Hangover prevention?

coondog99

Despite the obvious of not drinking alcohol, does anyone have any experience or opinions about supplements to prevent or lessen the impacts of hangovers while cruising? eg Liquid IV, Bytox, etc.

Here are my ways to avoid searing hangovers:

Avoid drinks that you can't see through, are creamy or heavily sugared. All that sugar makes the hangover worse. 

Drink a bottle of Gatorade before bed time. 

Do not drink Tequila. Ever.

If you feel you are about to vomit don't fight it.

A large Bloody Mary with two shots of vodka for breakfast the next morning.  

Just...water. Excessive water. I drink quite a lot on vacation, and while I bring LiquidIV with me, I don't usually take it because I drink so much water. The rule, for me, is one water per one drink, and it works like a charm. I mean, get ready to visit the bathroom a lot because you're having double the drinks, but it's so worth it. 

• Like 1

Besides the idea of just drinking  in moderation and not getting stupid drunk in the first place, try drinking an 8 oz glass of water after any alcoholic drink. And if you do wake up with a hangover, eat a big, high fat breakfast along with a large quantity of non alcoholic fluids.

1l of water with an electrolyte replacement before bed. Make sure it isnt one filled with sugar. I find nuun to be easy to buy and easy to travel with. Here is another trick, prep it before you go out drinking and leave it in a place you can’t miss so you don’t forget to take it. 

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

Do not drink Tequila.

The problem with tequila is that much of what is sold is not really pure tequila.  Unless the bottle says it's 100% agave, you are drinking some deadly blended mix with probably 50% being distilled sugar cane and flavor additives.  Additionally, people tend to drink tequila many times in too sweet margaritas.  I prefer drinking tequila neat after dinner and not simply as a shot.

If you stick with a good brand of 100% blue agave-based tequila, you will do OK.  I am not saying it's as clean as vodka, but it's definitely not rock gut alcohol either.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Probably depends on the cruise line, but we have.  Along with soda and water.

I'll have to find out (NCL).  I prefer a Gatorade in the morning over water, and especially after a few too many drinks!

3 minutes ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

I'll have to find out (NCL).  I prefer a Gatorade in the morning over water, and especially after a few too many drinks!

Might I recommend Gatorade before you fall to sleep instead of when you wake up. That way you should wake up a bit more refreshed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Officially I believe with NCL the answer is no.  I know a number of years ago they specifically prohibited soda, water, and other non-alcoholic beverages from being brought on board and I am not aware of that changing.

2 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

1l of water with an electrolyte replacement before bed. Make sure it isnt one filled with sugar. I find nuun to be easy to buy and easy to travel with. Here is another trick, prep it before you go out drinking and leave it in a place you can’t miss so you don’t forget to take it. 

Excellent suggestion. There are many sugar free electrolyte powders on the market for those lines that won't allow you to bring sports drinks on board. 

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

The problem with tequila is that much of what is sold is not really pure tequila.  Unless the bottle says it's 100% agave, you are drinking some deadly blended mix with probably 50% being distilled sugar cane and flavor additives.  Additionally, people tend to drink tequila many times in too sweet margaritas.  I prefer drinking tequila neat after dinner and not simply as a shot.

If you stick with a good brand of 100% blue agave-based tequila, you will do OK.  I am not saying it's as clean as vodka, but it's definitely not rock gut alcohol either.  

And have a bowl of menudo for next morning's breakfast!
This Authentic Mexican Menudo Recipe is as Mexican as it gets and you will be surprise how good it is!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Perhaps not a bad plan but may be hard to find on board?  JMO but I would prefer pozole - not a fan of tripe.

We had a favorite place near Lake Tahoe where they put hominy in their menudo. Perfect! And, hey, maybe if they had some Mexican Sunday ports 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Excellent suggestion. There are many sugar free electrolyte powders on the market for those lines that won't allow you to bring sports drinks on board. 

Lots of options. The sugar filled options like Gatorade can cause an upset stomach so looking at Nuun or Eload or other things on the market is a safer bet.

Nuun is sold as tablets in a tube, you just pop on in your water bottle. So much easier to travel with than a big pack of bottles.

3 hours ago, clo said:

And have a bowl of menudo for next morning's breakfast!

Good menudo is tough to find as tripe needs to be cleaned well.  I only will try menudo in restaurants where someone has specifically recommended it.  I am sure

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Perhaps not a bad plan but may be hard to find on board?  JMO but I would prefer pozole - not a fan of tripe.

I definitely agree with this perspective.  We make pozole at home and it's a great anytime. 

For a hangover, my preference in Mexico would be to get birria assuming I was hungry.  

Edited by SelectSys

3 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Good menudo is tough to find as tripe needs to be cleaned well.  I only will try menudo in restaurants where someone has specifically recommended it.  I am sure

This place the menudo was made only by the wife of the couple who had owned the place for decades. If she wasn't available to make it, then it wasn't served.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

For a hangover, my preference in Mexico would be to get birria assuming I was hungry.  

Made with goat please! I can only find it made with beef here in the US.