falling off the ship

Cru1s1ng2009

I don't have "stats", but I would think that most do not survive. If it was day light, seen and reported immediately, there may be a chance, but otherwise your odds are slim. IMHO ;)

That's what I'm thinking too but others think most survive.

I really despise the words "fall off" when it comes to these stories. Its about impossible to "fall off" a cruise ship unless you are doing something really stupid or trying to kill yourself via suicide. Sadly, this is the term the media uses and the general non cruising public believes it.

I cant tell you how many times Ive been asked "arent you worried about falling off the ship?" :rolleyes:

Edited by ryano

I really despise the words "fall off" when it comes to these stories. Its about impossible to "fall off" a cruise ship unless you are doing something really stupid or trying to kill yourself via suicide. Sadly, this is the term the media uses and the general non cruising public believes it.

I cant tell you how many times Ive been asked "arent you worried about falling off the ship?" :rolleyes:

Same here. Also went on a cruise days after the Concordia tragedy and was asked my several people "aren't you afraid of your ship sinking?"

Much depends on how high the fall is, if the person hits any of the ship structure on the way down and what condition the person falling is in before the fall.

A drunk, falling from the 12th deck, hitting the edge of a lifeboat on the way down is going to die.

A goofball college kid falling from the 7th deck trying to climb over to the next cabin and hits the water without hitting anything else will probably do ok.

Much depends on how high the fall is, if the person hits any of the ship structure on the way down and what condition the person falling is in before the fall.

A drunk, falling from the 12th deck, hitting the edge of a lifeboat on the way down is going to die.

A goofball college kid falling from the 7th deck trying to climb over to the next cabin and hits the water without hitting anything else will probably do ok.

That's not necessarily true. Hitting the water from any height is dangerous, just ask platform divers. There are approved ways of jumping into the ocean from ships that prevent the head from snapping back and breaking the neck. And that is jumping upright; if you "belly flop", your chance of breaking your neck increases by magnitudes. However, drink can affect these outcomes, just like it does in car crashes.

I haven't researched the statistics, but my gut feeling is that less than 30% are rescued alive. Even in daylight, searching for something as small as a human head in seas is nearly impossible. And that's assuming you have returned to the exact site of the overboard and have factored wind and current properly to narrow your search area. If you go to the thread on the young man who went overboard on Glory, you will see posts by myself and some former USCG members about the difficulty in locating man overboard dummies during drills.

Even in the Caribbean, hypothermia is a serious danger, as the water transfers heat 6 times as fast as air, and the water is nowhere near your core body temperature. While it isn't as quick as in Northern waters, it will still kill you in a few hours.

The one story I remember in the news in recent years about someone "falling off" a cruise ship was the couple that were joining the balcony club and lost their balance.:eek:

You are 100% correct. I shouldn't have called it that.

My point to my co-workers was it is impossible unless you intend to do it or are doing something stupid.

I knew a young man that jumped off a cruise ship a few years ago. He was my next door neighbor and was involved in a hate crime against him he had just testified in congress for stricter sentences for hate crime victims. I believe that 99% of "falls" are intentional.

That's what I'm thinking too but others think most survive.

Ask them how many people survive falling from a 6 - 10 story building. Of those, how many are able to immediately move their hands and legs.

I just witnessed two young women on deck 12 of NOS last week standing on lounge chairs to lean over the railing as far as possible. I said to my husband that those two were candidates for "falls off a cruise ship".

I just witnessed two young women on deck 12 of NOS last week standing on lounge chairs to lean over the railing as far as possible. I said to my husband that those two were candidates for "falls off a cruise ship".

Also candidates for the Darwin award.

I totally agree. Baring doing something stoopid and/or drunk, it's impossible to "fall off", as you stated.

Last cruise I watched a man let his young daughter (maybe 8 years old) stand on a chair next to the balcony railing leaning over watching the water. He was standing at least five feet away from her. I was afraid to call out to him for fear it would startle her. Luckily momma came out and put a stop to it.

My husband and I have joked about throwing the other overboard. Couldn't happen nor could you fall over by accident.

One does not just unintentionally "fall" off a ship.

Not totally correct some do because they are doing stupid things, like climbing from balcony yo balcony or having sex on the balcony rail, yes I know it happened on one cruise I was on, she was lucky and landed on a canvas cover a few decks down.

Booze can also be a contributing factor, to people doing stupid things.

This is too funny..You don't "fall" off a ship...you jump! If you're so drunk you're climbing on railings, I don't consider that a "fall". It's intentional, in that you don't care enough about your safety to stay sober enough to not do stupid things.

I'm asked this all of the time (my co-workers know I love to cruise). I tell them that you have to work hard and exert real energy and movement to fall (jump) overboard. More often than not it involves being over served and being involved in reckless behavior. It is definitely no accident.

This is too funny..You don't "fall" off a ship...you jump! If you're so drunk you're climbing on railings, I don't consider that a "fall". It's intentional, in that you don't care enough about your safety to stay sober enough to not do stupid things.

Yes, it is not fall, it is a fail.