What health related items do you take on a cruise?

Sarah I

I wondered what the essential health related items are you should take on a cruise? I want to be prepared with the right things especially as I am not confident when it comes to buying things at port/in other countries. I was thinking things like cold and flu tablets, indigestion tablets, seasickness bands, hand sanitiser.

Are there any brands people would recommend? Or will own brand products be ok for lots of things?

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Obviously you need to take any prescription medications (in their original bottles) with you.  But all the other items you mention for day to day occurrences would be good.  Often port of call medicines are not the same composition or strength and may be more expensive.  No reason to rely on purchasing those items in port - or on the ship - when it would be easiest and likely less costly just to take them with you as they won't take up much space.  Better to have something and not need it then need it and not have it.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Obviously you need to take any prescription medications (in their original bottles) with you.  But all the other items you mention for day to day occurrences would be good.  Often port of call medicines are not the same composition or strength and may be more expensive.  No reason to rely on purchasing those items in port - or on the ship - when it would be easiest and likely less costly just to take them with you as they won't take up much space.  Better to have something and not need it then need it and not have it.

Hi, I bring prescription meds with me and I have a pill box I use every time. Never had any kind of issues doing it this way. I can't remember the last time (if ever) I have brought the original bottles with me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I put over the counter medications into small screw--top containers (which I bought from the Walmart travel aisle), then carry them in a zip-lock bag. I mark the containers with the medicine names. I've also bought OTC meds in pill form so that I don't have to worry about liquids.

As others have said, whatever you stock in your medicine cabinet might be a good thing to pack in small amounts. And, like Lois R, we carry our prescriptions in a pill box, no markings. The only time we carried in the original containers was to fly overseas and no one ever even looked at them. *shrug*

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sarah I said:

I wondered what the essential health related items are you should take on a cruise?...I was thinking things like cold and flu tablets, indigestion tablets, seasickness bands, hand sanitiser.

Picking up on others' recommendations, I recommend Mucinex cough suppressant (dextromethorphan) and expectorant (guaifenesin) in tablet form. Store brand is fine. I love to find the two medications in separate pills -- you need to cough for the expectorant to work! -- but it is hard to find. These seem expensive, but one bottle of cough suppressant is equivalent to several bottles of cough syrup, cannot leak, and doesn't need to fit in your 3-1-1 bag if flying with carry-on only.

I do not bring cold-and-flu tablets, but buy the ingredients separately: Tylenol and Ibuprofen, non-drowsy antihistamine, Benedryl for when drowsyness is desired (!), and the cough tablets mentioned. Then Tums and Imodium and first-aid items. Someone mentioned recently bringing little kits for filling a tooth if you lose a filling! Not a bad idea!

ETA: for seasickness or upset tummy I bring ginger pills or tea bags.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

For any important meds, especially prescription, we always take an extra supply, in case of delays.  It used to be something like 2-3 days' worth.  However, after watching what happened to that cruise ship that was stuck in limbo in Japan at the start of the plague (I mean Covid! 😉 ), we would now take at least an extra week's worth.  And more for anything that might/would be difficult to replace, such as controlled substances or unusual prescriptions.  Once there is a packet with the regular supply, taking more isn't going to take up much room.

But NOTE:  There are some countries that may have restrictions that aren't obvious, and don't include the expected list.  Japan will not allow ANY Sudafed (a common cold/decongestant in the USA) in the formulation that is now "by request behind the counter" (but not Rx).  They don't fret about the formulation that is "on the shelf" (yup, that's the one that was just announced as being "ineffective"...).

We are always VERY careful when crossing certain borders; others don't seem to present similar problems or risks.

We keep all meds at the top of our carry-ons, in case anyone asks about them.

We also have copies of the Rx scripts and a letter from the physician for anything that might be concerning.  We don't update those for every trip, just every few years if it's the "same old, same old" med and dosage, etc.

And we keep backup copies of just about everything about a trip on our laptops and also "in the cloud", so we could access it if needed.

We've never had a problem, and hope to keep it that way!

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I bring prescription meds with me and I have a pill box I use every time. Never had any kind of issues doing it this way. I can't remember the last time (if ever) I have brought the original bottles with me.

It's not a "must", but a recommendation. Even giving that suggestion I as well have brought some of my meds in a non-descript container.  IMO any prescribed narcotics should be in the original container.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It's not a "must", but a recommendation. Even giving that suggestion I as well have brought some of my meds in a non-descript container.  IMO any prescribed narcotics should be in the original container.

Maybe I am just out of the loop and I am truly not trying to argue but when I think of narcotics? I don't think of a statin......or a diabetes pill or a thyroid pill. 

15 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Maybe I am just out of the loop and I am truly not trying to argue but when I think of narcotics? I don't think of a statin......or a diabetes pill or a thyroid pill. 

If you don't take any narcotics or other controlled substances (it's not only "narcotics" that are "controlled"), then you aren't affected this.

But why would you consider yourself "out of the loop" or need to claim you are "truly not trying to argue"?

GC

14 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

If you don't take any narcotics or other controlled substances (it's not only "narcotics" that are "controlled"), then you aren't affected this.

But why would you consider yourself "out of the loop" or need to claim you are "truly not trying to argue"?

