Celebrity vs Royal Caribbean--those who've sailed both, thoughts?

rrraydon

I've always sailed Royal Caribbean. Recently, I've decided to start booking solo cruises every other month. (My first solo is in April as I leave on Anthem in a few weeks--woohoo!)

I've booked a few more solos for the year on various RC ships and am considering booking a solo on Celebrity's Reflection. I'm D+ on RC and understand that equates to Elite on Celebrity. What are some of the major amenities you enjoyed on Celebrity under the Elite status (if you have that status)?

Also, what are your comparisons of the two lines? Which of the two lines do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your feedback. 

We are also D+ / Elite.  When we first started cruising and our family was young, RCCL was the choice as families is their primary demographics and their mainly mega ships are well oriented towards that with very good children's club programs and activities venues.  Now that they are all adults we cruise with Celebrity for the opposite reasons as their primary demographics is adults 50+ with very few children and non of the related activities and venues. 

The entertainment with the Aqua Theater and Ice Show is more diverse and very good with RCCL.  Celebrity is more traditional with the ship cast and highliners but is also very good.  Eden on Apex class ships is very similar to Two70 on RCCL on Quantum class ships.

As @CruiserBruce mentioned, Celebrity is more upscale with smaller mid sized ships with less passengers and a more refined cruise atmosphere, very good dining, in particular with their specialty restaurants.  Their base fare is somewhat higher in our experience than RCCL, but they offer both standard fares with beverage packages and wifi separate, and all inclusive fares that include the standard beverage and wifi packages, with premium packages at an upcharge.  Gratuities are separate with both pricing programs.  Really, the two lines are polar opposites, and that difference now is the primary attraction to us.

Both lines IMO are equally oriented towards solo cruisers, however Celebrity's Apex class ships have dedicated veranda solo staterooms that are a little smaller than standard but are priced measurably less than the typical 100% less port fees and taxes supplement for solo passengers in standard staterooms

RCCL's loyalty program is the stronger of the two and their are no elite benefits that exceed that of RCCL and overall it is not as attractive. (Compare the two on each website).  As example, with RCCL at D+ you receive 5 drink's per day every day at anytime at no charge, whereas with Celebrity there is a cocktail hour that runs between 5 - 7 pm commencing on day 2 that, when they enforce it, is supposed to be limited to 3 drinks during that time.  Celebrity also does not have a dedicated loyalty lounge for elite members whereas RCCL has the Crown Lounge. 

These differences only impact us with regards to whether or not Celebrity's AI fares are attractive on any given cruise for the option of the beverage package. However they are the only two lines that I am aware of that offer direct reciprocity between their loyalty programs, which IMO is attractive.  In particular for Elite and higher with Celebrity sailing on RCCL.

Between the two, overall, while we do still cruise with RCCL, our primary choice now is Celebrity.  And our ship class preference would be Solstice or Apex classes.  Millennium class, while attractive and well maintained as smaller ships, IMO are getting a bit old and somewhat tired. (Not unlike Vision and some other RCCL ship classes).

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Rccl gives you way more perks than celebrity, we are also diamond plus. Elite I believe will give you a 5 to 7 happy hour with limited drinks . I only did Refection class once a long time ago , pretty ship , better buffet than rccl but rccl has superior entertainment. Celebrity happy hour is not included on embarkation day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We are also D+ / Elite.  When we first started cruising and our family was young, RCCL was the choice as families is their primary demographics and their mainly mega ships are well oriented towards that with very good children's club programs and activities venues.  Now that they are all adults we cruise with Celebrity for the opposite reasons as their primary demographics is adults 50+ with very few children and non of the related activities and venues. 

The entertainment with the Aqua Theater and Ice Show is more diverse and very good with RCCL.  Celebrity is more traditional with the ship cast and highliners but is also very good.  Eden on Apex class ships is very similar to Two70 on RCCL on Quantum class ships.

