Opinions please

lbfluffy

We have the Discovery booked for Hawaii March 2024. Due to the tragedy in Lahaina, our cruise dropped Lahaina. Plus Kauai wasn’t on the itinerary when we booked the cruise. So now we are down to two ports, Kona and Honolulu both overnight. We discussed with our friends and have decided to do a different trip. We chose Panama Canal for March. We have a  choice between the Emerald or the Ruby. We have to go in March because my friend is a nurse and must be back early April. So for anybody that has been on those ships, what are your thoughts. I think we went on the Ruby a while back. I’m trying to figure out when. We have done so many cruises, I forget the details. Thank you.

9 minutes ago, lbfluffy said:

We have the Discovery booked for Hawaii March 2024. Due to the tragedy in Lahaina, our cruise dropped Lahaina. Plus Kauai wasn’t on the itinerary when we booked the cruise. So now we are down to two ports, Kona and Honolulu both overnight. We discussed with our friends and have decided to do a different trip. We chose Panama Canal for March. We have a  choice between the Emerald or the Ruby. We have to go in March because my friend is a nurse and must be back early April. So for anybody that has been on those ships, what are your thoughts. I think we went on the Ruby a while back. I’m trying to figure out when. We have done so many cruises, I forget the details. Thank you.

Those two ships are essentially identical sister ships.

• Like 4

We were on Ruby this past June.   Pretty worn out & scruffy.  The good news is a recent thread indicating Ruby will be in dry dock stating this Sept.  Hopefully they will be giving her some much needed polishing.  

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We were on Ruby this past June.   Pretty worn out & scruffy.  The good news is a recent thread indicating Ruby will be in dry dock stating this Sept.  Hopefully they will be giving her some much needed polishing.  

We sailed on Ruby last December and had no issues at all. Not sure what you mean about "worn out and scruffy".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

We sailed on Ruby last December and had no issues at all. Not sure what you mean about "worn out and scruffy".

The standard meaning of worn out and scruffy I guess.   You know, like when you realize it is time to repaint the room. Lamp shades in our cabin were held together with scotch tape.  Saw cardboard duct taped over things.  Seems Princess realizes she is in need of some TLC.    

In my opinion, you made the right decision.  That's a lot of sea days for a city and a town, both overnights.  I am shocked that they didn't try to port in Kahului, Maui.  Maui would welcome their contributions to the economy. There isn't enough to do to warrant an overnight stay in a tender port (Kona).  The same for Honolulu.  Passengers are doing this itinerary to get a feel for each island since each island brings with it its own charm, beauty, and differences. 

I've recently been on the Emerald.  Enjoyed my cruise.  Staff was great.

8 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

I was on the Ruby in April.  Good experience.  Not a bad ship.  I thought she was in good shape.  My friend thought so too.

IMG_20230412_154529(1).thumb.jpg.d4d101acc2c956331e641a9935b09cf4.jpg

IMG_20230412_0822102(1).thumb.jpg.45a56a0ba5b0383e38ad7c8208583708.jpg

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

Your clarifying comments mostly seem to target your cabin.  That's fair.  Everyone's experience is different there.  My cabin was also in decent shape:

IMG_20230409_134754.thumb.jpg.1a1ec6940d02b97e01820ad2d99567d8.jpg

• Like 2

Sister ships, virtually the same. I enjoy the older grand class ships over the royal class. I like the 360 degree promenade, the multiple viewing locations including forward areas which are excellent for a P.C. cruise, the various lounges, multiple pool areas and more. These are available on both ships. The Ruby is scheduled for almost a month of Dry/Wet dock starting in a week or two. The Ruby should be pretty spiffy upon it's return to service. Look here for information. Postings 68 onwards have lots of current information.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I was on the Ruby in April.  Good experience.  Not a bad ship.  I thought she was in good shape.  My friend thought so too.

Your clarifying comments mostly seem to target your cabin.  That's fair.  Everyone's experience is different there.  My cabin was also in decent shape:

We also had a good experience.  Like most Princess ships, I like the layout.  It is among my favorites.   I'll stick with my observations, which are not limited to our cabin, that the ship is in need of some sprucing up.   I'm guessing that is behind the upcoming dry dock, but who knows.  Maybe it has to do with the collision damage that happened a few months ago.  Or maybe something else.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Captain Hudson!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

In my opinion, you made the right decision.  That's a lot of sea days for a city and a town, both overnights.  I am shocked that they didn't try to port in Kahului, Maui.  Maui would welcome their contributions to the economy. There isn't enough to do to warrant an overnight stay in a tender port (Kona).  The same for Honolulu.  Passengers are doing this itinerary to get a feel for each island since each island brings with it its own charm, beauty, and differences. 

I've recently been on the Emerald.  Enjoyed my cruise.  Staff was great.

On many of the Hawaii cruises coming up they have added Kona or Hilo in place of Maui. No overnights. I am sailing on the 30th on the Crown no overnight 

14 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

We have decided to do a different trip. We chose Panama Canal for March. We have a choice between the Emerald or the Ruby. So for anybody that has been on those ships, what are your thoughts. 

We were just on the Emerald in Aug/Sep for a 19 night Panama Canal transit. Although the ship is over 15 years old, it is in fine shape. Food and entertainment were ok, but the service was outstanding. 

The 15 night March 6th 2024 itinerary is being offered at a very reasonable price by Princess, and several hundred dollars per person LESS, by well known cruise consolidator travel agencies. $714pp inside, $1060pp ocean view, and $2309pp balcony. Just know that the taxes are over $500pp in addition to those base fares.

Also know that you can get $250 OBC for military service, as well as $250 for shareholder benefit, and yet another $150 (or more) for using a Princess Future Cruise Deposit. Have a great cruise!

We are going on the March 23rd sailing starting in Ft. Lauderdale and ending in LA. We sailed the Ruby years ago and wanted to sail with her again. Really enjoyed the layout. We booked a cabin on the Caribe deck which has a larger hybrid balcony, half covered and half open.

15 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

We have been on both ships.  I personally have preferred the Ruby, but have no specific reason.

that said, we got off the Ruby in august and I can tell you it had the happiest crew I have seen in my years of cruising.  They were also the most accommodating crew as well.  It made a huge difference in our enjoyment.  

• Like 1