re meat pies

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

What would be the best way to get to Lane Cove Julie? We have 3 nights in Sydney and making connections with people is more important than seeing "attractions" although I really would like to see the Opera house. I'm not sure whether Eclipse fits under the bridge but that would be interesting, I have been under the Lions Gate bridge several times, once on a cruise ship and the rest on small training vessels with Sea Cadets, I have also been under the Golden Gate in HMCS Yukon also as a Sea Cadet.

When was your cruise Julie? You mentioned that you had a cruise around the same time as ours.

Lyle, sadly the Eclipse will not fit under the  bridge but if you want to sail under it you could do  a quick ferry trip from Darling Harbour  to Circular Quay or, if time permits, a Captain Cook coffee cruise which does a really good commentary  about  the harbour as you cruise around ( I am 95% sure they go under the bridge  on this cruise , I know the lunch and  dinner cruises do) . Also  if you are on the Eclipse I will be working at the OPT terminal that day so make sure you ask for me so that we can meet face to face. What are the dates of your cruise?

Edited by gbenjo

32 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Lyle, sadly the Eclipse will not fit under the  bridge but if you want to sail under it you could do  a quick ferry trip from Darling Harbour  to Circular Quay or, if time permits, a Captain Cook coffee cruise which does a really good commentary  about  the harbour as you cruise around ( I am 95% sure they go under the bridge  on this cruise , I know the lunch and  dinner cruises do) . Also  if you are on the Eclipse I will be working at the OPT terminal that day so make sure you ask for me so that we can meet face to face. What are the dates of your cruise?

We come into Sydney on the 28th of January, I think at 0600hrs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Focusing on local fast food is not the best way to experience Australian cuisine. Australian cuisine is much, much more than pies.

Tasmanian seafood Pie - can't wait for my Tasmanian cruise later in the year. 

21 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Do you sail the same day?

He just sails from Auckland to Sydney on Celebrity Eclipse, then has a little road trip, Vic and NSW, flies back to Canada.

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Or take a ferry to Cockatoo Island dockyard. There's a lot of convict and maritime history there. IIRC it was Australia's largest naval dockyard during WW2. I did that trip a couple of weeks ago and was surprised that there are tents set up for visitors to rent and stay overnight - or longer. It even has a coffee shop.

38 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Or take a ferry to Cockatoo Island dockyard. There's a lot of convict and maritime history there. IIRC it was Australia's largest naval dockyard during WW2. I did that trip a couple of weeks ago and was surprised that there are tents set up for visitors to rent and stay overnight - or longer. It even has a coffee shop.

I reckon the Rivercat, circular quay to Parramatta is great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

There are also buildings you can rent.  When I visited on a weekend, volunteers were working machinery. 

Very interesting historic place.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

He just sails from Auckland to Sydney on Celebrity Eclipse, then has a little road trip, Vic and NSW, flies back to Canada.

Ah .....that makes sense........arriving at 0600 hrs .........being “ out of work” since the start of the pandemic has had an affect on my thinking I guess.  😁

Edited by gbenjo
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

No we sail into Sydney from Auckland. It's a one way cruise🙂

We have the whales migrating up the coast at the moment Lyle.

There’s one in the harbour at the moment.

It”s a long trip from the southern ocean to the tropics.

They like to drop in for a couple of pie’s,they get board with plankton.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NSWP said:

I reckon the Rivercat, circular quay to Parramatta is great.

Some of the tours to the blue mountains drop people off at parramatta ferry with a ticket.

What a great way to finish the day.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Some of the tours to the blue mountains drop people off at parramatta ferry with a ticket.

What a great way to finish the day.

To me that sort of thing is the best option, incorporate it in some other tour. Though going under the bridge in a Ferry etc doesn’t compare to doing it in a ship, we did it a few times on Pacific Princess, up on the open deck at times you thought the funnel would hit the bridge, absolutely spectacular.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

To me that sort of thing is the best option, incorporate it in some other tour. Though going under the bridge in a Ferry etc doesn’t compare to doing it in a ship, we did it a few times on Pacific Princess, up on the open deck at times you thought the funnel would hit the bridge, absolutely spectacular.

When my daughter lived at Drummoyne, I never tired of catching the ferry which went via Cockatoo Island, Luna Park, and under the Bridge to OPT.  My great aunt told me she was on a boat under the Harbour Bridge when the two sides got joined together.  

When they changed where our bus route left from, from QVB to Barangaroo, and before they opened the Wynyard walk from Wynyard Station to Barangaroo, we used to catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Barangaroo as it was the easiest way to get to a convenient and not too busy bus stop, especially late afternoon when the other two CBD bus stops were always crowded with long waits to get on a bus. The ferry trip under the bridge was always a delight.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

When they changed where our bus route left from, from QVB to Barangaroo, and before they opened the Wynyard walk from Wynyard Station to Barangaroo, we used to catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Barangaroo as it was the easiest way to get to a convenient and not too busy bus stop, especially late afternoon when the other two CBD bus stops were always crowded with long waits to get on a bus. The ferry trip under the bridge was always a delight.

We have had ferry trips from Darling Harbour to CQ and also been under then bridge on a cruise ship. I agree Julie, the trip under the bridge is amazing.

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

We have had ferry trips from Darling Harbour to CQ and also been under then bridge on a cruise ship. I agree Julie, the trip under the bridge is amazing.

Leigh

Our first cruise was on P&O Pacific Jewel from Barangaroo, under the bridge. No other harbour has had the same feeling since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We did a walk the other day.Barangaroo to the rocks.

From Richmond a direct train to Wynyard,the Wynyard walk to Barangaroo.

The new crown is open and so is the water front walk.

We discovered something strange,There’s a lift in the cutaway that goes up to stargazer park. I think it was 3-4 stories.

We then walked straight down hill argyle street to the rocks for lunch.

A very easy walk,you could do it in a wheelchair.056CE60F-8186-435E-B5E6-4AA33CE9478C.thumb.jpeg.da47d5eb0a5bc86a7429c65166d24f0c.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Parramatta to circular quay is the better trip.

It builds up from a muddy river,some lovely houses ,little bays .

Then the grand finale with the harbour bridge then the opera house.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

No we sail into Sydney from Auckland. It's a one way cruise🙂

OK...so when you get to the luggage hall to collect your bags make sure you ask one of the staff where I am  ( Benjo or Graham) so that  I can say hello .

On 5/4/2021 at 12:52 AM, gbenjo said:

OK...so when you get to the luggage hall to collect your bags make sure you ask one of the staff where I am  ( Benjo or Graham) so that  I can say hello .

We will do that, I have to start making notes as I get to know more people by name as opposed to screen name.