As @CruiserBruce mentioned, Celebrity is more upscale with smaller mid sized ships with less passengers and a more refined cruise atmosphere, very good dining, in particular with their specialty restaurants.  Their base fare is somewhat higher in our experience than RCCL, but they offer both standard fares with beverage packages and wifi separate, and all inclusive fares that include the standard beverage and wifi packages, with premium packages at an upcharge.  Gratuities are separate with both pricing programs.  Really, the two lines are polar opposites, and that difference now is the primary attraction to us.

Both lines IMO are equally oriented towards solo cruisers, however Celebrity's Apex class ships have dedicated veranda solo staterooms that are a little smaller than standard but are priced measurably less than the typical 100% less port fees and taxes supplement for solo passengers in standard staterooms

RCCL's loyalty program is the stronger of the two and their are no elite benefits that exceed that of RCCL and overall it is not as attractive. (Compare the two on each website).  As example, with RCCL at D+ you receive 5 drink's per day every day at anytime at no charge, whereas with Celebrity there is a cocktail hour that runs between 5 - 7 pm commencing on day 2 that, when they enforce it, is supposed to be limited to 3 drinks during that time.  Celebrity also does not have a dedicated loyalty lounge for elite members whereas RCCL has the Crown Lounge. 

These differences only impact us with regards to whether or not Celebrity's AI fares are attractive on any given cruise for the option of the beverage package. However they are the only two lines that I am aware of that offer direct reciprocity between their loyalty programs, which IMO is attractive.  In particular for Elite and higher with Celebrity sailing on RCCL.

Between the two, overall, while we do still cruise with RCCL, our primary choice now is Celebrity.  And our ship class preference would be Solstice or Apex classes.  Millennium class, while attractive and well maintained as smaller ships, IMO are getting a bit old and somewhat tired. (Not unlike Vision and some other RCCL ship classes).

@leaveitallbehind...you are spot on.

* We love both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Back in the day, we thought Celebrity had better loyalty perks...access to Michael's Club for Elites, free laundry at Elite versus D+ for Royal, served free champagne when boarding, and mimosas/bellinis/champagne for breakfast...and all the other perks. RCCL beats all of these hands down.

• Thanks 1

As a solo, my cruises on Celebrity have been enjoyable. I've not been on RCCL in years, so I don't feel I can compare the two. 

However, I just wanted to advise that Celebrity recently have gotten some bad publicity for charging solos more than the combined rate for two people in a cabin. So I would advise if you are looking at X to price it out both as a solo cruiser and as two people in a cabin. Just for purposes and comparison. You may still find the cruise a good deal for you -- and that's fine. I just don't think it is an ethical practice and probably won't sail with them again until I'm sure they've addressed it. 

(After receiving much negative feedback and some slaps from media, X execs have said they are walking back the price inequity in "about 75-80%" of cruises. Hmmm....so they are still overcharging solos on 20-25% of them, then?)

51 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

As a solo, my cruises on Celebrity have been enjoyable. I've not been on RCCL in years, so I don't feel I can compare the two. 

However, I just wanted to advise that Celebrity recently have gotten some bad publicity for charging solos more than the combined rate for two people in a cabin. So I would advise if you are looking at X to price it out both as a solo cruiser and as two people in a cabin. Just for purposes and comparison. You may still find the cruise a good deal for you...

You and I have been down this road in what I felt was fair and honest discussion with both of us and in an effort to find objectivity in the discussion.  I agree there has been bad press on solo pricing with Celebrity, but I also think the best advice is that which you just gave in that the OP should - either through a travel agent, Celebrity directly, or via the Celebrity website - check the specific itinerary(s) that they are interested in and secure solo pricing mixes for their own direct comparison.  That will provide the reality of what they would actually pay as a solo and they can then decide if it is at an acceptable budget for them.

