Prescription meds questions

mom22boys

Me again! I take several prescription meds, including insulin quik pen. We are driving to our port. Do I still need to keep everything in original bottles? A daily pill box would be much easier!

Depends on where you are cruising to.

Any controlled substances such as narcotics, sedatives, benzodiazepines need to be in their original container. Otherwise it is okay to put your pills in a day box. I would recommend taking your insulin pen in its original packaging. Some people take copies of their scripts with them to show that they are prescribed those drugs. I travel over 90 days a year and have never been asked about my meds.

Edited by MommaBear55

I bring my Valium in a random pill bottle with Tylenol and Zantac in it. I hardly need it so if they want to get super picky and confiscate it then go ahead. They have never bothered to look at it or ask about it and I have had it in both my checked and carry on. I don't think they would ever ask unless they noticed a LOT of pills. They are more worried about people returning with stuff is my guess but again, customs has never once asked to see any of my stuff.

There are many good reasons, NEVER to bulk pack a bunch of pills in unmarked containers. A significant one- is NO heath care professional, is going to "guess" at anything. A "piece" of paper, may also not be enough. Having the pill bottles, with the script, dispensing information is a big time saver in an emergency. Easy, fast, verification information- all there. I just don't understand the "inconvenience" a few, pill bottles are to some people? (and don't assume, I don't "know", I traveled with someone who had over 20 different meds, and all remained in the original packaging- with several emergencies during travel)

Ive brought controlled substances in pill boxes and no one said anything about it.

I never could understand the 'I did it before with no problem' answer for many posts to different questions.

To the original OP and to anyone taking prescription meds, If you fainted on deck and needed medical help, will someone know every pill and every dose that you are taking so an emergency person will be able to give you someone that wont badly interact with what you are taking?

its so much safer to take your prescription bottles or at minimum a list of all of your meds, the amount and dosage information too.

its not only about 'people saying something'. its about your own safety

In 45 cruises I have packed my meds in the daily dose containers and have never had an issue. I do take a Schedule 3 medication for seizures but I keep that in individual dose bottles and carry the original box with me. I have never been asked about it at the cruise port or airport.

You are leaving from a U.S. cruise port and the screening is minimal. The screening in Customs upon your return is also less invasive than the airport.

However, I do bring copies of each of my prescriptions and have them in my carry on. The "official" ruling is that they should be in their original container and have the prescription with you. BTW: With electronic prescriptions it can be a pain in the rear to get copies of them. The pharmacy must print or screen print each one. The days of the paper script are going away fast. BTW: I have never been asked to produce the scripts.

If I am flying into another country for an extended stay then I take the medication in its original container. I take a number of medications.

The red flag goes off when you have LARGE amounts of meds in bottles. Heavy vitamin users are the ones who often get flagged for this.

My recommendation is just take the daily dose box and leave it in your carry on.

Take care,

Mike

I save 1 prescription bottle for each drug I take, including OTC. I take enough of each to cover the days I will be gone, plus a few extra days. When I get on the ship I put everything in pill boxes and toss the bottles before disembarking. I take 4 prescription meds plus vitamin d supplements so it adds up to quite a few pills.

I don't want to take any chances with drugs. I will be slightly inconvenienced by taking those bottles.

Me again! I take several prescription meds, including insulin quik pen. We are driving to our port. Do I still need to keep everything in original bottles? A daily pill box would be much easier!

This is a frequently discussed topic. You get some people who say they must be in the original bottles, you get some that say the boxes are fine. You are going to have to make your own decision, but I will say that I have never read a thread where anyone claims to have been stopped or delayed when carrying their medicines in a daily pill box.

This is a frequently discussed topic. You get some people who say they must be in the original bottles, you get some that say the boxes are fine. You are going to have to make your own decision, but I will say that I have never read a thread where anyone claims to have been stopped or delayed when carrying their medicines in a daily pill box.

I have but it wasn't on a cruise. I was transiting Munich airport and the security officer looked in my purse and saw my pillbox. She told me to take it out and open it up. She was really surprised when she saw all my earrings nicely arranged in each little box :D. She looked a little flustered and waved me through, not even asking me to open the meds in their original containers that were in my carry-on.

I normally take 3 prescription meds but just returned from a river cruise in France where I was on 3 additional meds including an opiate. Everything was in their original containers and no one looked twice. Of course they show up on the xray has easily identifiable pill boxes. I'm still glad I carried the original containers (as recommended by the State Dept.: "To avoid questions or delays at customs or immigration, keep medications in their original, labeled containers." https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/older-traveler.html).

And although I had never thought of it before reading one of these threads years ago, my DH would never know what meds I was taking (even though I've been on one of them for 30 years and the other two for over 10 years) if asked when I was having a medical emergency. Having the information handy in the case of an emergency is now more important to me than not getting inconvenienced at customs or immigration in another country.

