re meat pies

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Julie and Rolf went to Sandbar and gave it top marks. The other 5 foodies on my table were all from Canberra, with holiday homes down here. Current and former Govt highflyers, lol. Nice people.

I'm so glad you had lovely company.  Julie and Rolf, Mario and I agree with you.  We've been twice, each time an exceptional experience.  I've started hinting again, lol.  I have some photos somewhere, I'll post one or two later.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks for the wrap, and for posting the menu, Les.  It's a shame the wines weren't treated with respect, especially since the winemakers personnel were in attendance.  Torbreck's "Woodcutters" is a very popular red at our golf club.  Haven't been to dine there for a while but meeting friends for dinner tomorrow night, so I hope it's still on the list.  I agree with you:  I cannot tolerate warmish white wine.  I like it crisp and very cool, preferably so cool the glass is frosted.  The menu looks really enticing, but if you're going to pay that amount, "Sandbar" in Quays Hotel/Motel at the Bay works out about the same, for a special occasion.  Apparently people are travelling from Sydney and spending the night at the Bay just to dine there.  It is exquisite, offering Japanese-French fusion.  The presentation is exceptional.  Disclaimer:  it's a cruise or a dining experience, at these prices😜 

We were very lucky when we stopped in Bateman's Bay last year to catch up with Les and enjoy the local river cruising. It was a last minute decision to take the coast road from Melbourne, there wasn't much accommodation available so we ended up at Quays. We were delighted to discover it had a restaurant of the calibre of Sandbar and were very lucky to be able to get a table there at short notice. It was a superb meal. Japanese- French is one of my favourite fusions. It was a lovely way to finish our trip.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Cheers, that's probably why for you it's candy floss. Out here on the wet coast it's always been cotton candy (at least at the fairs I attended)

I always called it Fairy Floss.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

"It is made and sold globally, as candy floss in the UK, Ireland, Egypt, India (also known as grandma's hair), New Zealand, Sri Lanka, and South Africa; as "girls hair" in United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia; and as fairy floss in Australia. Similar confections include Korean kkul-tarae and Persian pashmak."

Oddly it doesn't mention Canada or the US.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

"It is made and sold globally, as candy floss in the UK, Ireland, Egypt, India (also known as grandma's hair), New Zealand, Sri Lanka, and South Africa; as "girls hair" in United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia; and as fairy floss in Australia. Similar confections include Korean kkul-tarae and Persian pashmak."

Oddly it doesn't mention Canada or the US.

Apparently we couldn't agree on a name in Canada 😁. I wonder if the names used for that spun sugar confection split along party lines in the US 😉

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Apparently we couldn't agree on a name in Canada 😁. I wonder if the names used for that spun sugar confection split along party lines in the US 😉

Im sure the Woke mob will object to it being called fairy floss…at least the vegans should be ok with it. 🤔🤔🤔……then again???

Edited by gbenjo
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Im sure the Woke mob will object to it being called fairy floss…at least the vegans should be ok with it. 🤔🤔🤔……then again???

It could just be an abbreviation of Tooth Fairy floss 

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

A sample if Chef David’s craft at Sandbar above

Great looking food there @ Sandbar Linda, but perhaps a bit radical for me.

Edited by NSWP

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Great looking food there @ Sandbar Linda, but perhaps a bit radical for me.

It’s different, and a culinary experience, Les, and I acknowledge it’s not for everyone.  The elements involved in each very individual dish are complex, and I’m certain, demand incredible patience in creating what are essentially unique flavours.  It’s certainly not what we’d all describe as comfort food on a cold and rainy day such as here in Canberra right now, but it left me wanting more.  That’s perfect food for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

Definitely.  They’re carbon fairies🤣

Oh, and Les, that Friulano pinot grigio (served sublimely chilled) is another reason to return to Sandbar.  Do you remember which wine you chose, Julie?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

It’s different, and a culinary experience, Les, and I acknowledge it’s not for everyone.  The elements involved in each very individual dish are complex, and I’m certain, demand incredible patience in creating what are essentially unique flavours.  It’s certainly not what we’d all describe as comfort food on a cold and rainy day such as here in Canberra right now, but it left me wanting more.  That’s perfect food for me.

When you look at each dish you think it's just airy-fairy art on a plate but when you taste everything it's just amazing and it's not as insubstantal as it looks. By the time we'd finished the full meal I was stuffed, and very thankful that we only had to stagger a few doors down to our room.

Some of the flavour combinations sounded a bit strange on the menu but they worked so well together. It really is an exceptional restaurant.

• Like 1