Laura Hodges Bethage responses to Questions are an insult !!!!

I feel her answers to the questions are disgusting corporate spin. It is obviously apparent that she believes words will cover up the actions that they have recently embarked on with the Celebrity brand and product. The more responses she posts the more insulting it is!!!

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, BlueKernal said:

I feel her answers to the questions are disgusting corporate spin. It is obviously apparent that she believes words will cover up the actions that they have recently embarked on with the Celebrity brand and product. The more responses she posts the more insulting it is!!!

Have you considered branching out to try another cruise line?  I have booked a TA on VV and cancelled one I had booked on Eclipse.

• Like 3

Did you honestly expect different results? In reading the questions posed, many (or most) were at least challenging decisions made by management on pricing for Retreat, changes to drink packages, and so forth. They made their decision, feel no need to justify it, and are counting on continuing sold-out bookings to maintain the viability of the line, regardless of actions taken. The best answer one can hope for is the "corporate spin" wherein they are not going to explain why they did something (answer is always the impact on bottom line profitability) or admit they need to improve the customer experience.

By the way, Celebrity is not the only company doing this. It appears to be the new definition of "customer-focus" across a wide range of industries.

• Like 10

At least someone is reading the questions!  I agree her answers are sometimes lame. Time will tell if things change or not.  I have 4 more cruises booked, if we decide Celebrity isn't something we want to spend our $$ on, we can  always move on!  We have loved Royal in our younger years, and now have been enjoying Celebrity for many years.  After 44 cruises we have definitely seen the changes.  Sad....

• Like 5

First, I suspect it's actually someone from Marketing or Customer Service answering the questions, not Laura.

Second, companies do these kinds of things as Sales & Marketing exercises.  While it's understandable that many people expect to get candid answers from these sorts of Q&As, it never happens - regardless of which company is doing it.  It's no more genuine then when companies tell you how important your call is to them... while you sit on hold. 

Sorry your disappointed - I am too, but I'm too much of a skeptic to expect much better. 

• Like 12

And what did you expect, she runs the company, you are not going to get direct answers or ooo I did not know that was happening I will make it changes right away type of answers, was always going to be corporate speak.  If anything this is more information for Celebrity to gather and take back to get a feel of some of the clientele, that is it.  Its a sales and marketing form of survey.   

• Like 1

It’s sort of frustrating to read her answers because there’s no back-and-forth dialog to help us understand them. For example, her response to questions about removing footstools and loungers from balconies states that changes were made based on guest needs and preferences. So many follow-up questions are triggered by this response! 

• Like 3

She's not a "member" of Cruise Critic where people like you and I chat about things we like, dislike, disappointments, delights, advice to others, etc.  She has her face on an account that could be her or any PR member of her team.  TBH, I didn't really expect candid answers so I'm not really surprised.  But by asking the questions, certain things have been put directly on her radar....maybe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Exactly which answers insulted you? 

Corporate speak, yes, but insulting I don’t see…link them here, maybe I missed them. 

I suspect "insulting" in the form of "insulting our intelligence".

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

I suspect "insulting" in the form of "insulting our intelligence".

I just wonder what people expected…she obviously can’t just decide to change policy and make everything everyone questioned go away..

• Like 5

It seems like folks thought her answers would be accompanied by actions...Why someone would think that is beyond me based on their past track record...

Since the restart, actual passenger-friendly changes NOT cutback-reversals, we have 3 off the top of my head:
1) Starlink

2) E-muster (they could save on labor by going back to the old way)

3) Elite Happy Hour now included on the day of embarkation

Can anyone think of anyone else, who has anything with food improved that wasn't a cutback reversal?

• Like 1

Never expected " real answers"..so I did not read it.

I think the focus events with real cruisers  get more info..but have not signed up for that either.  

We'll  just keep cruising .... until it isn't fun!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Never expected " real answers"..so I did not read it.

I think the focus events with real cruisers  get more info..but have not signed up for that either.  

We'll  just keep cruising .... until it isn't fun!

I don't think there's any possible answer to give those who were insulted unless it was accompanied by an action

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I just wonder what people expected…she obviously can’t just decide to change policy and make everything everyone questioned go away..

Here's an example.  Someone questioned the shipboard practice/line regarding 10s on cruise surveys.  Her answer was

We always want our guests to provide us with their honest feedback so that we can continuously enhance our experience and offerings. The post-cruise survey is one of the best tools we have to truly understand what we do well and what needs improvement. We do not interpret ratings less than 10 as a failure, nor do we expect to always receive 10s.  We constantly strive to be better and to provide our guests with their dream vacation, so we encourage you to answer honestly. 

