Really really miffed - website differs to phone advice

Chewbecca

We were worried that the cruise we wanted next Easter would sell out so decided to book it in OV this week as nothing higher was available, and made a note that we wanted to pay for an upgrade if anything came open as the cabin really is too small for us and our teenage son.

Today, I look on the site for our cruise with our party size (2 adults, 1 teenager) and would be able to book the FV - my ideal room! - & I was happy with the price shown too.

I'm in the Uk so cannot cancel and re-book without penalty, so ring my TA who rings X and is told there is a mimunim cabin occupancy of 5 so we cannot upgrade.

I get the minimum cabin occupancy concept but we are a family and what makes me most cross is that the website would let us book for the 3 of us but we would lose our deposit, paid just 2 days ago.

It's left me with a really sour view of X and their 'rules'. I so bitterly regret booking this week and wish I had waited until today.

If anyone knows any way other than to re-book & lose our deposit, please tell! Thanks.

We were worried that the cruise we wanted next Easter would sell out so decided to book it in OV this week as nothing higher was available, and made a note that we wanted to pay for an upgrade if anything came open as the cabin really is too small for us and our teenage son.

Today, I look on the site for our cruise with our party size (2 adults, 1 teenager) and would be able to book the FV - my ideal room! - & I was happy with the price shown too.

I'm in the Uk so cannot cancel and re-book without penalty, so ring my TA who rings X and is told there is a mimunim cabin occupancy of 5 so we cannot upgrade.

I get the minimum cabin occupancy concept but we are a family and what makes me most cross is that the website would let us book for the 3 of us but we would lose our deposit, paid just 2 days ago.

It's left me with a really sour view of X and their 'rules'. I so bitterly regret booking this week and wish I had waited until today.

If anyone knows any way other than to re-book & lose our deposit, please tell! Thanks.

While I agree most cruise websites are junk, maybe someone had a hold on this when you phoned.

You haven't stated ship and exact dates so I can't check to see if the FV is still showing available, however, the FVs usually require the minimum occupancy of 5 this far out. Occasionally they do pop up earlier, but in most instances they are only released for less than 5 nearer to sailing date (after final payment when they haven't been filled). As for the website, you can virtually get to the last page of booking and suddenly things change e.g. pricing, perks, availability etc. You often receive conflicting information from different telephone representatives too, so perhaps it's worth your TA double checking with another call to X?

GENERALLY

adverb

in most cases; usually.

"the term of a lease is generally 99 years"

synonyms: normally, in general, as a (general) rule, in the general run of things, by and large, more often than not, almost always, in the main, mainly, mostly, for the most part, in most cases, most of the time, predominantly, on the whole; More

in general terms; without regard to particulars or exceptions.

"a decade when France was moving generally to the left"

synonyms: overall, in general terms, in a general sense, generally speaking, altogether, all in all, broadly, on average, principally, basically, substantially, effectively

"France was moving generally to the left"

So I suppose in most cases, as in generally, I book with a US TA. I suppose I was being a little redundant!:)

Edited by wendychloecruiser

We had a similar situation 2 FVs were showing as available and it was about 5 months before sailing. When I tried to book on the website it would not allow booking for 2 had to be 5.

It makes sense that since these cabins are designed to accommodate 5 that they don't release them for booking by less than 5 until shortly before sailing. Similar to the accessible cabins which are restricted to those with a need for them until just before sailing when they can be booked by anyone.

Thanks for the info.

The OV cabin we are in currently also sleeps 5 but they booked that for us & we are not a couple, we are a family, albeit a smaller one! The gangly 13 year old would benefit from a little more space.

Still, when we booked, we knew the room size, I was just hopeful we'd find bigger, got really excited, hopes were dashed.

Looks like I will need to be patient.

Thanks for the info.

The OV cabin we are in currently also sleeps 5 but they booked that for us & we are not a couple, we are a family, albeit a smaller one! The gangly 13 year old would benefit from a little more space.

Still, when we booked, we knew the room size, I was just hopeful we'd find bigger, got really excited, hopes were dashed.

Looks like I will need to be patient.

The FVs have different booking rules to any of the other cabins, irrespective of how many pax a particular cabin can hold. You may find one becomes available closer to sailing date - just keep checking ;).

I think the "rules" are made by your country...not the cruise line.....

No, I book my cruises through a US TA and it's very rarely that the FVs are bookable so far out with less than 5 pax (perhaps the occasional odd one) ;). From experience I know this as I often book FVs, in fact, I have one for this year ;).

