re meat pies

We had a container of mixed chicken and lamb last night from our local charcoal chicken shop along with their wonderful chips and like Julie, a home made salad. There is enough meat left for dinner tonight which I am heating now to have with Aldi bubble and squeak. Just a quick, tasty meal for dinner.

Leigh

So is "charcoal chicken" actually cooked over a charcoal fire? That sounds interesting. We have any number of places that do whole rotisserie chickens, but they use gas fire. We had one from Costco the other night, $7.00 for the whole cooked chicken, Costco here also has a particularly good pre-package potato salad.

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We like Chargrill Charlies takeaway chooks. In fact we're having one tonight along with their very yummy wedges, plus a homemade salad.

I just checked out their website, now that is a great looking take away. There are so many places that are coming up in conversation that we would like to try alas only so much time.

Does anyone else get sick after eating charcoal grilled food?  I used to get sick after eating at Pubs which cooked on outside charcoal grills.  On investigation, I discovered it was like having 200 cigarettes.

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well Julie I just showed Lynn the Chargrill Charlie's website and now we have to try and find one close to where we will be.

You will have to send an Uber over the bridge to get you some Lyle, not sure they are in the City.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Does anyone else get sick after eating charcoal grilled food?  I used to get sick after eating at Pubs which cooked on outside charcoal grills.  On investigation, I discovered it was like having 200 cigarettes.

Charcoal is great, adds flavour, I like meat burnt.

donegans-steak-house.jpg.301454d910ce542d5d61ba8a6759d5d6.jpg

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well Julie I just showed Lynn the Chargrill Charlie's website and now we have to try and find one close to where we will be.

There are quite a few around Sydney but they are pretty much all in the suburbs. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Unfortunately yes charring is not particularly healthy, though good charcoal chicken shouldn't be very charred. Apparently if you soak your meat for at least 4 hours in beer before charring it will reduce the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons that are the cancer causing properties in charred meat. Darker the beer the better. 

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There are quite a few around Sydney but they are pretty much all in the suburbs. 

Your best bet would be the one at Bondi Beach. It's in one of the side streets running back from the beach, about a block back from the main road past the beach (Campbell Parade). Pick up some chook etc and eat it overlooking the beach.

However as much as I like Chargrill Charlies for a takeaway meal there is so much more interesting food in Sydney, especially if you like Asian food as where you're staying has a great variety of Asian restaurants. There is one, in Bathurst St, just over the road from St Andrews Cathedral and the Town Hall tram stop, that has fantastic modern pan-Asian food. Think Peking duck wrapped in roti instead of pancakes for example. It's called Chef's Gallery.

• Thanks 1

Charcoal Charlies @ Lane Cove is generally busy when I pass by. My son gets some food there now and again.  Bit expensive though, checked their menu..like $20 for a charcoal bbq chook?  Double Woollies/IGA etc.

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Charcoal Charlies @ Lane Cove is generally busy when I pass by. My son gets some food there now and again.  Bit expensive though, checked their menu..like $20 for a charcoal bbq chook?  Double Woollies/IGA etc.

Yes, Chargrill Charlies @ Lane Cove is very popular. And, yes, not cheap but twice as nice as Woolies/Coles chooks and much bigger as well so plenty of leftovers for sandwiches. 

On 5/2/2021 at 12:39 AM, Blackduck59 said:

There are so many places that are coming up in conversation that we would like to try alas only so much time.

Yes, there are so many places on the 'must try' list. Here we have a very varied number of cuisines to try, from all over the world, like so many places around the world. So, for me the idea would be to try & focus on the local things to gain the experience of being here, rather than eating 'imported' food styles. You can get Italian, Chinese, Thai  etc anywhere & here you get good restaurants for these & other styles, but I suggest you try & eat the local stuff like Harry's or Freddo's or Garlo's pies, BBQ chook, vegemite sandwich, hamburger with the lot etc etc. And in NZ, homemade sausage rolls & white bait fritters etc.& even a cappuccino with cinnamon sprinkled on top rather than chocolate 🙂  

My boss from US travels the world on business & mostly eats at the Chinese restaurants in Shangri-La hotels where ever he is?????

I am getting hungry just writing this!

