Hurricane Beryl

I'm planning to head out of Galveston on the Harmony this Sunday, July 7. It's still too early to really know what's going to happen but there is the strong potential for the cruise to be effected by Beryl or whichever storm follows. I'm glad I'm local but still hoping the cruise happens and doesn't get cancelled. Honestly, I'd be thrilled if we were diverted towards ports near Florida!

Cruise ships can still drop off needed relief supplies. We didn't mind not being allowed off of the ship to know we were helping in some small way. 

Other times, when piers were destroyed but there was enough recovery, we would tender in. We couldn't wait to spend money.

• Like 5

It is bad.  Certainly a horrible situation for the victims.  While a disappointment to those who might miss a few port stops, hopefully they will understand and set high standards of sympathy for the victims.

Personally, if as you describe I was faced with the destruction half the scheduled ports, I would cancel. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cruisinfly said:

I'm planning to head out of Galveston on the Harmony this Sunday, July 7. It's still too early to really know what's going to happen but there is the strong potential for the cruise to be effected by Beryl or whichever storm follows. I'm glad I'm local but still hoping the cruise happens and doesn't get cancelled. Honestly, I'd be thrilled if we were diverted towards ports near Florida!

Starting slowing down some back down to 4, just saw possible it turning North but should be just Tropical storm when it hit's Yucatan.  Good Luck!

Yes, its a bad hurricane. But the implication in this post is that many islands are being destroyed. I think its premature to jump to that conclusion as yet.

And thus, what the cruise lines are going to do is also a bit premature. Especially as there aren't the huge numbers of cruise ships in the Caribbean that winter brings.

1 hour ago, cruisinfly said:

I’m getting on Mariner on Monday.  I guess we just have to wait and see.

29 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, its a bad hurricane. But the implication in this post is that many islands are being destroyed. I think its premature to jump to that conclusion as yet.

And thus, what the cruise lines are going to do is also a bit premature. Especially as there aren't the huge numbers of cruise ships in the Caribbean that winter brings.

I read the question as "what if" many popular stops on an itinerary are unaccessible as a result of Beryl.  Hopefully, as you say, further damage might be less severe.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wanna Be Retired said:

I’m getting on Mariner on Monday.  I guess we just have to wait and see.

Agreed. That's the risk we take when cruising during hurricane season. I think RCL takes a much bigger risk that we do, though. They potentially lose money when cruises are effected by hurricanes.

2 hours ago, cruisinfly said:

We're on after you.  I hope your cruise goes well.  Please post if they change your itinerary (curious what they'd change to). 

Appears to be a very rough hurricane season I know ships will divert to bypass areas . One of my wife coworkers had her car destroyed since it was parked in Galveston and that got a really bad hit , that was decades ago . A long time ago we had a cruise leaving from New Orleans and that got hit really bad and we were told they didn’t know where cruise would leave from, so we canceled and booked something else.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

It is bad.  Certainly a horrible situation for the victims.  While a disappointment to those who might miss a few port stops, hopefully they will understand and set high standards of sympathy for the victims.

Personally, if as you describe I was faced with the destruction half the scheduled ports, I would cancel. 

Cancelling is certainly an option. There could be a penalty (or not).  Alternate ports might not be available and other cruise ships/lines will be looking for as well. I think all cruise contracts state the itinerary is not guaranteed and neither is compensation for missed ports.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

It is bad, but so far, has not stalled on an island which would be worse.

Cruise lines are mostly wait and see. They don't want to make changes prematurely only to have the hurricane change direction and force them to change again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, George C said:

Appears to be a very rough hurricane season I know ships will divert to bypass areas . One of my wife coworkers had her car destroyed since it was parked in Galveston and that got a really bad hit , that was decades ago . A long time ago we had a cruise leaving from New Orleans and that got hit really bad and we were told they didn’t know where cruise would leave from, so we canceled and booked something else.

Me too. Hurricane Ike. We left sunday and friday night it made a unexpected turn north and hit Galveston.  I was on carnival conquest. Wasnt supposed to even hit the United stated, but it did.

6 month old car, with my collection of some very old collectable hawaii music I paid extra for because of the rarity. Never saw it or my car again. Just bought that Saturn from the showroom, 6 months before. I think the only brand brand showroom new car i ever bought. 

Carnival wouldnt let us cancel so I went. Dumped us in new orleans I had to get a meriam sized rental, I had my hc siter and her hc friend, with a larger walker contraption that wouldn't fit in a small compact rental. All on my dime. Never took a extra hc person again, too much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisinfly said:

The weather system after beryl looks to be becoming less and less organized and very lower probability of a named storm so that one won’t impact anything. Right now if it hits Texas it will Kelly be a weak tropical storm and shouldn’t really be near Galveston, most likely Harmony will be fine to get back in and leave on Sunday. Looks like the current sailing cut Roatan and just doing Cozumel and Costa Maya which means they are going to get in and out and head north to keep out of its way while getting back to Galveston.

Edited by wreckem2013
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisinfly said:

You'll be fine. By Sunday, Beryl will be a weak tropical storm far south of Galveston. You won't even notice her.

• Like 1

I love an ocean view but wouldn’t want to buy a house on the ocean , my brother had a couple of hundred dollars in damage for his house in Ft Myer a couple of years ago . One of my friends just built a new house on ocean in Texas had to pass lots of inspections but still had some flooding a month ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeeW said:

Same thing during covid restart.  We tried to spend more money onshore to help out the local businesses.

I would say that there may be ports where there's going to be nothing to shop for even if you can go ashore.

https://www.windy.com/-Waves-waves?waves,33.119,-76.069,5

Move the map around then click an area. Will show you wave heights. The area of the hurricane is vey small compared to the size of the Caribbean. Any area within a 100 miles of it the waves are only 10 ft tall, which is nothing for a cruise ship. 

Daughter is currently on the Enchantment out of Tampa.  They have been to Cozumel, and today was Roatan.  As they were leaving the island, businesses were boarding up their buildings.  The ship is porting in Belize tomorrow (Wednesday.)  

Their last port of call, Costa Maya, has been cancelled and will be an additional sea day.  I am not sure if that was to be on Thursday, or on the last day of the cruise (Friday.) 

My daughter and family were not planning on getting off in Belize because they had plans for Costa Maya.  Of course they are disappointed, but will now get off in Belize having no idea what to do!

7 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Daughter is currently on the Enchantment out of Tampa.  They have been to Cozumel, and today was Roatan.  As they were leaving the island, businesses were boarding up their buildings.  The ship is porting in Belize tomorrow (Wednesday.)  

Their last port of call, Costa Maya, has been cancelled and will be an additional sea day.  I am not sure if that was to be on Thursday, or on the last day of the cruise (Friday.) 

My daughter and family were not planning on getting off in Belize because they had plans for Costa Maya.  Of course they are disappointed, but will now get off in Belize having no idea what to do!

Tell them to book a ship's excursion.  Belize has it's own issues.

22 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We're on after you.  I hope your cruise goes well.  Please post if they change your itinerary (curious what they'd change to). 

Thank you for the well wishes. I'll post if I find out about any changes. Things are still a bit iffy but I think we have a good chance of cruising, somewhere, at least!

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.