Luminae ?

We are soon going on the Beyond in an aqua class sky suite.  I realize there is lunch in Luminae on boarding day, but the menu is very lacking.  Question, are we able to order something like a greek salad with a chicken breast?  Do they offer items that are not on the set menu?

If we go to lunch in the retreat, will that be our table for dinner for the remaining of the cruise?

How does the assignment of dinner in Luminae configured, are tables pre assigned to us?   We booked this cruise two weeks ago and only was able to get 6pm dining, am I correct to think that I am able to show up anytime such as 7:30pm for dinner?

Has anybody requested anything special off the menu for dinner in Luminae, if so, what did you request?  

Thank you.

• Like 1

I love the lobster roll that is just offered for lunch on the first day. 

you will not necessarily get same table but normally they will try to get you to same waiter.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

We are soon going on the Beyond in an aqua class sky suite.  I realize there is lunch in Luminae on boarding day, but the menu is very lacking.  Question, are we able to order something like a greek salad with a chicken breast?  Do they offer items that are not on the set menu?

very unlikely — if not on the menu for that boarding day lunch I would be very surprised if the kitchen could prepare this for you

If we go to lunch in the retreat, will that be our table for dinner for the remaining of the cruise?

no

How does the assignment of dinner in Luminae configured, are tables pre assigned to us?   We booked this cruise two weeks ago and only was able to get 6pm dining, am I correct to think that I am able to show up anytime such as 7:30pm for dinner?

despite the inability of the celebrity IT department to indicate the correct information, Luminae is all open seating and no reservations are needed.  If you have a table you prefer you can request it, otherwise you might be seated at different tables each time you dine there 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Not on embarkation day.  You may be able to get a salad but not sure  about chicken breast.  

27 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

No. There is a good chance you will be seated at a different table for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Also your wait staff may be different for breakfast and lunch.  They do try and sit you in the same general area within the restaurant with the same waitstaff for dinner.  

28 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Tables are assigned by the host/Maitre'd as they become available.  There are no 'pre assigned tables" in Luminae.  

Ignore anything about a predetermined dining time.  For Luminae you show up when you are ready to dine and will be seated as soon as seats are available. 

30 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Has anybody requested anything special off the menu for dinner in Luminae, if so, what did you request?  

We have ordered items off the Blu and Main Dining Room menu's.  If we wanted something special, we would talk with the maitre'd the day before.  For example, if we were dining in a specialty restaurant on a night that they offered the roasted leg of lamb, which is a favorite of mine, I would ask the maitre'd if he could please make it available the next night.  I have seen other people do this as well. 

Bottom line, they will do everything they can to meet your needs but it helps tremendously if you can give them as much advance notice as you can. 

• Like 2

Based on my review of Reviews and ongoing topics on this Site, Luminae is not well received by many customers. It appears that Retreat customers often eat elsewhere, order from the MDR or Blue.

I have not been in the Retreat or Luminae, my observations are only from CC.

• Like 2

Having recently been in Retreat on Silhouette, we dined in Luminae almost every night (we had 2 specialty nights). We did order off the MDR menu a couple of times. My husband loves the jerk chicken from the MDR and he also eats escargot every night. We always had the same servers whether it lunch or dinner. We weren’t always at the same table, but in the same section, I’m not much of a red meat eater, but the burger for lunch was wonderful. Also enjoyed the lobster roll on embarkation day and the last sea day. 

I have to eat gluten free and was always offered anything I wanted, although I didn’t want them to do anything special, so mostly stuck with the menu. I did have a salad at lunch a couple of times and added grilled chicken without any issue. The server actually asked me if I wanted it. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Luminae has a Cobb salad with grilled chicken breast on the lunch menu. Depends on what menu they are featuring when you board.

The Cobb is offered every day, I think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way, I've been able to tweak things even on the embarkation day lunch.  Sometimes I'll have the kale salad but with romaine instead of kale.  So if they can do it with what they have available, they will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

Based on my review of Reviews and ongoing topics on this Site, Luminae is not well received by many customers. It appears that Retreat customers often eat elsewhere, order from the MDR or Blue.

I tend to disagree with this assessment.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

What????

I have stayed in the Retreat and enjoyed Luminae. I did order off the Blu menu once or twice, only because I’m a picky eater and sometimes wanted something a bit simpler than what was on the menu. 

Edited by Water_Baby_
  • Like 3

Based on my review of Reviews and ongoing topics on this Site, Luminae is not well received by many customers.

With the exception of Sushi on 5, I have to work hard to get my DW to dine anywhere other than Luminae.  Since we first tried it as a guest of someone sailing in a Suite, my wife has made me promise that if we sail on Celebrity, we will have a suite so she can dine in Luminae. 

Yes, we order things off the MDR and or Blu menu but not because of the food in Luminae, but because we like the other menu item more.   For example, the Spiced Louisiana Gumbo from the MDR I try and order by the 5-gallon container but still only receive a bowl despite my best efforts. 

• Haha 4

With respect, the information on CC is often inaccurate, so to base your own reviews on them is ridiculous, wrong and just plain dangerous. You are giving other people's opinions as your own, which is foolish, so stop it now!

