Can We make 10 am flight from Miami

cruisin 07

14 minutes ago, cruisin 07 said:

Arrive at 7 am on Sat Jan 13, Port of Miami. AA changed our flight from noon to 10 am. Is that cutting it to close?

7 am is a late arrival..how many other ships will arrive in port before yours/ how many pax?

as Jim said...walk off is highly rec (pack light).and a pvt car service is def rec.

Still it is cutting it close... If everything goes smoothly, it could work on an early Sat morning. .lMuch less traffic  than on a weekday  but there is a distance to the airport, plus check-in and security...and not sure where your gate is.

when this happens we prefer to stay at a hotel..and leave the next day..less stress..Wish you luck..Report back!

• Thanks 1

It's a high-risk gamble.  You might make it, but you also might miss it.  Personally I don't like to end my vacation feeling anxious, so I never plan short connections. I'd rather stay the night in a hotel and leisurely make my way to the airport the next day.

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Guera53 said:

When an airline changes my flight, I contact them and tell them the new flight that I want. As long as it’s the same date, they accommodate. 

Exactly our experiences. Usually more, but that's on the airlines, not me. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruisin 07 said:

Thanks for all the input. AA let me change to a later flight at no additional charge. I just get home 4 hrs later but will make it with no stress,

excellent... less stress and you will still get home on the same day!

3 hours ago, cruisin 07 said:

Arrive at 7 am on Sat Jan 13, Port of Miami. AA changed our flight from noon to 10 am. Is that cutting it to close?

I've made a 9:40 with enough time to visit the lounge first. As long as there are no issues with the ship getting into the port, you can walk off first thing and be there with 2 hours to spare.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

I've made a 9:40 with enough time to visit the lounge first. As long as there are no issues with the ship getting into the port, you can walk off first thing and be there with 2 hours to spare.

Excellent!! I have a 10:30 out of FLL. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, destar said:

Excellent!! I have a 10:30 out of FLL. 

From Port of Miami?  To me that's too risky.  Just off Summit on Monday.  First people probably hit the curb about 8 am.  Then during disembarkation the escalator in the terminal broke and they had to move disembarkation from deck 4 to deck 1.  Delayed the rest of disembarkation about 1/2 hr at least.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Same. But we’ve had no issues getting into port on those early flight occasions. I feel for those who have an early flight and then something unexpected happens. Scheduling transportation in advance definitely helps. 

• Like 2

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

Same. But we’ve had no issues getting into port on those early flight occasions. I feel for those who have an early flight and then something unexpected happens. Scheduling transportation in advance definitely helps. 

I am usually booking the Uber as I am walking off the ship or I may just head to the taxi stand. I have never waited more than 1 minute for a taxi at either of the South Florida ports. It also helps that I have a ticket that I can do same day changes on for free so I have that option in my back pocket if necessary.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 11:50 AM, cruisin 07 said:

We docked April 06 in Miami (a Thursday) at 7 a.m. for a 10 a.m. flight out of MIA airport. The "unexpected things" happened and, while we ultimately made it to our gate on time, it was a nerve-racking experience requiring us to sprint across vast expanses of airport. We vowed never to cut it that close again.

Congratulations on giving yourself that four-hour cushion, and hope you have a great cruise!

cjr

Expect the unexpected at the Port of Miami. I've experienced delays of up 2 hours in Miami. One time it was for a slowdown by C&I who were protesting a shutdown. Why end what I expect will be a relaxing cruise with stress?

I have done FLL several times to catch a 10:00 flight, but that’s not Miami.  Since you have already changed your flight, no worries for you!  We walk off with our luggage and have a private car waiting for to wisk us away...it beats waiting in the airport with very few places to sit for a FBC.

Edited by Lastdance

image.thumb.png.77eed1a3b08a15d0d1664b819e9641dd.png

I'll share some tips for others as I've made a 10am flight out of Miami before but understand the OP did change their flight

-Google the airline's missed flight policy; for most, you call and they'll book on the next flight if there's availability otherwise you're on standby

-Armed with the airline's missed flight policy, have a plan of what you'll do if you miss your flight

-Self-carry off and use a taxi if you don't have pre-arrangements.  Uber/Lyft is too risky as time estimates can be off and the drivers can cancel

-On US domestic flights, generally checked luggage has a deadline 45mins before departure

-If carrying on, generally the plane's door closes 15mins before departure yet you'll probably be forced to gate check if you arrive that close to departure

- Specific to AA Miami which is where they're HQed, the domestic terminals are massive.  There is a train yet when we were there it was closed for maintenance and they had buses with long lines so we decided to walk.  We have never walked as much as we did for a domestic flight and we routinely fly out of LAX and SFO

-We flew a week before XMas wrongly predicting many wouldn't travel for the XMas that far in advance yet the airport was slammed.  We both have clear and global which gives you pre-check, the clear line had at least 250+ people.  To our surprise there were only a dozen in pre-check so we got lucky there

On our return from an X sailing out of FLL, we made 8:43am, we just barely made the checked luggage 45min before cut off because at them time I didn't know better and tried using ride shares where one cancelled on us and next too 15mins to arrive.  Had we taken a taxi we would have been fine

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

Probably too early.  Sometimes customs arrive late so the arrival time hasn’t anything to do with disembarking.  If you get off the ship around 8-8:30 you need a car service to airport. Can take 1/2 hour as other cruise ships also disembarking.  The airport and security take at least 1/2 hour.  Can be up to 1 hour.

You missed your flight!

Edited by Cruise a holic