Seems like a lot of space for just one child/. I can see why they'd hold the rooms in case a larger group really needs the space especially around school breaks. Things might open up around final payment when final decisions are made.

Edited by eandj

No, I book my cruises through a US TA and it's very rarely that the FVs are bookable so far out with less than 5 pax (perhaps the occasional odd one) ;). From experience I know this as I often book FVs, in fact, I have one for this year ;).

My "American large online TA" won't book sailings for non US residents...or at least that is what their website says. Maybe they just quietly do it?

My "American large online TA" won't book sailings for non US residents...or at least that is what their website says. Maybe they just quietly do it?

Unsure, but the point I was trying to make, to the poster who thought the OP was treated differently because of their country of origin, is that it appears to be standard practice for X to book 5 pax into those FV cabins until nearer sailing date i.e. usually after final payment when they have not been filled, irrespective of which country you are booking from ;). They can hold 5 pax and so X would therefore prefer to charge 5 payments rather than 2 or 3 for the same cabin. After final payment date is another matter.

It is also my understanding that the OP was incorrect when they said their OV would allow 5 pax, only the FVs permit that amount of pax in the one room. Some cabins may have sufficient bedding for 5, but as far as I am aware, the maximum is 4 persons in any cabin, except for the FVs - I'm not counting baby cots in this amount or connecting rooms/suites. I'm sure someone will put me right if this is incorrect ;).

Edited by villauk

There are OVs on Constellation that sleep 5, check out the row of cabins on deck two that have both symbols, they have a sofa bed and two pull downs.

Today 2 people can book a verandah guarantee but 3 cannot.

But hopeful of keeping on tracking that something will come up that'll give us our balcony and a little extra space.

(It is 2 Apr 17 cruise by the way)

I exchanged to FV in June 2013 for an Oct 2013 sailing.

We had originally booked 7204 but 'upgraded' to 9156, with nothing to pay as the agent at Celebrity told me it was in the same category. I didn't loose my deposit, I didn't have to re- book.

I do wonder if this happened as we booked direct with Celebrity, rather than going through a Travel Agent.

I also managed to add a classic package in Aug 2013 as a UK offer came available. These are not usual on TA's.

There are OVs on Constellation that sleep 5, check out the row of cabins on deck two that have both symbols, they have a sofa bed and two pull downs.

But hopeful of keeping on tracking that something will come up that'll give us our balcony and a little extra space.

I'm pretty sure other cabins, including the 1As on S class ships, have sufficient bedding for 5 but you're only allowed to book a maximum of 4 in the room - or so we were led to believe. Concierge on Connie have larger rooms, yet they only hold a maximum of 3 pax while the 2As etc. are bookable for 4?

Edited by villauk

Could that be because all veranda cabin are not set up for 3 people? I do not really know.

I don't think all balconies are set up for 3, no.

Feel a bit like the three bears, too big a party for this, too small a party for that. Hopefully one'll come along that we are just right for! We do have 11 months after all.

Just keep checking on a regular basis, particularly as the cruise gets closer. We've twice changed from a normal balcony to an FV cabin when they finally got released. The first time was around final payment time but the second time happened quite a few months out and I just got lucky that I spotted that they had been released. Join the roll call for the cruise as well as often someone on the roll call will give a heads up when they release them. Both times we were booked with a Travel Agent so it wasn't the case that we got lucky because we booked with Celebrity direct.

Both times we had a corner FV - the cabin is great but the balcony is truly amazing - the best we've ever had.

The only issue you may find is that since it's an Easter sailing there will be families onboard so cabins for 5 will be in more demand. Our sailings were both long cruises and outside main holiday periods.

Edited by Bobal

I don't think all balconies are set up for 3, no.

Feel a bit like the three bears, too big a party for this, too small a party for that. Hopefully one'll come along that we are just right for! We do have 11 months after all.

If all balconies are not set up for 3 people then it is understandable why Celebrity will not allow a balcony GTY booking for three people.

I would not be surprised if a balcony booking for 3 people opens up over the next year. Good luck.

If all balconies are not set up for 3 people then it is understandable why Celebrity will not allow a balcony GTY booking for three people.

You are not allowed to book a guarantee for any category stateroom unless you are only 2 passengers. If you do book a guarantee and want to add a 3rd person to your cabin later, they readjust the price to the full asking price of that category of cabin.

Let's say you book an inside guarantee for $499, you get assigned a cat 9 inside but then want to add the 3rd person you would have to pay for the 3d person and then also pay whatever extra a cat 9 cabin is going for. So if the cat 9 is $999 you would have to pay $500 extra for passengers 1 and 2.

Edited by CruisingChick