Denied Access with International Passport

12 minutes ago, fac429 said:

It so happens that I am.

must be a poor one if you think what they wrote was giving legal advice.  An even worst attorney in that you told them to delete their post but then you have their post quoted in your own. Sigh. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pochi Hanaki said:

However the US does not require its citizens to have a passport to enter the country by sea or land. They will keep you in secondary until they get proof of your citizenship. 

as we can see, neither the cruise line, nor I want to volunteer to check that process out. The cruise line requires you to have a proof of US citizenship with you to sail - so, we bring it. If you don't have US citizenship, then you need to have another type of permission to enter the US.

We do not leave the US without our US passports.

1 hour ago, fac429 said:

Don't know what jurisdiction you're in, but in a lot of places this would be considered giving legal advice without a license.  Might want to delete this one.  

It was not legal advice. It was an opinion, but have it your way. I defer to your personal sense of self importance. 

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

ETA: I know I am slightly paranoid about forgetting to bring our US passports on a cruise with us, but I triple check my purse before leaving the house, then check again on the ride to the airport, at the airport, then again at the hotel. 

So I'm not the only one 🤣 I will leave my suitcase before I will leave my documentation!

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Agents checking in passengers usually know the citizenship of the passenger standing in front of them  I personally never came across a US citizen using their other dual citizenship passport to get on a cruise ship  Now that I think about it, if I was faced with this situation, I would probably bring it to my supervisor's attention, and see how they would want to handle it.

I think that is the issue - dual citizenship using the other country’s passport. 

(As to you checking in passengers I did not know. I only cruised out of Seattle once - my one and only trip on HAL. 🙂 )

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I think that is the issue - dual citizenship using the other country’s passport. 

(As to you checking in passengers I did not know. I only cruised out of Seattle once - my one and only trip on HAL. 🙂 )

Isn't that like trying to use a Carnival boarding pass to board a RC ship? jk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

This situation isn't making a lot of sense.  Hungary is an EU country, so unless a particular visa was for a specific country on the cruise itinerary, generally a EU country passport would have been accepted.

Other possibilities is that the passport was expired. Or it had a different last name than the name booked for the cruise (change due to marriage); or perhaps the passport photo looked very different than the passenger currently looks (people change over the 10 yr passport).

Another question I would have for the OP, did a supervisor get involved?  What exactly was the reason for denial that you were given?

The other possibility is that this is a troll post.  For some reason the OP photo looks very familiar - anyone else have that same thought?

What visa?

OP is US citizen...I do not think US would be issuing ESTA to US citizen.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Foreign born US citizens need a US passport to come back to the US.

ETA: I know I am slightly paranoid about forgetting to bring our US passports on a cruise with us, but I triple check my purse before leaving the house, then check again on the ride to the airport, at the airport, then again at the hotel.  Yes, it is clearly an overkill, but at least I am not the one at the pier with a passport from another country.

Not the only one, again. That is the one thing that is almost impossible to replace. So we check even after leaving the house. And use them to check in at the airport. Alway on one of us. Like you, constantly checking we have it to board.  

• Like 5

Something very similar happened on embarkation day for my Oasis cruise last year. This is the same cruise where my sister flew in day of and barely made the ship. While I was waiting for her, I struck up a conversation with a couple sitting on one of the benches outside the terminal. It was their first cruise, and the woman had a foreign passport and didn't realize she would also need her green card. They were lucky because they live 2 hours away and her father was able to swing by their house and pick up the green card. My sister and I boarded the ship at about 3:45pm, and they were still waiting. I saw them on the pool deck that evening and gave them big hugs. What a stressful experience!

Edited by LisaLisa87
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Foreign born US citizens need a US passport to come back to the US.

ETA: I know I am slightly paranoid about forgetting to bring our US passports on a cruise with us, but I triple check my purse before leaving the house, then check again on the ride to the airport, at the airport, then again at the hotel.  Yes, it is clearly an overkill, but at least I am not the one at the pier with a passport from another country.

This sounds like me!!!

• Like 4

This is not a RCI issue.  It's a CBP one.  Writing to Michael Bayley won't do anything.  If you don't have the correct documentation, that is on you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

What visa?

OP is US citizen...I do not think US would be issuing ESTA to US citizen.

Without their US passport in hand (real proof of US citizenship*), the default assumption is that the OP is Hungarian, because that is the passport they are traveling with.

OP states that he/she is a  US citizen, but apparently also has dual citizenship with Hungary.  OP stated that they were using their Hungarian passport to board the ship.  It may have been possible that whatever country the ship was visiting required a visa from passport holders from EU countries like Hungary.  If the visa was required, but the Hungarian passport did not have it, then it could/would be a full-stop denial of boarding.

On the other hand, the OP may have been trolling us, so none of this matters anyway.  ;  )

*FYI, a naturalized US citizen would need their unexpired US passport, or their original US Naturalization Certificate.  No photocopies accepted.

• Like 4

Thank you. I suspected we could use US Naturalization Certificate, but never risked not having our US passport. 
For us concept of traveling without passport was … foreign (no pun) 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

I'm not an Attorney, but I play one on TV.

A $ 3,000 lesson learned. Most people have had more expensive lessons in life. (Pets.com come to mind for anyone?)

Is that the pet insurance?

11 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

the point is that the cruise line won't let you on the ship to begin with if you don't bring it with you. Because you need it to get back to the US...

Not true for a US citizen on a closed loop cruise.

Just for the record...  I do have empathy for the OP no matter what their experience is cruising or on forums.  We had a calamity no to dissimilar back in Dec and thankfully we were able, at some expense, to rectify it before sailaway and everyone was on the ship as expected.  Albeit close...

• Like 4

Just because some tragic accident may happen and person will lose their passport doesn’t mean everyone can be allowed to travel without passports. 

A person who lost passport I believe must contact US embassy or something and get a new one to be able to return to US. 

25 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Just because some tragic accident may happen and person will lose their passport doesn’t mean everyone can be allowed to travel without passports. 

A person who lost passport I believe must contact US embassy or something and get a new one to be able to return to US. 

That is true but if on a cruise wait until the end of the cruise to contact the US embassy for a new one.

• Thanks 1

I do feel for the OP. No one wants to miss a holiday and be out of pocket due to their own admin error. I can understand how it can be messed up, esp for those of us with more then one passport. 

I would imagine the Hungarian passport neded a ESTA to go with it and the OP didnt have their other boarding docs, Birth cert, driving Licence etc for closed loop US trips. 

Lesson leart for all.