Passport Expiration

How strict are the cruiselines (specifically Carnival) on the "passport must be good for 6 months after the cruise"?

We have passports that will be expiring the first quarter of next year and we are thinking about booking a cruise in November. I'm a little hesitant to renew at this time because our house is on the market and we anticipate an address change, and don't want to jeopardize those being mis-directed, lost, or never received.

Just seems like I'm losing 6 months of the passport that I paid for if I can't use it during that time frame.

Any experiences to share?

Depends entirely on the itinerary you are choosing and the country requirements. If the 6 months is required, then it is required, period. If it is not required, then the cruiseline generally won't require it either...it's a worst case rule that they print.

The six month requirement is imposed by countries, not by cruise lines. Most Carnival cruises do not even require a passport, so one approaching the expiration would not be a problem on the closed loop cruises from US ports

The six month requirement is imposed by countries, not by cruise lines. Most Carnival cruises do not even require a passport, so one approaching the expiration would not be a problem on the closed loop cruises from US ports

While mass market cruise lines such as Carnival usually require nothing beyond what the law requires, cruise lines have the right to impose requirements beyond applicable laws and regulations, and in fact it's quite common for luxury cruise lines to do so. They commonly require all passengers to have passports with 6 months validity regardless of whether any countries on the itinerary have that requirement.

Almost ev ery cruise, someone gets left behind for not having required documents.Youcould be denied b oarding if your travel documents (passports) dodnot comply with stated requirements,.

Edited by sail7seas

How strict are the cruiselines (specifically Carnival) on the "passport must be good for 6 months after the cruise"?

We have passports that will be expiring the first quarter of next year and we are thinking about booking a cruise in November. I'm a little hesitant to renew at this time because our house is on the market and we anticipate an address change, and don't want to jeopardize those being mis-directed, lost, or never received.

Just seems like I'm losing 6 months of the passport that I paid for if I can't use it during that time frame.

Assuming that you are cruising round trip out of a US port, it is not an issue at all, as long as the passports are valid on the day you return home.

The doom and gloomers above really paid no attention to your question which is specific to Carnival, not the luxury lines, and since you don't even need a passport for a closed loop cruise your documents will comply with the stated requirements. Simply ignore those responses.

Edited by zqvol

Round trip, closed loop, US citizen? if 'yes', see below...:)

If you are worried, leave your passport at home and take your birth certificate and a photo ID. Birth Certificates do not expire.

In short, Carnival doesn't care as long as you have acceptable ID.

yName calling asideyou,can be denied boarding

I renewed mypassport recently and lost about 4-5 monthsmany of us come up short swhen we renew. NN a big deal, IMO

Edited by sail7seas

Assuming that you are cruising round trip out of a US port, it is not an issue at all, as long as the passports are valid on the day you return home.

The doom and gloomers above really paid no attention to your question which is specific to Carnival, not the luxury lines, and since you don't even need a passport for a closed loop cruise your documents will comply with the stated requirements. Simply ignore those responses.

I paid full attention to the OP's question and addressed Carnival in my first sentence. You apparently neglected to read the post I quoted, which was factually incorrect because it said that only countries, not cruise lines, impose these requirements. That assertion is flat-out wrong.

By the way, since the OP didn't say what cruise itinerary they are considering how can you be so sure that it won't include a country that imposes a six month requirement?

Edited by njhorseman

I paid full attention to the OP's question and addressed Carnival in my first sentence. You apparently neglected to read the post I quoted, which was factually incorrect because it said that only countries, not cruise lines, impose these requirements. That assertion is flat-out wrong.

By the way, since the OP didn't say what cruise itinerary they are considering how can you be so sure that it won't include a country that imposes a six month requirement?

agree^^^.....

In the grand scheme of things, its a small cost when you consider a passport is good for 10 years.

