re meat pies

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

They don't. Name one gay person or organisation who cares what fairy penguins are called.

The name change from 'fairy penguin' to 'little penguin' could have been to bring Australia into line with other places in the world and nothing to do with political correctness. Other names have been changed - 'saltwater crocodiles' are now called 'estuarine crocodiles'.

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think perhaps you may want to rethink the "foreign owned" thing. You should look at the jobs in Australia created by the enterprise in question. Chances are that if the business was not bought by a foreign company (I think in this case Saputo which is a Canadian company) the whole operation may have closed down taking all those jobs (including the dairies who supplied the milk) with them.

Not really. We still eat cheese, mostly Bega cheese that Les referred to. As Bega continues to grow, they have even bought former Kraft processing assets, which the foreign owner deemed to not be profitable enough to continue with (regardless of jobs or the dairies that supplied it).

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The name change from 'fairy penguin' to 'little penguin' could have been to bring Australia into line with other places in the world and nothing to do with political correctness. Other names have been changed - 'saltwater crocodiles' are now called 'estuarine crocodiles'.

What are Freshwater Crocodiles called these days?  H20 amphibians, lol.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

What are Freshwater Crocodiles called these days?  H20 amphibians, lol.

Freshwater crocs are still freshwater crocs. I suspect the reason the name of Salties was changed was because they are found not only in saltwater. They usually live in rivers and streams.

CB_Range.jpg.994183589324acbbdfea549411db9927.jpg

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Not really. We still eat cheese, mostly Bega cheese that Les referred to. As Bega continues to grow, they have even bought former Kraft processing assets, which the foreign owner deemed to not be profitable enough to continue with (regardless of jobs or the dairies that supplied it).

Bega Cheese is good, the visitor centre at Bega has reopened. Perhaps the cruise shop tours from port calls @ Eden are calling in there.

Cracker Barrel is also a good one.

cheese.jpg.374444054b93d8ebc1e15ed94e714917.jpg

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Estuarine is more accurate, as they also live comfortably in freshwater.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Bega Cheese is good, the visitor centre at Bega has reopened. Perhaps the cruise shop tours from port calls @ Eden are calling in there.

CB.png.f3d9e1ced1a308cbfacd3c58b24613f8.pngcheese.jpg.374444054b93d8ebc1e15ed94e714917.jpg

I'm a Strong & Bitey person, especially on my toasties. I will have to suss that out for our October cruise that calls in Eden. Looks interesting, but would prefer to watch those blessed cheesemakers in action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's totally ridiculous! Changing the name of a bird because part of the name is misused elsewhere.

And what are they going to do about fairy stories that little girls love? Are they going to change the name of these mythical creatures? 

What about fairy godmothers? 

No one has changed the name from Fairy penguins  rather the other way around, Aussies started to call them that.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

CB_Range.jpg.994183589324acbbdfea549411db9927.jpg

cheese.jpg.374444054b93d8ebc1e15ed94e714917.jpg

Cracker Barrel used to be a Kraft Brand, in Canada it was bought by Parmalat Canada (a subsidiary of an Italian company) and now it is owned by Lactalis Canada. Nobody stopped buying Cracker Barrel after Kraft sold it, we just liked the cheese. There are several brands that used to compete with each other that are owned by the same parent company now. Is the chees still tasty? That's all that matters. I don't care who owns the company, I just want good cheese made in Canada with Canadian dairy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's totally ridiculous! Changing the name of a bird because part of the name is misused elsewhere.

That's pretty much the opposite of what I said.

There are three common names for Eudyptula novaehollandiae, Fairy Penguin, Little Penguin and Blue Penguin. The names have not changed, they just vary from place to place.

You can use any one of them that you like. There is no one coming after anybody who uses the "wrong" name, because nobody cares which name you use. There is no "woke mob" of gay radicals demanding one name over the others. Nobody is that petty. The only people who care about this are the sort who ring up Talk Radio jocks because they heard something somewhere and need to complain about it.

43 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

There are three common names for Eudyptula novaehollandiae, Fairy Penguin, Little Penguin and Blue Penguin. The names have not changed, they just vary from place to place.

You can use any one of them that you like. There is no one coming after anybody who uses the "wrong" name, because nobody cares which name you use. There is no "woke mob" of gay radicals demanding one name over the others. Nobody is that petty. The only people who care about this are the sort who ring up Talk Radio jocks because they heard something somewhere and need to complain about it.

Phew! The world hasn't gone totally insane then. What a relief! 😊

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Well I’m glad I don’t have to change my username…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And what are they going to do about fairy stories that little girls love? Are they going to change the name of these mythical creatures? 

What about fairy godmothers? 

Cinderella will never get to the ball.  Maybe she’s cancelled too😱

3 hours ago, Jean C said:

Personally I like my viruses to have accurate names😂. If Monkeys are not the reservoir animal makes sense to change the name. Like Spanish Flu (rebranded the 1918 Influenza Pandemic) not being from Spain it is just giving people misinformation. 

10 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I wonder if there was outrage when the name of the jabiru was changed to black necked stork?

Or if people know why?

The black-necked stork is often called the ‘jabiru’. However, this name actually refers to a large South American stork that is quite different to our black-necked species.

You learn something everyday.

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The black-necked stork is often called the ‘jabiru’. However, this name actually refers to a large South American stork that is quite different to our black-necked species.

You learn something everyday.

I, like others, assumed that jabiru was an Aboriginal name for the bird. Seems not.

At a photography competition, the bird presenter said this was not correct. Jabiru is the South American bird and language of the name.

Some bird people can be very strident.

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Cracker Barrel used to be a Kraft Brand, in Canada it was bought by Parmalat Canada (a subsidiary of an Italian company) and now it is owned by Lactalis Canada. Nobody stopped buying Cracker Barrel after Kraft sold it, we just liked the cheese. There are several brands that used to compete with each other that are owned by the same parent company now. Is the chees still tasty? That's all that matters. I don't care who owns the company, I just want good cheese made in Canada with Canadian dairy.

A big commercial cheese cooperative in Victoria, Australia now has the Cracker Barrel label and makes several cheeses with different labels.