The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday June 28th, 2024

richwmn

Happy Friday! Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Not as hot today. Highs in the 80s with sun. I will have to water the vegetables today. I also have a massage scheduled for today which I desperately need. Getting all of my grading done today so that I can focus on completing my dissertation this weekend. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

We Made It Its Finally Friday Friday Humor Funny Cat Pictures Tgif Images

Lightning Cat | Мемы про котов, Котята, Самые милые животные

• Like 24

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Storms came through late afternoon yesterday and stayed until about 7pm. We did not get the strong winds and hail that was all around us. Suppose to be a repeat today.

Being Lightening aware is very important. Cant believe the number of people that stay on the beach and the golf course even when the sirens are going off. As a former ER nurse, I saw the result of those that ignored the warnings.

Never been to todays port. 

Got an email today from Luggage Forward stating no air tags. I was surprised because I asked about them when booking and told it was fine.

Last day of the month so counting money day at the library. Then lunch with friends. Golf early tomorrow morning.

Have a great weekend

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 24

Good early morning and thanks all!    My grandmother was very frightened of lightening storms as when she was a young girl, someone was struck by lightning at the dinner table and killed.   @marshhawk ooh, your poor mother! 
@smitty34877 yikes on the oxygen.  Things always are worse in the night.  Hoping you have some days of calm. 
@kazu hope all goes well with Ivan’s appointments.  
@Vict0riann let the healing begin!

We found this beautiful goldfinch just before all the rain.

DSC_2317.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 4

@kazu 🤞🙏 Ivan's visit is uneventful.

@1ANGELCAT I hope you learn the identity of your new neurologist and that you like them.

@Nickelpenny I hope your new sutures hold and you're able to find another way to relax your back since standing under a direct water stream seems to be out.

Hugs @Vict0riann glad you are on the road to recovery.

Nutritionist called this morning while I was on a work call. I hope when I call her back later today she tells me we can do all virtual appointments; surely she doesn't need to physically see me. Should be interesting what she recommends since we don't know what kind of stones I have. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the Fleet Report and Daily.  I’ll celebrate today’s days.  Cap locks can be annoying but can also be useful.   Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, and Tana. Welcome home Ann.

Interesting quote by Gaiman.  Neither part is universally true, but both have their strong points.  The only way never to make a mistake is to never do anything.

I was close to today’s destination on my 2013 Prinsendam Amazon cruise when we visited Macapa, but had no awareness of the river.
A great day in WW1 History.

I’ll pass on today’s meal.  My alternative is Grilled Spruce Hen and Strawberry Mille-Feulle as served as a Mariner Brunch on MS Prinsendam June 10, 2015.    

The next few days should not be brutally hot.  I have done my major errand for Wegmans and will only be out briefly to deal with the trash can after the trash is picked up..

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is currently 62°F, windy and partly sunny.

It is bad internet etiquette to write in capitals which is what today's day is about.

Good other 2 days but confused with the quote.

Never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for all who are unwell.

I wish everyone a happy day.

Screenshot_20240628_112434.jpg

IMG_20240628_103003.jpg

Where’s the cupcake?

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Cantarito cocktail:

If you love a good Paloma, you might just find a new favorite cocktail in the Cantarito, a similar drink that adds more citrus juices and a pinch of salt to the refreshing mix of tequila, lime juice, and grapefruit soda. The most distinguishing feature of the cocktail, however, is its namesake clay drinking vessel.

A diminutive of the Spanish word for pitcher, cántaro, the cantarito is a small earthenware clay jug that originated in Jalisco, the Mexican state where tequila is produced. The cántaro was once used for gathering and storing water; the smaller version is now most often a vessel for tequila and other drinks, including pulque, aguas frescas, chicha, Micheladas, and, of course, its eponymous cocktail.
Ingredients:
Tajin seasoning (for rim)
2 oz. reposado tequila
3/4 oz. grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
3/4 oz. orange juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 oz. lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 pinch salt
Grapefruit soda, chilled, to top (about 3 oz.)
Garnish: lime wedge

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 6.21.58 AM.png

I guess since this drink contains tequila, I can say, one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor!