The 6 month rule, for the most part, is a recommendation. As stated if a country or cruise line requires it then and only then would it be an issue. Carnival does not require it and no country that I am aware of on a closed loop cruise requires it for cruise ship passengers. Personally I will let my personal travel plans dictate when I renew my passport and not the expiration date (so if I have no immediate travel plans around the time it expires I will <gasp> let the thing expire until such time as I need it again :) ).

A U.S passport is valid for 10 years and the cost is 110 dollars, that means that you would lose 5.50 dollar. I couldn't care less for that kind of money when it comes to a passport.

The 6 month rule, for the most part, is a recommendation. As stated if a country or cruise line requires it then and only then would it be an issue. Carnival does not require it and no country that I am aware of on a closed loop cruise requires it for cruise ship passengers. Personally I will let my personal travel plans dictate when I renew my passport and not the expiration date (so if I have no immediate travel plans around the time it expires I will <gasp> let the thing expire until such time as I need it again :) ).

I know of one country that Carnival now visits on a closed loop cruise Caribbean cruise where they are requiring 6 months remaining passport validity: Cuba.

As other US-based cruise lines start offering itineraries that include Cuba, the 6 month requirement will become increasingly common for Caribbean cruises.

I don't understand someone risking b eing denied boaabrding bec ause they delayed renewing their passport. I know for sure there are people on almost EVERY cruise who do not board.

I know of one country that Carnival now visits on a closed loop cruise Caribbean cruise where they are requiring 6 months remaining passport validity: Cuba.

The OP specifically asked about a Carnival Cruise Line cruise.

Carnival Cruise Line does not visit Cuba, nor are there any upcoming visits by Carnival Cruise Line.

the CRUISELINE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

the COUNTRIES on the itinerary determine whether or not the 6 months rule is strictly adhered to. and I know there are a few that DO require it to be six months and you WILL be denied permission to cruise if your passport does not meet that requirement.

the cruise line gets in trouble/fined if they permit people to board who do not meet the entry requirements. nobody cares if you claim to not plan on leaving the shipping the port.

Carnival Cruise Line does not visit Cuba, nor are there any upcoming visits by Carnival Cruise Line.

You can access the Fathom website directly from the Carnival website. In fact if you look at carnival.com There's a big green box on Carnival's home page that says "Cuba?" and "Book Now Cuba". Although the cruises are technically offered on Fathom, it can easily be construed to be a Carnival cruise.

yName calling asideyou,can be denied boarding

I renewed mypassport recently and lost about 4-5 monthsmany of us come up short swhen we renew. NN a big deal, IMO

I lost nearly 2 years on mine, as I was almost out of pages - based on the number required by each country on my recent cruise. While annoying, not the end of the world.

If the original poster is concerned about it being lost in the mail due to a move, it might be worth the extra to pay for overnight mail so that it is trackable on the way back.

Carnival Cruise Line does not visit Cuba, nor are there any upcoming visits by I]sn't Fathom Carnival?[/b]

Edited by sail7seas

the CRUISELINE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

the COUNTRIES on the itinerary determine whether or not the 6 months rule is strictly adhered to. and I know there are a few that DO require it to be six months and you WILL be denied permission to cruise if your passport does not meet that requirement.

the cruise line gets in trouble/fined if they permit people to board who do not meet the entry requirements. nobody cares if you claim to not plan on leaving the shipping the port.

Cruise lines can and do impose requirements beyond what the laws and regulations say. For example Regent Seven Seas requires all passengers on all itineraries to have a passport with 6 months va!idity regardless of whether any ports of call on the itinerary require it. So, both the cruise lines and the countries being visited have a hand in setting the requirements. The minimum is what the countries require but the cruise lines can go beyond that.

I'm a little hesitant to renew at this time because our house is on the market and we anticipate an address change, and don't want to jeopardize those being mis-directed, lost, or never received.

Would you not be notifying the Post Office of an address change regardless of applying for passports? Seems like it's "what you do" when you move (being honest here, not sarcastic). But there is expedited service for a fee, if you wish.