SLEEPING in FLL Airport

zoncom

Get in around 2AM Southwest.Sailing out of Miami. I do not want to go to Miami till day light. Anyplace I can snooze in FLL airport? Can I pick up my bag and get back upstairs? NO flaming please. Used to sleep DEN all the time safely. Thanks.

There is a website you might want to check out. Sleepinginairports.com.

There are a lot of people that do what you want to do. We were recently in the Mexico City airport from about midnight until 6 am. We didn't want to get a hotel for just a few hours sleep. I can't say we slept but we did get horizontal for a few hours. Good luck!

Check out:

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/fortlauderdale.htm

http://www.broward.org/Airport/FAQs/Pages/Terminals.aspx

According to the latter link:

Can I sleep overnight in the Airport?

Yes, you can remain in the Airport overnight. However, you will want to consider the following before deciding to sleep at FLL:

• You can only stay in a pre-security waiting area (not on the concourse) for the night.
  • Our seating is attached chairs with arm rests.
  • Heavy-duty cleaning is often conducted at night.
  • Food and beverage service is limited during these hours. Visit the concession closing/opening times that is listed by terminal.
  • It can get cold in the terminals, so bring warm clothes.

I checked a couple random mid week and weekend dates for hotels near FLL. even next month there were ones for under $90 with free breakfast, and showers and beds and airport transportation.

I have slept in airports in my younger years, but now will spring for a room if I have more than 6 hours to hang out in an airport overnight. The joy of that kind of adventure has faded and getting places rested has really become more important.

Edited by MommaBear55

...NO flaming please. Used to sleep DEN all the time safely. Thanks.
Retain some dignity and book yourself something on Priceline or something instead. If you're so hard up you can't drop $50 on a hotel you might want to reconsider a vacation...
And perhaps YOU could retain some dignity by not butting in with snarky words that you were specifically asked to not give.
  • Like 1

And perhaps YOU could retain some dignity by not butting in with snarky words that you were specifically asked to not give.

Actually my Priceline suggestion is a pretty good one. Bidding for mystery hotels on there can yield some really cheap options.

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/30/Florida-Fort-Lauderdale/Florida-Fort-Lauderdale#.VuCLXvkrKCg

I guess at least I provided something of us to the thread...:rolleyes:

My DH is the same way and hates to book a hotel for just a few hours. One of the big CC contributors and her hubby did this in the FLL airport last year I believe it was; they survived. You will have to exit security and claim your luggage. There are lots of seats outside security, but I don't remember whether they have armrests. With it being a popular cruise port, I'd imagine you will find many others sleeping on the airport, too. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Get in around 2AM Southwest.Sailing out of Miami. I do not want to go to Miami till day light. Anyplace I can snooze in FLL airport? Can I pick up my bag and get back upstairs? NO flaming please. Used to sleep DEN all the time safely. Thanks.

If your plan is to head to Miami as soon as it's daylight, you're probably thinking 6am or so and so why get a hotel room for only 4-ish hours? But there's no point in going to the cruise terminal at that hour. Spare yourself the discomfort and get a hotel room and a good night's sleep. Wake up rested and refreshed and enjoy a shower, and then head to Miami around 10 or 11am. Just my .02.

Edited by waterbug123

If your plan is to head to Miami as soon as it's daylight, you're probably thinking 6am or so and so why get a hotel room for only 4-ish hours? But there's no point in going to the cruise terminal at that hour. Spare yourself the discomfort and get a hotel room and a good night's sleep. Wake up rested and refreshed and enjoy a shower, and then head to Miami around 10 or 11am. Just my .02.

I agree with this. 4 hrs at the airport then another 4 at the port waiting to board then who knows how long till cabin is ready. :eek: I also would just grab a hotel and get a good 6-7hrs of sleep, shower then breakfast then head to port refreshed and ready to go.

Book a room for the night you are flying. CALL the hotel and tell them you will not arrive until 2am or so. Ask them to pre-register you: this will have them "check you in" before midnight and the night audit is run. Your room will be ready for occupancy when you arrive. Example: your flight departs from Podunk at 9pm on April 1, and arrives at FLL at 2am on April 2. Book the room for April 1 and tell the hotel you will arrive around 2am on April 2.

This is done all the time at my hotel. It is an established practice for people who absolutely need a room ready when they arrive when they will be arriving before the hotel's established check-in time.

You can do this using any booking engine, the hotel's website, or the hotel's phone agents. Book, then CALL the hotel. Do not rely on any other method of making sure the hotels understands you will arrive in the middle of the night. You don't want to be marked as a "No Show"!

I agree with this. 4 hrs at the airport then another 4 at the port waiting to board then who knows how long till cabin is ready. :eek: I also would just grab a hotel and get a good 6-7hrs of sleep, shower then breakfast then head to port refreshed and ready to go.

what they said, spend $100 and be well rested and refreshed. BTW, FLL airport can be extremely cold, this coming from someone whom enjoys cold weather so beware. Enjoy:)

Do you have a check in time to board the ship. With the new designated boarding times my understanding is you will not be allowed to enter the terminal to wait. If the weather is bad I don't think that would change the boarding time restrictions. Just a thought. I think Miami is one of the ports that have time slots. I'm sure someone will chime in on that. Have fun.

I have flown in and out of the Ft. Ldle airport many, many times over

the years and don't recall seeing anywhere that you can "sleep for a

few hours".......I mean there are chairs in all of the gate areas but I

don't consider them a sleeping area. But, if you get your luggage

and go back up? You won't have an active boarding pass anymore so

I don't know if security would let you back in anyway.

I agree with the majority. Priceline a room for $50 and get a solid six hours of sleep. Get up, have a shower and likely a free breakfast, and then head to the port refreshed and ready to start your cruise rather than exhausted and wanting a nap.

Great interesting site. Thanks.Its easier and safer for me to stay in the airport. I was sexually harassed too many times when I lived on MB. So moved back to CO. Thanks all. Take a peek at this site for various other info.

I can't imagine trying to sleep outside of security at FLL, if they even would allow people to stay there (otherwise homeless would congregate there too). It's different than airside where people stay overnight for an early connecting flight. I'd rent a car and sleep in that before I would try to sleep near baggage claim. And then at least you have transportation to get to Miami.

• 1 month later...

Well I did it. Adjacent to SW is rental car compound. Just walked over in back, no exiting. The leather sofas by Avis desk are gone , replaced by steel mesh 3 seater benches. I was only one up there. Rental desks manned 24 hours. Quiet with no annoncements, slept soso. Glad I did it cause my shuttle came downstairs 20 minutes early.