• Thanks 1

Focusing on local fast food is not the best way to experience Australian cuisine. Australian cuisine is much, much more than pies, no matter how good they are. Fresh seafood, local produce including kangaroo, unusual native ingredients, all combine to provide unique food experiences. However a big part of our food culture is Asian fusion, not just focusing on one Asian cuisine but combining Asian flavours in unusual and interesting ways. You need to try it all!

I mentioned that our favourite pie shop at Woodburn had closed.  Well my daughter tried the other shop and their pies weren't too bad.  So worth calling in to Woodburn for their modern tourist information office and toilets on the river and a cafe which sells proper milk shakes in metal containers.  

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Focusing on local fast food is not the best way to experience Australian cuisine. Australian cuisine is much, much more than pies, no matter how good they are. Fresh seafood, local produce including kangaroo, unusual native ingredients, all combine to provide unique food experiences. However a big part of our food culture is Asian fusion, not just focusing on one Asian cuisine but combining Asian flavours in unusual and interesting ways. You need to try it all!

Thanks Julie, I'm fairly adventuresome but Lynn not so much. I have had Australian beef here but I didn't like it that much, I am hoping that it will be better fresh. I have had locally raised Emu which was okay but perhaps would be better if prepared by someone  more familiar with that meat. I also want to try the kangaroo. Lynn will definitely be looking at the lamb and chooks. We have a rather diverse culinary scene here in Victoria but seem to fall into going to the same places all the time. Hopefully we can try some new places once they open things up.

Rest assured we won't be eating many things we can easily get here.

Lyle, if everything aligns on your visit to Sydney, & you have time it would be great if we could arrange to take you & Lynn to a very special place for lunch. It is out in the west of Sydney & was originally an overnight stop on the Cobb & Co coaches on the run to the west. Much of the property is kept in authentic style, including the stables. It is one of our special places, a secret from most people as it is off the beaten track.

If Uncle Les ever ventures out this way, it's close to Dodge City as he calls it, I will happily take him there also 🙂

3 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Lyle, if everything aligns on your visit to Sydney, & you have time it would be great if we could arrange to take you & Lynn to a very special place for lunch. It is out in the west of Sydney & was originally an overnight stop on the Cobb & Co coaches on the run to the west. Much of the property is kept in authentic style, including the stables. It is one of our special places, a secret from most people as it is off the beaten track.

If Uncle Les ever ventures out this way, it's close to Dodge City as he calls it, I will happily take him there also 🙂

Sounds like a plan, how all we have to do is figure out how to get there, we aren't planning to get the hire car until the morning that we are leaving Sydney for Canberra. We will figure it out somehow. Funny thing when we get home people will ask if we went to whichever tourist attraction and we may or may not have but we will have met friends and enjoyed visiting with real people.

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And if all of you want to venture to Lane Cove I'll introduce you to one of the newer stars on our dining scene, with pan-Asian and Asian fusion cuisine.

What would be the best way to get to Lane Cove Julie? We have 3 nights in Sydney and making connections with people is more important than seeing "attractions" although I really would like to see the Opera house. I'm not sure whether Eclipse fits under the bridge but that would be interesting, I have been under the Lions Gate bridge several times, once on a cruise ship and the rest on small training vessels with Sea Cadets, I have also been under the Golden Gate in HMCS Yukon also as a Sea Cadet.

When was your cruise Julie? You mentioned that you had a cruise around the same time as ours.

52 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Penriff Panthers for a joe blake?

• Like 1

Just now, Docker123 said:

You could do the bridge climb. 

Try and coordinate it with a ship going under.

For quite a bit of travel around Sydney, public transport can be a better option than driving.

We figured that public transit was the way to go that's why the car wasn't until we are leaving Sydney.

Driving under a bridge on a ship is one thing, climbing it is another thing. We don't do heights, it's a thing.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

We figured that public transit was the way to go that's why the car wasn't until we are leaving Sydney.

Driving under a bridge on a ship is one thing, climbing it is another thing. We don't do heights, it's a thing.

Do not need a car in Sydney CBD, no where to park and too much congestion, cabs, ubers, trains, buses, trams, way to go. Sydney CBD to Lane Cove about $40 by cab, done it a couple of times.