re meat pies

23 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Stopped by the Baker's Den at Blacksmiths to grab some lunch.

Lamb and Sweet Potato pie

Cream Lamington

Cherry and Pistachio slice.

Yummo

IMG_20201008_121705360[1].jpg

What a superb 3 course meal, lunch of champions.  Can I ask what the item with Tuborg is?  Tuborg being a Danish beer. Looks like a coaster.

Edited by NSWP

23 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Stopped by the Baker's Den at Blacksmiths to grab some lunch.

Lamb and Sweet Potato pie

Cream Lamington

Cherry and Pistachio slice.

Yummo

IMG_20201008_121705360[1].jpg

I'll share the lamb and sweet potato pie  You can have the rest.  

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

What a superb 3 course meal, lunch of champions.  Can I ask what the item with Tuborg is?  Tuborg being a Danish beer? Looks like a coaster.

It is a coaster. I came across Tuborg at a hotel I stayed in by the Dead Sea. The beer I had was a very nice dark ale. From what I have read Tuborg's lager style beers are just average.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 10:26 AM, NSWP said:

OK, back on topic, I was in my local IGA Store at Batehaven this morning, in the clearance section they had the Four n'Twenty Traveller pies, you know the long ones at a reduced price of $1.50 each, I checked the use buy date it was Jan 21.  So I bought half a dozen - 3 x classic meat and 3 x beef/cheese/bacon for when I have visitors, I like to give them a quality meal, lol. The pies are microwaveable. I reckon they are going off the market, hence clearance. 

Have a look at an IGA store near you, "The more you buy the more you save" and the 'more you eat the fatter you get.'😝

th (2).jpg

OK I dragged this one back...My daughter sampled the Four n'Twenty - Traveller Classic meat pie yesterday, microwaved it as suggested on the wrapper.  She said it was the worst pie ever, pastry a little hard, but the worst aspect was that there was hardly any meat or gravy inside, just a scraping, no wonder they were marked down at IGA, they are rubbish. I might sell the other 5 on E Bay or take them back to IGA for a refund.

Edited by NSWP

Lynn would be all over that lamb and sweet potato pie, I would choose something else. Was the Lamington a good example? We have a treat here called the Nanaimo Bar, you can get them almost everywhere but some just look the part if you know what I mean. That cherry slice is right up my alley.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lynn would be all over that lamb and sweet potato pie, I would choose something else. Was the Lamington a good example? We have a treat here called the Nanaimo Bar, you can get them almost everywhere but some just look the part if you know what I mean. That cherry slice is right up my alley.

No lamington is best plain.  When my children were at school, we used to have lamington fund raisers.  There would be working bees of mothers putting chocolate and coconut on slabs of plain sponge.  They would be sold by the half dozen or dozen. Now they are bigger, but sold individually.  So in your travels Down Under in the bush, if you see a half dozen or dozen lamingtons for sale buy them, because they will be nearer to the original. If they were made by the CWA, buy two dozen and freeze them!

Tuborg was my favourite beer for some time. I drifted away from it when I discovered Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager. I looked for it recently and it is made in Turkey now, kinda not Danish anymore. That would be like Bang & Olufsen stereo equipment made in China.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

It is a coaster. I came across Tuborg at a hotel I stayed in by the Dead Sea. The beer I had was a very nice dark ale. From what I have read Tuborg's lager style beers are just average.

Yes, Tuborg is rather commercial, like Carlsberg and some other Scandinavian beers.  OK on a hot day.

If I have a beer and I sneak about two per week in to be kind to my coeliac gut, although I am not supposed to have it because of the gluten, it is always a dark beer, porter or stout. I have some Monteith Black, I might sneak just one in at happy hour. It is 99.9% sugar free too, but tastes good. 5.2% abv.

th (4).jpg

Edited by NSWP

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Tuborg was my favourite beer for some time. I drifted away from it when I discovered Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager. I looked for it recently and it is made in Turkey now, kinda not Danish anymore. That would be like Bang & Olufsen stereo equipment made in China.

Like everything else Lyle, made overseas, cheaper production costs, the wages in Denmark are very high, compared to poor Turkey.  I bought some Kellogs Cornflakes today...made in South Korea.   Kellogs used to have a huge factory near Matraville, Sydney, my mother worked there in the late 60's, early 70's. Yes, she brought home all the reject packs of cornflakes, Special K etc.