My first comment on this site, so please be gentle 🙂

I've been on two RCCL cruises and one with Celebrity. I know people love RCCL, but both of my experiences (Caribbean both times, two different ships) were not great. I wrote off the first as a fluke, but after the second time, I was pretty disappointed. My husband and I went on an Alaska cruise with Celebrity last year, though, and had a *great* experience. Service was *way* better -- that was the main difference. Everything ran more smoothly, staff members were great, and we didn't run into any of the annoyances of both of my RCCL cruises (every soda machine broken or mostly empty, extremely poor communication about cancelled shore excursions, patchy wifi...). The differences made it far more relaxing, and we've booked another one with them for later this year.

I don't see myself going on an RCCL cruise again, but I'd recommend Celebrity to anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ariake76:  Welcome to Cruise Critic!  I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I don't have a lot of experience with Royal, just two total cruises so far - and both on charters.  I have another charter coming up with them in two weeks, and that might give me another look at how their cruises work.  I did see enough from them that I booked a 19-day transpacific with them that will be sailing later this year.  Overall, I think Royal is all right, not much better or worse than the other mainstream lines.  Again, I might feel differently about them next month.

I've always liked Celebrity.  They've always seemed like a more refined version of the mainstream lines.  Then again, I don't have a lot of experience with them either - just three "regular" cruises and two charters, with another charter coming up in a month's time.

• Like 1

We have been on about 7 Royals and 2 Celebrity cruises. We have always enjoyed Royal's longer cruises, primarily transatlantic and transpacific crossings. The Anthem OTS was sensational in 2024. Even in our 70s, we enjoyed the I-FLY and Dodgem cars.

We booked a TA on the Constellation for a 2023 spring sailing and thought it was an exceptional cruise. The food was a step up, and the crew and fellow passengers were great. This was going to be our new, favorite cruise line, that is, until we went on another Celebrity cruise this past month.

We traveled on the Celebrity Silhouette on a 10 day Southern Caribbean. This sailing was quite disappointing, especially in the food and entertainment areas. The menus were blah, and so was much of the food. The fellow passengers, while all polite and nice, were more like HAL (on the much older side). There were about 12 scooters/chairs parked by each dining room. The ship pretty much closed down after 10 PM.  The ship itself is not attractive in any way. I had never seen such boring, strange artwork. The Lawn Club's lawn has seen better days (I hope) and was rarely used.

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

...and 2 Celebrity cruises.

The fellow passengers, while all polite and nice, were more like HAL (on the much older side). There were about 12 scooters/chairs parked by each dining room. The ship pretty much closed down after 10 PM.

I am not questioning your experience on this one Celebrity cruise but only want to point out a different perspective based on a much broader sample size.  You are a frequent poster with, IMO, valuable contributions to CC.

We have been on about 15 Celebrity cruises, and while there has been a broad range of ages on board from families with children (though not their primary demographics, Celebrity does offer a children's program for the small percentage of children who are on board) to the older HAL demographics you point out, that demographic is not the typical or primary demographic on board.  In our experience, the more typical ages are the 50+ as is their target demographics.  The older set that you experienced is more typically the lesser group within that 50+ age group.  There have been many younger couples as well. 

Any ship can have any age group on board and I am certainly not disputing your experience.  We have seen your description in a fairly large scale on RCCL as well even though their target demographics are families with children.  I am just suggesting that it is not typical in our experience with Celebrity, and that your sample size of one cruise out of two total may not be representative of the typical demographics. It is also a shame that your experience with that cruise was not favorable as that, in our experience, has also not been the normal case.

Again, not challenging your experience, just suggesting an alternate view based on a larger sample size.  

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

However, I just wanted to advise that Celebrity recently have gotten some bad publicity for charging solos more than the combined rate for two people in a cabin. So I would advise if you are looking at X to price it out both as a solo cruiser and as two people in a cabin. Just for purposes and comparison. You may still find the cruise a good deal for you -- and that's fine. I just don't think it is an ethical practice and probably won't sail with them again until I'm sure they've addressed it. 

Are we still on this? We are past the days of asking if the price and benefits are worth it to you as the consumer. Now it's important for "purposes" to reverse-engineer scenarios that don't apply to you to see if it meets an "equation of equity." This absolutely sounds on-par with 2024 internet advice. 