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

Good morning. Slept in later than usual. My face is looking a little rough this morning because of all the freezing at the dermatologist’s earlier this week. Folks will just have to live with it. My doctors’s appointment went well and I was given a list of needed routine blood test before next visit.

So I need to go to get a few grocery’s this morning to get me through the weekend.

@Vict0riann Was happy to hear all went well with your surgery.

Life is pretty quiet here but I’m enjoying my freedom of choosing “Guy flicks” on Prime and Netflicks.

It’s currently 85 degrees and humidity is up there as evidenced by some moisture on some windows. It’s the season that a pop up rain shower is quite possible every day and of course we keep a close eye on the tropics.

Enough Blah chatter from me. Have a great day and upcoming weekend.

Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Cool this morning (62F) but warming... high forecast for 82F and no rain today. That is ok.... we got a whole series of hard showers yesterday. My lawn was thrilled. More showery days forecast starting Sunday, so the sprinkler system stays off for awhile.

It should be a very quiet day for me.... just the usual slowly clearing out. Need to haul more papers to the recycle bin (wish my neighbors would break down their boxes). Will take dogs for a walk this morning while it it still cool and that is it. Oh yes, and look at some cruises although right now I really don't know what I want to do. Speak about being at lose ends.....

Susan

• Like 26

Good morning, 

Thank you all so much for all the kind thoughts and virtual hugs yesterday. It was a good day and it ended up being just what I wanted it to be. As I told you yesterday my DS, DBIL, and DSIL and her husband and I went out for Mexican food at a local place. DD DH took me there for the first time when I came to meet his family. @bennybear it's on the west side of Mount Vernon and called Mexico Cafe. Anyway, we had a lovely lunch, great conversation, some good memories of DD DH (and a few tears on my part - but not many) and it was a perfect way to remember and honor him on the first year anniversary. It was my treat to them all and DS really enjoyed his time with his aunt and uncles as well. 

Meanwhile we're in for a streak of nice sunny weather and not too hot. I sail on the Westerdam in 9 days (July 7) so have to start getting ready. Today is a few errands, banking and the pool. 

Happy Friday!

Karen

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I rarely use the CAP LOCK as that's considered shouting online, Lightning safety is important and I try to manage Logistics. Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal and drink, and take the shiraz. I haven't been to Barra Norte River. A good day in history.

It's going to be a nice day, warm and sunny. Already 73F. Storms this weekend, possibly severe. Unfortunately I woke up with a uveitis flare in my right eye, so I'm doing hourly drops. This evening I'm going to a 70th Anniversary celebration. When I first came here, I had a mentor at work, who became a friend and later associate. I was alone, without days off to go home for many holidays, so he invited me to join his family for many holiday celebrations. I became like their 5th child. He will be 97 this fall, and his wife is a few years younger. Their 4 kids will be there (3 are local). So, BFF will make his first social outing since the leg fracture. He will wear long pants for the first time, since the boot can go over them. We're going to try using the knee scooter, so I'm working on the logistics of getting him in the car and into the country club where we'll be going. Also I'm a little anxious about driving at night afterwards, but I'll manage.

@Vict0riann I'm glad you came home yesterday and felt like having pizza. Prayers for not much pain today.

@StLouisCruisers Have a relaxing sea day.

@kazu Good luck with Ivan at the vet; I'm sorry to hear that he needs dental work. 

@cat shepard Stay safe at the food bank.

@1ANGELCAT Good luck with the botox today and I hope you find out who's replacing your Neurologist.

@RMLincoln I'm glad DGD and her DH are making progress with the cleanup, and hopefully the insurance deductibles aren't too high. Enjoy the phone meeting with your church ladies today. 

@smitty34877 I'm impressed with your culinary skills! Oh no on the oxygen concentrator not working last night, and thankfulness for the backup tanks. 

@marshhawk Sorry to hear about the brownouts, with the computer crashing and loss of phone connection while you were working. Wow on your DM's experience with lightning and storms. 