And as you would know, no motor vehicle production in Australia these days, even the icons, Holden (GMH) and Ford have gone to Korea, Thailand, where ever.

Edited by NSWP

39 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

No lamington is best plain.  When my children were at school, we used to have lamington fund raisers.  There would be working bees of mothers putting chocolate and coconut on slabs of plain sponge.  They would be sold by the half dozen or dozen. Now they are bigger, but sold individually.  So in your travels Down Under in the bush, if you see a half dozen or dozen lamingtons for sale buy them, because they will be nearer to the original. If they were made by the CWA, buy two dozen and freeze them!

Pink lamingtons with cream are more of an NZ thing. They are dipped in raspberry jelly instead of chocolate icing.

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes, Tuborg is rather commercial, like Carlsberg and some other Scandinavian beers.  OK on a hot day.

If I have a beer and I sneak about two per week in to be kind to my coeliac gut, although I am not supposed to have it because of the gluten, it is always a dark beer, porter or stout. I have some Monteith Black, I might sneak just one in at happy hour. It is 99.9% sugar free too, but tastes good. 5.2% abv.

th (4).jpg

Monteith's Black is a very nice drop indeed.

The other day we dropped into our new Liquorland as DH had run out of beer. Every single Australian beer they had in stock was either an IPA or a lager, nothing darker than that. We didn't buy anything so will need to make a run to Dan's one day.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I would definitely be in the Raspberry camp. So I will find these Lamingtons in NZ and Oz?

It's hard to find them in Oz but you should find them in cake shops in NZ. Actually one of the supermarket chains there used to have OK ones too. 

• Thanks 1

Lyle, picked up from some tips from the good folk on here & some work visits to NZ, some must try's from me when in NZ:

- whitebait fritters on west coast of Sth Island - we had them in Haarst

- ' home made' sausage rolls from a rural cafe - we had them at the power station village/town nearly to Hamilton - can't think of the place right now. Also had them close to Ashburton on the road down from Christchurch

- roast lamb

- a hangi dinner, even if at one of the touristy places that hold them

- a cappuccino, which they will offer with chocolate on top or with cinnamon (which is definitely a Kiwi thing) - I had chocolate

- Monteiths Black ( as already recommended above)

Enjoy! 

• Thanks 1

My number 1 preferred beer is Kilkenny - I call it mothers milk.

You can't get it on tap at many pubs/clubs here, but it's worth it when you can get it. It needs to be poured and allowed to settle & then topped up to get it just right - it is an art to do this, and so it's best to drink at an Irish pub or club.

th?id=OIP.y_eSm11kzT79D7mPMnKbVAAAAA&w=127&h=170&rs=1&qlt=80&pid=3.1

8 minutes ago, mr walker said:

You can't get it on tap at many pubs/clubs here, but it's worth it when you can get it. It needs to be poured and allowed to settle & then topped up to get it just right - it is an art to do this, and so it's best to drink at an Irish pub or club.

I think we have Kilkenny on tap at a couple of pubs here, I will investigate and report back within a week.

Here we would buy Kilkenny in the can, it has a widget inside that gives it the trademark head. The canned Guinness has the same widget. The bottled product does not "fall" the same way.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Pink lamingtons with cream are more of an NZ thing. They are dipped in raspberry jelly instead of chocolate icing.

My mother made jelly cakes, which is basically the same as the pink lamington but used patty/cup cakes instead. Then topped with cream. So yum.

Leigh

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Monteith's Black is a very nice drop indeed.

The other day we dropped into our new Liquorland as DH had run out of beer. Every single Australian beer they had in stock was either an IPA or a lager, nothing darker than that. We didn't buy anything so will need to make a run to Dan's one day.

Dans had it as members special the other week, 6 for $15, normal price is $22. The more you drink the more you at Dans.lol.

52 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think we have Kilkenny on tap at a couple of pubs here, I will investigate and report back within a week.

Here we would buy Kilkenny in the can, it has a widget inside that gives it the trademark head. The canned Guinness has the same widget. The bottled product does not "fall" the same way.

Same Lyle, widget cans for both, they come from Dublin. Some city pubs and clubs have kilkenny and guinness on tap, but not here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Like pouring the widget cans. Let the head settle, like mothers milk indeed.

• Like 1