re meat pies

Here's a sample from my local at Swansea. The fish are large 'cocktail' pieces. Usually get three - two for me and one for the cat.

The chips in the pic are half a small serve. Too many for me to eat in one go so I put the rest into ziplock bags and freeze them for later.

IMG_20201120_123320084[1].jpg

Edited by lyndarra
i before e
  • Like 1

Our local, at Lane Cove West, has excellent fish and chips. Their serves are so big that one portion is enough for both of us. Sometimes DH decides to get a burger so we end up with enough fish for fish sandwiches for lunch next day.

We have 2 places that we prefer for fish and chips, one quite close about 5 km the other is about 20 km. Both have 4 oz. portions of cod or halibut, we always go for the halibut. For take out we get 4 pieces of fish and a medium chips, I get a small coleslaw because Lynn doesn't eat it and a large order of their house made tartar sauce. Every once in a while there is an extra piece of fish I guess they though one of the pieces was too small. We always finish the fish, if there are left over chips they are easy to re-heat. I sometimes chop them up and make a batch of corned beef hash for breakfast.

• Like 1

We had fish and chips tonight. When my husband went to buy them, the shop we normally go to was closed. So he went to another in a neighbouring suburb which had been recommended. The fish was smaller than our usual place but quite big enough for me and there were plenty of chips over. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We would go there again. 

Leigh

32 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We had fish and chips tonight. When my husband went to buy them, the shop we normally go to was closed. So he went to another in a neighbouring suburb which had been recommended. The fish was smaller than our usual place but quite big enough for me and there were plenty of chips over. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We would go there again. 

Leigh

Mrs Gut wanted fish and chips but our local is shut, indeed for sale, and by the time e decided we weren’t travelling to the next one. So we ate healthy, a magnum ice cream and vanilla slice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Same here, my favourite was closed. My back-up shop in Blacksmiths was open so I  called in there. Made on the premises chips and flat head fillet. This time I spoiled myself and also had a potato scollop. Bought small serve of chips and there were plenty left over.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Same here, my favourite was closed. My back-up shop in Blacksmiths was open so I  called in there. Made on the premises chips and flat head fillet. This time I spoiled myself and also had a potato scollop. Bought small serve of chips and there were plenty left over.

If we are in town I like Scotties, but usually way too busy, Scratchleys but a bit expensive, or the one near the fisherman’s co-op.

We prefer flathead for fish and chips. It's usually supplied as one  box piled high with chips plus another box with enough fish for two people (so the steam off the fish doesn't make the chips go soggy), and that's a single serve. We usually get a small Greek salad as well.

Very limited experience of F&C shops in UK and Aus but FWIW I've found the ones I've patronised here in Melbourne better than UK. The key difference here is that they cook to order, whilst the ones I used in UK took everything from a hot cabinet. The latter, though, is advantageous if you don't want to wait.

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

When I was in SA, I had a few really good serves of beer battered fish and beer battered chips. I was the best I have ever had and probably ever will.

Where exactly?

Mind you, I'm not a big fan of chips with batter on them. I'd rather just have a well cooked crispy chip.

32 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

When I was in SA, I had a few really good serves of beer battered fish and beer battered chips. I was the best I have ever had and probably ever will.

Beer battered chips are uncommon here, beer battered onion rings however are quite popular.

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Beer battered chips are uncommon here, beer battered onion rings however are quite popular.

They aren't that common here but a few places do them. I was quite surprised when I first encountered them. It was like "leave the chips alone, they don't need 'improving' ". Although they aren't heavily battered like the fish is, more like a very, very light tempura. 

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They aren't that common here but a few places do them. I was quite surprised when I first encountered them. It was like "leave the chips alone, they don't need 'improving' ". Although they aren't heavily battered like the fish is, more like a very, very light tempura. 

I'm with you Julie chips are best when fresh cut, blanched in a lower temperature and the crisped up just before serving in a hotter oil. Both of our preferred places do it that way and the chips are never cooked in the same oil as the fish.

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I like onion rings, real, onion rings. I first had them back about 1988 from a Hungry Jacks (Burger King) in Adelaide. I wasn't really keen on onion at all in those days but those rings were yummy. Nowadays they use reconstituted onions - yuk.

7 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I like onion rings, real, onion rings. I first had them back about 1988 from a Hungry Jacks (Burger King) in Adelaide. I wasn't really keen on onion at all in those days but those rings were yummy. Nowadays they use reconstituted onions - yuk.

I think Burger King here has always used reconstituted onions in their onion rings. We have a large burger chain here called A&W and they make fresh breaded onion rings daily and they are quite good, Some of the local pubs and fish and chip shops do beer battered onion rings always a great substitute for fries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think Burger King here has always used reconstituted onions in their onion rings. We have a large burger chain here called A&W and they make fresh breaded onion rings daily and they are quite good, Some of the local pubs and fish and chip shops do beer battered onion rings always a great substitute for fries.

Do you have those yankee chains, Wendys and In and Out Burgers?

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Do you have those yankee chains, Wendys and In and Out Burgers?

Wendy's yes, we like their burgers. In and out Burger no. Burger King has come and gone from Victoria 3 times in my lifetime, right now they have 2 locations here as do Wendy's. McDonalds has by far the most locations followed by A&W. There are several local burger joints that have more outlets than Wendy's or Burger King, Big Wheel Burger and Bin 4 to name just 2.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Wendy's yes, we like their burgers. In and out Burger no. Burger King has come and gone from Victoria 3 times in my lifetime, right now they have 2 locations here as do Wendy's. McDonalds has by far the most locations followed by A&W. There are several local burger joints that have more outlets than Wendy's or Burger King, Big Wheel Burger and Bin 4 to name just 2.

I went to Tim Hortons when we were in Van, cannot recollect if they did burgers or just coffee and doughnuts etc.

Edited by NSWP