@Seasick Sailor Prayers for your friend Belinda with her injured shoulder.

@Denise T Good luck with finishing your dissertation this weekend.

@bennybear What a beautiful bird and great photo.

@Haljo1935 I'm glad you saw the Nephrologist, who wants to find out the type of stones.

@luvteaching It sounds like your outing yesterday was a great way to remember and honor your DD DH.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

A thought about lightning and thunder.  If you see lightning strike and a few seconds later hear the thunder, you should know that sound travels at about 5 seconds per mile.  So if it took about ten seconds after the lightning flash to hear the thunder, it struck about two miles from you.

Ray

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

What we need is a National Release Your Caps Day. As an editor I spent a lot of time replacing both all caps and bold type with italics. A school contemporary of mine was killed by lightning, on a golf course.

I would like zucchini gnocchi and you can deliver them at 6:30 p.m., please. No on the drink. Syrah/Shiraz grown in the FL is more like that from the Rhone than from Australia, but we'll try the 2022 from Atwater Vineyards, $45. ""An unapologetically spicy Syrah, it explodes with ground peppercorn, clove and bay leaf. Only later do you notice the fresh cranberry and cherry fruit is very much there, too. A seam of racy acidity slices and dices the midweight palate. Here the tart red fruit really shines, succulent with a cool-climate crunch, tied in a bow with sappy, spice-flecked tannins," according to Wine Enthusiast.

Screenshot2024-06-28at11-58-37GlasbergenCartoonsbyRandyGlasbergenforJune282024-GoComics.png.4bbcafa3ececac6a1a5a9138979a7b63.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 5

Awh, today is Friday - just another day for me, which seems weird; I wake up and always have to look at my computer/phone to see what day it is!  Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I hate when all caps are used and I am terrified of lightening so safety there is so important, as well as logistics day.  I love the quote.  I have tried so many times to make gnocchi and I just can't so I guess I will just have to buy pre-made and use it in the recipes (I like the third one).  the drink and wine sound very interesting.  I passed Barre Norte in February but my pics don't distinguish the place.  Great day in history.

IMG_7960.thumb.JPG.3ed299222bbd567ae164d7373eb99ef3.JPG

The monsoons are staying a little south of Tucson but some parts of the city may get thunderstorms today.  It has been staying pretty warm overnight with it only getting down to ~85F.  We will be over 100F again today with the humidity up a tad compared to yesterday. I hate not being active and this has put me into a sort of funk and the warmer temperatures don't help!

IMG_7968.JPG.62afe8c89cececaae1aec6cefcf5f08c.JPG

I did go out to eat yesterday (using one of my certificates) and while I am not overly enthusiastic of the food there, the atmosphere is nice and I did try something different from the first time - chicken enfrijoladas with Spanish rice and refried beans. I did eat all of it (as it was my main meal of the day) but I guess I prefer more Sonoran Mexican food.  And the Margarita was a little too sweet for me though they do have a pretty good salsa.  But it only cost me ~$4 after using my certificate so  it was worth it!  🙂  One more certificate to go!

IMG_7967.JPG.2f56164175d176e9de3cf6a8961e22d3.JPG

@Vict0riann I am glad you are ok after your surgery and just take it easy!!  (don't follow my example!!  LOL!!)

IMG_7966.thumb.JPG.554ca554f87ccfada77219a5ee5042e7.JPG

Thoughts for all who need more support and cheers for those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

13 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

A thought about lightning and thunder.  If you see lightning strike and a few seconds later hear the thunder, you should know that sound travels at about 5 seconds per mile.  So if it took about ten seconds after the lightning flash to hear the thunder, it struck about two miles from you.

Ray

When I worked as a lifeguard in my teens, if we heard thunder after counting to 20, we could close the pool.  (and an incident during this time is one of the reasons I am terrified of lightening!!)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, Dailyites!  I'm not crazy about lightning, either!  When we lived in Virginia, near the top of a hill ("Tallwood Terrace") a tree across the road was struck by lightning and it stripped all the branches down one side - we had an even taller tree than the one that was struck, right outside our bedroom window, so we had it cut down.  Here, we very seldom get thunder and lightning storms, in the last 30 years maybe 10 times, if that.  

