Annoyed with boombox passengers

Just venting. I’m annoyed and tired of the passengers who bring boomboxes to the pool and whirlpool and play them loudly. Even in the solarium. On my current sailing the staff told me that when they ask them to turn down the volume they ignore them. So rude. I’ve had this happen on other sailings but my current sailing is the worst. Doesn’t matter what ship I’m on now. Very selfish. They completely ruin the solarium vibe.

is it just me? And am I just a crabby 50 year old?

• Like 13

Just now, chiguypaul said:

Just venting. I’m annoyed and tired of the passengers who bring boomboxes to the pool and whirlpool and play them loudly. Even in the solarium. On my current sailing the staff told me that when they ask them to turn down the volume they ignore them. So rude. I’ve had this happen on other sailings but my current sailing is the worst. Doesn’t matter what ship I’m on now. Very selfish. They completely ruin the solarium vibe.

RCI is moving towards a younger, family oriented, party ship. Hideaway Beach at Coco Cay definitely has a party atmosphere. There is no Solarium on Icon and the adult only area (Hideaway) closely mimics the atmosphere of Hideaway Beach. Utopia is being marketed as the ultimate weekend party ship. The party like atmosphere RCI is focusing on right now is spreading thru their ships. Situations like you experienced with boomboxes used to be the exception. Now it is becoming the norm, with RCI employees no longer worried about passengers with boomboxes. I still enjoy the atmosphere on RCI ships, but I definitely don’t go on an RCI cruise looking to relax any more. 

9 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Oops! I accidentally kicked it in the pool.

:classic_ninja::classic_biggrin::classic_cool:

Although that's a creative solution, most portable speakers these days are water resistant.

I do agree with the op that boom boxes in public spaces should be banned.  In fact, in their guest conduct policy explicitly states just that.

Discourteous or Disruptive Behavior Prohibited

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved, except in cases of disability. Public nudity is not permitted.  Guests must be appropriately attired including while on stateroom balconies if visible to others onboard, on other vessels or ashore. Topless sunbathing is not permitted except on selected itineraries, and in those itineraries will only be allowed in designated areas.  For more details on our Dress Code, please contact Guest Services

Boom boxes, loud radios, or other noise nuisance(s) are not permitted.   Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized onboard.   Scooters are not permitted onboard except when used as a mobility aid.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Not cool if you ask me 

We experienced this at an all inclusive in Cuba about a year and a half ago - it was one group of 2-3 couples together.  Around the pool, on the beach.  Just inconsiderate

• Like 2

One more reason to stick to Royals older, smaller ships with longer itineraries. Never run across this problem, but maybe I've just been lucky    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We had an older guy blasting a Bluetooth on the deck along the smoking area on Liberty last month. Like every time...he had it all set up on the table, usually a big group and they were always doing group shots. The bartender at the little portable bar that was set up actually cut them off because they were progressively getting louder and louder

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I've never seen anyone with a boombox on a cruise. And only once was anyone playing music to what I would consider too loud, and that was a bluetooth speaker at Coco Cay.

Consider yourself lucky.  We had a family with a boombox in the Windjammer during breakfast.  People just don’t get it and they think everyone enjoys their music.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

Pick up any phone. Dial 911. Have security remedy. 

• Thanks 1

I have never been on the big ships so I haven't experienced how they treat the situation on those ships however, I have seen staff on Liberty and Voyager tell passengers that boom boxes are not allowed on the pool deck.

15 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

I really wish they had a sad face icon on these boards.☹️

I would also be annoyed and would say something.  I’m at the age that if they feel it’s ok to annoy me, then it’s ok for me to annoy them. I know two wrongs done make a right, but if I don’t feel like leaving the area I’m in at the time, then I’ll speak up, otherwise that’s another reason I always have my own balcony to enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I've never seen anyone with a boombox on a cruise....

12 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have never had an issue with pool staff and/or security handling this issue once brought to their attention

I guess we have been fortunate as well but we have also never experienced anyone with a boombox in any venue.  We also have seen staff react positively with other issues that have occurred such as children being where they are not supposed to be and guests vaping, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If everyone had their own boombox there would be fewer problems with boomboxes. 

Most of us do have one - its a mobile phone and a pair of ear buds.  My Questionable choice of music can then only annoy one person me!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@gavvy post reminded me of our experience last week on the Amtrak Auto Train that was coming down to Florida.  We saw when we looked online to upgrade, that it was 100% full, which is odd for August.  Then in the station we noticed that the great majority of people coming in were a parent with a college aged kid….. so we thought oh no, it’s going to be a loud overnight trip.  Quite the contrary, quietest trip we’ve ever had! They all used ear buds 😁 I would say more than 75% of guests on the train were kids going to school and mom taking them down.

• Like 5

We have encountered only one boombox that I can remember.  In 1991 on a Carnival cruise a woman walked on the ship with the boombox on her shoulder blasting away.  The ship personnel put an end to that immediately.  Back then, the cruise lines weren't afraid of enforcing the rules.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

Last yr and yr before were first time had similar issues. On one a couple playing music on their Balcony. Then on a Panama Canal Cruise nice and quiet in my Aft Cabin some Yahoo was watching TV on his Balcony as we were going threw the first Locks. A call to Guest Services each time and both were fixed after a Visit from Security

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Last yr and yr before were first time had similar issues. On one a couple playing music on their Balcony. Then on a Panama Canal Cruise nice and quiet in my Aft Cabin some Yahoo was watching TV on his Balcony as we were going threw the first Locks. A call to Guest Services each time and both were fixed after a Visit from Security

I agree that when you call or visit guest services they do send someone quick….at least they did the couple of times when our neighbors were smoking on their balcony…..security was there very quick.

• Like 1

OP-you are not wrong. I am finding Royal Caribbean passenger behavior becoming increasingly rude, and often confrontational. I don’t sail many other cruise lines so I don’t know if it is specific to Royal Caribbean or across-the-board.  I don’t know if this is a trait of everyone these days (on a cruise or otherwise.), or just a decline in behavior of the Royal Caribbean passenger.   I can’t understand the selfishness of someone who would think everyone around the pool wants to listen to their particular music.  

Sorry you had to experience this on your vacation. 
m

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I agree that when you call or visit guest services they do send someone quick….at least they did the couple of times when our neighbors were smoking on their balcony…..security was there very quick.

This has been our experience too.

• Like 1

I take 2 pairs of noise-cancelling ear buds with me whenever I travel, connect the bluetooth to my phone, and listen to my own music wherever I am on a ship, in an airport, or on an airplane. I take two pair because going from West Coast to East Coast can sometimes be a 12 hour day, so recharging is needed.

To me this is path of least resistance, and I don't have to give up what I'm doing, either.

Amazon's fit my ears better, but Beats are also good.

• Like 3