re meat pies

8 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Doesn't everything taste like chicken............lol

The only thing which is a big no no is white wine with pizza..... it doesn't taste right....

Cheers Don

True, red wine with pizza, but try white wine with a seafood pizza, prawns, smoked salmon etc.

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't think I've ever had crumbed scallops. I usually just quickly pan-fry them.

Agree they have to be cooked quickly.  I had fresh breadcrumbs for whiting fillets, so used them for scallops as well. 

I learnt to cook seafood from my great aunt who cooked the best delicious seafood on a single burner metho stove.  

When I was very young my great uncle used to throw me a fish, so I could say I caught it!

4 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Doesn't everything taste like chicken............lol

The only thing which is a big no no is white wine with pizza..... it doesn't taste right....

Cheers Don

A pinot grigio goes very well with pizza of all types, especially on a hot day when a chilled white wine is more refreshing than a red wine 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A pinot grigio goes very well with pizza of all types, especially on a hot day when a chilled white wine is more refreshing than a red wine 

I am quite partial to a pinot grigio.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Actually we are having Chicken Tonight  ( no jar )... with a Sav Blanc

( dead chook topped with pepper, garlic, cheese, ham, and pineapple )

Cheers Don

I'm having free range chicken tonight in a salad.  Any leftover will be on a toasted sandwich tomorrow.  

For lunch I had two Japanese wraps of black rice and portobello mushrooms. 

Edited by MMDown Under

I'm making curried lamb filo wraps using up the last of a lamb roast, with raita and mango chutney on the side.

Also I've just started a batch of turkey noodle soup. I use turkey wings for this. They have been roasted for about 45 mins to get some caramelization then put into my big stock pot with onion, celery, carrot and parsley. That will simmer very slowly overnight. Tomorrow I'll make the soup with diced onion, carrot, celery and swede sauteed on the turkey fat, then simmered in the stock. I break thin spaghetti into 1cm pieces and add that to the soup. The turkey meat is stripped from the bones and shredded and added to the soup last. After adjusting the seasoning it gets portioned out into single serves, frozen and then vac-packed. Then it's on hand for those times when we want a light meal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good on you folks, living well in the lucky country, think I will have a microwaved Woollies chicken and veg cottage pie 2 for $11 on special, dont think it is free range chook, origin unknown, probably inhumane chicken slaughterhouse in China. Washed down with a couple of glasses of de bortoli sem chard, chateau cardboard variety. Life is tough, the pre dinner Tassie whiskey and ice plus cashew nuts are going down well though, dont worry uncle is not starving.  I just cannot bother cooking for one some nights.

Edited by NSWP

Don't worry, Les, there's nothing wrong with a pre-made cottage pie. 

Some nights I can't be bothered cooking dinner and if DH is in the same mood we get takeaways or dig something out of the freezer. Last night was Chinese takeaways from FooGoo, excellent fried rice, yummy black pepper beef, and some salt and pepper prawns. They seem to be the best takeaway place in Lane Cove, the food always arrives very quickly and hot.

I do try to plan ahead for times like that though. If I'm making something that will freeze well I make a batch of it and freeze the extra serves. I'm making extra of the curried lamb filo wrap filling, by adding lots of veges, and that should give me two serves to freeze for another time.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Don't worry, Les, there's nothing wrong with a pre-made cottage pie. 

Some nights I can't be bothered cooking dinner and if DH is in the same mood we get takeaways or dig something out of the freezer. Last might was Chinese takeaways from FooGoo, excellent fried rice, yummy black pepper beef, and some salt and pepper prawns. They seem to be the best takeaway place in Lane Cove, the food always arrives very quickly and hot.

I do try to plan ahead for times like that though. If I'm making something that will freeze well I make a batch of it and freeze the extra serves. I'm making extra of the curried lamb filo wrap filling, by adding lots of veges, and that should give me two serves to freeze for another time.

