Cruise #2 questions

birdman518

We are looking to book another river cruise (Europe) soon.   Last time, we used a local travel agent, and we were generally pleased with her help.
But to be honest, there was very little that we could not have done easily ourselves.   What is the general opinion here about "doing it yourself"?

I really only see 4 big items:
1.  Book the cruise

2.  Book the airlines

3.  Book extra-cruise activities

4.  Book travel insurance

Obviously, the more stuff that the cruise package includes, the less of the above may be applicable.

I am not really crazy about this, but the wife (?) wants to.

In a similar vein, does American Express travel (we recently got a Gold card) have any advantages for this?

Thanks,

Mitchell

First, don't underestimate the value of a travel agent.  They handle all of the major steps you've outlined so that you don't have to and also handle the details as your representative with the river cruise line.  They also will support you with any issues that may arise with your plans and can also sometimes provide additional perks not associated with a direct booking.  75% of all cruises are booked through TA's - and for good reason.  That being said, of course you can always book directly yourself, but there will be no fare or other advantage in doing so IMO.

Second, you cannot mention by name or ask about specific travel agents on this site.  Your post might be removed as a result.

• Like 1

Never, ever, under any circumstances book your travel insurance thru your travel provider. That insurance that they provide (at a good price) is because it has to meet the regulations of every regulatory agency there possibly is. Each US State, each Province, each Country. 

The coverage is suspect, the coverages are low, the medical is secondary, and the medical does not waive pre-existing conditions for the travelers in question nor the non traveling family members that 3rd party travel insurance does. Also doesn't cover 3rd party default. (The river cruise company going bankrupt. Why? There's no 3rd party. You bought the insurance thru the first party)

Back to your question.

The only reason I use a TA is because my wife made friends with one. I still book the cruise and then we transfer it over to the TA so she can make a buck or 2.

I book all of our air travel. Booking your air thru the cruise line means you're getting consolidated air tickets. The terms and conditions can be vastly different than what you buy direct from the airline.

I book my hotels on my own.

I book separate excursions. (except maybe in your case on a river cruise where the excursions are included.)

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

The biggest advantage of using a TA is you have someone on your side when something bad happens either after you book and before you leave or when you are trying to get to the cruise or when you are on the cruise.  This has happened to us more than a few times and our TA has fought for us.

DON

• Like 1

You can easily book everything yourself. That being said, I think that you can get a much better deal on river cruises via a TA than you can get booking direct. Alot of the mainstream ocean cruises are the same, although you may get bonus OBC or a gift from a TA. We used Avalon for a river cruise and saved thousands by using a TA. Now, the TA ended up being incompetent and a huge headache. But I would shop around for a different TA before booking direct. 

Also, I did get travel insurance once through a TA package. It was cancel for any reason at a great price. We ended up using it for a travel disruption and had no complaints about the insurance. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

Thanks all, for your replies.   At this point, I am only getting a quote from the cruise company.  But I am a little anxious not to lose a place for the cruise and date I want.   I suspect we will go talk to a TA on Friday. (soonest).

17 minutes ago, birdman518 said:

Thanks all, for your replies.   At this point, I am only getting a quote from the cruise company.  But I am a little anxious not to lose a place for the cruise and date I want.   I suspect we will go talk to a TA on Friday. (soonest).

Many of the cruise lines let you do the initial booking thorough them directly and then have a window in which you can transfer the booking to a travel agent.  I would see if your river cruise line is one of them that will allow you to do that.

• Like 2

It costs you nothing to use a TA except for a little bit of the control but a good agent can be invaluable.   Mine is able to renegotiate fares if there is a sale, makes sure I never inadvertently book a non-refundable fare and more,  I still handle my air because I have points and am picky but she does give good advice there also. If I am arriving in a non-English country (South America, Africa, for example) after an overnight flight she always arranges a private driver who manages my hotel checkin - this is worth the cost!  She  also recommends add ons and more without ever being pushy.  I traveled for business for many years and arranged everything but it is a small luxury having someone who will wait on hold for me😉

• Like 1

Do you, perhaps, think that you will save money by booking direct?  Most here will attest to the fact that this never happens.  In fact, some TAs will discount your fare which will NEVER happen with a cruise line or any of their minions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Do you, perhaps, think that you will save money by booking direct?  Most here will attest to the fact that this never happens.  In fact, some TAs will discount your fare which will NEVER happen with a cruise line or any of their minions.

I agree. TA’s often have a bucket full of perks that they can hand out.  Pricing is very homogenized now and it costs the customer nothing to use a TA

• Like 1

My experience is that booking a cruise, flight, transfer and hotel yourself is often cheaper than using a TA. Get a price from a TA and then compare it with what you will pay if you book the individual parts yourself. If you plan to travel a lot, annual travel insurance is often cheaper than insurance for the individual trip. Many credit cards also offer travel insurance.

For the majority of my cruises I have booked independently.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thinfool said:

No money will be saved booking direct - or though a TA - as the fares are the same through both.  Reduced fares through a TA typically are facilitated through blocks of staterooms reserved by them which result in group based fares that are passed on through individual bookings.

But the service (and other perks that come out of their commissions) offered is well worth it and one of the reasons so many book through them.

