One of the main bonuses of being a 1st time Celebrity cruiser

CruisinShips

Been on lots of cruises, Diamond on Royal, mainly stay in suites over the past 10 years or so....going on my first Celebrity cruise in a few weeks.  Not sure why I haven't sailed Celebrity...was very loyal to Royal with a few other lines sprinkled in...I beleiv we had a couple booked that we decided to cancel for whatever reasons.

Anyway, we will be doing the Pacific coastal in a CS, and then we have two others booked in a SS.  But to my point in my subject line...as I read all of the negativity on here...and there has been a TON of it...we won't know what we are missing with the so-called cutbacks.  We will be able to judge our experience with limited expectations.  I remember a quote by the great Ray Charles I heard many years ago when someone asked him how disadvantaged he feels about being born blind.  His response was "It's like someone who never had cornbread.  You can't miss something you never experienced before."

We will get on the ship knowing the Eclipse is an older ship with minimal expectations other than hoping the ship is clean, the service is great, the food is good or better than just good in some cases, the bartenders can make good drinks, our cabin is cleaned daily and is a good temperature at night, our reasonable needs are attended to by someone with a good attitude, and we enjoy meeting some other nice folks.

Not worried about the cookies, the mini-fridge, food that used to be there (and isn't now), etc.

And I look forward to sharing our experience afterwards for those of you who are also new to Celebrity!

• Like 18

Like you, I am Diamond on Royal and finally decided to try Celebrity after all this time. Hubby and I boarded the Beyond earlier this year for the first time.

While I very much enjoyed the ship and the older crowd, the cruise was right when Celebrity started the cutbacks. I was expecting better food than Royal, and I was greatly disappointed. Dining room service was sub-par, imo. Entertainment, while good, could not hold a candle to the Oasis-class entertainment (except for Cats 😝)

That said, it didn't stop me from booking two more Celebrity cruises, as there was a lot to love about it as well. I still travel on Royal with my son, but prefer Celebrity with my husband.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

Been on lots of cruises, Diamond on Royal, mainly stay in suites over the past 10 years or so....going on my first Celebrity cruise in a few weeks.  Not sure why I haven't sailed Celebrity...was very loyal to Royal with a few other lines sprinkled in...I beleiv we had a couple booked that we decided to cancel for whatever reasons.

Anyway, we will be doing the Pacific coastal in a CS, and then we have two others booked in a SS.  But to my point in my subject line...as I read all of the negativity on here...and there has been a TON of it...we won't know what we are missing with the so-called cutbacks.  We will be able to judge our experience with limited expectations.  I remember a quote by the great Ray Charles I heard many years ago when someone asked him how disadvantaged he feels about being born blind.  His response was "It's like someone who never had cornbread.  You can't miss something you never experienced before."

We will get on the ship knowing the Eclipse is an older ship with minimal expectations other than hoping the ship is clean, the service is great, the food is good or better than just good in some cases, the bartenders can make good drinks, our cabin is cleaned daily and is a good temperature at night, our reasonable needs are attended to by someone with a good attitude, and we enjoy meeting some other nice folks.

Not worried about the cookies, the mini-fridge, food that used to be there (and isn't now), etc.

And I look forward to sharing our experience afterwards for those of you who are also new to Celebrity!

Like you we are new to  Celebrity (1 cruise in last April). Really enjoyed it - no idea how it compared to what it might have been years earlier. At the end of the day for the price I paid, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and have 2 more X cruises booked.

HAL was the same for us, Had not sailed them pre Covid. Have now done 6 (and 2 booked) which we have enjoyed and a good feel for what they offer at a price point today, although many a thread to read telling me I don't know what I am missing and it sucks. I like it.... Is it different/worse than it was 5 years ago...?? Don't know and honestly don't really care, as long as I like what I get now for the price I pay now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

I am a Platinum/Select coming from Royal as well.  Our first Celebrity is 12/1 on the Eclipse also in CC. I am very excited and will be going into it with the same attitude.  This is a tough crowd - sometimes and I am afraid to ask questions such as when do you start getting emails or notices for upgrade bids? LOL 

Hope you all have a great cruise - I look forward to your report.  Anne

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AMediator said:

sometimes and I am afraid to ask questions such as when do you start getting emails or notices for upgrade bids?

