Anyone else diet and workout before cruising

renjrusa

Since I usually plan our cruises in at least 6 months in advance was wondering how everyone else prepares for their vacations. I don't drink alcohol anymore but will indulge in all the other tempting things on a cruise from the buffet and and MDR to the self serve ice cream.. I sacrifice now by going to the gym and getting in shape and losing a few pounds. Whats your plan?

I belong to 2 Gym's and exercise 7 days a week ,365 days a year .

When cruising I eat whatever I desire but every day at 7AM I am in the ship's Fitness Center .

I try and walk between 2 and 5 miles in each port ,walk as much as possible on the ship and up and down stairs.

I diet before, and eat reasonably on the ship. It's all about portion control! Yes, that omelette is awesome...but it's way too much. Hubby & I will split one (60/40) and call it good. I do the 3 bite dessert rule and I'm good to go. We walk each day and keep active. I don't think I've ever gained more than two lbs on a trip. Not perfect...but not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have lost two pounds on each of our last two cruises by by eating only HALF of everything (except for two chocolate chip cookies each day) and avoiding pasta/bread. I did slip and ate almost all of the decadent chocolate pecan pie at Thanksgiving dinner on the Ms Zuiderdam.

Making a determined effort to walk from the front to the rear of the ship several times a day is my regimen for weight control with not much effort.

A crash program to lose weight before a cruise, aside from being an inconvenient disruption of normal routine, is likely to be a waste of time if you want to pig out on the cruise. At the end of the day, you will be in better shape if you spend a bit of your free time on board being a bit active, and simply not overdo things in the dining room, bars and lido.

Your established metabolism will virtually guarantee regaining a few pounds in just a few days of letting yourself go after a crash program --- which will only make you feel entitled to eat/drink everything in sight as a reward.

I would guess a huge percentage of those of us who cruise,, diet , exercise a bit prior to all our cruises. :) Just you asking, indi cates, you prrobably hav e an idea, you have lots of company in your quest to 'prepare well for our cruises.

My wife and I often do the 'Lose to cruise' prior to a planned cruise, it is normally around 8-6 weeks prior where the main aspects are increased exercise (walking each day) , cutting out snack eating and limiting our alcohol intake.:D

We avoid the temptation of the 'Loose to cruise' stuff by only booking last minute cruises.:D

Last March when we cruised, I was six months in to Weight Watchers and had already lost 25 of the 35 pounds I was working on. I knew I would not be counting points while on vacation, but also knew I would make as many smart choices as I could.

It was the first trip with my new FitBit and let me tell you, the commitment to walk and use the stairs as much as possible MUST have contributed to the mere one pound of weight I gained over 10 days.

My husband and I walked every morning, doing 2.5-3 miles on deck. That plus all the other walking meant I averaged close to 15,000 steps a day...and using the stairs instead of the elevator had me climbing at least 35 flights a day.

I made sure I drank plenty of water. Breakfasts always included fresh fruit...lunch almost always was a large salad. My only real splurge was dinner. I ate all three courses, enjoying dessert every night. I also enjoyed my wine and Amaretto each evening.

This March we'll do the same. I'm at my goal weight now (and have been for 7 months) and hoping now to just drop an extra pound or two to give me more flexibility...but I plan to eat and exercise just like we did last March.

A crash program to lose weight before a cruise, aside from being an inconvenient disruption of normal routine, is likely to be a waste of time if you want to pig out on the cruise. At the end of the day, you will be in better shape if you spend a bit of your free time on board being a bit active, and simply not overdo things in the dining room, bars and lido.

Your established metabolism will virtually guarantee regaining a few pounds in just a few days of letting yourself go after a crash program --- which will only make you feel entitled to eat/drink everything in sight as a reward.

No crash program, just stepping up the exercise and cutting back on a few of the things that we indulge in normally.

Last March when we cruised, I was six months in to Weight Watchers and had already lost 25 of the 35 pounds I was working on. I knew I would not be counting points while on vacation, but also knew I would make as many smart choices as I could.

It was the first trip with my new FitBit and let me tell you, the commitment to walk and use the stairs as much as possible MUST have contributed to the mere one pound of weight I gained over 10 days.

My husband and I walked every morning, doing 2.5-3 miles on deck. That plus all the other walking meant I averaged close to 15,000 steps a day...and using the stairs instead of the elevator had me climbing at least 35 flights a day.

I made sure I drank plenty of water. Breakfasts always included fresh fruit...lunch almost always was a large salad. My only real splurge was dinner. I ate all three courses, enjoying dessert every night. I also enjoyed my wine and Amaretto each evening.

This March we'll do the same. I'm at my goal weight now (and have been for 7 months) and hoping now to just drop an extra pound or two to give me more flexibility...but I plan to eat and exercise just like we did last March.

Congratulations on reaching your goal and maintaining your weight. My goal is much smaller as I am only trying to lose 15-20lbs by june. I had disc surgery last year and took a year off from going to the gym and am back everyday now..

Last month was the first cruise in a long time where I gained weight. I couldn't use the stairs all the time like I usually do since I had bruised my knees in a fall the day before we boarded the ship. I'd like to lose a few pounds between now and our cruise next month just to have a little bit of a cushion in case I gain weight again.

I do not do anything different for a vacation/cruise than what I do in my everyday life. I wear the same clothes, eat the same amount of food. I actually workout more on vacation, with always doing stairs when possible and walking a lot on the ship and on land. I don't have the desire to "put on the feedbag" on vacation; my body will already react to changes in location, weather, and new types of food, and I don't want to add overeating to it. My one concession to a vacation is that I will grab a slice or two of bacon to eat in addition to my granola and yogurt or muesli at breakfast. I'm not a dessert person for the most part, so I bypass those offerings onboard. On a land vacation, I will indulge in a local dessert once in awhile, but it is by no means an every day thing.