re meat pies

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

The best thing about Guinness and Kilkenny is you gat a little show as the beer falls to form the lovely head.

It is a pleasant show, that head rising, you have to be patient.

46 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My mother made jelly cakes, which is basically the same as the pink lamington but used patty/cup cakes instead. Then topped with cream. So yum.

Leigh

I think they are more commonly known as jelly cakes in Australia. I've seen them both as oblongs and cupcakes. Definately yum!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My mother made jelly cakes, which is basically the same as the pink lamington but used patty/cup cakes instead. Then topped with cream. So yum.

Leigh

Using Aeroplane Jelly of course....I like Aeroplane Jelly, Aeroplane Jelly for me...as the  song goes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Same Lyle, widget cans for both, they come from Dublin. Some city pubs and clubs have kilkenny and guinness on tap, but not here.

Uncle Les, if we ever get a chance to catch up around Penrith, I will take you to the Gael's Club at Kingswood for a small (?) glass or two.

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

"I like it for dinner, I like it for tea".

When did we start calling "dinner", "lunch" and "tea", "dinner"?

Dinner was traditionally used for the main meal of the day so if your main meal was at midday you had dinner and tea, otherwise it was lunch and dinner. Lunch and tea were traditionally lighter meals.

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Stopped by the Baker's Den at Blacksmiths to grab some lunch.

Lamb and Sweet Potato pie

Cream Lamington

Cherry and Pistachio slice.

Yummo

IMG_20201008_121705360[1].jpg

Haven’t been there for years must make a trip their pies used to be great and the lamb one sounds worth the trip. Not a fan if strawberry icing on Lamingtons but.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Haven’t been there for years must make a trip their pies used to be great and the lamb one sounds worth the trip. Not a fan if strawberry icing on Lamingtons but.

The pie was one of the best I've had in a long while. Big chunks of lamb, visible pieces of sweet potato and nice thick gravy.

This bakery hasn't been there very long. You weren't thinking about the one near the main shops off the highway were you. I tried their pies years ago and was unimpressed.

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I didn't know that.  I'll have to try them in NZ next visit if they ever let us in again.  

Keep an eye out for them at Gold Coast bakeries, you might be lucky to find one. However do not try the ones Woolies sells, they are horrible.

38 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The pie was one of the best I've had in a long while. Big chunks of lamb, visible pieces of sweet potato and nice thick gravy.

This bakery hasn't been there very long. You weren't thinking about the one near the main shops off the highway were you. I tried their pies years ago and was unimpressed.

Hmmm, must come up your way for a day trip to find this place. What other pies did they have?

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Dinner was traditionally used for the main meal of the day so if your main meal was at midday you had dinner and tea, otherwise it was lunch and dinner. Lunch and tea were traditionally lighter meals.

I remember it as dinner = lunch, and tea was the main meal of the day.

Perhaps you're thinking of afternoon tea.

5 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

We had dinner in the middle of the day. Tea the evening meal.

Supper was the late evening/night meal, usually at parties.

Of course, all of this confused by the wedding breakfast -- at any time of day.

We called our meals the same Adrian.

Leigh

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I remember it as dinner = lunch, and tea was the main meal of the day.

Perhaps you're thinking of afternoon tea.

No, the terms I used were the original definitions of the words.

I can't remember what my family used to call the evening meal most days but Sundays it was always dinner (roast) in the middle of the day, and tea was usually cold meat and salad. Afternoon tea would never have just been called tea but may have been referred to as a cup of tea which would have been served with a little cake or some biscuits. A proper afternoon tea had savouries and sweet cakes.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, the terms I used were the original definitions of the words.

I can't remember what my family used to call the evening meal most days but Sundays it was always dinner (roast) in the middle of the day, and tea was usually cold meat and salad. Afternoon tea would never have just been called tea but may have been referred to as a cup of tea which would have been served with a little cake or some biscuits. A proper afternoon tea had savouries and sweet cakes.

If you invited someone for Afternoon tea or morning tea, it would be a pot of tea in a cozy to keep tea hot plus scones, jam and cream, or cake, or pikelets with butter, plus ribbon sandwiches.  

When on cruises, I forgo a meal to enjoy a full afternoon tea.  On Ocean Princess, the server dressed formally would bring out a trolley with scones, jam and cream to passengers sitting out on deck.  One of the things which make cruising special.  

Edited by MMDown Under

afternoon-tea_1.jpg.05bfe5524d8bf3cd63a9d7dc11d5fbfe.jpg

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

If you invited someone for Afternoon tea or morning tea, it would be a pot of tea in a cozy to keep tea hot plus scones, jam and cream, or cake, or pikelets with butter, plus ribbon sandwiches.  

When on cruises, I forgo a meal to enjoy a full afternoon tea.  On Ocean Princess, the server dressed formally would bring out a trolley with scones, jam and cream to passengers sitting out on deck.  One of the things which make cruising special.  

In about 25 cruises, 18 of them on Princess we never went into the MDR for the posh arvo tea, not even on QM2, which is legendary. Our only digression was on a couple of occasions on Princess, the stewards pushed the arvo tea trolley around the promenade deck and we had a tea and small snack sometimes.  I don't think the arvo tea service on trolley is still on.

Formal arvo tea did not appeal as we always did 1st sitting dinner and for me it was the full Monty - 4 courses.  Even if a bit peckish there was always a snack in the Elite loung pre dinner from 5pm or whiz up to the buffet for some cheese and crackers for cabin drinks. 

Every day was the full English brekkie in the Horizon Court buffet or MDR, , none of that fruit and cereal rubbish.

But for my terminology re meals it is Breakfast, Luncheon and Dinner.   Nearly Smoko, sorry morning tea time, 

Edited by NSWP

We usually spend sea day afternoons in the Sanctuary on Princess so had afternoon tea served to our sunloungers. It varied from ship to ship, sometimes depending on how many people were using the Sanctuary. Somtimes it was just a plate of sandwiches and cakes, at other times large platters would be brought around for you to select from. We usually dine late so it filled in the gap nicely.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We usually spend sea day afternoons in the Sanctuary on Princess so had afternoon tea served to our sunloungers. It varied from ship to ship, sometimes depending on how many people were using the Sanctuary. Somtimes it was just a plate of sandwiches and cakes, at other times large platters would be brought around for you to select from. We usually dine late so it filled in the gap nicely.

You know, in all the cruises we never went to the Sanctuary, just gloated from a distance, she who was to be obeyed, god bless her, said it was a waste of money. Is it worth the money? 

Our first Princess afternoon tea was on the Diamond. It was a lovely hour or so choosing which of the beautiful food to eat. We met great people, two of who were our cabin neighbours, so we would catch up on our balconies. We only went once as we found there was just too much food and even though we ate late, we didn't do dinner justice. We tend to go to the buffet and collect a plate of corn chips and salsa to eat with pre dinner drinks if we are peckish.

Leigh