What's the best piece of cruise advice you've ever been given?

3 hours ago, KBS1607 said:

It will be a while for us. The kitten in my photo is now 19. Two Scotties are ill. 

Oh, I totally understand and you have my sympathy. One time a petsitter had to put down Kate the Cat. She was likely near that age.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you've been on a cruise before:

Try not to make comparisons between cruise lines about how things are done. Each line is slightly different. Some do one thing better but another one might offer something different.

(Obviously I'm talking about small stuff, not dealbreaker-type stuff like cabin toilet not working...)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The best advice I ever received was the suggestion to drive to a cruise port or walk if possible .

When we cruise from NY City, we take a bus and then walk from the Port Authority. Hard to do though when we are cruising from a different port, especially one in Europe.

Best i can give, but think the prob already said,

1  Arrive a day early when flying in

2. Plan getting back at ship in time i plan to be onboard again normaly 1 hour b4 departure in ports.
3. If you book ferry's in port alway make sure you have a ferry booked to get you back in time (almost missed a departure cause o it once)

4. make sure if using a debit card that the ship accepts the debit card, not all debit cards are excepted

5. Be aware that the cruise excursions will be more expensive than booking them in port or on internet in advance, however booking in advance through internet keep in mind that the ship might change its route, so be sure cancellation is an option.

6. Be sure you know what is allowed to bring on board and what is not, and pack light.

• Like 3

For anyone who has never cruised previously but thought a long time or just thought of the idea recently about cruising, maybe joined cruise critic. Actually book a cruise. It is the only step you need to take to get started.

Regards John

• Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 5:03 PM, ontheweb said:

When we cruise from NY City, we take a bus and then walk from the Port Authority. Hard to do though when we are cruising from a different port, especially one in Europe.

That is why I said if possible.

18 hours ago, john watson said:

For anyone who has never cruised previously but thought a long time or just thought of the idea recently about cruising, maybe joined cruise critic. Actually book a cruise. It is the only step you need to take to get started.

Regards John

This is the best Best advice!  

• 2 weeks later...

Bring seasickness meds, even if you don't think you'll get seasick.

(I know I could probably have found them for more money onboard or visited the medical center, but the last thing I wanted to do at that point was move around the ship!)

On 9/29/2024 at 5:03 PM, ontheweb said:

I would like to watch you walk to Red Hook, with luggage :).

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I would like to watch you walk to Red Hook, with luggage :).

Not happening. We are both walkers, but that is just not happening.

I guess I should have been more specific and said for NYC we take the bus and walk from the Port Authority to the cruise terminal in MANHATTAN.

• Haha 1

Be flexible and patient when travelling to the port, when on the ship, and returning home.

Travel can be full of surprises.  Getting stressed, upset, and especially angry does not fix anything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Be flexible and patient when travelling to the port, when on the ship, and returning home.

Travel can be full of surprises.  Getting stressed, upset, and especially angry does not fix anything.

This is SO TRUE!  You read countless reviews of negative travel experiences and the obvious ways that people ruin their own trips with stress and anger.  The hotel front desk was less than welcoming, your feelings are hurt and you are resentful.  And that one encounter colors your entire experience.  Accept the fact that things may not go according to your expectations.  Move on, don't let some trivial thing color your enjoyment.  To quote my mother 'the world does not revolve around you'.  You're in charge, you can create a good experience.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

This is SO TRUE!  You read countless reviews of negative travel experiences and the obvious ways that people ruin their own trips with stress and anger.  The hotel front desk was less than welcoming, your feelings are hurt and you are resentful.  And that one encounter colors your entire experience.  Accept the fact that things may not go according to your expectations.  Move on, don't let some trivial thing color your enjoyment.  To quote my mother 'the world does not revolve around you'.  You're in charge, you can create a good experience.    

I try to live my the rule:

We cannot always control what happens to us, but we can control how we react and our attitude.

I don't think that I have ever had a "perfect" travel experience where every flight was on time, our luggage came out in a reasonable time, our connections were manageable, that we stopped in every port, or that every meal was out of this world... but I do not let these things make me write scathing reviews.  Nor do I yell and scream at people that did not create the problem.

I have always learned from my mistakes and change how I work. 

From the time that our luggage did not arrive until the third day of a river cruise, I now pack 2-3 changes in my carryon.  You just adjust.

• Like 2

Don’t miss the ship and always check the ships time when leaving it.   Don’t trust the locals about the time.  

Don’t chase after other passengers likes.   Explore the ship and do what interests you and not theirs.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Can't believe nobody  has mentioned :  BUY TRIP INSURANCE!  Why!  Not for change of plans, delays in connections or lost luggage - although most plans do help to lessen the pain of those events - but for medical illness of injury.  If you become seriously ill, or break a leg or something like that, the cruise line is obliged to get you to the nearest medical facility which can treat you.  Trip insurance will find and arrange treatment and transportation home in facilities as close to US standards as possible.  Without insurance it is extremely expensive.  Buy the insurance the cruise line partners with, or buy it on the internet; but don't go on a cruise without it, unless you are an extremely high roller gambler.  The cost is very reasonable for the piece of mind you will have..  I KNOW!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cruise-again said:

Can't believe nobody  has mentioned :  BUY TRIP INSURANCE!  Why!  Not for change of plans, delays in connections or lost luggage - although most plans do help to lessen the pain of those events - but for medical illness of injury.  If you become seriously ill, or break a leg or something like that, the cruise line is obliged to get you to the nearest medical facility which can treat you.  Trip insurance will find and arrange treatment and transportation home in facilities as close to US standards as possible.  Without insurance it is extremely expensive.  Buy the insurance the cruise line partners with, or buy it on the internet; but don't go on a cruise without it, unless you are an extremely high roller gambler.  The cost is very reasonable for the piece of mind you will have..  I KNOW!

Great advice.  To use an overused slogan from another company - don't leave home without it.

I know too many people that don't purchase insurance.  Do not travel without it.