• Like 1

As it turns out, there is a funny outcome here.  While I was awaiting a callback from the cruise company (I was really only expecting a quote), I also reached out to my TA.  By the time I got the call, the room I wanted was gone.  My TA had grabbed the last one for us.  We are going to meet with her on Friday, and I am 99% sure we will commit at that time.

Thanks again to all!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No money will be saved booking direct - or though a TA - as the fares are the same through both.  Reduced fares through a TA typically are facilitated through blocks of staterooms reserved by them which result in group based fares that are passed on through individual bookings.

I didn't get to sail the cruise, but my Princess CVP got me a reduced rate by putting me in a group fare. For two cabins. Puts the lie to saying a cruiseline's rep will never save you money.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

But the service (and other perks that come out of their commissions) offered is well worth it and one of the reasons so many book through them.

I'm feeling some deja vu here.   Of course money can be saved booking through a TA.  Doesn't matter how they manage to offer a discounted fare, it is still a discounted fare.   Every single cruise we take we pay a lower fare by using our TA as opposed to booking with the cruise line.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I didn't get to sail the cruise, but my Princess CVP got me a reduced rate by putting me in a group fare. For two cabins. Puts the lie to saying a cruiseline's rep will never save you money.

There are published group rates that would also be available to the TA's, and there are occasionally cruise line sponsored group rates, of which that fare may have applied.  What I am saying is that booking directly through the cruise line does not provide rates that would not also be available to a TA.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, George C said:

....if Europe i would inquire on there airfare we did get a good deal on that with cruise line rccl. 

Historically RCI (RCCL & Celebrity) has favorable airfares with European cruise itineraries.  (Domestic airfares tend to be the same as booking direct).  The schedules offered are typically well coordinated with the arrival / departure ports timing with multiple flight options offered.  The advantages with any flights booked through them also include no payment due on the airfare until final cruise payment and change and fare reduction flexibility until final payment as well.  Assistance is also offered for flight issues that may arise day of flight impacting departure port arrival to ship.

As a side note, Princess also offers a good combined airfare program.  IMO NCL, not so much as their flights are restricted and not typically convenient schedules based on the fares they offer.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Historically RCI (RCCL & Celebrity) has favorable airfares with European cruise itineraries.  (Domestic airfares tend to be the same as booking direct).  The schedules offered are typically well coordinated with the arrival / departure ports timing with multiple flight options offered.  The advantages with any flights booked through them also include no payment due on the airfare until final cruise payment and change and fare reduction flexibility until final payment as well. 

As a side note, Princess also offers a good combined airfare program.  IMO NCL, not so much as their flights are restricted and not typically convenient schedules based on the fares they offer.

My only negative on rccl and celebrity flights to Europe is if you go first or business class and it’s not a direct flight you normally will get coach for travel in USA then first to Europe.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Not unless you got a quote from a good TA on that same booking.  They may, and likely would, have done even better for you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hallasm said:

My experience is that booking a cruise, flight, transfer and hotel yourself is often cheaper than using a TA. Get a price from a TA and then compare it with what you will pay if you book the individual parts yourself. If you plan to travel a lot, annual travel insurance is often cheaper than insurance for the individual trip. Many credit cards also offer travel insurance.

For the majority of my cruises I have booked independently.

That may be the case in the Denmark market, but is certainly not the case in the US market.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

That may be the case in the Denmark market, but is certainly not the case in the US market.

Is very possible. When I have bought through TA's it has been US based TA and it has been cruise only.

It is relatively simple to compare a TA offer with the price you have to pay for individual bookings of cruise, hotels, transfer and flights and possible insurance.

If TA has the best offer, it's a simple decision.

• Like 1

Random thoughts, which contradict some of the above:  

- I've price-checked with travel agents, but I've never found lower prices.  I've checked multiple agents over the course of years.  I think my experience differs from most because we only cruise in the fall, which already boast the lowest prices of the year and because we book lower-priced rooms (we like the weather in the fall, and we want to cruise more often).  When you're making cheap-seat choices, it's hard for a third party to generate any profit.  

- I like to book through the cruise line because then I'M in charge.  I check for price drops (which used to be a thing, not so much any more), and I like to make the call MYSELF and know it's done.  I like doing the planning myself ... not everyone does.  

- We live close enough to drive to the port, so no flights to book.  We usually go through Priceline to get a cheap night-before hotel room.  These are easy-to-manage items.  

- I suspect a good travel agent would be an asset, but it's hard to know who's good vs. who's mediocre.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Random thoughts, which contradict some of the above:  

- I've price-checked with travel agents, but I've never found lower prices. 

I think this really is cruise line dependent. I know a TA that can always get me lower prices than listed on Celebrity; but they can't beat direct with NCl or Carnival. 

Let me tell you why I use a TA.  We are flying to Greece from Las Vegas with a change of flight in Atlanta.  We have plenty of time to make our Atlanta flight or so we thought except that we are stuck on the ground for an extended period because of bad weather and it looks we might not make it.  I call my TA while we are sitting on the plane waiting to take off and tell her the problem and she says she will check on alternative options out of Atlanta.  When we land in Atlanta she has left us a text message and she also calls us while we are sitting on the runway waiting to taxi to our gate telling us that it looks like we are OK but she has found an alternative flight with space available just in case.  It turned out that we were OK but barely but if we hadn't made our flight we had an alternative thanks to our TA.

Now tell me - would your Princess CVP provide that level of service.  I doubt it.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1