I have only been Celebrity but have loved all cruises. Love the sunset bars, at the back of the ship (I know thats not what its called, before the pedants call me out)  and the Martini bar is great too.

And I have to say Reflection is my favourite ship. Adored my time on there. Also been on Edge and Beyond.

I want to sail on Reflection again.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I am not questioning your experience on this one Celebrity cruise but only want to point out a different perspective based on a much broader sample size.  You are a frequent poster with, IMO, valuable contributions to CC.

We have been on about 15 Celebrity cruises, and while there has been a broad range of ages on board from families with children (though not their primary demographics, Celebrity does offer a children's program for the small percentage of children who are on board) to the older HAL demographics you point out, that demographic is not the typical or primary demographic on board.  In our experience, the more typical ages are the 50+ as is their target demographics.  The older set that you experienced is more typically the lesser group within that 50+ age group.  There have been many younger couples as well. 

Any ship can have any age group on board and I am certainly not disputing your experience.  We have seen your description in a fairly large scale on RCCL as well even though their target demographics are families with children.  I am just suggesting that it is not typical in our experience with Celebrity, and that your sample size of one cruise out of two total may not be representative of the typical demographics. It is also a shame that your experience with that cruise was not favorable as that, in our experience, has also not been the normal case.

Again, not challenging your experience, just suggesting an alternate view based on a larger sample size.  

We have cruised on about seven cruise lines, so we have a lot to compare it to. There were about five children onboard, and we were about the average age. At least half were older than us. 

I believe that thing that affects all cruise lines are the cutbacks seen on almost all cruiselines over the years. The standards for many have decreased.

We hope that our May TA on Celebrity will win us back. 

Also Diamond+ and Elite.

We have only cruised with Royal, Celebrity, and Cunard.

Up until this past year we were perfectly fine with both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

In 2023 we spent 24 nights on Celebrity Summit and then 22 nights on Royal Caribbean Jewel. These were our first cruises post COVID. The experience was so much better on Royal in all service areas, food was better on Royal, shows were better also. Since D+ gives more perks than Elite, we probably will not book again on Celebrity. As noted, in both cases these were older ships. 

2 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

Also Diamond+ and Elite.

We have only cruised with Royal, Celebrity, and Cunard.

Up until this past year we were perfectly fine with both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

In 2023 we spent 24 nights on Celebrity Summit and then 22 nights on Royal Caribbean Jewel. These were our first cruises post COVID. The experience was so much better on Royal in all service areas, food was better on Royal, shows were better also. Since D+ gives more perks than Elite, we probably will not book again on Celebrity. As noted, in both cases these were older ships. 

Our only issue with RCCL is the number of children and the amusement park atmosphere of, in particular, the Quantum, Oasis, and Icon class ships. That was fine when our children were young, but 35+ cruises later, not so much.  Celebrity having none of that is more appealing in that regard.  I am interpreting that your cruises were single itineraries each, which would definitely mitigate that issue with RCCL! 

Agree the shows are better with RCCL, although with the Apex class ships, Eden being very similar to Two70 on RCCL Quantum class ships brings that entertainment up quite a bit.  Disagree in general with the food quality comment, but that is always subjective so it is what it is.  Although the older Summit is lacking somewhat, in particular with limited specialty restaurant options, so with that ship I would tend to agree.

But I agree that the older ships you mention would likely provide me with the same result you had as well.  Most of our Celebrity experience is on Solstice class ships which are IMO a significant step up from the older Celebrity Millennium class, of which Summit is one.

Appreciate your perspective.

• Like 2

Been on lots of cruises with both Celebrity and RCCL and have had Elite/Diamond status for years now. When we have taken our grandkids on cruises, we chose RCCL as, mentioned before, there are lots more activities for them. (The two of us just got off a nine day cruise on Celebrity to the ABC islands and there were a total of 4 children aboard...half of them babies). Also, I love RCCL salad buffets during sea days.  However, for just my husband and myself, we usually go with Celebrity.  We are not big drinkers, and can't even finish 2 of the 3 free drinks apiece offered with our status. It is definitely a more quiet passenger vibe, but we can't stay up late anymore even if we wanted to do so. Never have we been awakened on Celebrity by noisy folks in the hallway at night, but that was not always the case with RCCL. Otherwise, I think both lines provide a good cruise experience.