As for the OP, you can order from any (free) menu, but on Edge class ships, the MDR galley is at the other end of the ship, so it is not available on same night. You can request it for the following evening and they will try to accomodate you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

The MDR menu is offered in Luminae on M and S class ships as the kitchens are in close proximity and it is easy to get items from there.

Beyond is an E class ship and the Luminae dining room and the MDR galley are on opposite ends of the ship and on different decks, therefore making it somewhat of an inconvenience for the wait staff, so depending on the Maitre D’ they may not allow ordering off the MDR menu as it ties up the staff. Some people say they have no problems, while others say they have been told no, can’t be done. 
You can see the menus for the full week once you board and if you prefer MDR items on a specific night you can go eat there. The Luminae menu also features the classic MDR items such as French onion soup, Caesar salad, steak, chicken among a few other items. 

Edited by CruisersTimesThree
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

The MDR menu is offered in Luminae on M and S class ships as the kitchens are in close proximity and it is easy to get items from there.

Beyond is an E class ship and the Luminae dining room and the MDR galley are on opposite ends of the ship and on different decks, therefore making it somewhat of an inconvenience for the wait staff, so depending on the Maitre D’ they may not allow ordering off the MDR menu as it ties up the staff. Some people say they have no problems, while others say they have been told no, can’t be done. 
You can see the menus for the full week once you board and if you prefer MDR items on a specific night you can go eat there. The Luminae menu also features the classic MDR items such as French onion soup, Caesar salad, steak, chicken among a few other items. 

Do you know if the same applies to Blu on E class ships? We are going on Beyond in a sky suite and looking at the menus Blu has rack of lamb on the 2nd night, hubby would love to have that. I know that we can request to dine there, but may not get in. Would we be able to order from Blu?

3 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

We have been in Luminae a few times and enjoy it. Self entered reviews are always skewed to people who like to write and that isnt an accurate representation of actual people on board 

There are certainly people on board who wish Luminae had more options but that isnt going to happen. The menu is the menu and it seems to be popular when we are on board Edge class ships. There is also an plain everyday menu as well as kids 

Some people are very "selective" eaters and only like what they like   The plain menu is for them   Luminae will attempt to feed you what you want (within reason) and with proper notice. Ordering from a different restaurant 8 decks below and on the other end of the ship isnt one of them. 

54 minutes ago, tbo said:

Do you know if the same applies to Blu on E class ships? We are going on Beyond in a sky suite and looking at the menus Blu has rack of lamb on the 2nd night, hubby would love to have that. I know that we can request to dine there, but may not get in. Would we be able to order from Blu?

I would assume the same for Blu. Luminae is on deck 16 all the way forward and Blu is on deck 5 towards the aft.

I’d suggest you speak with your butler or the retreat concierge upon boarding and tell them the night you’d like to dine in Blu and let them arrange it for you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Water_Baby_ said:

I did order off the Blu menu once or twice, only because I’m a picky eater and sometimes wanted something a bit simpler than what was on the menu. 

Did you order from the Blu menu while dining in Luminae? We have booked our first suite on Beyond for next month and I’m hoping to be able to order from the Blu menu and DH would most likely prefer Luminae menu. Just wondering if we can do that while in Luminae or if we physically need to dine in Blu to get the healthy options? We are booked in an Aqua Sky Suite so I believe we have the option of dining in either Luminae or Blu. Any information you all can share would be appreciated since this our 2nd cruise on X and 1st in a SS.

Celebrity Luminae is unlike Queens Grill on Cunard.  You do not get a specific table for the complete cruise.   Usually you will get the same Waiter but your table will vary according to availability on a daily basis.

Your waiter will work with you your food preference   They have a Cobb Salad which is your basic cobb salad with a sliced chicken breast on top.   They also have a Ceasar Salad.   I'm sure if you tell your waiter what you would like on your Salad he will make it happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbo said:

Same situation Luminae deck 16 forward and Blu deck 5 aft.  You can ask the night before if they can get the dish for you. Luminae has lamb on the menu a couple of night on a 7 night sailing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I tend to disagree with this assessment.  

we are  among those who agree with the assessment..Thumbs Down for Luminae  on Beyond.!

It  was just so so for dinner....we started drifting away early on.. found BLU had a better menu, fresher food, and tip top service.  Much lighter & brighter dining rm... less crowded too.

Glad we tried Luminae,  but not going back..too bad because we enjoyed  many of the suite perks and our  room.  Not worth the  costs!

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

Did you order from the Blu menu while dining in Luminae? We have booked our first suite on Beyond for next month and I’m hoping to be able to order from the Blu menu and DH would most likely prefer Luminae menu. Just wondering if we can do that while in Luminae or if we physically need to dine in Blu to get the healthy options? We are booked in an Aqua Sky Suite so I believe we have the option of dining in either Luminae or Blu. Any information you all can share would be appreciated since this our 2nd cruise on X and 1st in a SS.

be prepared for "No" with the request for tonights menu from Blu. The two kitchens aren't close an requires someone to stop what they are doing and come back 10 minutes later with lukewarm food

might be better to look at the menus along the way and decide which restaurant to eat at that night 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

Have you dined in Luminae?

• Like 1