There are many good reasons, NEVER to bulk pack a bunch of pills in unmarked containers. A significant one- is NO heath care professional, is going to "guess" at anything. A "piece" of paper, may also not be enough. Having the pill bottles, with the script, dispensing information is a big time saver in an emergency. Easy, fast, verification information- all there. I just don't understand the "inconvenience" a few, pill bottles are to some people? (and don't assume, I don't "know", I traveled with someone who had over 20 different meds, and all remained in the original packaging- with several emergencies during travel)

My father( lives in Lyncourt) has a small carry on JUST for his own personal pharmacy. he also has a separate sheet of paper with every Rx, dosage, doctor's contact info and insurance info that slips easily into a pocket in said carry on. the only meds he brings in non original containers are things Like tylenol and Motrin, since he buys them in the bulk containers at Costco. those get slipped into old Rx bottles. he's been on two cruises this year and has at least one more scheduled.

I agree, it is NOT that big of a deal to keep everything in original containers.

as for mixing meds in a bottle.. very bad idea. very very bad idea. all it takes is to be in the dark, or without your glasses, or a little tipsy and you accidentally take the wrong drug and the risk of interaction, reaction or just plain bad things happening are way too great for comfort.

next time you are in Liverpool, have a Coney for me at Heid's.

Edited by spookwife

If you are not flying no worries about not bringing them in bottles.

Yes, as noted it can depend where your cruise ends. Would be a problem in Dubai or Singapore but I am assuming your cruise ends in the USA so no issues.

Keith

I never could understand the 'I did it before with no problem' answer for many posts to different questions.

To the original OP and to anyone taking prescription meds, If you fainted on deck and needed medical help, will someone know every pill and every dose that you are taking so an emergency person will be able to give you someone that wont badly interact with what you are taking?

its so much safer to take your prescription bottles or at minimum a list of all of your meds, the amount and dosage information too.

its not only about 'people saying something'. its about your own safety

If I faint on deck, I am 100% certain that no one is going to send a crew member to ransack my cabin, looking for pill bottles. By the time he/she looked up my cabin number, got there and had a look, I would either have died or regained consciousness and been able to tell them about any medication. If someone is on tricky medication, far better to wear a medicalert bracelet, surely.

Any controlled substances such as narcotics, sedatives, benzodiazepines need to be in their original container. Otherwise it is okay to put your pills in a day box. I would recommend taking your insulin pen in its original packaging. Some people take copies of their scripts with them to show that they are prescribed those drugs. I travel over 90 days a year and have never been asked about my meds.

There's a zillion CC threads regarding this.

The "gold standard" of Rx verification for patients is what many pharmacists refer to as a "back panel." It is a list of your scripts on pharmacy stationery with ID info including patient name and birthdate, medication name/number/dose and description (often with a thumbnail photo image), doctor's name and script date. Thus, "back panel" and daily pill box is sufficient.

No US govt. agency requires original pill bottles (which could have something different in them). And a few foreign countries have issues with narcotics regardless of how you carry them.

My DH many, many medications.

When traveling, I keep them in their original bottles.

We have had TSA look into the medical bag and check a couple of the bottles several times. Shortly after 9/11 we had an agent that dumped all of DH's pills on a table to look at them. We were furious but could say nothing. When we got to our hotel, I spent a couple of hours cleaning the pills and sorting them.

DH can't use one of those daily pill boxes -- not big enough for him.

We both carry with us a card that indicates what he takes, when he is to take the medications and the dosage -- everywhere we go -- even the grocery store. You never know if something will happen to you.

I carry my abuterol inhaler and an "EpiPen". I used to not carry the boxes with me. A few years ago, I had a TSA idiot tell me I could not take the inhaler with me because I did not have the box with the prescription label on it. It took awhile, arguing with said idiot and then asking for the supervisor and the supervisor chastising me with the old "we'll let it go this time, but you are required to have the prescription" BS. What I do now: Flatten the boxes and keep them in my Kippie bag so they are always available. Now, if I get another TSA idiot on a power trip who tells me the inhaler and 'Pen need to be INSIDE said boxes, I will bypass the supervisor and ask directly for the manager. It only takes once encounter with stupid people doing what should be a serious job...

What "rules?"

If travelling through customs or an airport yes there are rules.

I found out the hard way at the US customs when my daughter's friend had her allergy meds in a plastic bag. We sat there for the next hour while they cross referenced the pills in their books to see if they were what she said they were... Customs officer was good enough to show us the regs where all meds must be in the original container.... Lesson learned. :)

Take the paper handouts that come with each prescription. One page has all of the pharmacy, dosage, doctor info. Take that page from all of the handouts and scan them onto your phone and Ipad. Then you have copies of all of your meds info.