GC

Because, I was trying to be honest. Out of the loop that maybe my drugs are narcotics and I don't know they are? I don't think so but maybe I was just making sure I thought what I knew was correct.

And as for not trying to argue? I wasn't......I was trying to be respectful but sometimes on the internet, people can mis-read things since "tone" cannot be read. That's all.

• Like 1

I take so many daily meds that to take all the bottles would take up too much valuable real estate. I take pictures of the prescription labels that show my name too. Never had to show them. But good to have in case. 
other things that are a must for me: Benadryl, Tylenol migraine, omeprazol, aspercreme, gas-x, a good anti- itch cream, new skin (for blisters), sun block and aloe (if a sunny warm location). I also find I get what I call “travel stomach”. It’s from eating way more than usual, richer foods, too much sun and not enough sleep. Three excellent remedies- bitters, ginger or camomile tea, and tamarind candies. The last I have only seen in Ecuador. I call them

magic candy. Within seconds my tummy feels so much better. If you can find them get some. 
The bitters you can get at any bar. I like drinking an Aperol spritz. It really settles my stomach and cures headaches. 

43 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Because, I was trying to be honest. Out of the loop that maybe my drugs are narcotics and I don't know they are? I don't think so but maybe I was just making sure I thought what I knew was correct.

And as for not trying to argue? I wasn't......I was trying to be respectful but sometimes on the internet, people can mis-read things since "tone" cannot be read. That's all.

I was referring, as example, to certain prescription pain medications, which commonly would be a narcotic - and as such as a controlled substance.  The other medications as your referenced such as statins, steroids, or diabetes pills, etc., are not in that classification.  I am also pretty sure your doctor would make you aware of any medication that was a narcotic that was being prescribed to you as they can be addictive.

And I took no inference of you arguing - just that you were asking a question.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

13 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I was referring, as example, to certain prescription pain medications, which commonly would be a narcotic - and as such as a controlled substance.  The other medications as your referenced such as statins, steroids, or diabetes pills, etc., are not in that classification.  I am also pretty sure your doctor would make you aware of any medication that was a narcotic that was being prescribed to you as they can be addictive.

And I took no inference of you arguing - just that you were asking a question.

😊 Thank you. 

Besides my prescription medication: Benadryl - it is multipurpose, a sleep aid, a motion sickness remedy and for congestion.  Calcium antacid tablets, pepto bismal.   Hydrocortisone for rashes or insect reactions.  I also bring a dental repair kit.  

I also bring my favorite herbal tea and Vitamin C, D and bcomplex.  All of which were suggested by my physician.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Benadryl - it is multipurpose, a sleep aid, a motion sickness remedy and for congestion.  Hydrocortisone for rashes or insect reactions.

Benadryl (oral) is also good for rashes and insect bites/stings. But I didn't mention the Cortaid (generic is fine) cream as well. I always have it for eczema outbreaks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sarah I said:

I wondered what the essential health related items are you should take on a cruise? I want to be prepared with the right things especially as I am not confident when it comes to buying things at port/in other countries. I was thinking things like cold and flu tablets, indigestion tablets, seasickness bands, hand sanitiser.

Are there any brands people would recommend? Or will own brand products be ok for lots of things?

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Essential health related items we bring will depend on both the length of cruise and the itinerary.

Regardless of the length of cruise and itinerary, we obviously bring a supply of prescription meds, enough for the planned itinerary + a couple of weeks to a month. DW also has her first aid kit, which as a retired trauma RN is quite extensive. Will also have some basic over the counter meds.

For a short cruise, of less than 30-40 days we will bring the above noted basic package, unless the itinerary dictates we need more.

For World Cruises and Grand Voyages, we bring the above noted and a selection of broad spectrum anti-biotics and other prescription meds. How much we bring depends on the itinerary and ability to resupply during the voyage. On our 2015 World Cruise we stopped in Dubai, which has no requirement for prescriptions. We visited a local Chemist and DW chatted with the Pharmacist to determine the medications she wanted to replace.

10 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:
30 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

Better to take it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Better to have something and not need it then need it and not have it.

Great minds think alike LOL - my motto as well as mentioned before.  Always good advice!

22 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We've never taken any prescriptions in their original bottle until our trip to Australia and New Zealand last winter.  Because requirements there were very stringent, we went to all kinds of lengths to have original packaging, doctor's letter, list from pharmacy, etc.  Not one person or agency asked to see all this stuff.  But at least better safe than sorry!  I just regretted all the time all this preparation took and all the space in luggage for a six week trip.

I always have a small zip lock bag with pain relievers, cold or allergy meds, bandaids, antibacterial gel, and other common first aid supplies.  After trying to find pain relievers in Portugal in an area English was not commonly spoken and bandaids in Africa, (they're not called that in Kenya!)  I bring the basics.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I take my Rx meds of course.  I understand drug labeling, naming and how to read ingredients. I have no issues with going to a drug store and shopping over the counter.  Most generic medications are made by the same global companies and the Diphenhydramine 25mg tablets you buy at your local grocery store are , most likely, the same as what you will buy in a port town along the way.  Just look at the information on the package.  I travel with a very limited number of OTC items, all the usual ; NSAID, Nyquil, antacids, usually my precious supply of Rennie as the packaging is convenient and my OTC eye drop.  I can go to the green cross or Boots etc and get what I need, if I need it.