I had a good night, very comfortable, and I just took some Tylenol this morning, I imagine all the hospital drugs have worn off by now.  Pat has an ECG and bloodwork this morning, and then hopefully next week the cardiologist will tell us what is in his future - he is definitely slowing down and much more tired and quickly breathless.  

DD sent me a couple of funnies.

IMG_1325.thumb.jpg.425589b2a1af0513887f9afc02629015.jpg

IMG_1324.thumb.jpg.19235338cad805c5a5b435c832289c5e.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

Good morning and Happy Friday from a muggy Tucson. 

We were very aware of lightning safety last night while in the pool. We could hear thunder so got out but got back in when it dissipated. Later, we had a huge downpour which stopped just as quickly as it started. 

I only use cap locks when using an acronym or a title.  I’ll pass on all the rest. I prefer real gnocchi but don’t have it often. 

Jacqui @kazu, I hope everything goes well with Ivan’s appointment today and his dental surgery. I didn’t used to get Blue’s teeth cleaned very often until he lost a lot of teeth. Now I schedule it every 4 months. 

Ann @Vict0riann, I hope you had a good nights sleep and are feeling good and not too sore. Continue healing!

Rich @richwmn, I saw your post about your upcoming cruises. How exciting!  I wish I could join you for trivia!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

It should be a nice day, sunny and around 70 F.  Hope to get out to do some gardening.  Yesterday I discovered that *overnight* slugs ate my whole Basil plant. 😞 Basil supposedly repels slugs, but I saw the slime....I think we have mutant slugs here. 😞  

Unless I have to type something like UPS etc., I never use all caps as it's considered bad netiquette.  Knock on wood, we've never experienced a close-by lightening strike.  I'll pass on the wine and gnocchi, would try the drink, and haven't been to the port.

@Vict0riann So glad you're doing well!

@luvteaching I'm happy to hear that you had a good day yesterday with your family.  I'm pretty sure I've been to Mexico Cafe.

@Sharon in AZ I made the pork chops last night!  But I missed where you said you marinate them overnight and wish I had done that.  I marinated them for the hour called for in the recipe and think they needed longer.  It was tasty though 🙂  I used some fresh lemon thyme and parsley. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yesterday I discovered that *overnight* slugs ate my whole Basil plant. 😞 Basil supposedly repels slugs, but I saw the slime....I think we have mutant slugs here

My experience is that slugs love basil. You can thwart them by growing it in containers.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

My experience is that slugs love basil. You can thwart them by growing it in containers.

It is in a container. 🤔 So strange because they never bothered it before.  My flowers yes, but not the herbs.

For the next month at least I can always get basil from my DD's garden.  I'll be going there every week to water things while they're gone.  

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It should be a nice day, sunny and around 70 F.  Hope to get out to do some gardening.  Yesterday I discovered that *overnight* slugs ate my whole Basil plant. 😞 Basil supposedly repels slugs, but I saw the slime....I think we have mutant slugs here. 😞  

Unless I have to type something like UPS etc., I never use all caps as it's considered bad netiquette.  Knock on wood, we've never experienced a close-by lightening strike.  I'll pass on the wine and gnocchi, would try the drink, and haven't been to the port.

@Vict0riann So glad you're doing well!

@luvteaching I'm happy to hear that you had a good day yesterday with your family.  I'm pretty sure I've been to Mexico Cafe.

@Sharon in AZ I made the pork chops last night!  But I missed where you said you marinate them overnight and wish I had done that.  I marinated them for the hour called for in the recipe and think they needed longer.  It was tasty though 🙂  I used some fresh lemon thyme and parsley. 

Carolyn, yes overnight marinating is best. I have to admit that several times I’ve done two nights. I think it makes them more tender and flavorful. Glad you enjoyed them. 

I saw a slug near my basil plant and now need to go check it out. I didn’t know they can be so damaging. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1