Never be afraid to ask a question here.  Many even the "complainers" are more than happy to provide answers.

As for this specific question.  It depends.  Generally it's around 30 days prior to sailing but can be much earlier.   For example for my Oct 13 sailing the MoveUp came out July 31, not to far after final payment.

I haven't heard of anyone on our sailing receiving a winning bid yet.  Sometimes they are awarded early other times not until 2 days before.  \

Truly a case of "it depends".

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Never be afraid to ask a question here.  Many even the "complainers" are more than happy to provide answers.

As for this specific question.  It depends.  Generally it's around 30 days prior to sailing but can be much earlier.   For example for my Oct 13 sailing the MoveUp came out July 31, not to far after final payment.

I haven't heard of anyone on our sailing receiving a winning bid yet.  Sometimes they are awarded early other times not until 2 days before.  \

Truly a case of "it depends".

Thank you!  This is an absolutely fantastic group that I've been getting information from for years and I love these forums.  Just noticed a little bit more fiery then used to be.....  I love problem solving (lol)

I too am doing my first Celebrity in November.  I have no expectations except the ports that we'll visit.  I'm elite on Princess so I will miss the perks that come with that.  I'm glad we booked while all included still meant all included.  I had enough OBC to upgrade to the premium drink package so I know I'll have good wine.  I looked at the prices for specialty dining while they were onsale this weekend and decided to pass.  I was astounded that they charge a gratuity on top of the already high prices.  I'm expecting to be nickel and dimed but I know that going in. I'm sure we'll have a great time  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The X way, twice a day stateroom service, evening public restroom attendants with cloth hand towels, no lido/pool towel station and fewer kids.  Those are the only positive differences I can think of

I have a cruise booked on the Apex in April, 2024.  This is our first cruise on Celebrity. We had made it to Diamond Plus on Royal, but we decided to try something else after our last cruise. If all this is still available in April, 2024, I will be happy!  With no lido/pool towel station, where would we get towels?  Thanks!

Enjoy your cruise. Keep an open mind and you will enjoy it. Glad you are looking past the negativity.  Frankly we are very tired of all of it!  We too are on the Eclipse Pacific Coastal and the one following.  We just enjoy cruising. We moved over from Royal a number of years ago. 
We were on the Transatlantic and the cruise following and we loved them. No complaints. Just love being out on the water. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KansasK said:

I have a cruise booked on the Apex in April, 2024.  This is our first cruise on Celebrity. We had made it to Diamond Plus on Royal, but we decided to try something else after our last cruise. If all this is still available in April, 2024, I will be happy!  With no lido/pool towel station, where would we get towels?  Thanks!

They have a few towel racks on the lido/pool deck, there's no attendant, you just take them; no checking the towels' out

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KansasK said:

To a towel cart where you grab as many as you need and no one asks for your card or cabin #.  

• Haha 1

I thought every bathroom was nice, felt very sanitary, very limited hand touching as to prevent spread of germs. I’d have to ask if public princess bathrooms are also nice and felt sanitary. My first time on celebrity was very magical so I have two cruises booked in the future with them. The only thing I dislike is one of them is on an older ship but that negative isn’t exclusive to celebrity.

We are Diamond on Royal Caribbean and taking our first Celebrity cruise in October.   The one question we can't seem to find the answer to is, the Elite perk of the Evening Cocktail hour 5-7.  It doesn't mention if you can use it in any of the bar or dining venue's or only in the private lounge.  On Royal it can be used anywhere cocktails are served, during the hours allowed by showing your key card. 