First prize for your culinary expertise and ideas, thank you. When my son and his mob came down from Riverview for fathers day weekend, i kept it simple out for dinner and bbq brunch next day, thats the way it is. Good idea making extra meals, if i do a cook up, like curry or casserole or spag bol, i make 3 portios, eat one, freeze the rest, way to go, thank you.

Edited by NSWP

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Good on you folks,ving well in the lucky country, think I will have a microwaved Woollies chicken and veg cottage pie 2 for $11 on special, dont think it is free range chook, origin unknown, probably inhumane chicken slaughterhouse in China. Washed down with a couple of glasses of de bortoli sem chard, chateau cardboard variety. Life is tough, the pre dinner Tassie whiskey and ice plus cashew nuts are going down well though, dont worry uncle is not starving.  I just cannot bother cooking for one some nights.

Don't you have to heat pies in the oven?  As long as they are Aussie product you should be right. Many of us aren't in the mood for cooking at night.  I'm a morning person. 

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm making curried lamb filo wraps using up the last of a lamb roast, with raita and mango chutney on the side.

Also I've just started a batch of turkey noodle soup. I use turkey wings for this. They have been roasted for about 45 mins to get some caramelization then put into my big stock pot with onion, celery, carrot and parsley. That will simmer very slowly overnight. Tomorrow I'll make the soup with diced onion, carrot, celery and swede sauteed on the turkey fat, then simmered in the stock. I break thin spaghetti into 1cm pieces and add that to the soup. The turkey meat is stripped from the bones and shredded and added to the soup last. After adjusting the seasoning it gets portioned out into single serves, frozen and then vac-packed. Then it's on hand for those times when we want a light meal. 

Your turkey noodle soup sounds delicious. I regularly eat turkey in the US, but I've never cooked turkey in Australia. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Your turkey noodle soup sounds delicious. I regularly eat turkey in the US, but I've never cooked turkey in Australia. 

I love turkey and even though there is often just the two of us at Christmas I'll get a small turkey and roast it. Then we have cold turkey, turkey sandwiches, and epic turkey croquettes. Last Christmas I used the carcass to make noodle soup and we decided we liked it so much I started buying the turkey wings from Woollies and making them into soup. They are good for soup as they fit into the pot better than turkey legs.

53 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Don't you have to heat pies in the oven?  As long as they are Aussie product you should be right. Many of us aren't in the mood for cooking at night.  I'm a morning person. 

These ones, conventional oven or microwave. Cottage pies are not pastry, basically savoury mince with potato on top, i did mine, 4 mins in microwave and 4 mins under oven grill to brown, not bad.

54 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

We always cooked a giant turkey for christmas, bit of an effort but worth it, recent years we did a turkey buffe, the breast. Nice.

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Or one could  go the old way ...... Hawaiian Pizza and Beer.....

Actually we are having Chicken Tonight  ( no jar )... with a Sav Blanc

( dead chook topped with pepper, garlic, cheese, ham, and pineapple )

Cheers Don

Livin the dream again don, enjoy, leave the garlic out of my portion please.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm having free range chicken tonight in a salad.  Any leftover will be on a toasted sandwich tomorrow.  

For lunch I had two Japanese wraps of black rice and portobello mushrooms. 

Does a free range chook taste any different, i dont know, i just get the bbq chook from the supermarket.

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Livin the dream again don, enjoy, leave the garlic out of my portion please.

Not a problem... no garlic... and a bonus bottle of merlot...

Will be in the mail in morning for you Les

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Does a free range chook taste any different, i dont know, i just get the bbq chook from the supermarket.

Ahhh   BBQ Chook , add chips, chilli sauce, and some sparkling wine....

bingo   a feast for a king

Good evening.... and cheers Don......   dinner is almost ready... time to light the candle

39 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We always cooked a giant turkey for christmas, bit of an effort but worth it, recent years we did a turkey buffe, the breast. Nice.

We tend to have turkey buffe these days too Les. No waste really and easy to cook. We heard today on the news, there is likely to be a shortage of hams for Christmas. I hope not.

Leigh