OK.  Fine.  So Miami says they want honest answers.  That's nice and as it should be.  What are they going to do that provides them with honest answers vs. what's happening aboard now?

Her answer does not address the problem - which has been an annoying and unhelpful practice aboard for years now - nor does it address the question the OP asked.  She could have said, "We are sorry to hear this, and we will again pass down our corporate policy to the ships and ask that they properly train and comply."  That would have been an answer worth giving.

Edited by canderson
typoz
  • Like 7

Many of these same question have been asked many times including when Lisa did a Cruise Critic Q & A, on webinars, Presidents cruises.  Questions like adding a level between Elite + and Zenith, pricing and exclusions on beverage packages, menus, Zenith benefits, rules enforcement and other. 
The same answers have been repeated many times, not sure why one would think they would be different this time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It seems like folks thought her answers would be accompanied by actions...Why someone would think that is beyond me based on their past track record...

Since the restart, actual passenger-friendly changes NOT cutback-reversals, we have 3 off the top of my head:
1) Starlink

2) E-muster (they could save on labor by going back to the old way)

3) Elite Happy Hour now included on the day of embarkation

Can anyone think of anyone else, who has anything with food improved that wasn't a cutback reversal?

Discounted Suite pricing for Zenith.

Guests in Blu on S class seem to be able to order from the MDR menu 

Check-in on the app much quicker/easier than online.

10 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Discounted Suite pricing for Zenith.

Guests in Blu on S class seem to be able to order from the MDR menu 

Check-in on the app much quicker/easier than online.

1) MAYBE?  Are Zenith's actually savings on "discounted suite pricing" or is it like one of X's many "sales"?

2) NO, could do so before the restart...Ordering MDR items from Blu is NOT new, in fact, in the spring of 2022, Equinox's Blu blocked all MDR orders.  Fall in 2022, Solstice's Blu only allowed MDR classics

image.thumb.png.6479e77e1b8398978d78318615537b3b.png

3) NO, could do so before the restart

image.thumb.png.b6d60837f030460df940b56ee6ac5358.png

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

1) MAYBE?  Are Zenith's actually savings on "discounted suite pricing" or is it like one of X's many "sales"?

2) NO, could do so before the restart...Ordering MDR items from Blu is NOT new, in fact, in the spring of 2022, Equinox's Blu blocked all MDR orders.  Fall in 2022, Solstice's Blu only allowed MDR classics

image.thumb.png.6479e77e1b8398978d78318615537b3b.png

3) NO, could do so before the restart

image.thumb.png.b6d60837f030460df940b56ee6ac5358.png

Yes, The Zenith pricing is an actual lower price, not a sale.  Saved us $1600 on our recent TP.

As for Blu our experience had been nothing but Classics from the MDR.  We have not been booked in AQ since late 2022 much is why I said “seems” as I have been seeing reviews recently from S class ships where guests stated they were able to order from the MDR menu.

I thought the app came out in 2022 and since the restart was in 2021 I thought the app was post restart.  
They say memory is the first to go when you get old😉

What is the "Zenith discount" for suites, please?  The only difference I see is that Z's don't need to purchase drink or wi-fi packages. To me that is not a "dscount". 

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Did you honestly expect different results? In reading the questions posed, many (or most) were at least challenging decisions made by management on pricing for Retreat, changes to drink packages, and so forth. They made their decision, feel no need to justify it, and are counting on continuing sold-out bookings to maintain the viability of the line, regardless of actions taken. The best answer one can hope for is the "corporate spin" wherein they are not going to explain why they did something (answer is always the impact on bottom line profitability) or admit they need to improve the customer experience.

By the way, Celebrity is not the only company doing this. It appears to be the new definition of "customer-focus" across a wide range of industries.

Agree -- Just the same 'ol Marketing PR  Spin....  Making Lemonaid out of Watermelons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, 39august said:

What is the "Zenith discount" for suites, please?  The only difference I see is that Z's don't need to purchase drink or wi-fi packages. To me that is not a "dscount". 

in a Suite you automatically get the beverage and wi-fi there isn’t a cruise only option.    So for a suite do  a mock booking of a suite w/o entering your Captains Club # then do it again adding your CC # and you will see the  Zenith price.  The difference is  about $44 pp per night.