• Like 2

I think it is more big ship vs small ship as opposed to Celebrity vs RCCI.   Take similar size ships and to me the experiences are pretty similar overall.   Take an RCI mega ship and it is a different experience for sure.  

I have not been on Celebrity Edge class, so don't know how those ships compare.  

42 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Edge class compares very similarly physically to Solstice class ships as follows:

Solstice:  Gross tonnage - 129,000; Length - 1,033 ft; Passengers - 2,850

Edge:  Gross tonnage - 131,000; Length - 1,004 ft.; Passengers - 2,900

They are the largest ship classes in Celebrity's fleet, but both mid-sized ships compared to the RCCL Quantum, Oasis, and Icon class mega ships, as you suggest.

Edge class ships are more cutting edge, upscale designs compared to Solstice, with Edge offering Eden as their upscale high tech entertainment venue, which is very similar to Two70 on RCCL's Quantum class ships.  They also introduced the "Magic Carpet", which is a multi-purpose venue that is physically cantilevered on the starboard side of the ship and traverses through 13 decks.  Quite unique!

IMO I liken the difference between Celebrity Edge and Solstice to that as between Solstice and Millennium class ships. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

Edge class compares very similarly physically to Solstice class ships as follows:

Solstice:  Gross tonnage - 129,000; Length - 1,033 ft; Passengers - 2,850

Edge:  Gross tonnage - 131,000; Length - 1,004 ft.; Passengers - 2,900

They are the largest ship classes in Celebrity's fleet, but both mid-sized ships compared to the RCCL Quantum, Oasis, and Icon class mega ships, as you suggest.

Edge class ships are more cutting edge, upscale designs compared to Solstice, with Edge offering Eden as their upscale high tech entertainment venue, which is very similar to Two70 on RCCL's Quantum class ships.  They also introduced the "Magic Carpet", which is a multi-purpose venue that is physically cantilevered on the starboard side of the ship and traverses through 13 decks.  Quite unique!

IMO I liken the difference between Celebrity Edge and Solstice to that as between Solstice and Millennium class ships. 

I only did Solstice once about 11 years ago , thought entertainment was pretty bad , loved entertainment on edge and beyond. The other huge difference is if you book suites edge class has a huge advantage because of outside retreat with pool and bar . 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 6:37 PM, ldubs said:

I think it is more big ship vs small ship as opposed to Celebrity vs RCCI.   Take similar size ships and to me the experiences are pretty similar overall.   Take an RCI mega ship and it is a different experience for sure.  

Surely the fact the RCI ships are overrun with little creatures is a factor too?

I moaned about there being a couple of hundred on Beyond last year. Lol

And yes I counted them all

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Which, although being somewhat of a high number Celebrity, is a far cry from the 1,000 or more experienced on Oasis class ships on some sailings.

Although I tried, my feeble brain shut down during the confirmation count forcing me to the nearest bar........(maybe not such a terrible thing - LOL)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Surely the fact the RCI ships are overrun with little creatures is a factor too?

You have to count fast.  The little urchins are quick.  

To answer your question, yes to some it is a factor.  Not so much to me.  I might even get a kick out of watching the shenanigans of the artful dodgers.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Which, although being somewhat of a high number Celebrity, is a far cry from the 1,000 or more experienced on Oasis class ships on some sailings.

Although I tried, my feeble brain shut down during the confirmation count forcing me to the nearest bar........(maybe not such a terrible thing - LOL)

Bars on the Oasis class.  Nothing better than bellying up to the bar for a whiskey sour and chatting it up with the 7 year old on the next bar stool.  😀

• Haha 2