re meat pies

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

No Burgers but Sangies and soup, I think they have chili too.

Sambos when you are here Lyle, Sangies in canuck land old son. sarnies in uk.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Roger that Uncle Les, I will add that to my when in Oz vocabulary (Sambo may get a guy some dirty looks up here). I already have snags and dogs eyes don't forget the dead horse. I'm a little week on footy though is that Ozzie rules football or what we in North America call soccer?

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Sorry Les, have to disagree with you. Never heard a sandwich called sambo or should that be sango? I would say that sanger would be most used these days. 

Sangers/Sandwiches

Leigh

56 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Roger that Uncle Les, I will add that to my when in Oz vocabulary (Sambo may get a guy some dirty looks up here). I already have snags and dogs eyes don't forget the dead horse. I'm a little week on footy though is that Ozzie rules football or what we in North America call soccer?

Footy can be any one of a multitude of sports, Soccer, Aussie Rules, either of the Rugby Codes, but more likely League than Union, depending where you are.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Footy can be any one of a multitude of sports, Soccer, Aussie Rules, either of the Rugby Codes, but more likely League than Union, depending where you are.

But if you are here during cruise season, Oct to Apr roughly, most codes will be in their off season.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

As others have said, sanga or similar is much more likely to be used.

Aussie Rules football is nothing like soccer. this video is reasonably accurate

• Like 1

Thanks Adrian, I have watched some Aussie rules football and much prefer it to football (soccer). I do prefer motorsports though mostly Formula 1.

Now that I have almost another full year to study Ozzie slang hopefully I won't look too confused when I arrive at the end of January 2022.

• Like 1

Wendy’s here is way different to America and presumably Canada, basically just milkshakes,  ice cream, maybe a pre cooked hot dog. I think there are one or two that are more a full on take away type place, seem to recall seeing one in Sydney one day. (Out the Hills District if memory serves).

On 1/31/2021 at 8:04 PM, possum52 said:

Sorry Les, have to disagree with you. Never heard a sandwich called sambo or should that be sango? I would say that sanger would be most used these days. 

Sangers/Sandwiches

Leigh

Sambo must be a NSW term, we also use Sanger. Maybe Sambo is not politically correct these days, thus fading into distant memory, forgive me for I am dinosaur. The world is going made, one cannot even say these days.."I fancy going to the Chows for a feed of flied lice and a clown rarger.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not sure i have ever heard anyone say that but you are right, you shouldn't say it.

There were a couple of restaurants in Sydney called Mr Chow and the 'House of Chow'  Mic.

Edited by NSWP

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 8:43 AM, NSWP said:

Sambo must be a NSW term, we also use Sanger. Maybe Sambo is not politically correct these days, thus fading into distant memory, forgive me for I am dinosaur. The world is going made, one cannot even say these days.."I fancy going to the Chows for a feed of flied lice and a clown rarger.

Sambo is a new one on me, always been sangers.

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I was listening to an interview with Curtis Stone and with COVID19 closing his restaurant he has turned it into a pie bakehouse. Meat pies and sausage rolls are flying off the shelves, it seems the Americans are loving our Aussie treats😁👍

It is a wonder the very popular GREGGS has not extended from UK, just about every town and city in UK has one, they line up out the door, so cheap. They could be franchised here.

greggs.jpg.61e43735cad7234b043f75efc1e2dbe0.jpg

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Sambo is a new one on me, always been sangers.

I have heard and used Sangers and Sambos, going back to the mid 1960's, whence I arrived in the Colonies, lol.

Now, how can a hamburger be a hamburger when it is a beefburger, no ham, just beef.

Edited by NSWP

30 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have heard and used Sangers and Sambos, going back to the mid 1960's, whence I arrived in the Colonies, lol.

Now, how can a hamburger be a hamburger when it is a beefburger, no ham, just beef.

Because it's not a ham-burger , it's a hamburg-er. Named after the city of Hamburg in Germany.

• Haha 1

You mean they put a city in between two buns....lol

The Hamburger is speculated to have its origin from Hamburg, Germany's second largest city. In 1847 sailors transitioning between Germany and America would mostly eat a "hamburg steak" which was made of fried beef steak. Later, when Germans moved to America, the carried their delicacy with them.

Another theory is that the hamburger was named after the town of Hamburger in the state of New York, instead of the city of Hamburg in Germany.

Some what before a Big Mac.....     Don

• Haha 1