No where near me to apply for Passport?

Ahall2015

Hello all. We are cruising in Jan 2016 & I am starting to get nervous thinking we won't have time to receive our passports. I have tried to find a place local to apply for one and there are NONE! Has anyone purchased one online? Is that even an option? Yes I know there is a passport thread but there are so many pages Im not sure looking through them all would even help me.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Hi there,

This information is easily found online. Here is your link:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english.html <---click here

Is it a renewal? Here is your link, same website:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/renew.html <---click here

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Download the application, following directions to complete it and have the required proof of citizenship ready to submit.

Then head to a US Post Office.....or AAA office - many do passport applications. Call to verify the hours they take application. I'm sure there is a PO or AAA near you. You will need photographs, often done at PO's or AAA as part of the cost/service.

Darcy

You can apply for a passport at your local post office. You can fill out the application in advance and take it with you along with the photos and appropriate documentation. Some post offices also do passport photos in house.

Hello all. We are cruising in Jan 2016 & I am starting to get nervous thinking we won't have time to receive our passports. I have tried to find a place local to apply for one and there are NONE! Has anyone purchased one online? Is that even an option? Yes I know there is a passport thread but there are so many pages Im not sure looking through them all would even help me.

Thank you so much!

For a first time passport you must appear in person. But it is not necessarily a passport office. Ask your local post office if they do passport applications. If they don't, ask where the nearest post office is that does do passport applications.

Also, when you submit a copy of your Birth Certificate, make sure it has an embossed seal on it.

Years ago when I applied for a Passport along with my Wife I submitted a copy of my birth certificate that I had for ever.

My Wife's passport came and I received a letter stating that my Birth Certificate could not be accepted. I had to contact the State that I was born in, not the one I lived in at the time, and request another copy.

Lucky we had started early and had the time to wait and wait and wait for the new Birth Certificate and then to apply a second time.

Bob

Some post offices actually have passport services, including photographs, onsite. (Although getting the photos done at AAA if you're a member is probably much less expensive--here in Central PA, basic members $9 plus tax, Plus members first set free, non-members, about $14 plus tax. MUCH less expensive than when we got ours at the Post Office.)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=US+postal+service+Illinois+passport

Edited by capncarp

I get my passport & visa photos at Costco - usually ~$5 for 2. And convenient for me since I'm in Costco every week. Not so much the post office or AAA. Get the photo taken, then shop - the photos are ready by the time I've finished shopping :p

Thank you so much!

so you don't have a US Post Office nearby?! that seems odd. all but the smallest will process passport requests. a few even will do the pictures there on site.

Thank you so much!

In case the OP is not a US Citizen and their passport expired, then they would have to contact the nearest consulate or embassy of their country. 99% of the time they would have to make a trip to that office.

Also, when you submit a copy of your Birth Certificate, make sure it has an embossed seal on it.

Years ago when I applied for a Passport along with my Wife I submitted a copy of my birth certificate that I had for ever.

My Wife's passport came and I received a letter stating that my Birth Certificate could not be accepted. I had to contact the State that I was born in, not the one I lived in at the time, and request another copy.

Lucky we had started early and had the time to wait and wait and wait for the new Birth Certificate and then to apply a second time.

Bob

The highlighted information is incorrect. You must make sure that it is a certified copy issued by a governmental agency. Most states no longer use embossed seals and most people under the age of 30 have never had and will never have a BC with an embossed seal.

Edited by zqvol

Thank you all for you responses.

I have contacted the offices in our area via the links you all provided. Thank you! They all have a 3 month wait time because we need to have a scheduled appointment. ( There are only 3 within an hour of our town). NO walk ins are allowed at any of the three facilities.

So now that is pushing me back to October and we sail in Jan. So I am going to go ahead and schedule an apt and hope that I can get the passport in time. I never imagined it would be this much of a struggle to receive one. I, like all of you thought I could just walk into any PO and fill the paperwork out. Not the case here unfortunately.

Ugh. Such is my luck :(

There are only 3 within an hour of our town). NO walk ins are allowed at any of the three facilities.

Have you looked at schedules or walk-in ability and any locations that might be a little further away? I mean, my daily commute is an hour each way - for something important like a passport, I'd be willing to drive a little longer. (though when I did my search on the State Dept website, I found I could apply in our court - interesting - I'd only been aware of applying at a Post Office, but not in our county ;-)

Heck, I flew to Milwaukee from NC to have my Global Entry interview, due to scheduling issues locally (and "local" would have mean a 3.5 hr drive anyway).

Edited by Hoyaheel

If you are going on a "closed loop" cruise, and are a U S Citizen, you don't actually need the passport... Your BC and DL will suffice. Of course, it's it's not "closed loop" you will need the pp....good luck!!

Edited by cb at sea

wow, this surprises me .... not that post offices are difficult about this cuz they are near me too, but other places? I can walk into the county clerk or clerk of the court office and get this done any regular work day with no wait (other than getting to the front of the line)

TECHNICALLY .... all that is needed is appearing before some one to whom you 'swear' the accuracy of the information ... but this is ABOVE what a Notary can do. There are companies that handle this {for a fee}

https://www.expresspassport.com/index.asp?gclid=CJHjjI2yx8YCFUQSHwod3HEAQQ

where are you in Illinois ... town? County?

Edited by Capt_BJ

As CaptBJ says, you can get the papers checked im most courthouses. then send it in yourself. I know they do it in my county. Check in your county courthouse, and surrounding counties. You can print out the forms, fill them out, and have the clerk check them. EM

Many of our AAA offices take passport pictures and have the applications.

Most of our Post Offices have the applications and can help you fill them out.

I have to renew my passport soon and though I've had AAA for years, just today :o I learned I can get the photos done at their office. There is one nearby so easy.

OP...... when we initially got our passports, we did it all by mail. We didn't need appointments or go anywhere in person but to have the photos taken and every renewal was the same. Couldn't have been easier and you have way more than enough time.

Download the application, get your photos, submit the required style birth certificate, write a check, address an envelope and mail it.

You never stated if this your FIRST passport or a renewal...if it is renewal then it is very easy. we took and printed the pictures ourselves (according to the required guidelines on a color printer with photo paper ) using one of the online passport photo editing programs. We then printed the required forms and mailed them all off with our old passports...3 weeks later we had our new passports and our old ones back too....

If it is your first time then it is a little harder as you have to use birth certificates and such.

I can't believe that there is not a post office a few 2-4 hours from you that cannot process your application sooner.

As CaptBJ says, you can get the papers checked im most courthouses. then send it in yourself. I know they do it in my county. Check in your county courthouse, and surrounding counties. You can print out the forms, fill them out, and have the clerk check them. EM

This is definitely the way to go. No appointment needed at the courthouse - download forms from the online site, follow the instructions for filling out and go to the courthouse. We had a coupon for the pictures at CVS. We did this for my boys earlier this year - only 4 weeks to receive the passports.