This may be a dumb question, but...

Tntlpn

Which is the port side and which is starboard? Is there an advantage of one side over the other?

Also when can you get show tickets and where?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Port four letters = left, also four letters.

Show tickets? Which ship?

Going on Navigator Feb 12. Nassau and Cozumel. So I got the port side then.

To your earlier question, there are no shows on board that require any tickets other than the Ice Show, which are issued once on board. This is due to the size of the venue to assure a show available to all passengers. All other shows are open access and do not require reservations.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Going on Navigator Feb 12. Nassau and Cozumel. So I got the port side then.

Hi, if this is RC Navigator of the Seas, you don't need to get tickets for shows, there are usually 2 shows each night to fit in with dinner (but you can go to either) and the allocate the ice show on your muster station so will put in the compass which time and date you should go.

hope this helps.

My husband and I dated by boat long before we were old enough to drive-- back in 1958! He taught me "Jack LEFT PORT wearing a red shirt". That means leaving port you go to the left, port, side of red channel markers. The other markers are green. That's how I learned port meant left so starboard meant the other side, right.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Makes no difference as far as ports of call. Ship may dock either way.

On RC I usually check to see which side of the ship is the designated smoking area. Since balconies are nonsmoking and have not had problems with that, I prefer not to have a balcony directly over the side of the ship with smoking. Didn't do this once and found that the smoke definitely drifted and was noticeable on my balcony.

Port simply means "left"....it doesn't mean that's the side facing your ports!!!

78,000 posts and virtually all of them wrong or off topic. Port only means left when facing the bow. It means right when facing the stern. As usual, CB, thanks.

My husband and I dated by boat long before we were old enough to drive-- back in 1958! He taught me "Jack LEFT PORT wearing a red shirt". That means leaving port you go to the left, port, side of red channel markers. The other markers are green. That's how I learned port meant left so starboard meant the other side, right.

While your husband's ditty is correct, your interpretation is not correct, and if you leave port with the red buoys on your right ("go to the left, port, side") you will be in a whole lot of trouble. The ditty you quote combines two facts, one that port is left (facing the bow), and that the red is on the left when leaving port. So, leaving port you go to the right of red buoys. Mariners use a simpler one: "red right returning", meaning the red buoys are on the right when returning (entering) port.

There are VERY few times when side of the ship actually matters.

It matters to me. as many times as I have sailed into and out of ports, including the same ports a num ber of times. I enjoy watching dock ing, throwing the lines, lowering the gangways.etc. I like the view to a port when docked especially if we have chosen to stay aboard.

Edited by sail7seas

Which is the port side and which is starboard? Is there an advantage of one side over the other?

Port = Left

Starboard = Right

best way to remember that is Port and Left have the same number of letters.

if you are a smoker, ( or not) there is a definitely need to choose one side over the other as only one side of the ship permits outdoor smoking in most cases( and also only one 2 decks which can also influence cabin location especially for the chain smokers)

the pointy end of the ship is Forward/Fore

the back end is Aft

as for shows, depends on several factors. some ships /lines do not let you pre reserve at all. others you must do so online once it becomes an option. still others you are given a date and time to attend a certain show( Royal's ice show comes to mind)

Is there an advantage of one side over the other?

Not usually but one time it can make a difference would be for transatlantics (or Pacific or any one-way route really). For example on an Eastbound TA there might be a little more sunshine on Starboard balconies. Varies a little depending on how far north the destination is and departure port. Plot route using the ruler in GoogleEarth and adjust for date/sun angle.

Alaska one-ways work the same way except for the difference is morning or afternoon sun (or more common brighter spot in the cloudy sky). Some prefer Starboard on NB (Port for SB) for taller mountains to the east but in reality they are hidden in clouds or by front ranges most of the time so the view each way is pretty much the same.

There are VERY few times when side of the ship actually matters.

i

It matters to me. as many times as I havew sailed into and out of ports, including the same ports a num ber of times. I enjoy warchinvg terh doceing, throwing the lines, lowering the gangways.etc. I like he view to a port when docked especially if we have chosen to stay aboard.

i

It matters to me. as many times as I havew sailed into and out of ports, including the same ports a num ber of times. I enjoy warchinvg terh doceing, throwing the lines, lowering the gangways.etc. I like he view to a port when docked especially if we have chosen to stay aboard.

But a "port side" room doesn't mean you'll be docked facing the port. so there's quite a bit of guessing as to which side, will in fact, be facing the port. Depends on several factors, some of which you may not have prior knowledge of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you stand on the ship and face the front (bow), the port side is to your left. The starboard side is to your right. The stern or aft is behind you.

If you are on the ship and facing the back the port side will be on your right and the starboard on your left.

Generally there is no real difference between the sides.

Getting tickets to show is a cruise line specific question that you should ask on that lines's forum.