Maybe that is the intention of Celebrity.     Drive away all their more seasoned cruisers that expect many of the things that are being reduced or eliminated and replace them with the "New Celebrity" Future Customers.     If they never had it they won't miss it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JCMass. said:

We are Diamond on Royal Caribbean and taking our first Celebrity cruise in October.   The one question we can't seem to find the answer to is, the Elite perk of the Evening Cocktail hour 5-7.  It doesn't mention if you can use it in any of the bar or dining venue's or only in the private lounge.  On Royal it can be used anywhere cocktails are served, during the hours allowed by showing your key card. 

The Elite Cocktail hour from 5 -7 includes drinks from a specific list of drinks, available at the bars that participate.  The World Class Bar, Cellar Masters, and the MDR are excluded.  Some have reported different answers about whether the Elite Cocktails are available at the Martini bar. 

There is no "private lounge" like they have on Royal Caribbean.  So as the website says - these drinks are "available at most bars."  

23 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

The Elite Cocktail hour from 5 -7 includes drinks from a specific list of drinks, available at the bars that participate.  The World Class Bar, Cellar Masters, and the MDR are excluded.  Some have reported different answers about whether the Elite Cocktails are available at the Martini bar. 

There is no "private lounge" like they have on Royal Caribbean.  So as the website says - these drinks are "available at most bars."  

Thanks, so what seems different from Royal Caribbean is that you cannot order a drink in a restaurant.  Too bad we have enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner, we usually eat early and it works out well. 

1 hour ago, JCMass. said:

Thanks, so what seems different from Royal Caribbean is that you cannot order a drink in a restaurant.  Too bad we have enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner, we usually eat early and it works out well. 

We usually pick up a glass of wine and take it into the dining room with us!  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 11:36 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

The X way, twice a day stateroom service, evening public restroom attendants with cloth hand towels, no lido/pool towel station and fewer kids.  Those are the only positive differences I can think of

We like being able to go directly to our stateroom to drop off any carry on(s) and pick up our Seapass cards before the staterooms are ready. Oh yeah and evening pillow chocolates. 

On 9/7/2023 at 2:54 PM, suekel said:

I had enough OBC to upgrade to the premium drink package so I know I'll have good wine.

Not necessarily. You might need to order by the bottle to have good wine (depending on your definition of "good").

• Haha 1

When my expectations of my suite bookings become minimal, I guess I will no longer be booking suites. Until then, if I pay the considerable up charge for  a suite, my expectations of my experience will continue to be commiserate with the extra money I’ve paid. I imagine this will hold true for me if it’s the first time on a cruise line or my tenth time sailing. Completely understand your point but knowing me, if I pay the money, my expectations will remain high. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mauimary said:

We usually pick up a glass of wine and take it into the dining room with us!  

We had a fabulous bar waiter in the dining room on the Solstice last week. Dharmesh always seemed to show up just when we were ready for another drink on our classic package!

On 9/7/2023 at 5:32 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Maybe that is the intention of Celebrity.     Drive away all their more seasoned cruisers that expect many of the things that are being reduced or eliminated and replace them with the "New Celebrity" Future Customers.     If they never had it they won't miss it.

I think all cruise lines count on that. When we try Oceania, we will have no basis of “then” vs “now”. It will be about what we experience. Probably inevitable comparisons to whoever we cruised with in the past, but no Oceania change or cut will be evident.

mac_tlc

On 9/7/2023 at 11:36 AM, CruisinShips said:

We have sailed the CS a number of times on S-Class ships like Eclipse.  You will enjoy it.  You will still get dedicated butler service - a number of the complaints you see here are are about Sky Suites.  You will get excellent food and service in your daily dining venue, Luminae.  IMO it is a step above the RCCL version Coastal Kitchen.  So ignore us here and just enjoy your cruise!  Look forward to hearing from you again!

• Like 1