Do ships follow each other at sea?

Sotermarler

I was on my first cruise last year and I noticed we pretty much had other cruise ships around us all the time at sea. Was this coincidence, do they follow each other or is that just the fastest route?

You left out least expensive (which is not necessarily the fastest), safest, and most appropriate for the current conditions.

Sorry, dumber question than the original, how is it the least expensive?

You tell me. Here's a hint: why do some itineraries proceed in a direction that may include somewhat "out of the way" destinations or "out of a straight line" order?

Think about it? Why would multiple cruise ships follow a route that adds a seemingly unnecessary sea day (I.e., going faster would save them time in transit. But, is that more or less expensive.

What you have to realize is that there is no auto-algorithm at work here. Many many variables are taken into consideration in planning a route. Same is true for container ships and tankers as well.

The shortest distance is not always the cheapest.

I guess it depends on my experience....

• if it's a narrow channel... they are forced to be one behind another
  • in general, it's safer to not be directly behind.... just in case the ship in front stops and then you have a rear-ender. If they are directly behind... it's likely several ship lengths.
  • then there's the wake factor.... there's a lot of water moving around from the lead ship.... being in the wake is not comfortable for an extended period

I was on my first cruise last year and I noticed we pretty much had other cruise ships around us all the time at sea. Was this coincidence, do they follow each other or is that just the fastest route?

Often there are lanes in the ocean that the ships use so you will see ships near one another.

Keith

Never had it happen to us, but they all do follow similar routes between ports, they rely on currents, prevailing winds and sea conditions, so if two ships are in similar itineraries yes they will follow each other.

Love sailing side by side with other ships. So pretty at night sitting on the balcony in the dark.

When we were on the Pride, coming back into Tampa, there were three of us . Tampa took in MAJOR fog and none of us could make it back into port. We all just waited it out for hours together.

Many ships have similar itineraries departing from the same initial departure port. The routes taken often are similar as they are the most direct to allow port times to be maintained. Just the best route from point A to point B. As a result you will also often see the same ships in ports of call along a given itinerary as well that will essentially follow each other much of the way.

Also many routes are similar as certain areas - for example the passage from south FL to the Caribbean between the Bahamas and Cuba - have relatively narrow shipping lanes due to sea depth, etc., that all ships (not just cruise ships) need to follow.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I've been told there are "ship lanes" and this is most notable when you actually cross the ocean. You would think you would never see another ship but you do. It is logical since these "lanes" are likely the safest, fastest ways to navigate. Also, in case of emergency, another ship is relatively close and you aren't really in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean by yourself.

I'd love to see a good explanation from a navigator.

Interesting, the ocean is so huge I wouldn't have guessed there were shipping lanes.

Thanks all.

Flatbrush, I don't know, to avoid the Pirates of the Caribbean? :)

Actually, avoiding pirates is a consideration in route planning in certain parts of the world:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_attacked_by_Somali_pirates

CB has it right. In more heavily traveled areas of the world there are designated "shipping lanes" that are similar to a highway on the sea. These lanes work at separating ships going in somewhat opposite directions. In most areas these lanes are many miles wide which leave plenty of room for ships to overtake slower ships. But outside these heavily traveled areas ships (including cruise ships) simply plot the most direct course (adjusted to avoid any shallow or land areas). On longer journeys such as a transatlantic there are actually two shorter routes which are a direct routing and a circle route (which takes advantage of the shape of the earth). That is why both airplanes and ships cruising from London to NYC may actually go North to get South :). When I learned to fly, my flight instructor used a basketball to illustrate. Mark two distant points on a ball and you will see that there is more then one short route to connect the two points. Another issue for ships are the sea currents which can sometimes justify some course deviation to take advantage of more favorable currents. For ships it is all about saving fuel.

Hank

I've only seen other ships near ports. For example, sailing into FLL on the last night of the cruise, you could see two other cruise ships heading the same way. And no, they were no following us, they were nearby.

Around the Panama Canal you'll see lots of ships. As you get nearer the canal, they multiply....

At ports, landing will be set at different times so that the landing crews can handle each ship one at a time. I've been in a port when another ship pulled in right next to us. They closed our gangway for 20 minutes while the other ship docked.

One time, I was on the Crown when the Ruby docked next to us. They had guards posted to make sure passengers didn't get mixed up!

But out on the high seas, you do not see many ships.

For ships it is all about saving fuel.

Hank

For ships, it is all about saving, or making, money (which doesn't always translate to fuel). For example, choosing an order of ports in an itinerary, which may require a larger number of overall sea miles (and possibly more fuel), may depend on past consumer preference for that order (which commands a higher cabin price and a full ship), variances or surcharges in port fees dependent on confirmed or projected ship traffic, even occasional projections of fuel needs as it relates to which fueling location will have the best "futures" prices (kind of like driving to a further away gas station because their prices will cost you less in the long run).

So, at the bottom line (for example), it can be (and often is) cheaper for a cruise ship to replace a potential port stop (with all the associated costs) with a sea day -even if it only entails steaming in circles (and using fuel).

In more heavily traveled areas of the world there are designated "shipping lanes" that are similar to a highway on the sea. These lanes work at separating ships going in somewhat opposite directions.

Exactly. Look at a nautical chart of Cuba and you'll see the designated shipping lanes marked through the Nicholas Channel, Old Bahama Channel and around the West and East coasts.

Otherwise, there are so many cruise ships and other commercial ships out there, at any given time, it's not hard to see at least 1 other ship on the horizon.

Sorry, dumber question than the original, how is it the least expensive?

Least expensive would be the one that consumes the least amount of fuel getting the ship safely to its next port on time. Currents and weather have to be considered. Sailing against a strong current for example, might not be the optimal route even if it is the shortest.

Since many cruise ships have very similar performance and operate with the same constraints, it is no surprise that they often sail the same routes. Similar behavior exists with aircraft. For the same reasons.