. Then a 90-mile drive to attend our for

bookban.jpg.acf37f9a965899a8929b3d9f1a984b83.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 10

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Every event that I go to, plays a polka. So we dance it often, Quite fun!

I like to read and read most days. Have not been to Cape Town but would it is on the list. Thanks for the grear photos.

@grapau27  Beautiful hydrangeas!  They are one of my favorite flowers. We cant grow them here due to heat.

DH had his 2nd cataract surgery this AM. Went well. He was the first for today, so he was done and we were on our way home quickly. All good.

There is a heat warning here today with the feel like temperatures 116. Advised to stay inside if possible.  There is no one on the beach at present, too hot.  I walk in the evening. Last nite it was beautiful. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2