check in or carry on luggage

dippydoo

Hi

I have a 29 inch suitcase . Will I be able to get through scanner to carry on or am I better off just checking in with porter.

Thank you

Its the width which matters not the length, you don't say what the 29 inches is.

Its the width which matters not the length, you don't say what the 29 inches is.

Standard suitcases are 29" high, 21" wide and 11" deep. The four wheel spinner suitcases are normally 31" high. We give ours to the porters and have them delivered to the cabin. Never had an issue. We keep all valuables, prescription meds, plus a bathing suit and 1st day deck wear in our carry ons.

Standard suitcases are 29" high, 21" wide and 11" deep. The four wheel spinner suitcases are normally 31" high. We give ours to the porters and have them delivered to the cabin. Never had an issue. We keep all valuables, prescription meds, plus a bathing suit and 1st day deck wear in our carry ons.

So the 21 inches is probably the crucial measurement for the x ray machine.

I found online that airport scanner apertures are normally 24.4 inches wide and 16.5 inches high. Maybe port machines are the same, maybe not.

Glad you never had an issue. Others have, including myself.

Our big case is 18 inches wide & fits through the port scanners without any problem. When we last checked in it had a few good inches to spare on both sides of the case. The worst that could happen is that you have to go back & give it to the porters which might take a few minutes. In that case have your wife go through the scanners & secure a seat to wait for your return. No big problem.

If your bag will not fit through the scanner at the airport, it will not fit through the same scanner at the port. Luckily the bags can be checked free (don't forget the tip). Our bags have always been delivered to the stateroom unharmed. There have been very few reports on CC of lost luggage. Don't put anything valuable in your checked luggage. That means cameras, jewelry, computers, medicine etc.

A side question of personal interest how heavy do you pack a bag of this size?

The reason I ask is I assume you don't go over 50 pounds or you incur an overcharge from the airline so why such a large bag?

A smaller bag say a 24 inch would weigh a few pounds less which would mean you could actually pack more in it and stay under the weight limit plus it is easier to move and fits in a car trunk easier.

If you are driving to the cruise and packing 70 lbs in it I get it but if not why?

I am honestly interested in the responses from those who travel with large suit cases not an attempt at stirring the pot.

Cheers

The reason I ask is I assume you don't go over 50 pounds or you incur an overcharge from the airline so why such a large bag?

A smaller bag say a 24 inch would weigh a few pounds less which would mean you could actually pack more in it and stay under the weight limit plus it is easier to move and fits in a car trunk easier.

If you are driving to the cruise and packing 70 lbs in it I get it but if not why?

I am honestly interested in the responses from those who travel with large suit cases not an attempt at stirring the pot.

Cheers

When getting ready for our month long trip to Europe two years ago (land and cruise) I purchased new luggage. It was 29 x21..I did a "test pack" and found that if I wanted it packed tightly (less movement = less wrinkles) I was in the area of 75 lbs. Plus , after further reading, it was not considered "standard" for Air Lingus. Too big. So I returned it for a 28 x 19, plus a 17 in. carry on..Air Lingus is pretty strict on total inch size (even with carry ons) and was tagging a lot of luggage as oversized. They also measure how far off the ground the four wheels add to the total size.

After lugging that suitcase over the bridge in Venice (44 steps up and 44 steps down) I wish I packed even smaller.

I now have the 24 x 19 piece and can pack the same amount if I extend the zipper part, but it tips over too easily, even with the four wheels. So haven't decided which piece to take to Europe this spring (29 days) When taking taxis in Europe the large suitcases don't always fit in the smaller cars.

I never looked up the Princess rule for luggage since I have to fly first and the airline rules trump any cruise line rule. However, I did a cruise this summer out of my home port on NCL and they had a 50 lb max on luggage or a charge.

Bigger is not always better..at least in luggage.

Tip for Venice, have your hotel book a licensed porter. For 5 Euros per bag he will take it from hotel to cruise centre. We had trouble keeping up with him. Worth every penny (sorry Euro). After travelling a fair bit, I would go with smallest, lightest luggage you can. Buy some souvenir t shirts and find a laundry. The big bags are a nuisance in cabs in both Europe and Asia mainly due to smaller cars with LPG tanks in the boot.

Brandee thank you for your forthright account it reflects what I thought that size bag would weigh when packed so one would incur an overage fee when checking it on a plane.

I had not heard that NLC charges a fee for overweight luggage but it is the only cruise line that complies with US work place regulations which has standards for how heavy an object a worker can lift similar to airlines.

What are others experience with these large bags, I have 2 that I have never traveled with but owned for about 20 years as I cannot figure out how to make optimum use of them except as rolling storage containers for cloths in the basement.

What are others experience with these large bags, I have 2 that I have never traveled with but owned for about 20 years as I cannot figure out how to make optimum use of them except as rolling storage containers for cloths in the basement.

My large bags served me well for many years and have gone off to Goodwill.:) I won't carry anything larger than 22", sometimes expanded to 14" and checked, but usually carried on to the plane (US airlines - most of the foreign carriers have much stricter limits on weight than I care to adhere to). I am fine doing a bit of handwashing daily, using the laundry (a great perk for suites and Elites) and wearing every item at least twice.

My two cents:

I just returned from a Princess Cruise with a 30 inch piece of luggage. My thought was the same as everyone else's....more room....but I did not fill it.

Upon my return, I used a porter. As I was putting the luggage in the car, I noticed that one of the wheels was damage. Long story short, Princess paid my claim. (Next time...it would be helpful if you put in a claim right at the terminal.)

So the search began. Talked to lots of people iChats...Facebook...department stores. I wasn't convinced that a 29 inch wouldn't work so bought one. Then I realized that I am too short, it will get too heavy, and it may not meet the airline's requirements. So instead, I purchased two 26 inch (expandable) pieces to travel with. I am almost sure this will work for me.

Just to make this "legal" (not to hijack this thread), I have sometimes sent a 24 inch "carry on" through the San Pedro (LA) terminal scanner with no problems.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Giving the luggage to porters isn't question with us. It's knowing that I've got my luggage on my bed to put clothes away immediately after lunch & no just have it arrive 5 minutes prior. Also we know that everything will be in the cabin without any damage. It's also nice to know that immediately after muster we can go to the sail-a-way any not have to think about unpacking.

Cheers

I just took out my 29" bag for my cruise next weekend. We are driving to the port, so I don't care about weight limits or size. It fits just fine in the car and lets me take all of the stuff I want. I like options. ;)

I do check it with the porters rather than trying to wrestle it into a scanner.

I am not sure I missed a post or two.

Please keep in mind that there are lots of people who are trying to catch an elevator with their carry ons. Add your larger bag and that will probably leave a passenger or two to wait for the next elevator. I know how you feel (I'm the same way), but have learned to trust that my luggage will arrive in a timely manner.

I am not sure I missed a post or two.

Please keep in mind that there are lots of people who are trying to catch an elevator with their carry ons. Add your larger bag and that will probably leave a passenger or two to wait for the next elevator. I know how you feel (I'm the same way), but have learned to trust that my luggage will arrive in a timely manner.

They'll always be someone who can't fit on the elevator & will have to wait for the next one. In the end everyone will make it to their room before sailing.